Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Highlights, MOTD highlights, extended highlights, or watching the match in its entirety. Its all here, folks

http://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/2016/08/14/arsenal-vs-liverpool-highlights-full-match-2/3/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Bold prediction

I expect the Utd v Pool games this season to be the best we have seen in a decade

Night Night chaps!

That match in Europe was pretty fun for me last year. Sleep,tight

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Bold prediction

I expect the Utd v Pool games this season to be the best we have seen in a decade

Night Night chaps!

I doubt it. Mourinho will keep it very tight at anfield. He will probably play long ball to not allow utd get pressed.

• OwaynOTT wrote: »
    That match in Europe was pretty fun for me last year. Sleep,tight

You just woke me up
    Sudden pain in my chest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

5starpool wrote: »
    He showed today that despite his inconsistencies and tending to drift in and out of the game, he still has to be accommodated regardless. I think himself and Mane will start the majority of games. Shape will dictate whether we can have Firmino and one of Sturridge/Origi or just one of the 3 of them. Great to have options though.

I'd prefer Coutinho benched and a real 9 instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I miss Anfield
    It seems like forever
    We've been apart too long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I doubt it. Mourinho will keep it very tight at anfield. He will probably play long ball to not allow utd get pressed.

Mourninho will do what he did with Chelsea and park busses. And it will more than likely work.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Some great play today but some very poor also. We won 3-4 in a game that our keeper saved a penalty. Not going to win much conceding 3 goals that easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

People talking about wanting Coutiniho on the bench...he's easily our best player. Surround him with quality players and watch him become more consistent.

You just woke me up
    Sudden pain in my chest

Just watch BvS extended crap and you'll soon be right.

• Advertisement

Some ****ing gorgeously serious goals today and th hurling wasn't half bad either and I caught a 1000 cp goldfish. All n all a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Some ****ing gorgeously serious goals today and th hurling wasn't half bad either and I caught a 1000 cp goldfish. All n all a good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's hard to articulate exactly what went on today.

Klopp's football vision seems quite unique, and is built almost entirely on there being no control of the game in the traditional sense.

He doesn't seem to believe in a designated DM if he can help it for one, and his 'control' of the game is utterly dependent on his team getting the better of the transitions. For that, the main thing you really need in your team is incredible fitness, as well as directness and pace when it counter attacks.

The first half displayed what happens when the team is being slightly out worked, and the direct passing is inaccurate. You get a team with little to fall back on. There's nobody to dictate. There's nobody to just hold the ball. It's just a question of keeping on harassing until you outwork the other team.

The second half...well 25 minutes or so of it...displayed what happens when you get on top of the opposition. It's relentless, and it's brilliant. In Mané, you've the perfect way to exploit an outworked defence. I thought he was awesome. And we just overran them.

I'm delighted with the win, but we're going to come across smarter teams than Arsenal. We need to find someone to dictate a game, we need to learn how to defend a fúcking ball into the box, and we need to get a new left back; preferably one that includes some common sense.

I still can't believe we have Klopp at the helm, but there's a couple of fundamental flaws that aren't addressed yet, and they don't seem close to being resolved either. I fear it will cost us.

Anyway, on today...

Mignolet - fine
    Clyne - disappointing
    Lovren - meh
    Klavan - see it, boot it, job done
    Moreno - shoot him
    Henderson - not a DM
    Wijnaldum - great when driving forward, but not a CM
    Lallana - weak
    Coutinho - generally muck, but a matchwinner
    Firmino - anonymous
    Mané - worth every penny

I hope for better against Burnley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Not sure how Coutinho was muck before the goal. Wasn't on the ball enough mostly down to our poor passing in midfield in the 1st half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

DenMan wrote: »
    Arsenal fan here guys! Well done on a very good win.

64433225.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

SlickRic wrote: »
    It's hard to exactly what went on today.

Klopp's football unique, built almost entirely in the traditional sense.

He doesn't designated DM can help it for one, and his 'control' dependent on his team getting transitions. For that, your team is incredible pace when it counter attacks.

The first half slightly out worked,passing is inaccurate. You get little to fall back on. There's nobody . There's nobody . It's just keeping on harassing until you outwork .

The second half...25 minutes ..displayed the opposition. It's relentless, . In Mané, you've the perfect defence. I thought he was overran .

I'm delighted with smarter teams than Arsenal. We need to find a fúcking ball into the box, and we need to get a new common sense.

I still can't believe we have Klopp fundamental flaw that I fear will cost us.

Anyway, on today...

Mignolet - fine
    Clyne - disappointing
    Lovren - meh
    Moreno - shoot him
    Henderson - not a DM
    Lallana - weak
    Firmino - anonymous
    Mané - worth every penny

Thought Firmino linked play well and contributed to the moves we made.
    He didn't score but retained it and worked so hard to link.

Augeo wrote: »
    To be fair to Moreno for the goal he was caught as he was in an attacking position. Unless he's told not to attack than that'll happen if we lose possession like we did.

He was very clumsy to give away the penalty but again was it a penalty strictly speaking, manies the day it wouldn't have been given.

It was a stonewall ****ing penalty! Totally ridiculous, trademark 'Moreno lunge-jump'.

tinpib wrote: »
    What about the forgotten man at left back?

Joe Gomez?

Yes. When is he back? He looked brilliant for like 6 games. All that time ago.

brevity wrote: »
    Rio comes across very well anytime I've seen him on TV.

I always thought him a sandwich short of a picnic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

MD1990 wrote: »
    Not sure how Coutinho was muck before the goal. Wasn't on the ball enough mostly down to our poor passing in midfield in the 1st half.

That's not true.

He lost it or made bad passes almost every time he got on it before the free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

DenMan wrote: »
    Arsenal fan here guys! Well done on a very good win.

Hope Arsenal get relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

On today's showing they'll finish fourth

from bottom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

New 400m champ and record holder a huge pool fan. Prepared for the final by watching the match. Well done Wayde!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Anyway, on today...

Mignolet - fine
    Clyne - disappointing
    Lovren - meh
    Moreno - shoot him
    Henderson - not a DM
    Lallana - weak
    Firmino - anonymous
    Mané - worth every penny

Were you watching a different game ??

Firmino was excellent as was coutinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    New 400m champ and record holder a huge pool fan. Prepared for the final by watching the match. Well done Wayde!!!

Looked like he was slowing down at the end but still had enough for the WR. Great achievement especially in the lane he was in.

Add him to the list of celebrity fans!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Were you watching a different game ??

Firmino was excellent as was coutinho

Coutinho was poor until he scored at the end of the first half and had a good second half. Muck he was not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Mignolet - fine
    Clyne - disappointing
    Lovren - meh
    Moreno - shoot him
    Henderson - not a DM
    Lallana - weak
    Firmino - anonymous
    Mané - worth every penny

SlickRic - possibly blind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Any injury update on Couts? Or was it just bad cramp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Firmino done ok, Coutinhos second half performance was excellent......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Are we going for Worst Fans In The World™ again?

I'm in.

• Advertisement

Coutinho's free kick was good enough to excuse the rest of his first half performance. Arsenal were dominating and Coutinho won't shine in that circumstance unless he comes up with great assists or goals.

I reckon Can won't be on the bench for too many more of our PL games so that should help too. Also firmino as lone striker is not seeing him or the AMs to best effect.

I think we need two of Ings, origi, firmino & Sturridge to start games rather than finish them.

..... I'd consider Mane, Lallana & Coutinho as must starts next game though. They all deserve to keep their place.

Would like to see Can start but might well see Henderson & Wig' get another opportunity together.

That leaves one attacking place left so to be fair it's looking like lone striker it is :) If it ain't broke ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Pyjamarama wrote: »

Can he play left back?

Turned off after Mana showed us what he can do. Was Moreno at fault for the goals?

Looking at that first goal again, there was so, so much wrong. Lovren, Klavan and Clyne were just as much all over the shop as Moreno.

When Moreno gave the ball to Coutinho, if he flicked it back his way as he ran on, instead of turning inside and playing it to Lallana it all would have been avoided. Lallana then had zero options, ahead of him, but committed possession suicide, considering the circumstances, and lost it way too easily.

Moreno didn't adjust his run at all after Coutinho played to inside, instead he put on an extra gear to bomb forward, even though there was no outlet for Lallana. Everything was all over the shop, really.

Moreno did relatively alright in the 2nd half, despite Henderson giving him some horrible passes. That first half was something I'll never forget, however, and not in a good way.

Edit: Snapshot before the goal

pSSGxmU.png

27 passes before the 3rd goal.

Video of the build up: https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4-mobile/1bll.mp4

And a cool graphic showing how it developed.

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/764899843181383681

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Kind of nice to take a peek over at the Arsenal thread and seeing them in meltdown just one game into the season.

The Burnley game is an absolute must win for us. no point going and beating Arsenal only to drop points in a game like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Strange match review from SlickRic though I know what he means about the apparent lack of control. I recall a Dortmund CL game (not sure who they were playing) it really looked like Klopp had said just go out and enjoy yourselves. There appeared to be little rhyme or reason to what was happening but every so often a mad mass dash towards one end would result in a goal. I did wonder if the bright yellow strip made things looks more frantic than was actually the case but in the end Dortmund just out ran, out passed and out shot their way to victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Buy a f*cking left back Jurgen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

He might be a useless defender, but Moreno has one hell of a leg tattoo:

331A0A8400000578-3536354-Alberto_Moreno_posted_this_picture_giant_monkey_tattoo_on_his_ri-a-19_1460480776872.jpg

What a nutter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Main thing is to win the game, which we did. To score 4 goals away to Arsenal, and of the calibre we saw yesterday, is a bonus.

But..... We've got to be better defensively. Moreno, you just knew before the game that he'd do something stupid as usual and you just hope and pray that he gets away with it.
    Well yesterday he did enough stupid things to potentially cost 3 goals nevermind one.

First off there was that bizarre header across his own goal before a rash/dangerous tackle to try to redeem the situation.
    Then there's the penalty. Stonewall peno, don't know what he was thinking.
    Then he goes AWOL for their 1st goal just 60 seconds after giving away a penalty. Lallana was awful for the goal too by the way.
    And there were of course other daft 'moronic Moreno' moments too but they're the general highlights for me.

He is nowhere even close to being good enough to be starting games regularly for a side looking to hit the top 4.
    He'll cost us too many goals.

Aside from that, disappointed with Clyne for their 2nd goal. But he was excellent overall. And ideally we would have closed out the game better from 4-1 up but screw it, a win is a win.

Our attacking play was unreal at times 2nd half. Just a joy to watch.
    Mane is so exciting every time he gets the ball, he's the sort of player that gets people up off their seats whenever he starts running at defenders. Arsenal really didm;t seem to know how to deal with him.
    Coutinho, Firminho, Lallana, Mane, Wijnaldum, Origi, Sturridge etc.... there's a serious amount of creativity in this side now.
    We'll score bundles of goals.

We just need to work on tightening up a bit defensively. And I know the first position/player I'd be starting with.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

martyos121 wrote: »
    He might be a useless defender, but Moreno has one hell of a leg tattoo:

331A0A8400000578-3536354-Alberto_Moreno_posted_this_picture_giant_monkey_tattoo_on_his_ri-a-19_1460480776872.jpg

What a nutter.

Self portrait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

After we scored the fourth I think ,we we passing the ball around like a training match,think then firminho hooked it behind two arsenal defenders into the path of mane with his heel.. the Gunners fans were disgusted we were playing with them at that.moment..

Would love a gif of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Some Sadio Mane stats from yesterday.

Sadio Mané at the Emirates: most tackles (6/6), most fouls won (6), joint-most ball recoveries (8)

https://twitter.com/Haugstad1006/status/764876657375244288

How did Coutinho get MOTM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Some more Mane stats.

Sadio Mane's game by numbers vs Arsenal: 93% pass accuracy 4 tackles won 4 take-ons 1 goal

https://twitter.com/Squawka/status/764870672342511616?lang=en-gb&lang=en-gb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

From "Opta Anfield" :

Klavan -

Successful tackles - 3/3
    Successful clearances - 8/8
    Headed clearances - 6/6
    Aerial Duals - 3/4

Solid.

Have been impressed with Ragnar of what I've seen of him so far. Thought Lovern was disappointing yesterday, especially for Ox's goal. Could we see a Klavan & Matip partnership forming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    From "Opta Anfield" :

Klavan -

Successful tackles - 3/3
    Successful clearances - 8/8
    Headed clearances - 6/6
    Aerial Duals - 3/4

Solid.

Have been impressed with Ragnar of what I've seen of him so far. Thought Lovern was disappointing yesterday, especially for Ox's goal. Could we see a Klavan & Matip partnership forming?

Could rotate between them and Sakho/Lovren.

Yea, happy with Klavan with the limited game time I seen him, not slow, solid no nonsense stuff, his aimless balls forward are a bit annoying but not overly concerning.....also looks calm in possession...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

How did Coutinho get MOTM?

Two goals and an assist , you will always get MOTM , regardless of reality of the situation.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    Moreno didn't adjust his run at all after Coutinho played to inside, instead he put on an extra gear to bomb forward, even though there was no outlet for Lallana. Everything was all over the shop, really.

If Moreno held a line with Clyne he would have got back in time......I'm not going to blame him solely for the goal as it was well worked from an Arsenal point of view. The attackers dragged our CBs to the right and Walcott had acres of space on the left, but was only successful because Moreno was too far out of position.

As you said he didn't adjust his run and switched off ball watching, he does this all the time, he has very little anticipation/game intelligence and as a Defender who likes to attack its not a good combination......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement