Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Moreno isn't even decent in attack being honest.....

All I can think is Klopp cant find a player he wants and wont buy for the sake of it. Huge mistake IMO, he will break our hearts this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think front 3 are interchangeable that Sadio will find himself in striker position during games. He's comfortable in front of goal. He can play as striker easily if needed.

Heavyweight boxing final on now if anyone is interested .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Does Randall have any chance of staking a claim for one of the FB positions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

D. Ward Goalkeeper Huddersfield
    Played full game in 2-1 home win, including saving a peno (though rebound went in)

it was actually an away win, was it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

To distract attention from this news - does anyone else think that Sadio Mane could be turned into a centre forward over this season and if successful Klopp sell Sturridge next summer and base his striker attack around Mane and Origi?
    No. He'd be lost as an out and out centre forward. He's best as an attacking midfielder. Sturridge position has nothing to do with it. Also don't think he's pushed about Ings whether he's right or wrong I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Ben Gadot wrote: »

I wouldn't rate him at all. Shocked flanaghan Went out before him

Ben Gadot wrote: »

Hope not....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Moreno was looking to attack when we lost ball and put ourselves under pressure. Moreno a little unlucky that it was his space that Arsenal exploited . Other than that he had a decent game. Hopefully he's learning, he's a project for Klopp and his staff. Hope he gets there soon.

'other than that he had a decent game '.... He gave away a ridiculous penalty. Had a crazy header across goal. Made another lunging tackle.... But ya bar that he was average. How many assists does he have? And I mean for us... Not the opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I was going to say that Moreno is only a young lad, but I checked there and he's 24. 24 is still young but you have to demand more than what he gives at this stage in his career.

It's clear enough what Moreno's problem is in that he obviously loses his head after one mistake. He has talent but at 24 it really means nothing when you haven't got a head on your shoulders. Gomez from the little we've seen of him seems to have a brain which instantly makes him more useful than Moreno when he returns. I believe he was playing LB previously for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The aimless headers, rash emotional decisions, ball watching, switching off, bombing forward every time we win possession unconditionally and not being aware of the space he leaves behind, lunging at a ball going away from goal, giving away a clear penalty, unpredictable behaviour...........and that was just the first half of Moreno's first game of the season, a highlight reel of the rubbish he's been putting in for the last year.....its amateur stuff.....

The thought of watching him game after game makes me worry.

Not sure why Klopp rates him but not having, at the very least, competent cover for Moreno seems like a really bad idea to me. Using Clyne/Milner as LB also seems like an awful idea.

I dont like to hammer the guy but his good qualities don't make up for the fact that you just cant rely on him. Too unpredictable.

Welcome to last week

Cool a time travelling thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Cool a time travelling thread.

We are all technological savvy here have you not heard. Though if it was last week we could warn kloop of the first goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Sorry, Moreno is a massive no, and having a discussion about this is an exercise in absolute futility, would you stop. We've had worse players but few who are as brainless as him.

When he plays it's in detriment to us winning. It's not like having one less man, it's like that AND the opposition having one more.

Seriously. The Europe final. Moreno.

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Klopp wants a new LB, simple as. Our pursuit of Chilwell proves that. Still wouldn't rule out signing one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

mosstin wrote: »
    Klopp wants a new LB, simple as. Our pursuit of Chilwell proves that. Still wouldn't rule out signing one.

This is the problem, i'm seeing conflicting reports everywhere.

Some papers are running with that we're giving Moreno another chance, others are saying that we're in for Fabio Coentrao on loan.

If we persist with Moreno i'm assuming that A: Gomez will be back soon and provide competition or B: Milner will deputize there until we can find a suitable replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

We will get a new LB by the end of the window I'm sure

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Gomez is surely months away from being anything like match fit after a year out nearly, and not even back in proper training.

To distract attention from this news - does anyone else think that Sadio Mane could be turned into a centre forward over this season and if successful Klopp sell Sturridge next summer and base his striker attack around Mane and Origi?

We'll hopefully be in Europe next season, plenty of games to require Mane, Origi, Ings, Sturridge & Firmino.

Sturridge cost us a relatively tiny transfer fee, his wages are big but not extreme, we should only sell him if we are bringing in an upgrade.

Mane is seriously potent in front of goal for an AM, he might well be a bit of a Thierry Henry, as with most LFC fans I'm thinking/hoping he's going to be absolutely brilliant for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I think this time next year origi will have a 15 goal season behind him. Mane can certainly play up top with maybe hoping to see something from ojo to start playing him right wing to free name up to go up top. To answer your question I think klopp would have no problem letting sturridge go but I still think it would be madness to for at least two years. I think maybe the master play would be get champions league,sell sturridge and buy that Dortmund striker for crazy money. The main thing this window is to get bentekevand ballotelli out of the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

mosstin wrote: »

Our pursuit of Chilwell is not evidence that we're trying to sign a replacement or even a backup for Moreno. He's a 19yo with 0 premier league appearances. Since Chilwell signed a new deal at Leicester we've gone out and signed a different young LB in Juanma, who's also not going to be giving Moreno food for thought.

It's clear that Klopp believes he can coach the mistakes out of Moreno and that Gomez and Milner are adequate backups. At the right price I'm sure he'd consider another, but we're talking about a manager whose principles won't allow him to pay over the odds for players generally. He's certainly not going to break the bank for a backup full-back when Moreno has the raw materials to do exactly what he wants.

Either Klopp thinks he can improve Moreno, or else he is thinking 'fúck it, we'll just outscore the cúnts'.

More evidence for the latter than the former.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

5starpool wrote: »
    Either Klopp thinks he can improve Moreno, or else he is thinking 'fúck it, we'll just outscore the cúnts'.

That would be a worry as we haven't been the kind of team to break down a deep defence in years and more likely to let the odd goal through our leaky defence, especially for a corner. A fit Mane looks like a direct player to break a defence but we cannot rely on one player again for a whole season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Cant depend on either of those, we need a solid defense to build on, what was Klopps defensive record like at Dortmund? Is he capable of creating one or do we need a defensive coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Steven Defour signs for Burnley from Anderlecht.

Somewhere, Kess just shed a tear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Grayditch wrote: »
    Seriously. The Europe final. Moreno.

This.

It was bad enough that Moreno was at fault for that goal 40 seconds into the second half but when I learnt later that he was having a laugh with his former Seville team mates just before the second half kicked off I was raging. We knew Seville would throw the kitchen sink at us in the second half and theres our left back having a joke with the Seville players. Less than a minute later the game gets turned on its head in a moment of madness that proved to be the beginning of our downfall in that final.

He simply must be replaced before the window closes as he has been sussed out now and teams will deliberately target his flank. He is our weakest link bar none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

On Moreno, Paul Joyce was saying on twitter last night that Klopp was unwilling to pay £20m for Jonas Hector so he's sticking with Moreno and will move Clyne across as needed.

Which brings up the problem of only Randall (poor, tbh) and Juanma (inexperienced) as the two fit replacements for both positions, assuming Klavan has LCB nailed down for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

On Moreno, Paul Joyce was saying on twitter last night that Klopp was unwilling to pay £20m for Jonas Hector so he's sticking with Moreno and will move Clyne across as needed.

Which brings up the problem of only Randall (poor, tbh) and Juanma (inexperienced) as the two fit replacements for both positions, assuming Klavan has LCB nailed down for a while.

Gomez and Milner.

Of course the issue with Moreno for most isn't backup, it's replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

On one hand i like that we're holding firm.

On the other hand i hope we don't get lumped with another case like Ballotelli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Gomez and Milner.

Of course the issue with Moreno for most isn't backup, it's replacement.
    Gomez will be out a good while yet until he gets up to Klopp-speed and Milner is injured but haven't heard how long he will be out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Vicxas wrote: »

The only difference being Benteke can and probably would score important goals for us if he's on the pitch, regardless of him not being suited to Klopps preferred systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Vicxas wrote: »

Looks like the price is going down, not up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

punk_one82 wrote: »
    The only difference being Benteke can and probably would score important goals for us if he's on the pitch, regardless of him not being suited to Klopps preferred systems.

He'll be an expensive cup player if he's still in the squad come Sept 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

The first person that makes a "I always liked him" joke when/if Moreno scores is getting put on ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I'd rather see him sold of course, but when you're a goal down late in the match and sending long balls into the box, is there a better sub in the entire league than Benteke? I recall him scoring some important goals for us and a few of them were in the closing minutes too.

Balotelli is the one who needs to be sold ASAP, he offers absolutely nothing and having him around would only be detrimental to the squad.

When you see the way players like Henderson, Lallana, Coutinho, Lovren and Allen all improved massively at one time or another, there's hope for Benteke yet if he wants to stay and fight for his place.

No hope for Balotelli though, he should just go far away and let us all forget about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

lol :pac:

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/765489333554049024
    Benteke would have had to win Wimbledon, the British Grand Prix and MasterChef for the £7million worth of add-ons to be triggered. #LFC

He'll be an expensive cup player if he's still in the squad come Sept 1st.

He won't even be that I'd say. Ings/Origi/Sturridge/Firmino all ahead of him, and not all of them (esp Ings) will get enough game time to keep them happy, so Benteke will get none I'd say unless we are injury stricken (yes, I know, Sturridge, injury, etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

The market for Benteke is a buyer's one, he is not going to sell for the money LFC say they're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

So Palace have come back for Benteke £23m plus £7m in addons.
    Liverpool refused as the don't see Benteke reaching double figures during his time at Palace

I wonder when they will consider whether to proceed with the Anfield Road redevelopment? It'd be nice to get that done as well in the next couple of years to bring capacity up to 59k or so.

Lee Mason the ref for Saturday. He usually makes a balls of things when we are playing as he isn't very good really. I bet one team or another will feel aggrieved at 4.55 on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Lee Mason the ref for Saturday. He usually makes a balls of things when we are playing as he isn't very good really. I bet one team or another will feel aggrieved at 4.55 on Saturday.

Worst ref in the league hand's down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I still haven't forgotten him for the Fulham game a few years ago where we lost 3-1. One of the worst refereeing performances I've ever seen, nearly was bad as the football we played that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Lee Mason the ref for Saturday.

Absolutely awful ref.

Burnley guaranteed a peno now. A Mason/Moreno combination doesn't bode well at all. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

martyos121 wrote: »
    Balotelli is the one who needs to be sold ASAP, he offers absolutely nothing and having him around would only be detrimental to the squad.

When you see the way players like Henderson, Lallana, Coutinho, Lovren and Allen all improved massively at one time or another, there's hope for Benteke yet if he wants to stay and fight for his place.

No hope for Balotelli though, he should just go far away and let us all forget about him.

The club aren't in a very strong position ref Balotelli. He clearly doesn't give a flying fcuk about his career so is happy picking up his wages and either sitting in the reserves or being loaned out but only if the club he's being loaned to is an interesting destination where he can indulge his lifestyle.

Not many clubs showing any interest in him. He could be a hail mary type signing for a club in Italy, Greece or Turkey late in the window who promised big signings but have failed to capture anyone, a bit like he was for us. He's entering the last year of his contract so if anyone comes along we really have to take whatever deal they are offering (which may be €0 but we'll take him off your hands) otherwise we could end up paying his last years wages and get €0 for him next summer anyway but even then it's likely his agent will demand that unless we pay up his contract he won't agree to go to whatever club it is that's showing interest.

If we can get away with paying half his remaining wages i.e. a "transfer fee" of minus £2m or whatever it may be the best deal we can do.

Unmitigated disaster of a transfer and the real shame is that with the right attitude the guy could be unplayable in the right team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Was Sahko in the matchday squad on Sunday? Or is he still in limbo with Klopp? Will he be considered for Burnley?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement