Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

God I miss the Euros.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I thought it was a bad sign when I read Sturridge's interview the last few days where he was basically saying that as a striker he should be essentially in the middle up front so that he can score goals. I'm summarising quite a bit, but I didn't the impressino that he as will ing to put in whatever work he needed to do to try and be part of Klopp's plans in future.

As pointed out elsewhere though, if he wants to leave soon enough his options are limited as we probably wouldn't sell to a team around the top oif the table (if they even wanted him). In 18 months maybe as he will only have a year left, but lots of things will happen before then. I think he'll leave next summer, but it could happen in January I guess if either party want it enough, pending us being able to sign someone more to Klopp's taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

8-10 wrote: »
    Who would pay for that out of interest?

£30,000 cost to LFC apparently.

5starpool wrote: »
    I thought it was a bad sign when I read Sturridge's interview the last few days where he was basically saying that as a striker he should be essentially in the middle up front so that he can score goals. I'm summarising quite a bit, but I didn't the impressino that he as will ing to put in whatever work he needed to do to try and be part of Klopp's plans in future.............

At the half time pundit chat in the England game they made the point he wasn't in the box enough.

He's far from a 6 yard merchant and he does like to wander, I don't think he's as bad a fit for Klopp as he's made out to be. I think he played in the Leicester game when Coutinho wasn't available and did more than fine.

So too in the 20 minutes for LFC recently not to mention the Spurs cup game.

If he wasn't working to Klopp's satisfaction in training he'd be getting no minutes ahead of Origi IMO so he's not doing too much wrong. From his point of view he mighn't be getting enough minutes relative to what he's putting in ........... that's part of football though.

Not having European football is helping us in the league without a doubt but it's not keeping the squad busy.

Fingers crossed we won't have the problem next year and if Sturridge leaves we'll adequately replace him.

He has shown some flexibility and a better work ethic, but I got from the interview that it isn't particularly what he likes doing. Not in a "he's lazy" way, but in the way that he thinks he is better in a different role, so doesn't enjoy it. He's done very well for us overall over the last nearly 4 years when fit, so it's a pity, but it would probably be best for both him and the team to move next summer if something suitable comes up.

I don't think his wages will be a problem these days anyhow as the likes of West Ham could afford to pay him over 100k per week, but whether he'll get the 150k he is reportedly on at Liverpool is a different matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I've no doubt that Sturridge will still be with us after January. The only way he'll leave is if he hands in a transfer request which players rarely do these days.

Danny Ings is injured, Mane is off to the African Nations.

We have a good run of games up to the Christmas period where he will be getting minutes and there's the league cup quarter final too.

Sturridge has featured in 10 out of the 14 games so far this season. He missed two through injury and two as an unused sub. He's started 5 of the 14 games and has accumulated about 34% of available minutes on the pitch.

He's featured in 8 of the 10 premier league games he's been available for.

When you look at how little Ings and Origi have played this season without complaining you wonder why these stories of Sturridge being unhappy are coming out.

dogbert27 wrote: »

When you look at how little Ings and Origi have played this season without complaining you wonder why these stories of Sturridge being unhappy are coming out.

Journalists asking leading questions :)
    It's clear on here many think Sturridge is ..... injury feigning.... lazy.... not committed etc etc. It makes "good" newspaper & click bait stuff too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

No way Sturridge is being sold in January with the club potentially in a title race or certainly in a race for top 4. And Mane off for the month of January. All it takes is one injury and he's back in the team playing regularly. Just not gonna happen.

If you google Daniel Sturridge agent you'll find the source of this story.

Last February: http://www.insidefutbol.com/2016/02/06/looks-like-daniel-sturridges-agent-planted-liverpool-exit-stories-says-reds-legend/268892/

Last August: http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/706165/Daniel-Sturridge-Liverpool-Arsenal-happy-birthday-transfer-news-gossip

Looks like an agent is getting itchy palms looking for one last big signing on fee with a 27 year old client.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Just looking at the videos from training - we have a LOT of good young keepers on the books...

Karius (23), first choice now.
    Kamil Grabara (17), Polish new arrival, trading U23 and U18 jerseys with...
    Caoimhin Kelleher (17), from Cork, arrived last year
    Shamal George (18), just back from injury I believe
    Andy Firth (20)

And Danny Ward (23) and Ryan Fulton (21) out on loan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Dickerty wrote: »
    Just looking at the videos from training - we have a LOT of good young keepers on the books...

Andy Firth (20)

Also plays as a striker :P

Dickerty wrote: »

Andy Firth (20)

I reckon Danny Ward is the best of them...... not sure is he very very good though.
    Surely the likes of Kamil Grabara, Caoimhin Kelleher, Shamal George & Andy Firth are at best hopeful to have a future with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Augeo wrote: »
    I reckon Danny Ward is the best of them...... not sure is he very very good though.
    Surely the likes of Kamil Grabara, Caoimhin Kelleher, Shamal George & Andy Firth are at best hopeful to have a future with us.

I don't think Firth or Fulton have much chance, and Ward will at BEST come back and replace Migs on the bench.

But the other 3 are all very impressive and training at Melwood a lot. George is a monster of a kid, I think he has potential to be a v good keeper...or striker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lol at Koeman, first he says Lukaku needs to leave to fulfill his potential and now says Liverpool win the league!

rob316 wrote: »
    Lol at Koeman, first he says Lukaku needs to leave to fulfill his potential and now says Liverpool win the league!

I guess he believes in the saying, when you speak the truth you'll never be wrong!!

Not a chance Sturridge will be gone in Jan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Hey just wanted to introduce myself only just got access to the forum, big Liverpool fan wanted to join mainly for this thread. I know it's a bit away but what business would ye like to see Klopp do in January? A realistic signing to improve the team. Up front is fine of course but we still need a good LB and i'm not sold on Lovren as a starting CB.

Hey just wanted to introduce myself only just got access to the forum, big Liverpool fan wanted to join mainly for this thread. I know it's a bit away but what business would ye like to see Klopp do in January? A realistic signing to improve the team. Up front is fine of course but we still need a good LB and i'm not sold on Lovren as a starting CB.

Hey, I think Lovren has improved a lot under Klopp and is forming a good partnership with Matip so I'd like to see how that develops this season. We have seasoned cover with Klavan and I think now that Gomez is back in full training he'll become fourth choice this season and if need be Lucas after that. I think Sahko's days are numbered and he'll either be sold or go on loan in January.

A LB is needed but I don't think we'll pick up what we're looking for in the January window.

Klopp has said himself that he'll be looking for a winger with Mane going to the African Nations but I wonder will he buy or look for a loan deal as when Mane returns within 5 weeks we'll then have an extra attacking player to accommodate and we are already having grumblings in the press of Sturridge being unhappy.

I think January will see more players going out then in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Thanks whoring with your first line :P You will fit in well :D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Thanks whoring with your first line :P You will fit in well :D:pac:
    Definitely another rarnes account:pac:

Clyne, Henderson, Lallana the players we don't want starting start for England and the player who needs game time is on the bench.

Fcuking Internationals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Clyne, Henderson, Lallana the players we don't want starting start for England and the player who needs game time is on the bench.

Fcuking Internationals
    Loads of time left for Sturridge to get injured again come on and score...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

FFS Clearly we're going to have to internet terrorise Garth Southgate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Klopp has said himself that he'll be looking for a winger with Mane going to the African Nations but I wonder will he buy or look for a loan deal as when Mane returns within 5 weeks we'll then have an extra attacking player to accommodate and we are already having grumblings in the press of Sturridge being unhappy.

I think January will see more players going out then in.

It wouldn't surprise me if Origi is given a run of games with Mane gone. He's not a like for like player obviously but he's more likely to put the sort of effort in that Klopp wants from his front players than Sturridge is.

I also think it's unrealistic to think we'd get a top quality RW in the January window and he'd just slot straight into the team for a run of 5 weeks.

If we did find one and he was that good how would we keep both him and Mane happy on Mane's return?

I'd be happy if I was disproved though.

• Advertisement

----Hendo--Can
    Lallana
    Wiji--Firmino--Coutinho

No idea why that couldn't work myself. or...

Can--Hendo
    Lallana
    -Origi--Firmino--Coutinho

No real need to buy at all but I'm not Klopp

FFS Clearly we're going to have to internet terrorise Garth Southgate.

But but he's just to nice for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Goal Lallana. Job done. Take him off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

mosstin wrote: »

****ing down getting treatment now.... Going off.... FFS.

mosstin wrote: »

That's your fault!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Looked like a precaution

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Nightmare our players always get injured playing for england.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

FFS. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Fcuking England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Clyne, lallana and Henderson on. Someone is bound to get karate kicked or exploded aren't they

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Southgate has now gone on my list of enemies, fcking hell.

It wouldn't surprise me if Origi is given a run of games with Mane gone. He's not a like for like player obviously but he's more likely to put the sort of effort in that Klopp wants from his front players than Sturridge is.

I also think it's unrealistic to think we'd get a top quality RW in the January window and he'd just slot straight into the team for a run of 5 weeks.

If we did find one and he was that good how would we keep both him and Mane happy on Mane's return?

I'd be happy if I was disproved though.

Yeah Origi looked great against Spurs in the league cup. Has the energy to take over from Mane.

I suppose Southgate could have rubbed salt in the wound by bringing on Sturridge!!

Hopefully he'll make a lot of changes and bring off Clyne and Henderson although he could be thinking that by winning the game he'll definitely get his contract so might not make too many changes if it stays 1-0.

Of all the England players to get injured Lallana is the one I wanted least.

Fúcking international football, especially friendlies can fúck right off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Was the injury bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Of all the England players to get injured Lallana is the one I wanted least.

Fúcking international football, especially friendlies can fúck right off.

Don't agree, Clyne is the only Englishman we can't afford to lose. As good as Lallana is, we have cover for him. We don't have any for Clyne (TAA isn't promising but not on his level at all), it'd probably mean Milner going to right back and Moreno coming into the team. No thanks.

If Lallana is out for a bit, I'd go with Hendo and Can in their usual roles and Gini into Adam's spot. It's an annoyance but not the end of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Lallana is in the best form of his career. Would be awful to lose him for an extended period now. Hopefully it's not too serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Only in and put the match on, did Reina not retire from internationals?

martyos121 wrote: »
    Don't agree, Clyne is the only Englishman we can't afford to lose. As good as Lallana is, we have cover for him. We don't have any for Clyne (TAA isn't promising but not on his level at all), it'd probably mean Milner going to right back and Moreno coming into the team. No thanks.

If Lallana is out for a bit, I'd go with Hendo and Can in their usual roles and Gini into Adam's spot. It's an annoyance but not the end of the world.

We can't defend anyhow, so we need Lallana and the lads to try and score as many as possible, or something like that anyhow. We are light at full back, but I'm not as averse to the setup you say above as you are. Hopefully it's only a precaution anyhow and he'll be fine, or at least not too serious. We can bring in either Sturridge like in the utd game or else Wijnaldum as you say, but Lallana would be a big miss against his old team.

Can is always there for cover at right back if needed he has done a good ob there for club and country if needed.

Lallana is key to the movement of this Liverpool team and would be a huge lose for any period of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Knex. wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Sturridge open to a move to West Ham, to be honest. He strikes me as the type of fella who'd love London.

Really? I'd see him as the other side moreso...he seems quite introverted. Very religious, and never ever has any stories of being out drinking or getting into any sort of trouble. Seems to really just focus on the things he's interested in...football, religeous, music, and to an extent fashion.

If he was interested in London I think it would be more for his access to music production than for the lifestyle elements.

Well he's from London isn't he, so I don't think there is an aversion to it anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Lallana didn't limp off so maybe a precaution.....hopefully....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

We can't defend anyhow, so we need Lallana and the lads to try and score as many as possible, or something like that anyhow. We are light at full back, but I'm not as averse to the setup you say above as you are. Hopefully it's only a precaution anyhow and he'll be fine, or at least not too serious. We can bring in either Sturridge like in the utd game or else Wijnaldum as you say, but Lallana would be a big miss against his old team.

Yeah I'm definitely not trying to downplay Lallana's importance, he's been wonderful this season and the hardest worker in the entire league (I'd be shocked if the stats didn't back that up). I think saying we can't defend is a bit wide of the mark though, our defence is mostly solid, there's no fundamental problems there (set pieces still need work but we aren't as bad as we used to be at defending them), it's just that our fullbacks being told to push up so much will inevitably lead to more dangerous counter attacks against us, and as we all know, those lead to goals.

Anyway, I hope Lallana's injury is nothing serious, but if he's going to miss games, I want to see a midfielder replace him. Don't mess with that front three, Sturridge's presence really slows it down, as talented as he is. He's a great option off the bench for us and I can't imagine e that role changing for him. To add to the earlier conversation about his future, he must be held onto in January, but he probably should be replaced in the summer if I'm being honest. There's better strikers for our system than him, and better systems for him than ours as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement