Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I know I'll prob get slated for this but I think Clyne is overrated. He's very good defensively but not great on the ball. I think the shambles at LB has made him seem better than he actually is. Don't get me wrong I'm still happy to have him, every team should have at least one of the back four who can actually defend...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

I had almost forgotten how crappy a defeat can make you feel. It actually buggers up the entire weekend. As if it wasn't bad enough that I'm hungover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Milkers wrote: »
    I know I'll prob get slated for this but I think Clyne is overrated. He's very good defensively but not great on the ball. I think the shambles at LB has made him seem better than he actually is. Don't get me wrong I'm still happy to have him, every team should have at least one of the back four who can actually defend...

I think he's a very good RB and doesn't need to be replaced, if you look at the league he is probably in the top 4 best RBs IMO.....very solid never great going forward and had two poor games but rarely leaves us down.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

NukaCola wrote: »
    Two CBs let Vokes have a free shot that went top corner.....he was never getting to it.......

Its funny that i'm in a position of defending a keeper I dont like, if only our Defence done the same :pac:

Yeah the defenders were rubbish but I still think he should have got to it...he just seemed to dive onto the ground.

I have to leave it now cos I need to pop out for a while. Take it easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

As I responded in the match thread he saved a peno one game ago.....

Fine.

He 'very rarely' bails us out, and makes mistakes and let's in soft shots to offset the very isolated occasions he makes an unexpected save.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

In regards to Henderson, he is only good when he has a leader like Gerrard beside him. He's a follower not a leader, and the fact he is our captain is a joke. Lots of people are writing him off but he was brilliant in the season we blew the title. I would love to see a quality DM come in who can lead the team and take over the captaincy.

I would love to see a quality DM come in who can lead the team and take over the captaincy.

Matip.....I base that on absolutely nothing....

SlickRic wrote: »
    Fine.

He 'very rarely' bails us out, and makes mistakes and let's in soft shots to offset the very isolated occasions he makes an unexpected save.

You know what you are getting with him. Average. The fact its taken this long to even get in some realistic competition is crazy. He'll be a fine back up but still not sure about Karius either.

Spurs has shown what a very good goalkeeper and goalscorer can do for your team, it can spur a good side to being a very good side (not a dig).

Its a very important role thats been neglected for too long, but at the same time not Mignolets fault. Same can be said for LB, has been a poor area for us for a while and the player currently playing there is not up to scratch. At some point management need to be accountable for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Does anyone think our Defence will improve or will we see more of the same. We have started our last two games with average/poor LB, 4th choice CB, possibly 3rd choice CB and a possibly 2nd choice Keeper.

I am fairly confident we'll improve when Sakho comes back, not sure on Matip but would be seen as an improvement on Klaven and with Karius coming back, although Mig has been ok the last 2 he still conceded 5 goals, not blaming him of course.

Yesterdays game still grating..................I am a bit disappointed with Klopps in game management, yesterday was a prime example, no change until 60+ mins, but it happens a lot.

i would like us to purchase better CB's - taller lads that can score from headers, i would like to see us buying a couple of CM's that are tall and can score headers... in tight games when teams are parking the bus this is our downfall, there's no other way of scoring...

we are a very soft team, there's no one there just to take a yellow... Burnley's two goals should not have been allowed, if we are so light at the back - then just take the yellow please... same for one or two of Arsenals goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Here's a cheery thought to brighten up your Sunday.

Sadio Mané is going to the ACON in January with Senegal.

I'll be in the suicide booth.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If the club is bought by the Chinese I hope I have the courage of my convictions to stop supporting it.
    Whoring your club out to launder the reputation of human-rights abusing scumbags isn't covered by "You'll Never Walk Alone".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.

Gbear wrote: »
    If the club is bought by the Chinese I hope I have the courage of my convictions to stop supporting it.
    Whoring your club out to launder the reputation of human-rights abusing scumbags isn't covered by "You'll Never Walk Alone".

I think I would have a huge problem with that as well. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Be interesting to see what level of discord there would be among season ticket holders if it came to pass - of course if they bought a minority stake most would shrug I suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

You should then probably smash the screen of the device you're reading this one, burn the clothes off your back, and take a hammer to most things in your house, because you're supporting this regime by every Chinese manufactured purchase you make.

Not trying to personally have a go at you, but just pointing out the total inconsistency of taking such a stance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I would be doing whatever is required to get Joe Hart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Haven't read through the match thread nor this one, but I noticed something that I'm sure others have in the past two games... Dejan Lovren turning his back on two shots that ultimately went in. While I'm sure he doesn't want to get hit in his pretty face, if he kept his eye on the ball he might've had a chance to block both.

I know many do the same, but its really quite an annoying trait for a defender to turn his back like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Any more news on the chinese buying a part of the club ? Exciting times ahead. Heard rumours that they would build a brand new training facility and academy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Be interesting to see what level of discord there would be among season ticket holders if it came to pass - of course if they bought a minority stake most would shrug I suspect.

Shrug they would, they support the club and morally speaking the matchday local fans are the owners of the club. Besides, if you were to take the high moral ground for every decision you make regarding China, you wouldn't buy any electronics item or consume any media owned by China etc. And it's not as if all other super-powers are squeeky clean on human rights issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

ricero wrote: »
    Any more news on the chinese buying a part of the club ? Exciting times ahead. Heard rumours that they would build a brand new training facility and academy

FSG have hired an investment bank to advise on the possible sale of a sizeable stake in the club to a Chinese consortium, the consortium is structured as a partnership between Everbright, a Chinese state-owned financial conglomerate, and PCP Capital Partners. That's all that is available.

• Advertisement

ebbsy wrote: »

Swap one error prone keeper for another? Nah,you're grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I read on twitter that they're a great bunch of lads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

ebbsy wrote: »

He's Head and Shoulders a better keeper.

FSG have made the club financially attractive, they could probably sell 25% share for what they bought the club for.

They get their investment back and have control and 75% of what they bought.

The Chinese folk want a steady, low risk ROI. You have to pay for that & they're attempting to buy in at peak value post latest Sky deal..... not the brightest TBH but FSG would be mad not to attempt to pull off off a deal that's very favourable to them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Their entire country is owned by chinese, russians and gulf states at this stage. A minority will make a load of noise; but they'd do that no matter what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,482 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I can imagine everything you wear ,everything in your home is made by those same '' scumbags''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nothing really new or groundbreaking in The Times here's the behind the paywall article by Jonathan Northcroft on the rumored Chinese bid
    Liverpool are the target of an £800m takeover bid backed by the Chinese government that has the potential to make them the richest club in the Premier League. China Everbright, a state-backed financial giant, is spearheading the attempt to buy the Anfield club from current owners Fenway Sports Group (FSG) but the bulk of the money is expected to come from the China Investment Corporation (CIC), the country’s main sovereign wealth fund, whose assets are put at about £620bn.

Should the bid succeed it would give Liverpool backers with a financial clout exceeding even that of Manchester City’s owner, Sheikh Mansour, and open the possibility of transfer spending to match City and Manchester United. One well-placed source cautioned, however, that there is still plenty work to be done to finalise any deal.

Involved with the Chinese bid is Amanda Staveley, the leading City dealmaker who helped broker Sheikh Mansour’s £210m purchase of Manchester City in 2008.

It is understood talks with representatives for FSG and the Chinese group are ongoing and that under the current plan Liverpool would be taken over by a new ownership group of which Everbright, potentially Staveley herself, and John Henry, Liverpool’s current principal owner, would be part.
    Henry may even retain a majority stake, with the Chinese becoming minority partners. With financial terms being thrashed out, talks could extend into September. It is far from the first time Liverpool have been targeted by Chinese investors.

In July, a flamboyant Chinese trader and art collector, Liu Yiqian, made an unsuccessful approach to FSG. Then, FSG’s stance was that they did not want to sell and that having tied Jurgen Klopp to a new six-year contract and revamped Anfield, increasing the stadium’s capacity to 54,000, they were merely at the start of unlocking Liverpool’s potential.

On Friday, Tom Werner, the Liverpool chairman and second most important shareholder after Henry, said the club was “not for sale” though he admitted that FSG are open to the idea of selling a stake.

Having bought Liverpool for £300m in 2010, FSG have invested significantly in players yet found themselves unable to get near to matching the fees and wages being offered by the Manchester clubs, Chelsea and some of Europe’s giants — and, indeed, they lost out on a main transfer target to China when Jiangsu Suning gazumped them for the Brazilian Alex Teixeira in January.

While Manchester United broke the world transfer record for Paul Pogba this summer and Manchester City exceded even United’s spending with a flurry of transfers worth about £152m, Klopp has been balancing his books.

Liverpool spent £30m on Sadio Mane and £23m on Georginio Wijnaldum but recouped most of the club’s total summer outlay through the transfers of Joe Allen, Jordon Ibe and Christian Benteke. Although Anfield’s expansion will net the club an extra £25m per season, it seems unlikely that would be enough to allow Klopp to be able to compete for players with his main Premier League rivals without his club receiving major fresh investment.
    Yesterday, Liverpool lost 2-0 at newly promoted Burnley despite having 80% of the possession. Manchester City are top after beating Stoke 4-1.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/liverpool-hit-jackpot-after-800m-china-bid-c3qh3zgg0

There is parking the bus and there is digging foundations pouring concrete and submerging the bus in it. Burnley will do what they did to us to every team that goes there, and they will have some success.
    This is why premier league is great. I don't want to go to places like Burnley and win 5 nil week in week out. City , United , Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs will all lose games to teams down the bottom.
    90% possession. People can talk of Mane, but what exactly could he have done when Burnley were in their own box for 90% of the time.
    What we needed was a determined Lovern to rise at back post like he did in Europa League. He tends not to bother in league games. The determination and intent in Europa League was there to see, he was going to win that ball full stop ! We need him to step up in league with 5 plus goals to get us out of trouble too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

watching yesterday i got that 'nothings changed' feeling. same problems,same attitude by the players against a smaller team. disgusted is putting it lightly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Nothing really new or groundbreaking in The Times here's the behind the paywall article by Jonathan Northcroft on the rumored Chinese bid

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/liverpool-hit-jackpot-after-800m-china-bid-c3qh3zgg0

Well The Great Bunch of Lads have just bought Milan for around £600-£800 million as well.

They are the new Russians and Arabs - with even more of them willing to buy football clubs than the other two put together.

I hope we see can mane and origi come back into the starting 11 as soon as possible. Pace power and energy which we really lacked yesterday

Well The Great Bunch of Lads have just bought Milan for around 600- 800 million as well.

They are the new Russians and Arabs - with even more of them willing to buy football clubs than the other two put together.

My only fear of a chinese takeover is that we would have some egomaniac mad man at the helm like that fella at cardiff city. Lets be honest it be exciting to see the club have the financial muscle to compete with the big boys

What would it be like to be richest team in league. To be able to buy the best and pay the most. I'm so used to hating teams like that, I would rather be us.
    Not as if we can't compete. Untied have two dinosaurs as strikers. Our squad is great at the minute. I'm not panicking after yesterday.

There is parking the bus and there is digging foundations pouring concrete and submerging the bus in it. Burnley will do what they did to us to every team that goes there, and they will have some success.
    This is why premier league is great. I don't want to go to places like Burnley and win 5 nil week in week out. City , United , Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs will all lose games to teams down the bottom.
    90% possession. People can talk of Mane, but what exactly could he have done when Burnley were in their own box for 90% of the time.
    What we needed was a determined Lovern to rise at back post like he did in Europa League. He tends not to bother in league games. The determination and intent in Europa League was there to see, he was going to win that ball full stop ! We need him to step up in league with 5 plus goals to get us out of trouble too.

I'd be much happier if he'd stop being a bad defender first.

What would it be like to be richest team in league. To be able to buy the best and pay the most. I'm so used to hating teams like that, I would rather be us.
    Not as if we can't compete. Untied have two dinosaurs as strikers. Our squad is great at the minute. I'm not panicking after yesterday.

Would you say no to the Swedish dinosaur? I wouldn't.

• Advertisement

Staveley_228x348.jpg

Amanda can negotiate with me all night if she wants.

Really hope fsg take the offer because if not us it will be some other club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

If it a wins a league I don't care where the money comes from. Everyone else is at it. Why not liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Make no mistake the Chinese see us as an investment nothing more, who's to say they would plow money into the club if they took over?
    I'd say they will do enough to see our value as a club rise modestly, which is where we are now with FSG.
    Yes FSG did'nt buy the club because they are religious LFC supporters either, but at least they have bought into the history of our club, they get it, and they have history of investing is sports franchises/clubs and returning them to the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Thinking out loud and lots of if's and but's

You could look at this summer as some sort of balancing of the books by FSG.

If they were to sell 49% of the club that they value at £800m to the Chinese that would see them make back the money they invested in the club including the new stand and still see them as majority owners going forward with the Chinese ready to invest huge money on the playing side.

If that became successful in the coming years FSG could sell out the other 51% at huge profits.

• Advertisement

We already can spend 100m on a player. We choose not to.

We already can spend 100m on a player. We choose not to.

Nonsense no we cant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

100m players are a stupid concept unless it's Suarez basically.

Thank god Burton Albion is on Tuesday.

Nonsense no we cant

But can spend 400m on bench warmers.
    We spend more on multiply young players, while another approach would be to buy 4 100m pound players.
    We choose not to. We have spent huge money over last few years.
    We can waste 25m multiple times on players like Balotelli but can't afford 100m player? It's just our approach, we have the money and I understand the concept, and why we don't buy the proven player over the young player with potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

My only fear of a chinese takeover is that we would have some egomaniac mad man at the helm like that fella at cardiff city. Lets be honest it be exciting to see the club have the financial muscle to compete with the big boys

I prefer FSG

I'd be willing to show Amanda my facts, if she shows me her figure.
    No harm in listening to what she has to say.
    If Chinese want 30% for 1 billion then that's fine with me as long as FSG are in control.

J Mysterio wrote: »

I prefer FSG

But you have seen the other side of the grass yet. Dont get me wrong i appreciate all fsg have done but id love to see them sell a large stake and invest the cash in the transfer market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Grown Irish men have their weekend ruined when an English soccer team lose? Bizarre carry on.

Anyway, is Can injured? He has to be the main man in midfield if the club are to have any joy this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

But you have seen the other side of the grass yet. Dont get me wrong i appreciate all fsg have done but id love to see them sell a large stake and invest the cash in the transfer market

If FSG sell a stake they will certainly not reinvest that money into the squad.

emmetkenny wrote: »

If FSG sell a stake they will certainly not reinvest that money into the squad.

I would imagine the chinese lads would provide the cash for that

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement