Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Strange match review from SlickRic though I know what he means about the apparent lack of control. I recall a Dortmund CL game (not sure who they were playing) it really looked like Klopp had said just go out and enjoy yourselves. There appeared to be little rhyme or reason to what was happening but every so often a mad mass dash towards one end would result in a goal. I did wonder if the bright yellow strip made things looks more frantic than was actually the case but in the end Dortmund just out ran, out passed and out shot their way to victory.
    The defence being a mess doesn't really concern me. It's much, much easier to train ordinary players to be defensively competent than it is to train ordinary player to score goals. The Coutinho, Firmino, Sane combination looks great at times yesterday, and it can click then we are more than half way there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Maybe I am being a negative Nelly , but I feel against a very poor Arsenal team we needed a worldly free kick from Coutinho and a fantastic individual goal from Mane to squeak past Arsenal.
    Team still looks unbalanced to me and the gaps we have in CM are bigger than last year having Sold Joe ,we still have that nutter at FB and still have Simon in goal . I am not sure how we have failed to really address any or our major problems from last year.

Giving the same inputs and I am expecting the same outputs , lots of great days like this when we thump 4 past Arsenal , but I fear lots of disappointing days when we throw away two goal leads and let in soft goals that cost us points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Maybe I am being a negative Nelly , but I feel against a very poor Arsenal team we needed a worldly free kick from Coutinho and a fantastic individual goal from Mane to squeak past Arsenal.
    Team still looks unbalanced to me and the gaps we have in CM are bigger than last year having Sold Joe ,we still have that nutter at FB and still have Simon in goal . I am not sure how we have failed to really address any or our major problems from last year.

Giving the same inputs and I am expecting the same outputs , lots of great days like this when we thump 4 past Arsenal , but I fear lots of disappointing days when we throw away two goal leads and let in soft goals that cost us points.

Can, Milner/Gomez and Karius ?
    I know not exactly Barcelona or RM level, but will do a job for us for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You may have spotted Karius is injured and Matip was on the bench. Agree about the left back obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

The defence being a mess doesn't really concern me. It's much, much easier to train ordinary players to be defensively competent than it is to train ordinary player to score goals. The Coutinho, Firmino, Sane combination looks great at times yesterday, and it can click then we are more than half way there.

Did we sign Sane aswell?????:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Mane was the MOTM yesterday clearly. Only one game & hopefully he improves consistency from last season. Remember seeing him at Southampton playing his best against the top teams in the league(destroyed Chelsea & Arsenal last season) & now he has better players around him too.

Moreno was poor in the 1st half & can make some very poor error's. But his pace & energy is top class. Played well 2nd half. We do need another LB to challenge him. Also Neville's commentary about Moreno was disgraceful. Barely a mention of Lallana losing the ball it was all Moreno's fault. But that is to be expected considering his bias to English players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I wonder will we see a return to 3 at the back with both Sakho and Matip to come into the squad?

3 staying back at attacks is surely better than our 2 full backs bombing forward and leaving 2 at the back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Maybe I am being a negative Nelly , but I feel against a very poor Arsenal team we needed a worldly free kick from Coutinho and a fantastic individual goal from Mane and a penalty save to squeak past Arsenal.

fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It was great to seane continually to turn and run at the Arsenal back line. It's some we've missed for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I would say Arsenal were lucky to be in such a tight game. We created allot more and better chances, their first goal was down to a mistake on our part, their second was deflected. Our goals were all genuine class. It would have been an injustice of Andy Dufrane proportions had they got a point.

A new lb or milner in there and I reckon we will be alot more solid.

Why the hell did we let Jon Flanagan off on loan?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Mr.H wrote: »
    I wonder will we see a return to 3 at the back with both Sakho and Matip to come into the squad?

3 staying back at attacks is surely better than our 2 full backs bombing forward and leaving 2 at the back

I would be shocked an horrified to see us go to a back 3 again, It just doesn't work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

If I hear people making any more excuses for Moreno I might explode. He's a massive massive liability. I don't care how fast he runs. He does not have a functioning brain in his head. End of story. It's not even how awfully he got caught out of position for Walcott's goal but people seem to have forgotten that a few minutes earlier he conceded a penalty by booting Walcott straight up in the air after completely misjudging a tackle. We just got lucky in that Mignolet saved the subsequent pen. It's no use playing well for 88 minutes if in the other 2 minutes you are going to do the type of headless stuff that Moreno consistently produces. Game after game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Mane was indeed the true MOTM in many ways but people questioning how Coutinho could have possibly gotten it is slightly bizarre when he scored two fantastic goals and also had an assist.

If I hear people making any more excuses for Moreno I might explode. He's a massive massive liability. I don't care how fast he runs. He does not have a functioning brain in his head. End of story. It's not even how awfully he got caught out of position for Walcott's goal but people seem to have forgotten that a few minutes earlier he conceded a penalty by booting Walcott straight up in the air after completely misjudging a tackle. We just got lucky in that Mignolet saved the subsequent pen. It's no use playing well for 88 minutes if in the other 2 minutes you are going to do the type of headless stuff that Moreno consistently produces. Game after game.

Spot on. People STILL making excuses for him three years later. He's been making the same mistakes since day one with us. Enough is enough. Dont know why Flanagan was sent on loan. Would have him in LB every day of the week ahead of Moreno. Go splash the Benteke cash (if/when we get it) on a solid, no frills, defensive minded left back. Come on Jurgen, get the finger out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

It was said in commentary yesterday that Milner would have started LB if he was fit. Klopp knows that Moreno is not the answer, as we all do.

It was said in commentary yesterday that Milner would have started LB if he was fit. Klopp knows that Moreno is not the answer, as we all do.

Milner isnt the answer either though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Milner isnt the answer either though.

25 million is the answer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Hector signed a new contract with Koln over the weekend, I wonder if that's just so the club get a bigger transfer fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Quite optimisitc over yesterdays performance. However, we need a strong midfielder with presence. As is said before, Henderson is fodder, his got to go. Obviously a Left back, that tackle for the penalty was beyond bad, i am not sure if i ever seen anything as bad in my life, that includes games in the Phoenix park ha. Dreadful.

We must buy a midfielder and left back asap or we will be relying on firepower to rectify defensive mistakes all season, which can be exciting but ultimately will lead to failure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Any chance Liverpool might go for Joe Hart?

He's a big step up from Mignolet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

He's kinda doing a Lovren on it. I swore off Lovren under Rodgers and wanted him sold. He just mad so many calamitous errors and bad calls of judgement. Still not 100% on him.

Moreno has tons of ability but is just, as has been said time and again, a bit brainless.

The only way we might be able to play to his strengths while covering for his weaknesses is for a LCM to be installed to watch his runs and cover a little better. Order him around even. I can't seeing that being Wijnaldum. Could be Hendo but should probably be Can.

No way, wouldnt want him anywhere near the team. Average goalkeeper.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

1. No
    2. Can we not give Karius a chance first? He should be back in 6 weeks.
    3. No

If we are paying £20m and £140k a week for someone, he'd need to be a lot better than Joe Hart, who really isn't that much better than Mignolet to justify that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

In GK we have a fantastic situation where Karius was put straight into the team and frightened the life out of Mignolet. With Karius injured for a short time, Mignolet will have to play really well to have to keep the jersey. So... Competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

If Joe Hart was free then maybe. His reputation would mean a big fee on top of high wages.

I'd rather see how good Karius is and have Mig as a backup before I'd invest heavily in a GK.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    In GK we have a fantastic situation where Karius was put straight into the team and frightened the life out of Mignolet. With Karius injured for a short time, Mignolet will have to play really well to have to keep the jersey. So... Competition.

Are you trying to say Brad Jones wasn't serious competition? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

MD1990 wrote: »

Moreno was poor in the 1st half & can make some very poor error's. But his pace & energy is top class. Played well 2nd half. We do need another LB to challenge him. Also Neville's commentary about Moreno was disgraceful. Barely a mention of Lallana losing the ball it was all Moreno's fault. But that is to be expected considering his bias to English players.

Can't understand why excuses are still being made for him to be hoenst.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

Liverpool beat Arsenal at the Emirates in a 4-3 thriller. First time winning there in 5 years. Off to a flying start to the season. Some brilliant individual goals and an amazing performance from our new star signing. Yet all people seem to want to discuss is how bad Moreno is? Yikes! I would hate to be that pessimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Sheeeeit wrote: »
    Liverpool beat Arsenal at the Emirates in a 4-3 thriller. First time winning there in 5 years. Off to a flying start to the season. Some brilliant individual goals and an amazing performance from our new star signing. Yet all people seem to want to discuss is how bad Moreno is? Yikes! I would hate to be that pessimistic.

I actually think replacing Moreno is quite important if the team is going to fulfill it's potential.

• Advertisement

I'd hate to be that optimistic that you think everything in the garden is rosy after yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

Klopp is our manager, I trust he knows what he's doing and will always be optimistic as long as he's in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

noodler wrote: »
    Can't understand why excuses are still being made for him to be hoenst.

Either can I. Defensively he is hopeless. Worse still is that he's not learning.

Just remember that, bar a injury, he would have lost his place to a right footed midfield player. That's never a good sign for a LB!

Milner isn't the answer but I'd start him LB 100 times out of 100 over Moreno.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'm surprised Henderson is getting criticized I thought he played well. Klopp has a way of playing that doesn't require a def mid or an Alonso type player in the middle. Its not a traditional way of setting up in midfield but the likes of Lucas and Allen don't really suit his model .Players like hendo milner and can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

J Mysterio wrote: »

I hope conceding 3 goals a game isn't in his plan to keep his spot.

Klopp is our manager, I trust he knows what he's doing and will always be optimistic as long as he's in charge.

He's human and makes mistakes. Those mistakes should be open to criticism. Optimism is fine but pointing out obvious mistakes doesn't automatically mean people are pessimistic.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Bacchus wrote:
    I hope conceding 3 goals a game isn't in his plan to keep his spot.

Ah now. Nothing he could do really about any of the 3.

First one Walcott was unchallenged and could just pick his spot.

Second one took a massive deflection.

Maybe the 3rd one but it was a great free kick.

I bet you Klopp didn't get home last night, put his feet up and think, "My God that was perfect, nothing to work on at all!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Maybe Pulis is not such a mug

Mignolet
    Matip-Lovren-Sakho-Klavan

Matip and Klavan both have experience as full backs, just play on the narrow side and go full on WBA!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ahh crap the derby game could be harder this year but Palace could be easier with Bolasie signing for Everton and usually has his 2 best games V Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

DDC1990 wrote: »

I mostly jest and he made a solid save for the peno.

However, he could have done better for the 3rd goal and the deflection wasn't that big for the 2nd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Bacchus wrote: »
    I mostly jest and he made a solid save for the peno.

However, he could have done better for the 3rd goal and the deflection wasn't that big for the 2nd.

Any deflection makes the save far more unlikely,if lovren kept his eyes on the ball instead of turning away he could have made full contact with it,it went over his toes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

DDC1990 wrote: »

I don't blame him for the third. It's impossible for him to do anything about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Moreno could do a Lovern yet
    I hope he does
    Lovern was once regarded as one of the worst that has ever played for us
    Everyone hated the guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

niallo27 wrote: »
    I don't blame him for the third. It's impossible for him to do anything about it.

That was a fantastic ball in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Jonathan Wilson, bit of a tactics guy, is now writing for the anfield index. He has a breakdown of yesterday's game that would make Kate Cohen proud.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/08/transitions-pressing-balance-jurgen-klopp-knows-liverpool-can-improve-despite-arsenal-victory/

(its actually just grand, but might be interesting to some nonetheless)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Watched the game from my hotel room in LAs Vegas yesterday morning, what a game, very poor first half but we tore them to shreds for 20 minutes in the 2nd half. What a goal it was from Mane!

3 points against a rival at the end of the table we want to be away from home is a great start, I wont start dissecting the good and bad this early.

For the love of god though please replace Moreno though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

rob316 wrote: »
    Watched the game from my hotel room in LAs Vegas yesterday morning, what a game, very poor first half but we tore them to shreds for 20 minutes in the 2nd half. What a goal it was from Mane!

3 points against a rival at the end of the table we want to be away from home is a great start, I wont start dissecting the good and bad this early.

For the love of god though please replace Moreno though

Should have gone to a hotel sports room to watch the game always a good few people there watching drinking beer for breakfast

Moreno could do a Lovern yet
    I hope he does
    Lovern was once regarded as one of the worst that has ever played for us
    Everyone hated the guy

I would genuinely love it. I really like a full back thats fast and likes to get forward but I dont hold out much hope if I'm honest. The problem with Lovren was probably tactics mainly.

Klopp has got some excellent performances out of players over the past few months with plenty getting better under his management. Moreno hasn't IMO.

Knex. wrote: »
    Jonathan Wilson, bit of a tactics guy, is now writing for the anfield index. He has a breakdown of yesterday's game that would make Kate Cohen proud.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/08/transitions-pressing-balance-jurgen-klopp-knows-liverpool-can-improve-despite-arsenal-victory/

(its actually just grand, but might be interesting to some nonetheless)

Really expected the Kate link......

Decent write up, worth a read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Yesterday was the ideal result. We learned where the mistakes are being made against a top team while still coming away with three points. If we address the shortcomings that saw us ship 3 goals away from home to a team like Arsenal, we'll be in superb shape. To my mind that means making sure games aren't passing Wijnaldum by in midfield when away from home, getting Moreno some help if he's going to bomb forward, and making sure we're not reliant on Emre Can and Kevin Stewart coming on to shore things up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement