Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

In general some fans aren't great as fans. Remember the liverpool supporters that were always laughing at BR's teeth, tan and hair or whatever.. or voice.. You'd be expecting that **** from United fans.
    Or worse still the ones that did nothing but criticise Kenny.
    I think not replacing Suarez evenly remotely adequately (Ballotelli anyone) was BR's biggest mistake, but quite a few other bad signings too tbh. Still, under BR Liverpool became a very enjoyable side to watch. A far cry from Hodgeson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭Damien360

Knex. wrote: »
    I'll never understand this logic. The man gave his all for the club, almost won the league, and understood the club and the fans in a way the Roy Hodgson, for example, totally failed to do.

Ultimately it didn't work out, but I can't see how anyone wouldn't respect Brendan Rodgers and wish him well.

There is an effort to re-paint his failures, and make it all ok because of one good season.

I believed he was a spoofer a long time ago during his reign and have said as much here when asked for reasoning, which I gave. I have seen a few press conferences from his current tenure and I see the same waffle.

He is not a good manager and the one season we had, I would attribute to the skill of Suarez. We collapsed after that and became a laughing stock. His bizarre team pick and substitutions during that period made my mind up for me that he was a spoofer then and still is.

As LFC fans, very often no criticism is allowed whatsoever. I stand by my thoughts on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Damien360 wrote: »
    As LFC fans, very often no criticism is allowed whatsoever. I stand by my thoughts on him.

Criticism is fine. You dont think he's a good manager which is fine. You think Suarez is the main reason he done well here is fine. You dont think he should get any credit for getting Swansea promoted and keeping them up either? Currently doing well with Celtic but you dont count either I guess. Regardless, if you dont rate him thats ok, I dont agree but thats fine.

However, calling Brendan Rodgers a twat and a spoofer is bad form.

I dont understand why people like you still hold a huge grudge or why you hold a grudge in the first place? Just like last week when I made a post about 2 past managers and our current manager are leading their leagues, in you come with a dig at Rodgers......its weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

NukaCola wrote: »
    Cant remember if this was mentioned here but apparently Jurgen Klopp met with Brendan Rodgers at his house after Jurgen got the Liverpool job. Rodgers said he would help him in any way he could with Klopp coming into LFC.

Many here don't like BR and think he's cringey but I think he's a nice guy.......a nice touch of class if true IMO.

Andy Gray. *shivers* Now that is a twat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭Damien360

Criticism is fine. You dont think he's a good manager which is fine. You think Suarez is the main reason he done well here is fine. You dont think he should get any credit for getting Swansea promoted and keeping them up either? Currently doing well with Celtic but you dont count either I guess. Regardless, if you dont rate him thats ok, I dont agree but thats fine.

However, calling Brendan Rodgers a twat and a spoofer is bad form.

I dont understand why people like you still hold a huge grudge or why you hold a grudge in the first place? Just like last week when I made a post about 2 past managers and our current manager are leading their leagues, in you come with a dig at Rodgers......its weird.

If anything I have been consistent in my criticism. Mods sent me a warning for calling him a twat. He must be in here somewhere.

• Advertisement

If anything I have been consistent in my criticism. Mods sent me a warning for calling him a twat. He must be in here somewhere.

Yes, you have in fairness.....

Consistently calling someone a twat doesn't make them a twat, though. Unless it's Andy Gray or Richard Keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

There is an effort to re-paint his failures, and make it all ok because of one good season.

I believed he was a spoofer a long time ago during his reign and have said as much here when asked for reasoning, which I gave. I have seen a few press conferences from his current tenure and I see the same waffle.

He is not a good manager and the one season we had, I would attribute to the skill of Suarez. We collapsed after that and became a laughing stock. His bizarre team pick and substitutions during that period made my mind up for me that he was a spoofer then and still is.

There is an effort to downplay his tenure, one good season huh? That's a bit of an under sell isn't it, it was only arguably the best league season in 25 odd years. It was certainly the most enjoyable league season in ages, we were battering teams all around us, you might not want to give it but BR definitely deserves plenty of credit for it and at the very least some respect wouldn't go astray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Rodgers like all managers should be judged on what they do when things go wrong, on that score he failed utterly. We were too soft on him at the time, that time being when he caught lightning in a bottle. When the spark died so did his "inspiration".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

As exciting as the 13/14 season was, we had the title in our own hands and pretty much blew it. So it was a failure in essence.

This talk of nearly winning the league as being something to brag about is frankly small time in my estimation.

I can't imagine klopp accepting nearly winning something as a great boast.

And to be fair it's not Rodgers who's saying it, it's the people that can't stop bringing him up randomly.

Rodgers can say and act how he likes. That's someone else's concern now.

Jurgen Klopp is LFC manager now. Be happy, be very very happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Being happy and thinking finishing second in the league is the greatest thing in 25 years is along the lines of giving everyone a medal for participating.

Not one member of any Liverpool team that won the league ever would consider finishing second a good thing.

Lads this is 2016 calling, it's time to step out of the 80's and realise where you're at, I thought posting here from your mobile or laptop might have been a bit of a clue....

Rodgers like all managers should be judged on what they do when things go wrong, on that score he failed utterly

Wouldn't nearly every manager fail in this scenario seeing as the vast majority of managers get sacked when things go wrong?

Being happy and thinking finishing second in the league is the greatest thing in 25 years is along the lines of giving everyone a medal for participating.

Behave.......no-one said it was the greatest thing in 25 years, and its not comparable to giving a medal to everyone for participating.

If you cant look back at that season fondly despite falling short, then football is not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

A season when you do an awful lot better than you thought you would do is a successful season. There is no point comparing it to the teams of the 80s as we had the best squad in the league back then.

Lads this is 2016 calling, it's time to step out of the 80's and realise where you're at, I thought posting here from your mobile or laptop might have been a bit of a clue....

Last I looked we are at the top of the table.

Behave.......no-one said it was the greatest thing in 25 years, and its not comparable to giving a medal to everyone for participating.

If you cant look back at that season fondly despite falling short, then football is not for you.

Football is about winning trophies for a club like Liverpool not finishing second be that the league a league cup or a champions league.

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Last I looked we are at the top of the table.

Just imagining you at home in your shell tracksuit and perm, checking the table on teletext!:D

Football is about winning trophies for a club like Liverpool not finishing second be that the league a league cup or a champions league.

Jive talk imo, puffing your chest out, we are Liverpool kind of clap trap, the times have changed, get with it, no wonder we get mocked for living on past glories.

Last couple of posts wouldn't look out of place in the utd thread. Very odd sentiments

• Advertisement

Poster called Rodgers a twat.

Other posters called him on it. Despite his many flaws, he seems a quite decent bloke and was, ultimately, out of his depth.

Suggesting that he's not a twat isn't defending Rodgers' tenure per se. Funny how polarised these wee discussions so very quickly become.

Anyway, that Roy Hodgson, eh?

mosstin wrote: »
    Poster called Rodgers a twat.

Other posters called him on it. Despite his many flaws, he seems a quite decent bloke and was, ultimately, out of his depth.

Suggesting that he's not a twat isn't defending Rodgers' tenure per se. Funny how polarised these wee discussions so very quickly become.

Anyway, that Roy Hodgson, eh?

who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

There ain't no medals handed out for topping the league in November, however nice it feels.

Success is measured in league placings in May. I aim to enjoy every last minute of the next six months:)

There ain't no medals handed out for topping the league in November, however nice it feels.

Success is measured in league placings in May. I aim to enjoy every last minute of the next six months:)

True but its much better to be where we are right now than playing catch up. Klopp may say he doesn't care who's top right now but we all know deep down he's happy enough leading the pack. And rightly so.

Not for me. Football isn't so binary.

I enjoyed our league campaign a few seasons ago just like I enjoyed the Europa league last season. I can enjoy football even when you dont win things and realise that they were good achievements, certainly nothing to be sneered at like you did.

Liverpool aren't the team they were back in the 70's/80's where we should be expecting league wins. We are on our way back under Klopp though but the era of teams dominating for years are probably over. Too much money and competition.

Not for me. Football isn't so binary.

I enjoyed our league campaign a few seasons ago just like I enjoyed the Europa league last season. I can enjoy football even when you dont win things and realise that they were good achievements, certainly nothing to be sneered at like you did.

Liverpool aren't the team they were back in the 70's/80's where we should be expecting league wins. We are on our way back under Klopp though but the era of teams dominating for years are probably over. Too much money and competition.

But you do seem to say it for others.

We won plenty and played some very good football under Evans, Houllier & Rafa that's not the 70's or the 80's. hell even Kenny won a cup and he was outdated with modern football.

We also spent more money than 95% of teams over the last 25 years so money is no excuse.

What we have now is a great manager and coach who knows how to win.

If Klopp gets us as close as Rodgers did to winning the league he'll be doing well. Don't think he will tbh

But you do seem to say it for others.

Say what for others?
    We won plenty and played some very good football under Evans, Houllier & Rafa that's not the 70's or the 80's. hell even Kenny won a cup and he was outdated with modern football.

Yes, but we weren't expected to win the league every season under those managers....my post stated "Liverpool aren't the team they were back in the 70's/80's where we should be expecting league wins". We did ok over the years but nowhere close to those decades.
    We also spent more money than 95% of teams over the last 25 years so money is no excuse.

Missing your point here, I never said we didn't spend money. Also spending money is no guarantee of success.
    What we have now is a great manager and coach who knows how to win.

Agreed.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    If Klopp gets us as close as Rodgers did to winning the league he'll be doing well. Don't think he will tbh

Did you not get the memo, close is not good enough, it's not worth talking about, he better win it or he's a spoofer.

• Advertisement

Did you not get the memo, close is not good enough, it's not worth talking about, he better win it or he's a spoofer.

2nd does get you no silverware tbf.

Would love for Klopp to be the one to get us the title. Still think we'll fall short.

Yes, but we weren't expected to win the league every season under those managers....my post stated "Liverpool aren't the team they were back in the 70's/80's where we should be expecting league wins". We did ok over the years but nowhere close to those decades.

Yes Evans, Houllier & Rafa were expected to win the league every year when they were managers and we were always competing for it with them as managers we may not have won it but we competed while winning other trophies.

Would love for Klopp to be the one to get us the title. Still think we'll fall short.

You did say he'd be doing well to go as close as Rodgers tbf.

Yes Evans, Houllier & Rafa were expected to win the league every year when they were managers and we were always competing for it with them as managers we may not have won it but we competed while winning other trophies.

Not like the 70's or 80's where not winning it was a failure. A challenge was expected alright.

None of them got as close as BR did though. Which is why its nothing to be sneered at like you did.

Anyway, we are going around in circles. If you cant enjoy cup runs or title challenges when we don't win then thats unfortunate for you being a Liverpool supporter I guess.

You did say he'd be doing well to go as close as Rodgers tbf.

I did.

Not sure I get your point

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Firmino and Coutinho getting a private jet back with Luiz and Fernandinho after the game on Tuesday night so should be back some time late on Wednesday hopefully. I still reckon (barring injury) that Firmino will definitely start anyhow especially since he probably won't have had many minutes while away. Coutinho will probably start on the bench I'd say, with either Wijnaldum or Sturridge coming in from the start. If Wijnaldum then I reckon Lallana plays more the Coutinho role from the start.

• Advertisement

If you cant enjoy cup runs or title challenges when we don't win then thats unfortunate for you being a Liverpool supporter I guess.

Again you seem to be speaking for others and how they feel!

Where did I ever say I didn't enjoy it?

I said he wasn't good enough to manage Liverpool.

Again you seem to be speaking for others and how they feel! Where did I ever say I didn't enjoy it?
    I said he wasn't good enough to manage Liverpool.

I'm only going off what you are posting. Doesn't sound like you enjoyed it. You were sneering at finishing second below. You didn't once say BR was not good enough to manage Liverpool in any of your posts to me either.

This to me suggests you weren't happy with that league campaign.

I replied with

You replied with the 2nd is nowhere stuff

If you did enjoy it fair enough...its not the impression I got.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

5starpool wrote: »
    Firmino and Coutinho getting a private jet back with Luiz and Fernandinho after the game on Tuesday night so should be back some time late on Wednesday hopefully. I still reckon (barring injury) that Firmino will definitely start anyhow especially since he probably won't have had many minutes while away. Coutinho will probably start on the bench I'd say, with either Wijnaldum or Sturridge coming in from the start. If Wijnaldum then I reckon Lallana plays more the Coutinho role from the start.

Simon Mignolet
    Lucas Leiva
    Nathaniel Clyne
    Joel Matip
    James Milner
    Adam Lallana
    Georginio Wijnaldum
    Jordan Henderson
    Daniel Sturridge
    Roberto Firmino
    Sadio Mané

We murdered Leicester with the above lineup.

I think we can manage with changes here and there.
    Danny's off the back of a goal for England at least, although I don't know what his all round performance was like.
    I think Origi would work well in that set up too.

I can't say I'd much like to see it be Wijnaldum come in for Coutinho, but seeing as it's probably going to be a tight game away to a tricky side there could be an argument made for it, with more aggression and control in midfield.
    I can't imagine a team as good as Southampton going into total bus-parking mode so hopefully we wouldn't need our full attacking complement to make a breakthrough.

Their defence isn't particularly good - only 2 fewer conceded than us and we don't even bother with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Gbear wrote: »
    Simon Mignolet
    Lucas Leiva
    Nathaniel Clyne
    Joel Matip
    James Milner
    Adam Lallana
    Georginio Wijnaldum
    Jordan Henderson
    Daniel Sturridge
    Roberto Firmino
    Sadio Mané

Danny's off the back of a goal for England at least, although I don't know what his all round performance was like.

I can't say I'd much like to see it be Wijnaldum come in for Coutinho, but seeing as it's probably going to be a tight game away to a tricky side there could be an argument made for it, with more aggression and control in midfield.
    I can't imagine a team as good as Southampton going into total bus-parking mode so hopefully we wouldn't need our full attacking complement to make a breakthrough.

Their defence isn't particularly good - only 2 fewer conceded than us and we don't even bother with it.

They kept 5 or 6 clean sheets on the bounce fairly recently.

I'm only going off what you are posting. Doesn't sound like you enjoyed it. You were sneering at finishing second below. You didn't once say BR was not good enough to manage Liverpool in any of your posts to me either.

I have said it from the day he got the job he wasn't good enough for Liverpool I didn't think I needed to say it on every post ;) I am quiet well know in the thread for it to be honest :P

My view on this subject along with a number of other posters who agreed with it seemed to lead to a number of posters rage quiting.

This to me suggests you weren't happy with that league campaign.

I loved the balls to the wall football we played that season everyone did even those who disliked the manager.

The balls to the wall football was simple as the manager was out of his depth and hadn't a clue what to do.

Look at Ranieri as an example of a manager who new what to do he played balls to the wall football until realized he was in with a chance of winning the league and then shut up shop and ground out 1 - 0 wins in the second half of the season.

If you did enjoy it fair enough...its not the impression I got.......

I did :D

• Advertisement

There are several ways we can win the game, but unfortunately we won't score 4+ every game (although 5 from 11 so far is pretty damn good). We are perfectly capable of beating them there even without Coutinho as Gbear says, but it could well be a very tough game.

As it goes on we'll more and more have to put up with teams trying to do nothing but stifle us and hit on the break or set pieces. I'm confident that on a lot of occasions we will have the answers for this, but we will hit setbacks and have days we cannot score or score enough to win or even draw. Hopefully not soon though. There are only a handful of games where we can go toe to toe with other teams trying to win games by attacking us, and I'm really looking forward to those games as we hopefully continue to improve and play more like Klopp wants us to more of the time.

Even if we tail off and don't actually come that close to winning the league this season, it is exciting times.

Gbear wrote: »
    Simon Mignolet
    Lucas Leiva
    Nathaniel Clyne
    Joel Matip
    James Milner
    Adam Lallana
    Georginio Wijnaldum
    Jordan Henderson
    Daniel Sturridge
    Roberto Firmino
    Sadio Mané

I saw it written somewhere that he didn't touch the ball for 23 minutes - which was then a goal.

We've won 3 lg games already with a 2-1 scoreline. I seem to remember us professionally closing the game out against Chelsea at the Bridge.

This talk of us having to win games by scoring 4 or 5 every week is a daft as the whole 'no plan b' fad a few months back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭mormank

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it may not be this season or next but I firmly believe that before Klopp leaves this club he will have won us at least one title.

We've won 3 lg games already with a 2-1 scoreline. I seem to remember us professionally closing the game out against Chelsea at the Bridge.

This talk of us having to win games by scoring 4 or 5 every week is a daft as the whole 'no plan b' fad a few months back.

That's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is that teams approach against us will change as the season goes on. We closed out a few games very well this season so far. I'm as much saying that people shouldn't start moaning if we do have a setback or two, but I know it will happen still if we do. Hopefully by the time we have a setback though we already have the league won with 6 games to go. Pretty likely scenario actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Poor Ragnar had an awful night...conceding 8 & an og to boot!

Yes, we did close out well against Chelsea. That was the exception though, WBA and Swansea were different stories, we coughed up a couple of sitters to Swansea in the last couple of minutes, WBA after being battered for 80 odd minutes had us on the ropes after they scored and we looked very shaky, so I wouldn't be saying we're experts at seeing out matches just yet, so best to get the 4 or 5 goals just to make sure imo, I still don't fully trust this side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

retalivity wrote: »
    Poor Ragnar had an awful night...conceding 8 & an og to boot!
    Very considerate of him to work the OGs out of his system while on international duty.

5starpool wrote: »
    That's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is that teams approach against us will change as the season goes on. We closed out a few games very well this season so far. I'm as much saying that people shouldn't start moaning if we do have a setback or two, but I know it will happen still if we do. Hopefully by the time we have a setback though we already have the league won with 6 games to go. Pretty likely scenario actually.

we defo will, as all teams do. we'll be fine though, just fine.

Look at Ranieri as an example of a manager who new what to do he played balls to the wall football until realized he was in with a chance of winning the league and then shut up shop and ground out 1 - 0 wins in the second half of the season.

I do hope klopp shows similar as the season goes on. A plan B, if you like.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement