Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is Cloughie jr still manager at Burton?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Sports journalist with a lot of LFC followers.

... who had a lot of LFC followers... after it gets around that he's a fan of the rag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Is Cloughie jr still manager at Burton?

Yuup he is indeed. Hope to see grujic start against them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

ricero wrote: »
    Yuup he is indeed. Hope to see grujic start against them

And Matip and Ings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I wouldn't have a great knowledge of the academy players. But Harry, realistically how many of these guys in your opinion will ever challenge for a starting 11 place for at least 3/4 seasons.

God knows! Every time I pin my hopes on a player he gets sold! Joao Carlos Teixeria and Sergi Canos being the most recent examples. But I'm going to say that unforeseen circumstances aside Sheyi Ojo, Ryan Kent, Ovie Ejaria and Cameron Branngan all have a more than decent chance of becoming solid squad players in the next 12-18 months. Danny Ward is more tricky being a keeper, hopefully Mig will feck off next summer and he becomes the bench/Cup keeper. Obviously playing European footie would be a big help in this regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I think the pressure that's put on these kids as a result of Harry's expectations is ultimately weighting them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I can't help but feel amid all of this optimism about beating Arsenal away, looking fitter than ever after a full Klopp preseason, Mane looking like a bargain at £32m after 1 game and the likes of Sturridge, Sakho and Grujic to come, that we're almost definitely going to cock it up on Saturday and lose to Burnley. It would just be so Liverpool, wouldn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Grayditch wrote: »
    It's Thursday and here's a picture of Davis N'gog clapping a good pass that he couldn't quite stick the head on for whatever reason.

Wr0D9QJ.jpg

Ah I must thank the lad for giving me my inspiration for my Fantasy Football team for the past 6 years or so. FC Stop N'Gog, perfect mix of his name and a classic texas hold em move. :)

I've kiboshed so many talents! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I can't help but feel amid all of this optimism about beating Arsenal away, looking fitter than ever after a full Klopp preseason, Mane looking like a bargain at £32m after 1 game and the likes of Sturridge, Sakho and Grujic to come, that we're almost definitely going to cock it up on Saturday and lose to Burnley. It would just be so Liverpool, wouldn't it?

Cant beat a bit of optimism to get ya going !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

DrumSteve wrote: »
    They should have included a complimentary Barber's Adagio for Strings with every banning.

"Oh, Ade boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling"

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    It's Thursday and here's a picture of Davis N'gog clapping a good pass that he couldn't quite stick the head on for whatever reason.

Wr0D9QJ.jpg

He should have been a keeper with those giant hands

His hands aren't massive, it's just his head is tiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Echo reporting Pool could be looking at Bruno Martins Indi for LB.

Stupid Rumour section I presume

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I really wonder is three at the back something Klopp is looking at as we are well stocked in CB's and Martins Indi can play LCB.

Oh I just spotted the link for the 'legacy site' there and got back to the old format. Thank christ for that, that new site layout was making my eyes bleed! :mad:

mormank wrote: »
    Oh I just spotted the link for the 'legacy site' there and got back to the old format. Thank christ for that, that new site layout was making my eyes bleed! :mad:

its well shit, 'innit m8

They stopped updating the forum menu on the old site too so it's a pain to find newer forums if you're not following them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Klopp has 10 points out of 12 away from home from Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and City. The ould alternative table would expect 4 points, so sorted on that score.

Really need to consistently beat the dross at home and the away form will look after itself.

Best stat from Sunday was 12 shots from inside the box which considering we were in the bottom 6 for that last season, it seems to be something Klopp bought to address. Ings coming back also helps.

Considering Liverpool under Klopp are the highest scorers in the league this calender year...

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Our problems have been against the bottom 12/13 teams for the last two decades losing or drawing against them.

Losing or drawing to those teams is the major issue that needs to be addressed I think.

It's all well and good smashing Arsenal or City then following it up with a draw or lose to Burnley is what we need to stop.

its well shit, 'innit m8

They stopped updating the forum menu on the old site too so it's a pain to find newer forums if you're not following them.

Aw it's the worst! I realise that alot of the times internet sites update alot of regs don't like it just because they don't like change, but that really is paticularly terrible imo. Hope they don't take away the option of the legacy site after time. This is the only thread i bother with these days so shouldn't be too difficult to keep track of.

• Advertisement

I've no idea what you're on about

il_340x270.530405495_k1fw.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

K-9 wrote: »
    Considering Liverpool under Klopp are the highest scorers in the league this calender year...

Didn't know that. Class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Ugh, I'd rather keep him than cave into them like that. Really think we'd have gotten the full £32m back if we stood firm.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Ugh, I'd rather keep him than cave into them like that. Really think we'd have gotten the full £32m back if we stood firm.

So basically Palace have re-iterated their opening offer and we've done what actually made sense at that point (remember he has been amortised by one year/6.5 million quid already so 27m actually represents a book profit)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Benteke gone. 27m +.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Fair play to him, I hope he does as well as possible without affecting us of course.

I'm delighted if it's done cos I've been waiting to get him into my Fantasy team if he does go there. If he goes there I predict goals goals goals!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Love to spend the cash on a new lb or centre midfielder. We have actually made a profit this window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You're completely ignoring the saving on wages which is significant.
    Deal is £27m + £5m add ons so it's a good deal.

Also, not fair on the player if he's not going to get a look in.

So basically Palace have re-iterated their opening offer and we've done what actually made sense at that point (remember he has been amortised by one year/6.5 million quid already so 27m actually represents a book profit)

Not when you factor in his year's wages. Can't go into diminishing transfer value and not take into account the amount he's cost us in salary.

£27m isn't a disaster though and I don't really worry about finances in terms of buying or selling players, just that good footballing decisions are made.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't have minded holding onto him for another year at least but selling him gives me hope we might sign another player or two that could strengthen weak areas of the squad (starting left back, right back cover).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Fair play to him, I hope he does as well as possible without affecting us of course.

Nailed on to score against us this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I hope he scores the kind of goals that Charlie Adam did after being sold. I seem to remember Adam finding the net against most of our rivals when he joined Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

murpho999 wrote: »
    You're completely ignoring the saving on wages which is significant.

Also, not fair on the player if he's not going to get a look in.

He wanted to stay and fight for his place, he wasn't begging for a transfer by any means. :confused:

As for the wages, yeah you have a point there but if the money isn't going to be reinvested we'd still be better off paying his wages and having a good backup if we have another injury crisis which happens often with Klopp sides, but I'll not get into that because it could be purely coincidental.

Regarding the bit you edited in about the £27m+£5m, those add-one might be hugely unrealistic for him to achieve. Might not be though at the same time, either way the finances of the club don't concern me greatly, even if it seems like they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i think its a great deal tbh,im still kinda saying to myself... 27 million pounds plus to palace..CRYSTAL PALACE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Delighted to see Benteke going. Poor fella never fit in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'd imagine the add-ons this time round aren't as stupid.

THey were dependent on Palace getting CL and other bollocks like that in the previous bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

It's probably a good thing that he's going and it was fairly inevitable, but there's no real gain to us right now selling him. I doubt it will have an effect on what we're willing to spend on other players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

He wanted to stay and fight for his place, he wasn't begging for a transfer by any means. :confused:

As for the wages, yeah you have a point there but if the money isn't going to be reinvested we'd still be better off paying his wages and having a good backup if we have another injury crisis which happens often with Klopp sides, but I'll not get into that because it could be purely coincidental.

Regarding the bit you edited in about the £27m+£5m, those add-one might be hugely unrealistic for him to achieve. Might not be though at the same time, either way the finances of the club don't concern me greatly, even if it seems like they do.
    Improving the team/squad and having a positive net spend.....#Kloppisalegend:)

• Advertisement

So if Benteke leaves for that fee, himself and Ibe will essentially have covered the bulk of Mane and Wijnaldum signing. Also his wages were a fair chunk.

All considered we'll be quite healthy financially heading into the season, stadium expanded, good sized squad with reasonable strength in depth for a team not contesting European competition. Klopp at the helm.

You'd imagine if we got Top4 there'd be a decent wedge available to get more players Klopp wants, can't complain to be fair to all concerned :)

Okay stand by for a small shock

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/18/liverpool-agree-to-sell-christian-benteke-to-crystal-palace-for-27m
    Liverpool have finally reached agreement for the sale of Christian Benteke to Crystal Palace and opened the door for Danny Ings to depart Anfield.The deal comes on the day when Jürgen Klopp said the England striker needs to be playing regularly as he continues his recovery from injury. Ings signed from Liverpool last summer only to sustain a cruciate ligament injury only half a dozen games into his Anfield career.

He made his comeback in the final game of last season but was not selected in the match-day squad for the Premier League fixture against Arsenal last Sunday. Klopp’s starting XI did not include a striker at all in fact, with the Brazilian Roberto Firmino playing in a ‘false nine’ position at the Emirates Stadium.

The Reds continue their campaign against Ings’s old club Burnley , but Klopp could not confirm a spot for the player who scored 11 league goals for the Clarets in 2014-15.

btw this should make it clear for anyone who still doesn't get it - Klopp regards Firmino as a forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Not when you factor in his year's wages. Can't go into diminishing transfer value and not take into account the amount he's cost us in salary.

£27m isn't a disaster though and I don't really worry about finances in terms of buying or selling players, just that good footballing decisions are made.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't have minded holding onto him for another year at least but selling him gives me hope we might sign another player or two that could strengthen weak areas of the squad (starting left back, right back cover).

Well, not really, we got a years work from him for a years pay. It's not like he was injured for the whole year or something, he still made 45 appearances for us last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

All the best to Benteke ..
    Good deal by the club.

Improving the team/squad and having a positive net spend.....#Kloppisalegend:)

Yes, but leaving aside the net spend in joke, having a net profit when we have a major problem position would be utterly ludicrous. Signing a good left back could add 6-10 points to our total.

I don't know what's gotten into me being serious all of a sudden, I'm a bit worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

Okay stand by for a small shock

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/18/liverpool-agree-to-sell-christian-benteke-to-crystal-palace-for-27m

btw this should make it clear for anyone who still doesn't get it - Klopp regards Firmino as a forward.

He hasn't had a chance to get a few games for Klopp yet. I wouldn't like to see him leave already. (I'm talking about Ings, not Benteke)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Best business of the summer. Unreal we got our money back. Cheerio Benteke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

In a way i'd almost be more worried if we still had Smith and Flanagan, as that might signal sticking with those options...letting them go really points towards replacing them sooner or later...still almost 2 weeks left in the window. I'm confident Klopp'll get it done.

(Fingers Firmly Crossed).

Quite surprised we still have Wisdom on the books at this stage too actually, really looks nowhere near the level required. If anything, he looks to have regressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yes, but leaving aside the net spend in joke, having a net profit when we have a major problem position would be utterly ludicrous. Signing a good left back could add 6-10 points to our total.

I don't know what's gotten into me being serious all of a sudden, I'm a bit worried.
    Welcome to old age:P

It's still early in the transfer window, iirc a large portion of transfers happen in the last 2 weeks of the window. I am assuming discussions are going on with some club(s) for a LB, I find it hard to believe Klopp/any sane human being would think going into a 45+ game season with Moreno as the only senior LB and no adequate cover for either FB positions is an OK situation.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    In a way i'd almost be more worried if we still had Smith and Flanagan, as that might signal sticking with those options...letting them go really points towards replacing them sooner or later...still almost 2 weeks left in the window. I'm confident Klopp'll get it done.

(Fingers Firmly Crossed).

Quite surprised we still have Wisdom on the books at this stage too actually, really looks nowhere near the level required. If anything, he looks to have regressed.

Well, spending a year under Alex Neil will probably do that to you.

I don't mind loaning a player out to a weak squad with a good manger and coaching stuff, but he went to a weak squad with a mediocre manager and coaching staff. That move never made sense to me, but hindsight is 20/20 I suppose.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement