Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Can needs to replace Henderson in Midfield. Henderson has been ghost of a player for fcuking ages.

Grujic looked like a threat when he came on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

NukaCola wrote: »
    Burnley played it perfectly. Hoof ball to 2 attackers when they got possession. Burnley scored early from a mistake and scored their second by running through our soft middle.

Our pressing doesn't work when the other team dosent keep the ball and our fast interplay doesn't work with 9 players behind the ball. So you need width and intelligent running into and around the box. We had neither. Easy to play us if you defend competently and hit us on the break. It has been this way for 5/6 years at this stage, we just dont seem to have the players to deal with it. Coutinho/Sturridge/Firmino all shooting from distance in a hit and hope kind of way, yet when a ball is put in the box they are around the 18 yard line looking to shoot.

As I wrote elsewhere

Today Klopp was confounded by discovering what happens when there is nothing to press, how does one counter attack a team that lets you have 80% the ball?

Well do don't as you can't, you need to find another way to get close to goal - the answer to that is obvious of course - open the scoring. If you concede first then you're basically ****ed against a 10 man defence with the way Klopp has the side set up. Hendo/Wij offers nothing as a defence and nothing in attack - they simply should not be playing together or deep. Can and Grujic would probably be the nearest to the right mix from the current squad, a proper ankle biter should have been bought.

The big failing of Rodgers 2013/14 season was using Gerrard as the controller in a diamond, here we are in 2016/17 and Klopp has his own variation of this strategic error

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Oh but they did. They offered up the tactical blueprint about how to beat us.

Sit tight, leave no room for through balls/runs and then pick your moment to play through the heart of us.

We're the ones who offered nothing. Still feel we are a total soft touch to play at times & never looked like getting back into it once. Clyne looked like he was out of position, Milner isn't a left back we all know that Jurgen doesn't, Klavan looked like a lad who was cheap for a reason, Lallana did okay. Coutinho was only trying to score worldies which was frustrating as the stewards were hit more than the target. Firmino gives away the ball too easy too often. Sturridge looks like he is constantly running up a wind tunnel now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

As I wrote elsewhere

Today Klopp was confounded by discovering what happens when there is nothing to press, how does one counter attack a team that lets you have 80% the ball?

Discovering?

This has been happening under Klopp since he got here.

Not to this level - 80% of the ****ing ball. They waited and we let them wait. Should have passed it to them constantly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Just over a week until the transfer deadline closes. Which Southampton player can we buy to turn our season around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Just over a week until the transfer deadline closes. Which Southampton player can we buy to turn our season around?

Let's just bite the bullet and buy the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

The answer to what Burnley did today was just to take on riskier passes. If it works great, if it doesn't then they win it back and we can try press counter. But passing it around as slowly as we did today is playing into their hands. Some people have talked about whipping better balls into the box but thats meat and drink for Burnley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

ERG89 wrote: »
    We're the ones who offered nothing. Still feel we are a total soft touch to play at times & never looked like getting back into it once. Clyne looked like he was out of position, Milner isn't a left back we all know that Jurgen doesn't, Klavan looked like a lad who was cheap for a reason, Lallana did okay. Coutinho was only trying to score worldies which was frustrating as the stewards were hit more than the target. Firmino gives away the ball too easy too often. Sturridge looks like he is constantly running up a wind tunnel now.

Yeah look I wouldn't argue with any of that.

But on most days the attacking side of things works better. It's not as though these lads are suddenly bad players.

Its a structural/tactical problem - If you have a back four and 6 other players who's nature is to attack first, defend second, then you are in trouble when a team scores first and sits deep, waiting for the moment to catch you on the bounce.

And just look how easy it was to catch us on the bounce, there wasn't even a tackle worthy of a mention the entire way up the park.

That's not good enough.

• Advertisement

Not to this level - 80% of the ****ing ball. They waited and we let them wait. Should have passed it to them constantly!

It suggests we're getting better by degrees in our passing and so on or variations in the style of play against us. I don't think there's any fundamental difference between dominating with 65% and 80%.

Sometimes teams have spells of possession against us when they threaten, even for 5-10 minutes. Today Burnley didn't. It makes no difference to how these games work. We might get 1 or 2 turnovers in games like that but that's not enough to sustain an attack.

What does Liverpool football actually look like?
    I know there's all this pressing stuff, but that's reactive. You don't make that. That's not our plan A. That's just a thing we do.

One would think that if we're going for something that dovetails with that reactive football we'd be heavily favouring direct play, energy, pace, width.

But then we've 1 full back who isn't awful and he himself isn't great going forward, we have 1 winger worth the name, Lallana is the slowest and least direct footballer ever and plays constantly, Sturridge is our main striker and he doesn't fit in with that anymore.
    What's the plan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

LiamoSail wrote: »
    A defeat at Turf Moore early in the season and with a new manager has been a good omen for the season ahead in the past #djimi

That was in the 3rd of the FA Cup, and we had that horrible yellow spideweb kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,482 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Yea they did offer a blue print but I think on another day against another team that tries this we will win 7 times out of 10 .
    You can't play like Burnley and expect success .

I was impressed with Grujic when he came on.

I think Henderson will struggle to keep his starting place in the midfield two but if he is fully recovered a game or two further up field would be playing to his strengths as others have mentioned.

Too much #10 up there again today, I'm not going to jump on the Mane is our saviour type thing but we missed what he provides today.

Against teams that sit back like Burnley do good old fashioned 4,4,2 is the way to go imo.

It is looking really puzzling how we sold Smith, loaned out Flannagan & seem to be putting our eggs in the Milner @ LB basket, more so when he publicly comments that he essentially doesn't want to play there.

To be fair to Milner he's attack minded but at 30 years old isn't pacey enough to cover the ground Moreno does and he also seems no better defensively. Add in that his left leg seems to be simply only good for standing on and a left back he does not make.

I'll be amazed if some sort of credible LB doesn't come in over the next 10/14 days, really has to happen now.

Ings mightn't have too many more U23 games ahead of him either.

Gbear wrote: »
    ...... Sturridge is our main striker and he doesn't fit in with that anymore.
    What's the plan?

I think looking at today Sturridge was wide supporting Firmino, Firmino is our main striker at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

You can't play like Burnley and expect success .

Success for burnley is survival. And playing like that is their best chance of survival. If they come out to play they'll get picked off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭doc_17

Our problems today are the same as they were last year. It's early in the season yes, but just a few things that if I'd be looking at.

If we don't invest we will not progress. That's just the way it is. Talk about philosophies all you want but that won't win you anything, good players will. We need a defensive midfielder. I see nobody in our squad better than Lucas at that which is not right given how long that problem has been there. Ever since Mascherano left really.

We need investment in the team. FSG are there to make money, and this transfer window is proving that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

3 points up 108 to play for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭54and56

They are all deadwood and should be sold without informing them.

If you forget goals and look at stats from Burnley game you would be fully of praise for the team, and if you had to guess a result you'd say Liverpool won it.
    I've never seen such a one sided game. I dunno what we could of done, maybe the captain should of picked up the ball ,marched over to the Burnley bench and start to hurl abuse at the Burnley manager for his lack of sportsmanship.
    If this was a boxing match ref would have stopped it. In snooker a ref would have a word with a player who makes no attempt to hit a ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Hopefully the chinese will sign us a left back

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote: »
    If we don't invest we will not progress. .....................

We need investment in the team. FSG are there to make money, and this transfer window is proving that.

I'm sure they want Top4 and the Champions League purse and earning potential that comes with it.

They simply won't go to anywhere close to £50m net spend per annum on transfer fees unless the clubs earning dictate that we can.

They are investing safely, the investment you reckon they should have a go off is high risk & admittedly high reward but in FSG land the reward does not justify the risk.

They saw us finish 2nd in 2013/2014, they saw us get to the final of the EL last year, leading at HT, 45 mins from CL football.... they saw Leicester win the PL last year.

Add in to that they spends required to have an on paper first 11 that makes you a banker for Top4 and I can see why they are going the steady, safe route. After how bad things were for us just over a few years ago I don't think their policy can be faulted tbh.

Ah jaysus, don't mention the war :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

A quote from dyche's interview
    Dyche: "Liverpool had 6 men in midfield at times. If I wanted to do that I'm sure we could dominate possession. We wanted to penetrate."
    He's spot on klopp got it totally wrong today

A quote from dyche's interview
    Dyche: "Liverpool had 6 men in midfield at times. If I wanted to do that I'm sure we could dominate possession. We wanted to penetrate."
    He's spot on klopp got it totally wrong today

Yep, that's it in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I dunno what we could of done, maybe the captain should of picked up the ball ,marched over to the Burnley bench and start to hurling abuse at the Burnley manager for his lack of sportsmanship. If this was a boxing match ref would have stopped it.

There's more than one way to play the game. There's no style that's more legitimate than any other.

We've spent 20-40m net in each year they've been here, although the wages going up and down slightly distorts that.

Klopp has been the one going on about not needing to spend and we're on course for a static transfer budget for the first time since FSG turned up.

It's not enough to gain on our rivals and we haven't spent what we've spent terribly wisely, but the squad is being invested in more heavily than all but a dozen clubs worldwide.

As far as I remember we've never heard of deals being impeded by the owners or because of funds, except at the manager's behest (Rodgers with Sigurdsson, Klopp with Teixeira), unlike the previous shower who were at it all the time.

ricero wrote: »
    Hopefully the chinese will sign us a left back

Wai Yu Sing Dum Song is decent. Other than that Hoo Flung Dung is another option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭doc_17

Augeo wrote: »
    I'm sure they want Top4 and the Champions League purse and earning potential that comes with it.

They simply won't go to anywhere close to £50m net spend per annum on transfer fees unless the clubs earning dictate that we can.

They are investing safely, the investment you reckon they should have a go off is high risk & admittedly high reward but in FSG land the reward does not justify the risk.

They saw us finish 2nd in 2013/2014, they saw us get to the final of the EL last year, leading at HT, 45 mins from CL football.... they saw Leicester win the PL last year.

Add in to that they spends required to have an on paper first 11 that makes you a banker for Top4 and I can see why they are going the steady, safe route. After how bad things were for us just over a few years ago I don't think their policy can be faulted tbh.

FSG's policy has seen us make top 4 one year out of six. Yes the previous owners left us in a jock, but it wasn't down to reckless transfer spending. Spending 20-30m per year won't get it done. I want is to win the league and we are so far away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Yep, that's it in a nutshell.

No its not.. its waffle. He could play 8 midfielders and we'd still have more possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    No its not.. its waffle. He could play 8 midfielders and we'd still have more possession.

Yea, Burnley would never ever have 80%+ possession against any team in the EPL, however I think his point is correct, he didn't set out to dominate possession and got what he wanted.

Its typical pat myself on the back manager spiel. They were lucky they scored a gift of a first goal so early, and even the second goal was lucky in that Klavens interception bounced off Defour and back into his path......any other day and we'd at least have gotten a point but he set his team up to take advantage of those types of situations so fair play to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

How many years have Liverpool been dodgy at the back and struggle to beat teams that park the bus? Manager after manager, never changes.

Looking for a big reaction next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mane was bought to be the player to break down teams like Burnley I think it's just a pity we don't have another player like him.

A player who has direct pace and can do something off the cuff and unexpected as seen by his goal against Arsenal.

''Next on BBC1 Match Of The Day with a fully clothed Gary Lineker''

BBC intro after news ended.

Liverpool first up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Once was enough to see that ****e today!

Dunno how Clyne was not mentioned
    He was to blame for first goal, what an idiot.
    Hadn't seen first goal until now, watched whole game live, just missed the first.

Our problems today are the same as they were last year. It's early in the season yes, but just a few things that if I'd be looking at.

If we don't invest we will not progress. That's just the way it is. Talk about philosophies all you want but that won't win you anything, good players will. We need a defensive midfielder. I see nobody in our squad better than Lucas at that which is not right given how long that problem has been there. Ever since Mascherano left really.

How many times is this lie going to be posted as fact? FSG have bought the players Klopp has wanted - if he wanted Dahoud they'd have made an offer, if he wanted Hector they'd have made an offer to get him. Blame Klopp for buying cheap players if you like and blame the club for selling so well if you like - but that's why LFC is in profit. Its not because they won't spend the money.

Since stats began no team has won with so little possession .

Dunno how Clyne was not mentioned
    He was to blame for first goal, what an idiot.
    Hadn't seen first goal until now, watched whole game live, just missed the first.

It was mentioned quite a bit, and it was a mistake, one misplaced pass, hardly grounds to call him an idiot.....he's had a 2 poor enough games but has rarely let us down, give the guy a break....

• Advertisement

Since stats began no team has won with so little possession .

Since Opta stats started tracking possession in 2004, stats have been around quite a long while before that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

6ad519f26cc4a37d3996f96de5491b5a.jpg

I like Lovren but he was some fanny for the second goal, turned his back on the shot afraid to put his body on the line.......I mean, he still might not have blocked it but I cant imagine Carra for example not lunging for the ball......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

NukaCola wrote: »
    I like Lovren but he was some fanny for the second goal, turned his back on the shot afraid to put his body on the line.......I mean, he still might not have blocked it but I cant imagine Carra for example not lunging for the ball......

yeah he did the same for Ox's goal last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

ricero wrote: »
    The chinese are coming. Fsg in talks to sell a stake of the club

FSG released a statement yesterday saying they are not selling the club and are in for the long term.

Chris Bascombe ✔
    @_ChrisBascombe

LFC's position tonight is there are no active discussions/bid for the club. They're not actively soliciting investment & club not for sale.
    10:28 PM - 20 Aug 2016

I think we can put this to bed.

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »
    FSG released a statement yesterday saying they are not selling the club and are in for the long term.

They also said

"We've said in the past, under the right conditions and absolutely with the right partner, we could look at some small investment stake in the club but only in the framework of doing what would be in the club's long-term best interests."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Seems strange that the club haven't tried to replicate a Alonso/Mascherano partnership. It's quite clear that it would help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Mane massive loss today

He has played one competitive game for us ffs.

brevity wrote: »
    Seems strange that the club haven't tried to replicate a Alonso/Mascherano partnership. It's quite clear that it would help.

Ask Klopp what he wants...he runs the team not FSG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

I think we can put this to bed.

This pops up every few months, but this time it's being reported in the Financial Times and Sunday Times. Everything is for sale at the right price.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement