Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

And if you think Melissa is bad try listening to that Nina nightmare on Anfield Index. Christ almighty.

The Under Pressure podcast is back and is excellent, the rest is crap tbh. The guys rewatch the match picking out the pressing stats for each player and it reveals a lot of stuff, often confirming what you see during the match but often revealing stuff we don't pick up.

You'd know why Klopp loved Lallana and Firmino from early on and why Ibe was so quick out the door. They identified that one very quick from watching Ibe's first few matches under Klopp.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

mosstin wrote: »
    Sounds a bit like Off the Ball to me then. Which I absolutely hate.

Second Captains is even worse for it for me, they really, really love the sounds of their own voices when at their worst. Kilbane on OtB will be a big improvement.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

K-9 wrote: »
    The Under Pressure podcast is back and is excellent, the rest is crap tbh. The guys rewatch the match picking out the pressing stats for each player and it reveals a lot of stuff, often confirming what you see during the match but often revealing stuff we don't pick up.

You'd know why Klopp loved Lallana and Firmino from early on and why Ibe was so quick out the door. They identified that one very quick from watching Ibe's first few matches under Klopp.

Cheers. I'll try the Under Pressure one. Haven't listened to that one before. Listened to a few different ones and find them all annoying. Is that Dave Hendrick eejit still involved with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The one and only time I've been genuinely devastated a player left Liverpool.

F*ckin' loved El Nino.

You must have been too young when Fowler left......or Aldo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

kfallon wrote: »

I was in Canada when Fowler left and did not believe it when i heard it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

Oh dear. I was devastated when Rush left. Showing my age.

Damien360 wrote: »

Me too but I think the fact Aldo was Irish meant it was harder for me to take, I loved him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just looking through todays training pix everyone who was marginal for this weekend is there except Sturridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Just looking through todays training pix everyone who was marginal for this weekend is there except Sturridge

I thought he was there. http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/700738/Liverpool-Pictures-Sturridge-Milner-train-Arsenal-win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I cried when Keegan left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I cried when Keegan left

You win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

He was in church thanking God for finding him a job where he gets paid loads for just being injured all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Pressing & fitness is critical under Klopp.

- Ibe is gone as said above who's work rate is poor & why Markovic who lacks aggression has no future. Benteke also another clear example.
    - Moreno is being persevered with because he has the pace & energy suited to this style of play.
    - Lallana will start plenty of games considering Klopp has said he is crucial to the press.
    - Sturridge has been used sparingly & is not a guaranteed starter unlike he was under Rodgers.
    - New fitness coach brought in to implement the fitness needed.
    - Mane & Wijnaldum both have very impressive fitness levels. Also missed targets in Dahoud & Zielinski both are known for covering big distances too.
    - It's why I believe Henderson does have a future though maybe as a squad player

Cheers. I'll try the Under Pressure one. Haven't listened to that one before. Listened to a few different ones and find them all annoying. Is that Dave Hendrick eejit still involved with it?

Gags presents it and is less annoying than usual because he is focusing on the stats and analysis. Think I've only listened to Dave twice but I think he's still about.

Moreno presses a lot but it's often in the wrong place. I've given up trying to work that one out but it must be the reason he's sticking by him, sure what else is there!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I cried when Keegan left
    You win

Harry was disconsolate when Billy Liddell retired.

K-9 wrote: »
    Gags presents it and is less annoying than usual because he is focusing on the stats and analysis. Think I've only listened to Dave twice but I think he's still about.

Is the podcast called 'under pressure' because when I search for that on iTunes I'm just getting one on deep sea diving.

Just two things from reading through -

Firmino is an excellent finisher. I didn't realise how good he was until I recently watched his goals from last season. There are not many better than Sturridge in fairness but Firmino is not far off him.

Also Lovern - he is awful. I've no idea why he is getting a reprieve from the fans. I think one or two people have written that he was better towards the end of the season and everybody seems to be believing it. If Moreno does lose his place then Lovern will be under huge pressure as our weakest link. The guy is no better than Skrtel. In fact Skrtel was a better option defensively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

J Mysterio wrote: »
    That Anfield Wrap stuff is nonsense. Torres buggered off to Chelsea to 'win trophies' and thats it. If that 'interview' is anything it is just Torres trying to recoup a little love.

He left for Chelsea of his own accord and proceeded to implode. Never the same player after he left Liverpool.

I just about forgave him when he resigned for Athletico but, to be honest, I dont give a shìte what he has to say now.

Yeah, like, at the end of the day he submitted a written, official transfer request.

Sure, maybe the club started to push him out towards that move, but he still did it. He didn't have to. We could have accepted a bid without it. If what he says was the case he could have said "ill go, fine, but on my terms. you accept the deal, ill talk to chelsea, but I'm not requesting a transfer".

The truth, as usual, is probably somewhere in the middle. He wanted to go, the club were ready to sell.

Is the podcast called 'under pressure' because when I search for that on iTunes I'm just getting one on deep sea diving.

It's Anfield Index, they've loads per week but under pressure is the one I'm on about. Comes out a day or 2 after every PL game.

Knex. wrote: »
    Unfortunately not. Created the gif for the craic.

The faces in the crowd get better every time. The lad in the blue jumper is fit to go full stabby stabby.

It's not surprising no one else got there first in creating that one :p
    Nothing to see here comes to mind.

Firmino is an excellent finisher. I didn't realise how good he was until I recently watched his goals from last season. There are not many better than Sturridge in fairness but Firmino is not far off him. ..............

It might seem strange to some (I'm mindful of my audience) but looking at goals scored isn't a great way judging how good a finisher someone is. It's not a bad way admittedly but only the good is being looked at.

One would need to have a peak at the ones that didn't go in to have a rounded view.

Your own statement does clarify this, you only realised how good a finisher he was when you looked at his goals from last season :)
    Last season you took little notice of how great a finisher he was ......... that's telling enough. A decent striker he is but by no means up there with the best of them finishing wise. Depends what you mean by not far off.

I'm not one to focus on the misplaced passes etc as Firmino does more than enough to justify his place over a season and his goals, assists and general play over last season were great full stop, not to mind for a debut PL season. He will no doubt improve too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah, like, at the end of the day he submitted a written, official transfer request.

Sure, maybe the club started to push him out towards that move, but he still did it. He didn't have to. We could have accepted a bid without it. If what he says was the case he could have said "ill go, fine, but on my terms. you accept the deal, ill talk to chelsea, but I'm not requesting a transfer".

The truth, as usual, is probably somewhere in the middle. He wanted to go, the club were ready to sell.

They broke his spirit. You could see it at the time. When he came here he clearly loved the club, loved how the fans took to him cause we really did embrace him. The ownership broke him mentally and we broke him physically by rushing him back time and time again because we didn't sign realistic replacements for him that the manager wanted.

I don't blame him one bit for handing in the request. If you've ever worked in a job where you've become completely disillusioned (tbh he looked like he was genuinely depressed at the time he was leaving) then you'll know that if the chance to move comes up you have to take it for your own sanity.

Augeo wrote: »
    It might seem strange to some (I'm mindful of my audience) but looking at goals scored isn't a great way judging how good a finisher someone is. It's not a bad way admittedly but only the good is being looked at.

One would need to have a peak at the ones that didn't go in to have a rounded view.

Your own statement does clarify this, you only realised how good a finisher he was when you looked at his goals from last season :)
    Last season you took little notice of how great a finisher he was ......... that's telling enough. A decent striker he is but by no means up there with the best of them finishing wise. Depends what you mean by not far off.

I'm not one to focus on the misplaced passes etc as Firmino does more than enough to justify his place over a season and his goals, assists and general play over last season were great full stop, not to mind for a debut PL season. He will no doubt improve too.

I agree with what you say and I was thinking that as I was writing.

However I don't think he was guilty of missing lots of chances last year but from looking at his goals I was more taken with his finishing ability. It was not something I had really noticed before. Lots of different finishes and different opportunities that he took. Time to decide, no time, tight angles, one on ones, headers, dinks and so on. It seemed to be quite natural to him. Instinctive.

But I do agree that it would make sense to watch a roll of his misses before stating he's an excellent finisher.

• Advertisement

Sheyi Ojo out for a month, which is actually a good thing as it may stop him getting loaned! :p

........ I was more taken with his finishing ability. It was not something I had really noticed before. Lots of different finishes and different opportunities that he took. Time to decide, no time, tight angles, one on ones, headers, dinks and so on. It seemed to be quite natural to him. Instinctive. ..........

He's certainly the real deal :)

I'd love to see us play a 4,2,1,3 formation with Firmino, Mane and 1 of Ings, Origi or Sturridge with Coutinho behind them.

I'd happily see Lallana on the bench (and I'm a huge Lallana fan) to see how good Firmino could be with Mane's pace and an out and out striker on the pitch too coupled with an in form Coutinho supplying them.

Dunno if Henderson in CM would work with that formation though, might need Matip/Wij' & Can as the CM two.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Firmino is an excellent finisher. I didn't realise how good he was until I recently watched his goals from last season. There are not many better than Sturridge in fairness but Firmino is not far off him.

Also Lovern - he is awful. I've no idea why he is getting a reprieve from the fans. I think one or two people have written that he was better towards the end of the season and everybody seems to be believing it. If Moreno does lose his place then Lovern will be under huge pressure as our weakest link. The guy is no better than Skrtel. In fact Skrtel was a better option defensively.

Lovern is the worst centre back to ever be deemed first choice, for Liverpool. Pure brutal. My least favourite signing since Roy Hodgson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Lovern is the worst centre back to ever be deemed first choice, for Liverpool. Pure brutal. My least favourite signing since Roy Hodgson.

Djimi Traore anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Vicxas wrote: »
    Djimi Traore anyone?

He has more Champions League medals than both of us, combined.

Lovern is worse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Lovren's decent enough, probably not the 20M pound player we thought he was but not terrible......some people love to go overboard with criticism I suppose.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Lovren is not as bad as some chringenly believe. He is a left sided center back who played loads at right side for Liverpool. The end of last season when he had his purple patch it was at left side.............

Cares looked a disaster when played left side. Sami looked a disaster when at right side.....

It matters.

As for Moreno the only reason I can think is loop believes he can be coached to be adequate enough at defending whole his attacking side is obviously good enough for a wing back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

He has more Champions League medals than both of us, combined.

Lovern is worse!

Up until klopp came in I would agree but lovren has certainly went on a redemptive arc since then, his partnership with sakho seemed to be forming well through to the end of the season but sakho had to chalk up another behavioural mark against him so that's on the back burner again.
    If lovren keeps playing it simple he should do well again, if he reverts to his Billy big balls sh!te again like under Rodgers it won't end well for him. I think lovren will probably last longer at the club than sakho which I never would have thought a season ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

One of the "gossip" pages this morning:

~Daily Express
    Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho has reportedly held talks with Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli; Mourinho managed him during his time at Inter Milan.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

GBX wrote: »
    One of the "gossip" pages this morning:

~Daily Express
    Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho has reportedly held talks with Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli; Mourinho managed him during his time at Inter Milan.

:D

O97G1_s-200x150.gif

Torben Piechnik, Nicky Tanner, Djimi Traore, Kvarme were all worse!
    Stig Inge Bjornebye when he played CB in his first season was muck also and you could nearly throw Phil Babb into that list too!

Mr.H wrote: »

As for Moreno the only reason I can think is loop believes he can be coached to be adequate enough at defending whole his attacking side is obviously good enough for a wing back

Does a team with a back 4 & all but the midfield 2 (neither an actual DM) being attackers accommodate wing backs though.

Wing backs have their place with a back 3 or when there is a designated DM who never ventures forward covering but I don't think a back 4 without a DM can afford to have a wing back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

One year ago I would have agreed with the lovren hate (Lalanna too).

I am surprised he hasn't impressed some of you more by his performances recently though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

noodler wrote: »
    One year ago I would have agreed with the lovren hate (Lalanna too).

I am surprised he hasn't impressed some of you more by his performances recently though.

Same here. I'm very happy with Lovren. He had an awful start as everyone knows but he got his stuff together and played very well for the 2nd half of last season, did fine on Sunday too so I don't see why people are still on his case.

In fact, for all the (unjustified) love that Sakho seems to get from our fans, I'd have Lovren ahead of Sakho any day.
    He's a better CB all round.

I'm too old to hate anybody.

I'm saying that Moreno is doing Lovern a big favour by being so poor. He is not even close to the standard required. When Moreno loses his place then Lovern will feel the heat.

• Advertisement

Is the game on Saturday on live on TV? And if so which channel is showing it now that Setanta is gone and Sky Sports Mix doesn't seem to be launched yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Is the game on Saturday on live on TV? And if so which channel is showing it now that Setanta is gone and Sky Sports Mix doesn't seem to be launched yet!

Sky Sports 5 have it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Same here. I'm very happy with Lovren. He had an awful start as everyone knows but he got his stuff together and played very well for the 2nd half of last season, did fine on Sunday too so I don't see why people are still on his case.

In fact, for all the (unjustified) love that Sakho seems to get from our fans, I'd have Lovren ahead of Sakho any day.
    He's a better CB all round.

I wouldn't go that far personally.

I love watching Sakho play (centre half - no left back - that scares me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Klavan saying all the right things, starting to like this chap:
    “It was a crazy game,” Klavan told the Liverpool Echo.

“This is one of the best leagues in the world and when your first game is against Arsenal you know it’s going to be at a really high level. It was a good for me to see what the Premier League is like.

“For the spectators, it was an amazing game to watch but there were good moments and bad moments for us. Winning was special but as a centre-half, when your team concedes three goals it’s never too great a day. You can’t be too happy.

“We have to look into that and we will work on things in training for sure. There’s a lot of room for improvements.”

I'd not be shocked if Matip and Klavan ended up as the default pairing by mid season,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'd not be shocked if Matip and Klavan ended up as the default pairing by mid season,
    Going by their stats in the Bundesligue, it wouldn't be a big surprise at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

I love watching Sakho play

Too much of a nutter for my liking. He's always got that one insane moment in him.
    He can look superb for 89 mins and then bang, moment of madness.

I can see why people warm to him as he comes across as a likeable, slightly crazy character.
    Unfortunately that seems to be his nature on the field too. Slightly crazy.

Like someone else mentioned, Matip and Klavan will have a great chance of being the 1st choice pairing in time, I'd say Lovren is there or there abouts too.

Sakho has some catching up to do with the other 3 imo.

I love watching Sakho play (centre half - no left back - that scares me).

Me too, he's a great outlet too, I'd sooner see him play the ball to midfield than Moreno tearing up the byline with it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I wonder will Matip get a run out on Saturday or will it be the Burton game before he is given a first competitive start?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

5starpool wrote: »
    I wonder will Matip get a run out on Saturday or will it be the Burton game before he is given a first competitive start?

My money is on Matip playing CB with Klavin playing LB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement