Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Vanolder wrote: »

Anyway, is Can injured? He has to be the main man in midfield if the club are to have any joy this season.

No but as he came back late for pre-season he is being re-introduced carefully as is Klopps want. Hopefully he'll play a decent part of the League Cup game along with Grujic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

daRobot wrote: »
    You should then probably smash the screen of the device you're reading this one, burn the clothes off your back, and take a hammer to most things in your house, because you're supporting this regime by every Chinese manufactured purchase you make.

Not trying to personally have a go at you, but just pointing out the total inconsistency of taking such a stance.

Probably not. It's made in Korea.

Most of my clothes seem to be made in the Indian subcontinet.

But I take your point.
    Or I would if we were talking about a Chinese company.
    We're not. We're talking about the investment arm of the Chinese government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Proper reds then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ricero wrote: »
    I would imagine the chinese lads would provide the cash for that

Yes but that's not what you said originally. The way you phrased it was the Chinese would buy a stake from FSG and FSG would invest that money into the team.

I like FSG and they saved the club from the complete mismanagement of Hicks and Gillette and I think they have been great owners for Liverpool and I would like to see them retain some control if they do sell a stake.

We have to be honest but it would be nice to know that we could compete with City, Chelsea and United financially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Vanolder wrote: »
    Grown Irish men have their weekend ruined when an English soccer team lose? Bizarre carry on.

Anyway, is Can injured? He has to be the main man in midfield if the club are to have any joy this season.

Yes that's just life. Who are these men that are not grown yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Gbear wrote: »
    Probably not. It's made in Korea.

Most of my clothes seem to be made in the Indian subcontinet.

But I take your point.
    Or I would if we were talking about a Chinese company.
    We're not. We're talking about the investment arm of the Chinese government.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_China

It would be little better than laundering smuggled oil money for ISIS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

corwill wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_China

It would be little better than laundering smuggled oil money for ISIS.

Wha?

Did FSG do that? Bastards! I knew it!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Gbear wrote: »
    Wha?

Did FSG do that?

Linda Pizzuti manages that side of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just because we need a bit of cheering up.

It's the gloves that make them.

PA-12008446-1.jpg
    tumblr_lbj3ecjHL41qc04c7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

We already can spend 100m on a player. We choose not to.
    That's funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There is parking the bus and there is digging foundations pouring concrete and submerging the bus in it. Burnley will do what they did to us to every team that goes there, and they will have some success.
    This is why premier league is great. I don't want to go to places like Burnley and win 5 nil week in week out. City , United , Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs will all lose games to teams down the bottom.
    90% possession. People can talk of Mane, but what exactly could he have done when Burnley were in their own box for 90% of the time.
    What we needed was a determined Lovern to rise at back post like he did in Europa League. He tends not to bother in league games. The determination and intent in Europa League was there to see, he was going to win that ball full stop ! We need him to step up in league with 5 plus goals to get us out of trouble too.

Well Burnley will be like 80% of teams coming to Anfield so it isn't very encouraging in that respect. Dependent on a mistake or a moment of genius from Coutinho or Sturridge. Mane should make a difference but it's only one player, so we'll see.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

emmetkenny wrote: »
    If FSG sell a stake they will certainly not reinvest that money into the squad.

Probably not but it would help with the stadium costs as well.

I'm just not convinced by the sustainability of these Chinese groups if China goes into recession.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Nothing really new or groundbreaking in The Times here's the behind the paywall article by Jonathan Northcroft on the rumored Chinese bid

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/liverpool-hit-jackpot-after-800m-china-bid-c3qh3zgg0

"Involved with the Chinese bid is Amanda Staveley, the leading City dealmaker who helped broker Sheikh Mansour’s £210m purchase of Manchester City in 2008."

I am nearly certain that she was involved in attempted takeovers of the club from the Middle East 7/8 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I am nearly certain that she was involved in attempted takeovers of the club from the Middle East 7/8 years ago.

yeah, she worked on the DIC bid. The same pictures of her kept getting throw up back then too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

PA-12008446-1.jpg

Shes a bit Catherine Zeta Jonesy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

K-9 wrote: »
    I'm just not convinced by the sustainability of these Chinese groups if China goes into recession.

That's the reason chinese billionaires are buying western clubs in the first place.
    It protects their money.

Buying a western club is an excellent way of getting money out of the country without raising the ire of the communist party.
    No one becomes a billionaire there without some sort of patronage, but if the fall on someones bad side they can end up jailed or worse for "corruption".

Remember when China went through its financial blip earlier in the year, the government were quick to put in controls to inhibit capital flight.

well, just "invest" in a club and you have the same result.

Quite smart really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

That's the reason chinese billionaires are buying western clubs in the first place.
    It protects their money.

Buying a western club is an excellent way of getting money out of the country without raising the ire of the communist party.
    No one becomes a billionaire there without some sort of patronage, but if the fall on someones bad side they can end up jailed or worse for "corruption".

Remember when China went through its financial blip earlier in the year, the government were quick to put in controls to inhibit capital flight.

Quite smart really.

Which is all very well while it lasts. China is heading for a massive blip and this type of investment will be squeezed as soon as that happens. But lets enjoy the bloody ride and see what happens anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Brian Kerr on Ragnar Klavan.
    He actually played against the Faroes when I was with the Faroes, and I remember studying him before the matches and thinking he was a bit of a weak link. I never thought he was a fellow that would be playing for Liverpool in the Premier League.

We got three goals against him with the Faroes, and we'd a load of part-time lads. A load of lads working in the fishing industry and so on. They were good enough to expose him.
    But turns out that Klavan didn't actually play in that game as corrected by a member of the Estonian FA.

http://www.balls.ie/football/ragnar-klavan/343603

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Just noticed Skrtel has been removed from those Nivea adds some members of the team did.

To be fair I'd say Klavan isn't expected to be a starting CB for us. Decent back up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Man City sold 13% to Shy Knees last year.
    I did not know that, they got 300m or so.

Augeo wrote: »
    To be fair I'd say Klavan isn't expected to be a starting CB for us. Decent back up.

It's one game that ball to Clyne was smart pass. It was Clyne that messed up. That second goal was down to a real lack of protection for both him and Lovern. We were all out attack, no one back.

Who hands are those.
    That picture is a bit of an optional delusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Who hands are those.
    That picture is a bit of an optional delusion

So you can decide to be deluded or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Man City sold 13% to Shy Knees last year.
    I did not know that, they got 300m or so.

That was a percentage of the entire City Football Group portfolio - so City, NYFC and Melbourne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Still a bit grumpy after yesterday. Im not a fan of playing so badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

It protects their money.

Quite smart really.

In this instance, the link is with the Chinese Investment Corporation, the Chinese state's equivalent of the NTMA, or the NPRF.

Which is worse, imho. Billionaires are less likely to have harvested organs from enthusiasts of tai chi and meditation in their thousands, for instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just saw lloyd Jones got man of the match for Swindon yesterday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

mikeym wrote: »

When you see it like that he needs a kick up the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Quite a few fans are questioning Henderson and where he should play. The fact he is captain is protecting his position as first pick. But, the Burnley game was one game and the whole team was rubbish. Not right to single out one player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

In regards to Henderson, he is only good when he has a leader like Gerrard beside him. He's a follower not a leader, and the fact he is our captain is a joke. Lots of people are writing him off but he was brilliant in the season we blew the title. I would love to see a quality DM come in who can lead the team and take over the captaincy.

Holy **** the amount of posters in here that used to blame gerrard for hendersons poor performances was unreal
    If given a choice I would still have gerrard playing ahead of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

**** FSG. Six years of rhetoric. They are weak. They can't / won't compete with the elite. I would welcome new owners.

Just in case!
    67446781.jpg
    kent-brockman-china.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I had almost forgotten how crappy a defeat can make you feel. It actually buggers up the entire weekend. As if it wasn't bad enough that I'm hungover.

Luckily I'm working and missed the game so my emotions regarding the game was limited to a wry chuckle at hearing the full time score and stats and thinking to myself, oh so typical.

Still, it's nice to see Kloppo honouring the clubs long running tradition of losing to a promoted team the week after beating Arsenal at their place. Respect!. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Monstrous...

29035158352_3a8fc6cb2e_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Glico Man wrote: »
    Monstrous...

29035158352_3a8fc6cb2e_b.jpg

We need some bigger trees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Also found these today, look pretty cool.

29140683915_0ea41f412a_z.jpg
    28521910513_f4cdf02b3a_z.jpg
    28521913243_2e35b6d7d6_z.jpg
    29140687015_b02121d04b_z.jpg
    28518789084_2fa42fa124_z.jpg

Getting Christ the Redeemer/Angel of the North vibe from that pic of the stadium.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    **** FSG. Six years of rhetoric. They are weak. They can't / won't compete with the elite. I would welcome new owners.

Nonsense.

FSG have saved the club from Hicks and Gillet.
    They have installed Klopp as manager.
    They have bought him the players he wants.
    They have redeveloped Anfield (**** Stanley Park)
    They have form (Boston Red Sox)
    They have class.

Im very happy with FSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The new stand should be called The Kenny Dalglish Stand. There's been no better servant to the club than the great man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

He was brutal, I hate him in centre midfield, but honestly, you could make a video like that for every player on Saturday.

The new stand should be called The Kenny Dalglish Stand. There's been no better servant to the club than the great man.

The new stand should be called after whoever gives the most money ,best thing for the club going forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Vicxas wrote: »
    Still a bit grumpy after yesterday. Im not a fan of playing so badly.

I drank enough that I ended up in Coppers.

sword1 wrote: »
    The new stand should be called after whoever gives the most money ,best thing for the club going forward

Jesus christ. The Nivea Stand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Why do you even bother with this thread?

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Jesus christ.

How much is he paying

Knex. wrote: »
    I drank enough that I ended up in Coppers.

Nobody deserves that kind of punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Why do you even bother with this thread?

I saw his quote as tongue in cheek. Wouldn't get concerned about it at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

sword1 wrote: »
    How much is he paying

It would be worth it, think of the jersey sales, apparently he has a lot of fans.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement