Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

NukaCola wrote: »
    The ball was leaving the area and Walcott would have to go out wide, Moreno did not have to lunge, there was no clear path to goal for Walcott.....it wasn't unlucky it was bad decision making.....

Yea true.
    Unlucky after his rash decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Yea true.
    Unlucky after his rash decision.

Well, when you make bad decisions you'll tend to get unlucky in games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

From Reddit:
    We essentially payed about £500,000 to get Aston Villa relegated

Money well spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Thats sad to read. Big Joe Allen fan. Wrong decision to sell imo. We couldve use him. Nice one for the linkm

The penalty was unlucky too, he won ball, but chain of events was against him. Walcott got touch 1/2 sec later after he won it.

Sorry lad but his tackle was ****ing shockingly stupid. Horrible, 'brainless'.

Allen is typical British player who thinks he should get a huge send off party.

Bull**** and a lack of respect really. Joe Allen was a model pro for Liverpool.

I'm still a little gutted he's sold to be honest... And surprised Klopp didnt value him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Thats sad to read. Big Joe Allen fan. Wrong decision to sell imo. We couldve use him. Nice one for the linkm

I'd have like for him to stay, but no way was he sticking around to start on the bench. Transfer the best option for him.

Think he is well rated by most at the club but not seen as a regular starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The ball was leaving the area and Walcott would have to go out wide, Moreno did not have to lunge, there was no clear path to goal for Walcott.....it wasn't unlucky it was bad decision making.....

Yeah, I can see a case for Moreno for the goal but nope, not the penalty. It was as clear cut a penalty as you get.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I'd have like for him to stay, but no way was he sticking around to start on the bench. Transfer the best option for him.

Think he is well rated by most at the club but not seen as a regular starter.

I think he could have been a starter personally.is Wijnaldum a level above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Is that what he's complaining about? No. He's saying he was never even contacted by the club, who went ahead and accepted an offer from another club without even informing him. Whatever way you frame it, that's pretty ****ty. They're under no obligation to have a discussion with him, but it's just common curtesy to let him know where he stands.
    Is it not enough for the fans and club to appreciate him for everything he gave club.
    That's kind of the point - this type of behavior treats him like a commodity, rather than a person who's hard work you've appreciated.

Bad form from the club, and I hope they learn from it. Too often players get treated purely like assets, rather than people I think, and it's just another of the many ways in which the footballing world is shifting further away from reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Find it hard to believe his agent was oblivious to the transfer negotiations with Stoke tbh. I'm sure if he was going to sign a new deal that it would have happened before the Euros too. He wanted first team football & wasn't getting it which likely left both at an impasse.
    It gets to the stage where you decide to cash in, if a player enters September 1st without signing a contract he has all the power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I find it hard to believe that Joe Allen's agent did not know before a journalist and that it was a friend who texted him.

Joe Allen leaving this summer was a talking point before the season even finished as he was going in to his final year of contract.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/agent-liverpool-fc-star-joe-11403273

It was May 30th for this interview so naturally they hadn't heard from the club one way or the other.

It came down to first team football which he wasn't going to be guaranteed. The risk to Liverpool is that he goes in to his final season without signing a new contract and they lose him next year for nothing.

He was one of the players of the tournament in France so the first decent offer to come in for him of course the club can accept without contacting him.

It was up to Allen and his agent to reject the move.

There is no way a club will tell a player or agent that an offer has come in for them before accepting or rejecting it. All that discussion happens afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I think he could have been a starter personally.is Wijnaldum a level above?

Wijnaldum offers something Allen rarely offered and that's a goal threat. In 221 league games Allen has a career total of 12 goals, and in 258 league games Wijnaldum has a career total of 74 goals. Different players and Wijnaldum is probably more suited to Klopps preferred style of play. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Joe Allen fan and would have preferred if he stayed, but he wasn't going to be getting many league starts and playing week in, week out is a lot better for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

punk_one82 wrote: »
    Wijnaldum offers something Allen rarely offered and that's a goal threat. In 221 league games Allen has a career total of 12 goals, and in 258 league games Wijnaldum has a career total of 74 goals. Different players and Wijnaldum is probably more suited to Klopps preferred style of play. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Joe Allen fan and would have preferred if he stayed, but he wasn't going to be getting many league starts and playing week in, week out is a lot better for him.

He had a good assist too for Lallana's goal. I think he will develop well under Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

dogbert27 wrote: »
    He had a good assist too for Lallana's goal. I think he will develop well under Klopp.

I think he will too. We haven't had a goal threat playing CM since Stevie G was playing at a decent level. Having Wijnaldum and Lallana in there we now have 2 goal threats. It does leave us vulnerable in defence, but I've really liked what I've seen from Klavan. No nonsense and comfortable on the ball. I'd love to see him form a solid partnership with one of Matip or Sakho. Unfortunately Moreno leaves us pretty weak in defence and with the attacking type of style we're going for we need to be pretty reliable in the back 4, and for the most part we are right now, with LB being the obvious weak link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

of course the club can accept without contacting him.
    Absolute BS. The professional/courteous/human thing to do is to contact the player either immediately before (to say an offer been received which we are going to accept) or immediately after an offer has been accepted for him.

Anyone who thinks someone employed by the club, particularly someone who always tried his best and never caused any trouble, doesn't deserve that sort of common courtesy shown to them should not be a Liverpool fan. That sort of ignorant behaviour isn't what the club is about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You are on your own planet, aren't you?

He was one of the players of the tournament in France so the first decent offer to come in for him of course the club can accept without contacting him.

It was up to Allen and his agent to reject the move.

There is no way a club will tell a player or agent that an offer has come in for them before accepting or rejecting it. All that discussion happens afterwards.

You're obviously 100% correct and more in tune with what goes on than Joe Allen is. Cheers for setting us straight :)

K-9 wrote: »
    Would suggest Ojo not going on loan?

Harsh on Ings if it does happen but we've about 11 attacking options atm, and that's with Benteke and Mario gone.

The logic could be send Ings on loan to somewhere he'll get plenty of game time, manage Ojo ourselves this season and swap the situation next season.

The problem is the club is over loaded with attacking talent, yet we're light at CM and a possible crisis at LB. The window has been good attacking wise but poor enough besides that.

It's only the Guardian running with these "quotes", it's horse sh1t I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Absolute BS. The professional/courteous/human thing to do is to contact the player either immediately before (to say an offer been received which we are going to accept) or immediately after an offer has been accepted for him.

Anyone who thinks someone employed by the club, particularly someone who always tried his best and never caused any trouble, doesn't deserve that sort of common courtesy shown to them should not be a Liverpool fan. That sort of ignorant behaviour isn't what the club is about.

You're basing this all on one side of an argument, the club haven't made any comments. There's every chance that the "friend" just read something in a rumors section of a paper and reported that and it turned out that we were accepting a bid.

Regardless I imagine all discussions would have involved his agent. Why would they contact Allen when he literally has someone employed to deal with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yes, one must feel sympathy towards a millionaire footballer completing a deal that makes him even richer.

I'm sure he had no idea it was going to happen whilst he was at the Euros even though everybody else with internet access did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Peter Coates, the Stoke chairman, announced that they were in talks for Allen. It came out during the Huddersfield game.

I think what's happened here is that Stoke approached the club first (which they're supposed to do), agreed in principle on a valuation, and then announced it in the press before anyone at Liverpool could inform the player or his agent as they'd presumably have to speak to Klopp first about the offer, or want him to be the one to speak to Allen. Considering there was a match on, I'd say it was in the press before even Klopp knew about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

You are on your own planet, aren't you?

Yes, a procedurally generated planet, one of 18 quintillion...

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes, one must feel sympathy towards a millionaire footballer completing a deal that makes him even richer.

I'm sure he had no idea it was going to happen whilst he was at the Euros even though everybody else with internet access did.

No ones crying for Joe, and rumours of a transfer is irrelevant.

Joe said "Not knowing whether the club intend to sell you or keep you, especially when you're trying to ask the question, is disappointing."

So, he wasn't 100% sure that he would be sold and was trying to find out. Then his friend told him a bid was accepted when he didn't know.

You can be snidey if you want but I'd personally expect the club to treat players better.......selling him is one thing, accepting bids and not talking to him is another. Poor form from the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

No one will risk buying Sturridge - NO ONE! That said every chance Klopp will sell him next summer with Aboomerrang coming in!
    Yep, Sturridge would need to do a Van Persie (in his last Arsenal season) and get one full season under his belt before anyone is tempted.

• Advertisement

I am also perfectly ok with Danny Ings leaving. He's likeable, has a great attitude and is a decent player, but I think he is short of what we need when compared to the likes of Firmino, Sturridge and Mane and at 24 it's not likely he'll improve.

I am also perfectly ok with Danny Ings leaving. He's likeable, has a great attitude and is a decent player, but I think he is short of what we need when compared to the likes of Firmino, Sturridge and Mane and at 24 it's not likely he'll improve.

Well if he leaves and they bring in someone with the ability of the others you mention, happy days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No ones crying for Joe, and rumours of a transfer is irrelevant.

Joe said "Not knowing whether the club intend to sell you or keep you, especially when you're trying to ask the question, is disappointing."

So, he wasn't 100% sure that he would be sold and was trying to find out. Then his friend told him a bid was accepted when he didn't know.

You can be snidey if you want but I'd personally expect the club to treat players better.......selling him is one thing, accepting bids and not talking to him is another. Poor form from the club.

I find it hard to believe that stuff was going on without him knowing.

I also find it hard to believe that he found out via a friend.

Anyhow, isn't the correct process that Club A should first approach Club B. If club accepts an offer then the player is contacted?

So maybe they couldn't reach him.
    Two sides to every story as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

He'll be only reaching his peak in the next 3-4 years!

If we can't keep Ings happy as an option behind Firmino, Sturridge & Origi we have no hope of keeping anyone better happy so it's looney to sell him imo.

This year will hopefully be our last season without European football for quite a while. Between injuries, suspensions and rotation he should get enough minutes to keep him happy ish all considered.

Looney to even loan him out.............. surely we'll go two out and out strikers up front at some periods too, even the odd 30 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If Ings does leave it is because Klopp thinks we only need the main three as options, especially given the way we operate with them switching positions throughout. Worst case scenario, if all 3 of them were out, I'd imagine that without Ings we'd have a front 3 of Wijnaldum, Coutinho, Lallana with the likes of Ojo as another wide option. No one close to a number 9 there of course, but with the swarm attack we often play under Klopp it is probably not integral to our game, which is why Firmino is effective there.

I like Danny Ings and would be happy to have him as an option, but for him personally it may be better to move on as his opportunities will be limited. I'd like us to keep him, but can see why he might want to go, and why the club might not see him as important to keep.

I can't see us using Woodburn this season though, but hopefully he will continue to progress and get a good loan next season maybe to get some experience in league 1 or somewhere.

If injuries do hit us hard in a particular position though, I'd hope Ojo in particular, and perhaps even Ovie Ejaria might get some game time.

I wouldn't use the game against Burton to be experimental though as it is one of ony 2 cups we will be in this year and it is only the start of the season so no need to rest anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,730 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

cue Palace to beat us 3-2 this season and Benteke to score a hat-trick...

still good business though (and certainly not Carrollesqe losses on a striker)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So. No net spend this window. More of a net save....

Seriously - trasnform the squad he had into a better more excitign squad and actully make about 6 million profit doign it....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Klopp says Milner/Sturridge in full training. Lucas warming up with us, maybe today with us."

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/766227972856619008

5starpool wrote: »
    ........... Worst case scenario, if all 3 of them were out, I'd imagine that without Ings we'd have a front 3 of Wijnaldum, Coutinho, Lallana with the likes of Ojo as another wide option. No one close to a number 9 there of course, but with the swarm attack we often play under Klopp it is probably not integral to our game, which is why Firmino is effective there.

I don't see lots of goals there.
    I'd sooner keep Ings.

Seriously - transform the squad he had into a better more exciting squad and actually make about 6 million profit doing it....

This. We have brought in Mane, Matip, Klavan, Grujic, Wijnalbum and Karius. At first glance, all appear to be good fits and in positions we had problems. We lost Allen, Skrtel, Benteke and Ibe, all of whom we can comfortably do without.
    It's a great window, and just enough considering we have max 50-ish games this season.

(Setting aside Smith, Canos, Sinclair, Teixeira, Manninger...)

murpho999 wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that stuff was going on without him knowing.

Two sides to every story as they say.

I agree.....I am of course assuming Joe isn't lying, not sure why he would though, maybe he's not happy at being forced out, as you say 2 sides to every story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

While the argument could be made that he won't get a chance, is that really enough for us to be talking of leaving Ings go, given that, on account of a very serious injury, he's never really been given an opportunity.

Something tells me that Ings has waited long enough for an opportunity, he won't be fleeing now unless he's effectively told he's not going to get a fair crack of the whip. He seems like the kind of pro who'll pull up his socks and battle for a spot.

Sturridge can't be relied upon, Firmino & Coutihno will no doubt miss games after Brazil duty & general knocks (hopefully not obviously but no player is immune....maybe Suarez) - Ings will be get chances & I genuinely believe he's the Robbie Keane-esque player to take them & get goals

He buzzez around, works hard, has a good scoring record - there's absolutely no reason why we should be allowing him to leave without taking a proper look this season

Seriously - trasnform the squad he had into a better more excitign squad and actully make about 6 million profit doign it....

Still improvements that need be made (isn't there always I suppose), especially LB and CM, 2 quality players could push us even further but not sure if either are likely this window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Dickerty wrote: »
    This. We have brought in Mane, Matip, Klavan, Grujic, Wijnalbum and Karius. At first glance, all appear to be good fits and in positions we had problems. We lost Allen, Skrtel, Benteke and Ibe, all of whom we can comfortably do without.
    It's a great window, and just enough considering we have max 50-ish games this season.

(Setting aside Smith, Canos, Sinclair, Teixeira, Manninger...)

The Smith business in particular was stellar. He couldn't get himself a club a year ago, now we have €6mil in the bank.

FSG have gotten a lot of flack over the last few years for seeming penny pinching, and even I've been frustrated from time to time. But I've saying for a while now that there's been a clear approach by FSG to stop the club being treated as the soft touch it had become over the best part of 3 decades.

Retraining the entire football world to stop doing business with us as though we're gobdaws was always going to take time, but this summer we're really seeing that long term strategy starting to bear fruit.

It's not winning the title, by any means, but I find that change in how we do business pretty satisfying.

It's also why I'm not too ****ing bothered about disingenuous cryarsing from Joe Allen because his agent didn't text him as quickly as his mate about the move he was looking for in any event. Pull up your big boy pants and wipe your nose, ffs. Could be a lot worse, could be Tony Hibbert.

• Advertisement

Still improvements that need be made (isn't there always I suppose), especially LB and CM, 2 quality players could push us even further but not sure if either are likely this window.

For now, I think we are WELL stacked at CM. Lucas, Hendo, Can, Wijnaldum, Grujic, Milner, Lallana. Young enough group, talented enough, goals in it. I think there is still an obsession with having a DM, but that's not how we play. We don't sit back and protect the CBs, we hunt the ball so the CBs can just concentrate on on their shape and the strikers.

LB - he seems to want to trust Moreno, and use Milner, Clyne and Gomez as cover. But in the press conference yesterday, he said they can still buy a players if it's exactly the player they want, and have to consider what a signing does to the player who currently had that shirt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I like Ings but I struggle to picture him getting much game time this year. Klopp clearly favours one up top and Sturridge, Firmino and Origi clearly ahead of him and if all three weren't available you'd probably reshuffle slightly and put Mane up front for a big game.

Dickerty wrote: »
    For now, I think we are WELL stacked at CM. Lucas, Hendo, Can, Wijnaldum, Grujic, Milner, Lallana. Young enough group, talented enough, goals in it. I think there is still an obsession with having a DM, but that's not how we play. We don't sit back and protect the CBs, we hunt the ball so the CBs can just concentrate on on their shape and the strikers.

LB - he seems to want to trust Moreno, and use Milner, Clyne and Gomez as cover. But in the press conference yesterday, he said they can still buy a players if it's exactly the player they want, and have to consider what a signing does to the player who currently had that shirt...

Wijnaldum will probably play in CM but its not where he's best suited he scores his goals from attacking on the left, Milner is only ok in the middle, Lucas is fine for cover, Grujic wont play a lot, Lallana has never played CM for us or if he has its slightly more advanced than a normal CM.........from those players you got Wijnaldum, Hendo and Can with Milner/Lucas as cover. I dont see a lot of goals there at all.

Moreno needs to be replaced or at the very least have proper cover. Clyne coming over means you'll need RB cover also. Milner/Gomez are ok cover but you will still have a liability at LB.

My point was 2 quality player in CM and LB would push us on, I know we have plenty of cover but more quantity than quality IMO. I also think we might buy a backup rather than a first teamer but I'm ok to watch Klopp build his own squad. I'd be happy with a LB and see how we get on with our CM's. As of now we are in pretty good shape, we can always build on this as a base.

Wijnaldum will probably play in CM but its not where he's best suited he scores his goals from attacking on the left, Milner is only ok in the middle, Lucas is fine for cover, Grujic wont play a lot, Lallana has never played CM for us or if he has its slightly more advanced than a normal CM.........from those players you got Wijnaldum, Hendo and Can with Milner/Lucas as cover. I dont see a lot of goals there at all.

Wijnaldum is absolutely able to play CM. At PSV, most his games were as a CM or attacking CM. His best games for Newcastle (esp. under Rafa) were at CM. He may play in a 3 and drift left or right, but no more than Hendo or Milner do.
    Likewise Lallana - not sitting in front of a back 2, but a narrow midfielder, like last weekend.

Anyway - in Klopp we trust!

5starpool wrote: »
    If Ings does leave it is because Klopp thinks we only need the main three as options, especially given the way we operate with them switching positions throughout. Worst case scenario, if all 3 of them were out, I'd imagine that without Ings we'd have a front 3 of Wijnaldum, Coutinho, Lallana with the likes of Ojo as another wide option. No one close to a number 9 there of course, but with the swarm attack we often play under Klopp it is probably not integral to our game, which is why Firmino is effective there.

I like Danny Ings and would be happy to have him as an option, but for him personally it may be better to move on as his opportunities will be limited. I'd like us to keep him, but can see why he might want to go, and why the club might not see him as important to keep.

I can't see us using Woodburn this season though, but hopefully he will continue to progress and get a good loan next season maybe to get some experience in league 1 or somewhere.

If injuries do hit us hard in a particular position though, I'd hope Ojo in particular, and perhaps even Ovie Ejaria might get some game time.

I wouldn't use the game against Burton to be experimental though as it is one of ony 2 cups we will be in this year and it is only the start of the season so no need to rest anyone.
    Exactly. We have options, if cover is needed, I would rather give someone like Ojo a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Too often players get treated purely like assets, rather than people I think, and it's just another of the many ways in which the footballing world is shifting further away from reality.

Yup. Agree completely. An awful lot comes from the so called fans and supporters too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Got to hand it to klopp and the club for getting rid of the amount of deadwood in the club. If we could just get rid of mario i will be chuffed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

ricero wrote: »
    Got to hand it to klopp and the club for getting rid of the amount of deadwood in the club. If we could just get rid of mario i will be chuffed

Can't see it happening without writing a check for a golden **** off of some form. Any deal that cuts his ties with the club before the window closes that costs even a bob less than keeping him on the payroll is worth considering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Who is to say the buying club did not send a press release before Liverpool could get a hold of Joe or even contact him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Brannigans loan move to Wigan collapses over the 75% appearance rule.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cameron-brannagans-loan-move-wigan-11771661

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement