Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

He had a hell of a bond with his players at Dortmund as well but that didn't stop them leaving for Munich.

I'm not saying Coutinho or any player for that matter will leave but the club need to have ironclad contracts so if they do leave it's not on the cheap.

That's pretty much it. If a player is local he will perhaps be more inclined to not agitate fora move from a club like Liverpool, but even that is not a certainty if there is enough money/prestige on the line. Players may well be happy with the club, manager, everything, but for most if the chance of something huge comes up they will try to make it happen and we have hope they get the best deal for the club if they do end up leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

He had a hell of a bond with his players at Dortmund as well but that didn't stop them leaving for Munich.

I'm not saying Coutinho or any player for that matter will leave but the club need to have ironclad contracts so if they do leave it's not on the cheap.

Yeah that's a fair point man about Dortmund. But they were in a position where they (the club itself) were looking to take the money and sell.
    If bids get accepted its different to a player wanting out.

We, at present, are not.

So while I totally see your point, I don't think we will sell anyone without Klopp having his say.
    And we won't do it for the quick buck either.

It's a different situation. I'm not saying it will completely prevent players leaving, I'm only saying it could help dissuade them from going.

Plus, aside from the players Dortmund sold, how many others would have gone only for Klopp? We don't know.

And anyway..... sure look its all hypothetical. We're probably all over-reacting to the thought of someone wanting to move on when that hasn't happened yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Realistically we are only going to lose our best players to one of three clubs Barca, Madrid or Munich so put in astronomic buyout and escape clauses in the players contracts those clubs can afford the money if they really want a player.

Realistically we are only going to lose our best players to one of three clubs Barca, Madrid or Munich so put in astronomic buyout and escape clauses in the players contracts those clubs can afford the money if they really want a player.

aye, but an agent isn't going to advise his player to sign off on "astronomical" buy out clause if he thinks he can get a move in 2 years time.

I'd be mindful of Sterling with that list above btw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sterling was not a top top player even if he seemed like one of the best members of the squad at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The way i see it is sterling would be on the bench for us these days. We did well to get so much for him and everyone seems happy with the deal

Sterling was not a top top player even if he seemed like one of the best members of the squad at that time.

The point is that it was a player leaving who we didn't actually want to sell.
    And yes he was one of our "top players" at the time.
    Whether we like it or not.
    You said "one of our best players" and now its changed to "not a top top player".

Anyway... screw it, who cares. It's mad how easy it is to get sucked into irrelevant discussions on forums :)

Feck Sterling! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

One thing I'll compliment FSG on, they get good money for players that are sold :)

eyerer wrote: »
    One thing I'll compliment FSG on, they get good money for players that are sold :)

Yep, big time. We used to get hammered both ways. Things have become way more prudent/sensible these days.

I'd be thanking Klopp for the benteke one though. He played it perfectly.
    And that was one of the first times in yonks that I can recall a Liverpool manager talking freely about a transfer fee for a player to be sold.
    A good sign.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I see Victor Moses got a double for Nigeria tonight-he's fast becoming the most unlikely "one that got away" I've ever seen leave Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

sabat wrote: »
    I see Victor Moses got a double for Nigeria tonight-he's fast becoming the most unlikely "one that got away" I've ever seen leave Liverpool.

I think we only had him on loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

gafferino wrote: »
    I think we only had him on loan

We did but he'd be a similar one that got away to Anelka. Not there yet but he is having a good season in his new position in fairness to him

8-10 wrote: »
    We did but he'd be a similar one that got away to Anelka. Not there yet but he is having a good season in his new position in fairness to him

Good luck to him. To quote another poster (and mean it):

I didn't want him anyway.

Yeah not taking the permanent move for Anelka was a mistake at the time.
    Was it Diouf we signed instead?

I wouldn't regret anything about Moses though. Good luck to him and all but I still wouldn't be overly gone on him personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

5starpool wrote: »
    Good luck to him. To quote another poster (and mean it):

I didn't want him anyway.
    Moses probably didn't want to score anyway...

Well he didn't want to score the other 19 goals anyway.

I take that tweet with a pinch of salt, but it sounds nice. Klopp makes him feel at home so he doesn't need to be at Real etc :)
    I guess we'll see in a couple of years!

Dahoud is a DM right?

eyerer wrote: »
    I take that tweet with a pinch of salt, but it sounds nice. Klopp makes him feel at home so he doesn't need to be at Real etc :)
    I guess we'll see in a couple of years!

Dahoud is a DM right?
    A CM but can play there or further forward.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/mahmoud-dahoud/profil/spieler/191422

• Advertisement

Whose position will he threaten?

I'm not really sure why we'd want Dahoud as things stand - Can isn't going anywhere I imagine, nor Henderson, Wiji only just got here, Ejaria and Stewart are also young enough to make an impact be it as starters or cover. Allan is one for the future as well. Only Lucas is at the end of his time with the club in the summer (surely this time!).

very late edit - and I forgot Grujic! (thanks Agent Coulson)

Well as Stewart has done in general when he has played, I don't see him ever a regular starter for us barring in the event of a real injury crisis, so not by design anyhow.

With a bit of luck we will be fighting on four fronts next season and it would be good to have at the very least four first team players competing for the two starting CM roles.

Henderson, Can, Wijnaldum & Dahoud ably supported by Stewart, Grujic & Ejaria

That sounds good, and this gives him time to bed in before next season. If Gladbach sell this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Ejaria and Stewart are also young enough to make an impact be it as starters or cover

While 23 is young Stewart is actually older than Can, I wouldn't put him in the same bracket as an 18 year old in terms of youth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Ah no Moses never 'got away', he was poor most of the time. Anelka iirc wasn't signed permanently due to wages or something. Big mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I remember Moses scoring (or assisting?) on his debut for us, and thinking "Looks like Brendan got another one right". I don't think he did anything for us after that - and eventually he wasn't even making the subs.

He and Aspas were absolutely awful that season. There was no talent on the bench at all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I remember Moses scoring (or assisting?) on his debut for us, and thinking "Looks like Brendan got another one right". I don't think he did anything for us after that - and eventually he wasn't even making the subs.

He and Aspas were absolutely awful that season. There was no talent on the bench at all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I liked Rodgers as a coach but some of the signings during his first season at the club were absolute ****e. I remember it being reported that he was after Clint Dempsey and Sigurrson I think we got Borini and Allen because of a combination of FSG not funding the deal because of Dempsey's age and Spurs having the horn for every player we were interested in.

Then there was guys brought in and shipped out on loan nearly immediately and never getting much of a chance. It was a strange strategy by the club but they seemed to have a better system in place now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Victor Moses was one of the laziest most uninterested players I've seen at Liverpool, pissed me of whenever he got on the pitch.

• Advertisement

I don't think there is a single position he would be a definite starter in, more part of a rotation of players in multiple positions.

It was telling this week when Klopp give the non international players a week off to combat fatigue. With Dahoud in the squad, I imagine Klopp will do a good bit of rotation depending on the opponents and the competition we are playing in next year with Dahoud rotating with Henderson/Can/Wijnaldum for one of the 3 midfield spots.

I don't think there is a single position he would be a definite starter in, more part of a rotation of players in multiple positions.

It was telling this week when Klopp give the non international players a week off to combat fatigue. With Dahoud in the squad, I imagine Klopp will do a good bit of rotation depending on the opponents and the competition we are playing in next year with Dahoud rotating with Henderson/Can/Wijnaldum for one of the 3 midfield spots.

One thing I hope, if we do get top 4, is that we buy the right calibre of player. So if Wijnaldum, Henderson and Can are very good players, but someone else is available who is another level, then I'm happier to get them in rather than not because we already have the lads we do. I don't know if this is that guy but if he's at least got the potential to be the best CM of the lot then we sign him. That's how we improve

:pac:

Gary McAllister speaking about the 2001 UEFA cup final.
    "I was taking a corner in the 2nd half and Robbie Fowler was warming up next to me in front of our supporters and suddenly there was a thud.

"Robbie and I both looked at it and I said: 'Is that a…?'

'Yes, Gary, that is a sex toy.' Robbie said.

"Nonchalantly, Robbie walked over to it, flicked it up with his right foot and volleyed it back into the crowd with his left.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Could it be that Wijnaldum (being an attacking player before Liverpool) goes forward when Mane is away and there's a gap in midfield where he left behind

Cant remember if this was mentioned here but apparently Jurgen Klopp met with Brendan Rodgers at his house after Jurgen got the Liverpool job. Rodgers said he would help him in any way he could with Klopp coming into LFC.

Many here don't like BR and think he's cringey but I think he's a nice guy.......a nice touch of class if true IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭Damien360

NukaCola wrote: »
    Cant remember if this was mentioned here but apparently Jurgen Klopp met with Brendan Rodgers at his house after Jurgen got the Liverpool job. Rodgers said he would help him in any way he could with Klopp coming into LFC.

Many here don't like BR and think he's cringey but I think he's a nice guy.......a nice touch of class if true IMO.

That story was put out by BR and I don't remember if it was confirmed by Klopp. Still think he is a twat.

Joe Gomez is playing in a game against Accrington Stanley right now.

edit - ended 5-0 to Acc er no Liverpool, Gomez came on in the second half.

Joe Gomez is playing in a game against Accrington Stanley right now.

Damien360 wrote: »
    That story was put out by BR and I don't remember if it was confirmed by Klopp. Still think he is a twat.

I'd find it absolutely amazing if it wasn't true after he said it on live TV tbh, no idea why he'd lie.

You thinking someone is a twat without meeting or knowing anything about him, apart from the job they did, says more about you than him tbh.

No game this weekend,so I've downloaded the Watford game and going to watch it again as last week watching it I was just after waking up with a massive hangover/still drunk (I was in the US so early morning) and watched it on my phone, so I'll pretend it's on now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

open a match thread there for the lols

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

No game this weekend,so I've downloaded the Watford game and going to watch it again as last week watching it I was just after waking up with a massive hangover/still drunk (I was in the US so early morning) and watched it on my phone, so I'll pretend it's on now.

Sorry for spoiling it but we won. Bigly.

From the Daily Fail, Liverpool players average salary is £57k a week. I've included a link to imgur:rolleyes:

http://imgur.com/VhQITaY

VhQITaY.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Is that the average of the first 23 or how many ?did not think palace would have that high an average

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

United top of the table, hopefully the only table they are top of for a long time

Sorry for spoiling it but we won. Bigly.

Don't believe you. Still 0-0 halfway through the first half. We've passed up a load of chances. We're going to lose to a sucker punch, I can feel it in my waters.

Actually, true story, before I woke up fully last weekend to watch the game I dreamed I read online that we won 6-1. I had a similar dream this morning about the Southampthon game and we win that one 0-4 according to my dream. Ridiculous really the notion that we'd get a clean sheet. If we are 3 up a t half time and win by that scoreline next weekend, then aside from being really happy I'll be a bit weirded out, plus annoyed that I didn't back the scoreline.

From the Daily Fail, Liverpool players average salary is £57k a week. I've included a link to imgur:rolleyes:

http://imgur.com/VhQITaY

VhQITaY.jpg

Seems a dodgy list what about the mega wages at some of the Chinese clubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Seems a dodgy list what about the mega wages at some of the Chinese clubs?

Its sorted by average wages, not by highest paid player.
    Presumably in China theres 2 or 3 (whatever the quota is) foreign stars on each team earning $10M a year, but lots of local players on 'pennies' thus taking the average down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭mormank

Don't believe you. Still 0-0 halfway through the first half. We've passed up a load of chances. We're going to lose to a sucker punch, I can feel it in my waters.

Actually, true story, before I woke up fully last weekend to watch the game I dreamed I read online that we won 6-1. I had a similar dream this morning about the Southampthon game and we win that one 0-4 according to my dream. Ridiculous really the notion that we'd get a clean sheet. If we are 3 up a t half time and win by that scoreline next weekend, then aside from being really happy I'll be a bit weirded out, plus annoyed that I didn't back the scoreline.

Us winning 4-0 is 45-1 on Paddy right now. Surely worth a cheeky tenner then? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Damien360 wrote: »

I'll never understand this logic. The man gave his all for the club, almost won the league, and understood the club and the fans in a way the Roy Hodgson, for example, totally failed to do.

Ultimately it didn't work out, but I can't see how anyone wouldn't respect Brendan Rodgers and wish him well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement