Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

5starpool wrote: »
    Firmino and Coutinho getting a private jet back with Luiz and Fernandinho after the game on Tuesday night

Who would pay for that out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

8-10 wrote: »
    Who would pay for that out of interest?

Willian also ,3 clubs pay a fifth per player i guess ,120 k cost .

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

sword1 wrote: »
    Willian also ,3 clubs pay a fifth per player i guess ,120 k cost .

Yep, this. Shared between the clubs that have players on flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

retalivity wrote: »
    Poor Ragnar had an awful night...conceding 8 & an og to boot!

Deflected in the 2nd goal too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Yep, this. Shared between the clubs that have players on flight.

That's what I presumed. Probably a bit of a pain to organise for the people who actually do the work but makes sense to do it like that.

I wouldn't start either Brazilian this week. Bring in Sturridge and Wijnaldum and it's still a team that can win. Neither of them travelled far this break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That's what I presumed. Probably a bit of a pain to organise for the people who actually do the work but makes sense to do it like that.

I wouldn't start either Brazilian this week. Bring in Sturridge and Wijnaldum and it's still a team that can win. Neither of them travelled far this break

I don't get why players who travelled in private jets can't play a game on Saturday. Time difference is really the only issue but they should be able to adapt and be fine for Saturday.

Also, Wijnaldum played away in Luxembourg. So that's travel as well, albeit not so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Even with a private jet the best case scenario would be the Liverpool players arriving home at about midnight Wednesday.

Match finishes Tuesday 23.15 local time Lima, 2 hours to leave ground after media and possible doping protocol, 2 hours to get to and through airport and seated on plane. Take off 3.30am, 13 hour flight (+ 5 hour time difference) to London for Luiz dropoff so 9.30pm. Turnaround time and flight to Manchester or Liverpool say 90 minutes, then 60 minute drive = midnight.

And if it follows that timeline then realistically should be no problem playing on Saturday. Hell of a lot can go wrong within that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Even with a private jet the best case scenario would be the Liverpool players arriving home at about midnight Wednesday.

Match finishes Tuesday 23.15 local time Lima, 2 hours to leave ground after media and possible doping protocol, 2 hours to get to and through airport and seated on plane. Take off 3.30am, 13 hour flight (+ 5 hour time difference) to London for Luiz dropoff so 9.30pm. Turnaround time and flight to Manchester or Liverpool say 90 minutes, then 60 minute drive = midnight.

And if it follows that timeline then realistically should be no problem playing on Saturday. Hell of a lot can go wrong within that though.

I'm pretty sure cramp, lactic acid build up doesn't clear as easily at high altitudes although maybe I am subconciously making that up.

Firmino won't play many minutes I'd imagine. He has come on as a late sub the last couple of games, so unless he gets a half or more there shouldn't be much problem with him for the game I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

noodler wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure cramp, lactic acid build up doesn't clear as easily at high altitudes although maybe I am subconciously making that up.

The plane will be pressurised you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

Balls to that. It'd destroy my fantasy football team. Priorities man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I doubt the two lads will come back and say they wont play. If Fimino/Coutinho miss out it will probably be down to a sports scientist or medical doctor. People far more qualified and experienced to make the judgement than us lads who cant understand why players need extra time after travelling.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Long haul travel like that can be a m*therf*cker, besides the time spent mostly sitting, your lose a day, you don't sleep properly, land in a different time zone. It's especially tough in the direction they are travelling.

I see lots of reports of that Dahoud chap, is he any use? I've watched the obligatory youtube highlights, but anyone seen him with some consistency?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Long haul travel like that can be a m*therf*cker, besides the time spent mostly sitting, your lose a day, you don't sleep properly, land in a different time zone. It's especially tough in the direction they are travelling.

Private Jet

I'd say they'll have room for the odd stretch :pac:

I see lots of reports of that Dahoud chap, is he any use? I've watched the obligatory youtube highlights, but anyone seen him with some consistency?

I don't know a lot about him, but he has only started 4 league games for them this season, so while he may well be a great prospect it would suggest that he is not quite ready to be a consistent starter yet. By all means we probably won't get him in January, but it depends on his release clause. It is rumoured to only be €10m in the summer, so they might want to accept a higher fee for him in the January window rather than lose him for that. We are not the only interested party though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

My understanding was that he was not starting for them because he is refusing to sign a new deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,380 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I don't know a lot about him, but he has only started 4 league games for them this season, so while he may well be a great prospect it would suggest that he is not quite ready to be a consistent starter yet. By all means we probably won't get him in January, but it depends on his release clause. It is rumoured to only be €10m in the summer, so they might want to accept a higher fee for him in the January window rather than lose him for that. We are not the only interested party though.

He started most games for them last year didn't he?

I thought he wasn't playing as much this year because he's running his contract down?

Well if that is the logic why didn't they sell him then when offered 20m given that they weren't going to play him much or get offers in that league again given his contract situation? Also, if that is the case why bother playing him at all then? That reason doesn't add up for me anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,380 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Well if that is the logic why didn't they sell him then when offered 20m given that they weren't going to play him much or get offers in that league again given his contract situation? Also, if that is the case why bother playing him at all then? That reason doesn't add up for me anyhow.

They didn't want to sell him because they had just lost Xahka so letting Dahoud go looses you both your starting CM in the one window.

I suppose they hoped hed sign a new contract and then sell him next Summer for a bigger fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭mormank

emmetkenny wrote: »
    They didn't want to sell him because they had just lost Xahka so letting Dahoud go looses you both your starting CM in the one window.

I suppose they hoped hed sign a new contract and then sell him next Summer for a bigger fee.

But if you don't play him you still lose both your starting cm's from the previous season, you just don't get compensated appropriately. Big gamble to take on their part, one which I don't actually disagree with if the player is still gonna be able to play for you. Saido Berahino is another example of this, TP tried to be tough with him in the transfer market which at first appeared admirable but as it has turned out it has just been a disaster and he may as well have just sold him when his value was high.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

:eek:

OFFICIAL: Iago Aspas has been named LaLiga Player of the Month for October.

https://twitter.com/SquawkaNews/status/798122674081779712

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

:eek:

OFFICIAL: Iago Aspas has been named LaLiga Player of the Month for October.

https://twitter.com/SquawkaNews/status/798122674081779712

He was the right man in the wrong place.

People slagging him off as being something akin to a pub player showed themselves to be massively ignorant of Spanish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I always thought going with the time zones instead of against was Beter for jetlag.

Anyway John McClane has it covered for them. Makes fists with your toes

giphy.gif

Gbear wrote: »
    He was the right man in the wrong place.

People slagging him off as being something akin to a pub player showed themselves to be massively ignorant of Spanish football.

He was poor for us though unfortunately.

Happy enough for him, getting a Spain call up too.....when you look at what we paid for him it was low risk and didn't work out which is fair enough.

I wonder what he'd be like under Klopp

RoboKlopp wrote: »

I don't. Let sleeping dogs lie.

RoboKlopp wrote: »

He kind of reminds me of Ings, but better at corners obviously.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I always thought going with the time zones instead of against was Beter for jetlag.

Anyway John McClane has it covered for them. Makes fists with your toes

giphy.gif

Gaining time is always much easier than losing time.

Every time I fly home my brain is melted for 2 or 3 days, but flying back to LA I'm grand by the next day.

I think it relates to the time you would go to sleep in the country you're in, versus the time your body clock is used to...going to LA from Ireland, by 8pm it feels like you're up really late, so it's easy to get to sleep naturally for the whole night. But coming to ireland from further West, bedtime in your new location only feels like the afternoon, so come midnight you try to sleep, but since it feels like only 4pm, you just nap and wake up an hour later reenergized, and then you're awake half the night, before being shattered around 7am. Takes 2 or 3 days of just forcing yourself to get up early, zombiing around the place for the whole day and trying your best to sleep the night through - usually failing, and forcing yourself to get up in the morning on 3 or 4 hours sleep. Sleeping tablets help, though they still leave you feeling drowsy and stupid for half the day after you're up.

Pretty sure the above is an incomprehensible mess. In short, the Brazilian lads might be a bit flah'd for a few days after they get back.

I don't. Let sleeping dogs lie.

I don't wonder too often.

Probably for only 10 seconds before I wrote that post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looks like Gerrard will finally get a league title looks like he is going to join Celtic on a free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Barton has left Rangers - so no clash of the midfield titans :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Much as we might all laugh at Scottish football, it's a tough old league up there, Keane and Barton (for all the time he was there) struggled to adapt.

It's a bit like junior Gaelic Football!
    Aging, past it big time Charlies are feeding time up there.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

K-9 wrote: »
    Much as we might all laugh at Scottish football, it's a tough old league up there, Keane and Barton (for all the time he was there) struggled to adapt.

It's a bit like junior Gaelic Football!
    Aging, past it big time Charlies are feeding time up there.

Don't think Keane did, he was MOTM in a couple of Old Firm games. Injuries just caught up with him.

Barton, on the other hand, gave it the big 'un from day 1 and fell flat on his face. It was great!

Surprised there has been no mention in here of the rumour that Sturridge wants out in January. I think it is bull myself for January anyhow, but allegedly he wants out and Stoke and West Ham are 'on alert' for around £28m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Surprised there has been no mention in here of the rumour that Sturridge wants out in January. I think it is bull myself for January anyhow, but allegedly he wants out and Stoke and West Ham are 'on alert' for around £28m.

He wont leave in January, and certainly not to Stoke or West Ham.

Vicxas wrote: »
    He wont leave in January, and certainly not to Stoke or West Ham.

I doubt it either, just surprised it wasn't mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I think the Sturridge "story" is from the Daily Mirror, so it's very likely it's plain old BS.

I wouldn't be at all surprised he wants out.
    He likely won't start consistently under Klopp even when fit. From Sturridge's point of view he's 27 and after a couple of injury hit seasons. He would hope to be playing as much as possible over the coming seasons.

Perhaps with us presumably in European competition next season he might be happy to stay with us as he might/should get plenty of games than but it's looking very much like Klopp doesn't see him as being what he needs. Same applies to Origi really.

He won't be going to Stoke or West Ham though, a Champions League level club abroad I'd think would be more likely.

......... I'd personally like if he decided to stay at Anfield for years to come and put in decent 30/60 minute performances consistently and play a part in us winning plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Klopp doesn't want Sturridge he has played it right to to get the best price he can for him.

Get him fit keep him fit play him in cup games so he scores he scores in International games as well so midtable teams would be tempted to take a punt on him given his injury history.

I wouldn't be surprised if West Ham put in a huge bid for him they won't want to get caught up in a relegation fight with the new stadium etc

City, Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal won't bid for him I doubt Spurs would either if he doesn't work hard enough for Klopp I wouldn't see Pochettino wanting him either.

I doubt we would sell to them anyway.

Not many clubs left then for him to be to picky if he want's out maybe he would fancy going abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

If someone could quickly explain to me how selling Daniel Sturridge in January INCREASES Liverpool's likelihood of winning the league/top 4 finish etc. I'd be very interested in hearing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Wouldn't be surprised to see Sturridge open to a move to West Ham, to be honest. He strikes me as the type of fella who'd love London.

Milkers wrote: »
    If someone could quickly explain to me how selling Daniel Sturridge in January INCREASES Liverpool's likelihood of winning the league/top 4 finish etc. I'd be very interested in hearing it.

It doesn't of course.
    But if he's not getting gametime when fit he mightn't want to hang around.

It's all well and good Firmino, Coutinho, Mane, Lallana all scoring well so far (11 games iirc into the season) but I think it's fairly optimistic to expect all 4 of them to get over 13/15 PL goals this season.

There aren't too many top class strikers who will fit into Klopp's style that are attainable.

For all the credit he gets or getting Firmino, Coutinho, Mane, Lallana all scoring I think Klopp should be able to integrate Sturridge and Origi into his system too. Top of the table after 11 games is brilliant but the season is a 38 game season and I reckon much of our success so far is attributable to having no European football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

If he does go I think Klopp would make it that it has to be a team outside of the top 6 for him to remain in England. Otherwise it's abroad and I don't think Sturridge is cut out for being abroad.

No offence to the guy but what top team would need him? PSG maybe. Bayern, Juve, Real, Barcelona, Dortmund don't need him. I don't think either of the Milan teams would have the money to buy him and at this moment in time both teams are a definite step down.

If he wants to go to a West Ham or a Stoke for first team football good luck to the guy but he should look at the likes of Peter Crouch who has said he regrets leaving Liverpool for the very same reason.

Crouch would have been great for us on the bench and with Torres' injuries in 2010 would have got plenty of game time.

Sturridge's best option is to keep his head down and be part of the Klopp plan. It will be better for his career overall. Klopp has him fit again for the first time since 2014 and it's due to Klopp's game management of him that he is coming back to form.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    ................. Klopp has him fit again for the first time since 2014 and it's due to Klopp's game management of him that he is coming back to form.

I think there's more luck or absence of bad luck that he's not injured rather than any game management.

The club having other options that are performing better allows him to be left on the bench which is a huge contributor too, if you don't play you've less chance of being injured.

If Firmino, Coutinho and Mane were all struggling to score and we were on 12/13 points I don't think we'd be seeing too much of Sturridge sitting on the bench. He'd either be playing or be injured.

I do agree he's better off sticking it out at LFC, presuming Klopp wants to utilise him to some extent in the coming seasons.

Milkers wrote: »

If Klopp replaces him with another Fimino/Mané type player that can score goals........cant be too many out there but then again I'm not a scout.

He should not be sold in Jan. Doesn't benefit us at all with Mané also gone for a few weeks and Ings out for the season would leave us very short.

Long term, I wouldn't be surprised if Danny will leave but I'd be surprised if hes let go in January.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Augeo wrote: »
    It doesn't of course.
    But if he's not getting gametime when fit he mightn't want to hang around.

It's all well and good Firmino, Coutinho, Mane, Lallana all scoring well so far (11 games iirc into the season) but I think it's fairly optimistic to expect all 4 of them to get over 13/15 PL goals this season.

There aren't too many top class strikers who will fit into Klopp's style that are attainable.

For all the credit he gets or getting Firmino, Coutinho, Mane, Lallana all scoring I think Klopp should be able to integrate Sturridge and Origi into his system too. Top of the table after 11 games is brilliant but the season is a 38 game season and I reckon much of our success so far is attributable to having no European football.
    That's not the market we will be shopping in, though. Klopp (and FSG) will buy a cheaper, younger forward at 19-22yo and develop him to fit the style Klopp requires.

Or else pick up an out of contract striker that will fit the style, Matip style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Obviously if Sturridge were to agitate for a move to get more playing time theres nothing we could do about it. But us selling him away would not be a good decision right now IMO. It is easy to see him as disposable right now when Coutinho, Firminho, Mane and Lallana are all firing. But we have not yet seen injuries or losses in form and the inevitable will happen.
    No matter what his current problems Sturridge is still a world class player who has the ability to make a goal out of nothing. Think back to the goal he scored in the Europa Final. Thats exactly the type of goal you need when you are having one of those off days and things just arent happening but the team needs to grind out a dirty 1-0 to keep the pace with those teams around them. When things get pressurised at the tail end of the season someone like Sturridge could be a saviour.Not having him as an option would be a mistake. Thats why there is no way I would want to see him leave in January. Evaluate him in the summer, not now.

Augeo wrote: »
    For all the credit he gets or getting Firmino, Coutinho, Mane, Lallana all scoring I think Klopp should be able to integrate Sturridge and Origi into his system too.

Well, lets not pretend footballers are robots and do exactly as instructed. Sturridge has to be willing to adapt also.

As much as I think he's a lethal goalscorer, he doesn't do the job Firmino does for example, not effectively at least. Maybe he cant!

If he cant adapt effectively I dont see why Klopp should have to shoehorn him in. If goals dry up, that would be a different story though I suppose. I, for the record, kind of agree that he should get more minutes, but its just not an issue right now.

That's not the market we will be shopping in, though. Klopp (and FSG) will buy a cheaper, younger forward at 19-22yo and develop him to fit the style Klopp requires.

Or else pick up an out of contract striker that will fit the style, Matip style.

We spent £34m on Mane, I don't understand why folk repeatedly mention Klopp & FSG will go shopping for some unknown striker/AM for £3m from the German 16th division :pac:
    NukaCola wrote: »
    Well, lets not pretend footballers are robots and do exactly as instructed. Sturridge has to be willing to adapt also.

As much as I think he's a lethal goalscorer, he doesn't do the job Firmino does for example, not effectively at least. Maybe he cant!

Firmino used to be a defender years back. Sturridge is 100% striker, I've no doubt Sturridge can't do the job Firmino does :)

I'd safely say Firmino will never be described as a lethal goalscorer.

They aren't at all like for like as we all know.

I personally think a system that requires Sturridge or the likes of Origi to be "shoehorned" in is not overly robust longterm.
    NukaCola wrote: »
    ........ I, for the record, kind of agree that he should get more minutes, but its just not an issue right now.

At the moment, plenty ppg in the league, there's nothing broken, if he continues not to get minutes he'll be more likely to leave. If for example he does go and so too does Coutinho in the summer than unless greatness comes in we might well be in trouble.Keeping the squad happy is a part of management, tough gig but that's the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement