Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

sword1 wrote: »
    The new stand should be called after whoever gives the most money ,best thing for the club going forward

The People's Republic of China Stand has a nice ring to it alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Damien360 wrote: »
    I saw his quote as tongue in cheek. Wouldn't get concerned about it at all.

Its not.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Ryan Kent vs Danny Ward (Huddersfield 2-1 Barnsley) yesterday....

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/7yij.mp4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

At least Conor cheered me up last night after a bad day at the office for us yesterday...

Went designed driver to a mates bday session, had one bottle of beer last night and feel like death warmed up today, some buzz...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/767478105434980352
    Privately Liverpool insist their business is done but perhaps Klopp could make one final foray. #lfc (Dominic King)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Damien360 wrote: »
    Quite a few fans are questioning Henderson and where he should play. The fact he is captain is protecting his position as first pick. But, the Burnley game was one game and the whole team was rubbish. Not right to single out one player.

Listened to Giles and he isn't a fan of DM's, Lucas in particular and he probably shares similar views to Klopp. A good CM should be able to defend and contribute defencively, Kante the best example. Lucas was developing that side of his game pre his injuries but unfortunately we never got to see him develop properly.

Can could become that type of player, I, don't think Henderson can, he's an AM or needs somebody who is good at the defencive side beside him.

In summary, we've a very unbalanced midfield and nothing has been done to address it based on what we've seen so far.

Just on the Chinese, yeah I'd take the investment and probably get used to it but there's something soulless about becoming a City or what United have become, there's no romance to winning by spending the most because winning leagues is the expected standard.

Leicester is the obvious example but we aren't paupers either. We've spent plenty it's just we've too many Benteke and Carrol's or overspend on Lallana etc.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

K-9 wrote: »
    Listened to Giles and he isn't a fan of DM's, Lucas in particular and he probably shares similar views to Klopp. A good CM should be able to defend and contribute defencively, Kante the best example. Lucas was developing that side of his game pre his injuries but unfortunately we never got to see him develop properly.

Can could become that type of player, I, don't think Henderson can, he's an AM or needs somebody who is good at the defencive side beside him.

In summary, we've a very unbalanced midfield and nothing has been done to address it based on what we've seen so far.

Just on the Chinese, yeah I'd take the investment and probably get used to it but there's something soulless about becoming a City or what United have become, there's no romance to winning by spending the most because winning leagues is the expected standard.

Leicester is the obvious example but we aren't paupers either. We've spent plenty it's just we've too many Benteke and Carrol's or overspend on Lallana etc.

Can is the future of our central midfield and the sooner the better, longterm Henderson and milners days are numbered. The Chinese are a section of the government and i would see a very different situation than a city/Chelsea and i would hope it doesn't happen ,we basically got our money back for benteke, between loan fees ,Transfer fees got a good bit back for Carroll .lallana is still a 20 million+ player. If you are looking for bad transfers there are worse ,balotelli for starters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Can is the future of our central midfield and the sooner the better, longterm Henderson and milners days are numbered. The Chinese are a section of the government and i would see a very different situation than a city/Chelsea and i would hope it doesn't happen ,we basically got our money back for benteke, between loan fees ,Transfer fees got a good bit back for Carroll .lallana is still a 20 million+ player. If you are looking for bad transfers there are worse ,balotelli for starters

I wish that I shared this remarkable optimism about Can. On his day he's a very talented footballer but I'm certain that isn't going to plug the enormous gaps in our midfield. I don't think that's his best position.
    Looks like we're gonna go through until January at least with what we have, which won't be strong enough.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Nonsense.

FSG have saved the club from Hicks and Gillet.
    They have installed Klopp as manager.
    They have bought him the players he wants.
    They have redeveloped Anfield (**** Stanley Park)
    They have form (Boston Red Sox)
    They have class.

Im very happy with FSG.

Lloyd is getting the proposed Chinese investors confused with the weight lifting "lady" he posted a video of. Love is a strong emotion.

mosstin wrote: »
    I wish that I shared this remarkable optimism about Can. On his day he's a very talented footballer but I'm certain that isn't going to plug the enormous gaps in our midfield. I don't think that's his best position.
    Looks like we're gonna go through until January at least with what we have, which won't be strong enough.

To be fair what's required is someone better than Henderson, Milner & Can to play in a midfield 2 with Can. Wijnaldum might be the closest we have.

Can won't plug the gaps himself but he's quite capable and looks good enough to be able to contribute what's required in a midfield 2 or 3.

• Advertisement

I accept some transfers just don't work out, we seem to very good at providing examples.

Just on Benteke, since when did paying wages get factored into transfer deals? Did we say Torres didn't really go for £50 Million, no we didn't. We didn't say 50 less 10 million wages or whatever. People should be consistent or else it's just spining the deal to look much better than it was. I mean what taking wages out of it mean? Paying wages is an optional extra or something?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

While it may be necessary to compete in the market in the future, I think a little piece of me would die if we accept investment from the Chinese.

We would be accepting money to legitimise the PR of a questionable organisation and become their plaything.

It would be so, so far from Shankleys vision that my involvement with the club would have to be lessened.

While it may be necessary to compete in the market in the future, I think a little piece of me would die if we accept investment from the Chinese.

We would be accepting money to legitimise the PR of a questionable organisation and become their plaything.

It would be so, so far from Shankleys vision that my involvement with the club would have to be lessened.

There isn't a billionaire in the world who hasn't made that fortune without human rights abuses somewhere along the line, be that the Saudis, Chinese etc.
    I have no problem in saying that I'd hate us to accept money from this particular bid but I'm pretty certain that with the way football is going, the majority of fans want on that gravy train regardless of where the money comes from.

Augeo wrote: »
    To be fair what's required is someone better than Henderson, Milner & Can to play in a midfield 2 with Can. Wijnaldum might be the closest we have.

Can won't plug the gaps himself but he's quite capable and looks good enough to be able to contribute what's required in a midfield 2 or 3.

My point is that we do not have at the club the type of player we need, regardless of how we play on any given day. Henderson, Wijnaldum, Can, Milner etc, none of them can dictate the play. None of them have the game intelligence - Can is young, to be fair - to slow the game down, knit the play together, pick up the scrappy ball in the middle of the pitch.
    It sticks out that we're lacking this type of player every bit as much as we are lacking a decent LB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

I accept some transfers just don't work out, we seem to very good at providing examples.

Just on Benteke, since when did paying wages get factored into transfer deals? Did we say Torres didn't really go for £50 Million, no we didn't. We didn't say 50 less 10 million wages or whatever. People should be consistent or else it's just spining the deal to look much better than it was. I mean what taking wages out of it mean? Paying wages is an optional extra or something?
    Not sure what you are referring to, presume it is the loan fee for Carroll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Nonsense.

FSG have saved the club from Hicks and Gillet.
    They have installed Klopp as manager.
    They have bought him the players he wants.
    They have redeveloped Anfield (**** Stanley Park)
    They have form (Boston Red Sox)
    They have class.

Im very happy with FSG.

Like everyone else, I was delighted with them when they took over. But I think people are far too caught up in preference for white English speaking owners. Once your club isn't collectively owned or family owned going back decades all that matters is whether they are competent and have the fire power required. FSG are financially prudent and mostly competent. It's not enough.

The real fear I have is that Klopp might fail. And then reality will set in. For if a manager of his calibre can't do it maybe it can't be done. We're nowhere near that point yet of course, but a summer of relatively pedestrian transfer activity doesn't help. Are they the players Klopp wants or the players he wants within the context of a FSG owned Liverpool?

Bottom line is I make no moral distinction between WASP American venture capitalist owners and the Chinese State. Whichever has more finance and is the more willing to splash it around is my preference.

Why do you even bother with this thread?

I have as much right to the thread as you or anyone else. It's not an echo chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I have as much right to the thread as you or anyone else. It's not an echo chamber.

It's not a what? It's not a what? It's not a what? It's not a what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Knex. wrote: »
    I drank enough that I ended up in Coppers.

Woah hang on there! We'd have to lose 5-0 at home to the Mancs to warrant that sort of punishment! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Wow, one loss and we turn on each other pretty badly.

We all need to group hug it out.

Not sure what you are referring to, presume it is the loan fee for Carroll

There was chat about Benteke's wages before.

My point is that we do not have at the club the type of player we need, regardless of how we play on any given day. Henderson, Wijnaldum, Can, Milner etc, none of them can dictate the play. None of them have the game intelligence - Can is young, to be fair - to slow the game down, knit the play together, pick up the scrappy ball in the middle of the pitch.
    It sticks out that we're lacking this type of player every bit as much as we are lacking a decent LB.

I know, I was agreeing with you........."To be fair what's required is someone better than Henderson, Milner & Can to play in a midfield 2 with Can"

The real fear I have is that Klopp might fail. .............

Since he came in many in here seem to be thinking we don't have one of the Top4 squads or starting 11s therefore 5th/6th is par.

Under FSG ownership and their spending style what do you reckon failure for Klopp is over the next 4/5 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

watching yesterday i got that 'nothings changed' feeling. same problems,same attitude by the players against a smaller team. disgusted is putting it lightly.

+1

Losing and then getting a paycheck. That's us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

ebbsy wrote: »
    +1

Losing and then getting a paycheck. That's us.

I didnt get a paycheck :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Thats the last thing we wanted saturday...

We've done well against the bigger teams under Klopp. We've had the same old failings tho when it comes to the weaker ones. The whole concept is that we attack and defend as a team. The problem is the players aren't doing it properly. That being said it was a stupid mistake that lead to their first goal, these things happen. How many times does Voakes take that shot on and sky it... if he could do that every time he'd be playing at a bigger club. The cbs should have closed him down quicker but a cdm wouldn't have done much. Nothing that Hendo couldn't have done anyway.

We won't be signing at cdm and i'm glad we won't. We don't need one. We just need the players to execute better and to be braver in possession. The last thing we need is someone to sit there and pass the ball 5 yards to the cbs or other midfielders every game. We could just play Lucas if thats whats needed. We have good passers of the ball we just need them to be braver.

Bad days happen, such is football. The less fancied teams always take points off the rest to some degree, Saturday it happened to us.

If we beat or draw with Spurs we have 6 or 4 pts from the first 3 games and are back on track with the 6 and ish with the 4.

We should really wait until the end of the transfer window to really worry about LB. I was a firm believer in us needing a very good or better CM to come in and unless Wijnaldum or Grujic are to be that than it was clear some weeks ago we wouldn't be getting one so I'm happy enough to have accepted that and see what Klopp has planned.

With Milner, Can, Grujic, Lucas & Wijnaldum coupled with Lallana, Coutinho, Mane & Ojo we can if necessary go to a traditional 4 man midfield and two strikers. I don't think Klopp fancies that but it's an option especially since Mane arrived.

I would be concerned if he reckons LB is covered with Moreno, Milner and maybe Gomez after Smith was sold and Flannagan loaned out. To me that'd be fairly grim, you'd hope it would work out of course but you'd be very surprised if come Christmas we weren't looking for a LB.

That considered maybe we have to wait for 2017/2018 for things to gel, for the new lads to find their feet, so be it, that's football.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

massive overreaction to the defeat. Id wait 6-8 games before worrying or getting excited about how the season is going to pan out. Newly promoted teams regularly get unexpected wins early in the season. Burnley have now conceded 2 goals at turf moor in their last 6 games against the teams Id consider top 6. Drew 0 0 with utd and spurs, lost 1 0 to arsenal and liverpool, beat city 1 0 and now beat liverpool 2 0. Its not the easiest place to get a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Bottom line is I make no moral distinction between WASP American venture capitalist owners and the Chinese State. Whichever has more finance and is the more willing to splash it around is my preference.

Is there anywhere you believe the line should be drawn in terms of who's money you'd be satisfied to see the club take?

PRC govt is where I'd draw the line, but I understand that others feel differently.

Pyjamarama wrote: »

We've done well against the bigger teams under Klopp. We've had the same old failings tho when it comes to the weaker ones. The whole concept is that we attack and defend as a team. The problem is the players aren't doing it properly. That being said it was a stupid mistake that lead to their first goal, these things happen. How many times does Voakes take that shot on and sky it... if he could do that every time he'd be playing at a bigger club. The cbs should have closed him down quicker but a cdm wouldn't have done much. Nothing that Hendo couldn't have done anyway.

We won't be signing at cdm and i'm glad we won't. We don't need one. We just need the players to execute better and to be braver in possession. The last thing we need is someone to sit there and pass the ball 5 yards to the cbs or other midfielders every game. We could just play Lucas if thats whats needed. We have good passers of the ball we just need them to be braver.

Yet we seem to always get punished when we make mistakes. 5 shots on target, 5 goals.

• Advertisement

corwill wrote: »
    Is there anywhere you believe the line should be drawn in terms of who's money you'd be satisfied to see the club take?

PRC govt is where I'd draw the line, but I understand that others feel differently.

I'd be inclined too, being partly owned by a foreign state body gives me the shivers.

corwill wrote: »

Ideally football clubs would be collectively owned by fan bases and would attract a clean class of outside investor. But ultimately to win the CL you have to compete with the Chelsea's and Barcelona's of the world. All money is green at the end of the day. Ideally our owners would not be in danger of legal trouble that compromises the club. That's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    He's Head and Shoulders a better keeper.
    Still a bit flakey though.

It's not a what? It's not a what? It's not a what? It's not a what?

Should have changed the font sizes. Big font, smaller, smaller, smaller and again smaller with it tailing off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Yet we seem to always get punished when we make mistakes. 5 shots on target, 5 goals.

Just looked at this:

Arsenal 5 shots on target 3 goals (Win)
    Burnley 2 shots on target 2 goals (Loss)

Looking at last season:
    West Brom 1 shot on target 1 goal (Draw)
    Newcastle 3 shots on target 2 goals (Draw)
    Southampton 5 shots on target 3 goals (Loss)
    Sunderland 2 shots on target 2 goals (Draw)
    Man United 1 shot on target 1 goal (Loss)
    Arsenal 5 shots on target 3 goals :eek: (Draw)
    Norwich 5 shots on target 4 goals (Win)
    Watford 5 shots on target 3 goals (Loss)
    Newcastle 1 shot on target 1 goal (Loss)
    Crystal Palace 4 shots on target 2 goals (Loss)

The defence / goalkeeper appear to be repeating the same mistakes of last season.

Although its only 2 games of the new season played the trend is worryingly there from last season

dogbert27 wrote: »
    The defence / goalkeeper appear to be repeating the same mistakes of last season.

Although its only 2 games of the new season played the trend is worryingly there from last season

We'll need to see do things improve once Mig is benched, the goals conceded so far don't present a defense for him, they're not mistakes but he's letting in plenty, something wrong there & he's quite likely a major contributing factor.

Dropped for Jones.........

Should we shake up the defense for Spurs? Matip should be fit now surely but maybe not a great game to introduce him to the PL.

At a bit of a crossroads right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Ideally our owners would not be in danger of legal trouble that compromises the club.

Do you not think the club could be compromised by trouble other than in the narrow legal sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

We'll need to see do things improve once Mig is benched, the goals conceded so far don't present a defense for him, they're not mistakes but he's letting in plenty, something wrong there & he's quite likely a major contributing factor.

Dropped for Jones.........

I guess the fear is that he's not dropped! For a keeper of his age and experience he should be commanding the box more.

To be still making the mistakes that he does would not put confidence in the defence.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Still a bit flakey though.

Should have changed the font sizes. Big font, smaller, smaller, smaller and again smaller with it tailing off.

Well, excuse me Mr. 'I would have done better!'

It's not a what? It's not a what? It's not a what? It's not a wh......?

Well, excuse me Mr. 'I would have done better!'

It's not a what? It's not a what? It's not a what? It's not a wh......?

that's more like it

• Advertisement

I feel like I've achieved something today now :D

I feel like I've achieved something today now :D

Go back to bed now before you ruin your day.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Go back to bed now before you ruin your day.

I wish I could, have to work now til 6

Pyjamarama wrote: »

Completely wrong there IMO. You're underestimating or just not getting the idea of the type of player we need. Not one single player on our books can do what we need, someone who can link up defence and attack, sniff out danger before it arises, get into the right positions and be comfortable on the ball.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I guess the fear is that he's not dropped! For a keeper of his age and experience he should be commanding the box more.

To be still making the mistakes that he does would not put confidence in the defence.

I reckon Karius is most definitely going to get games as soon as he's considered fit by Klopp :)
    Completely wrong there IMO. You're underestimating or just not getting the idea of the type of player we need. Not one single player on our books can do what we need, someone who can link up defence and attack, sniff out danger before it arises, get into the right positions and be comfortable on the ball.

That accepted, I think it's fair to assume Klopp has a gameplan for this season using the players that are there. An element of wait and see is required imo.

We got to the EL final last season and we got 2nd in PL 2013/2014 without the player you describe :)

I reckon Karius is most definitely going to get games as soon as he's considered fit by Klopp :)

That accepted, I think it's fair to assume Klopp has a gameplan for this season using the players that are there. An element of wait and see is required imo.

We got to the EL final last season and we got 2nd in PL 2013/2014 without the player you describe :)

I'm sure he has a gameplan also but the reason I've reacted badly to the Burnley defeat is because it was the exact same dispiriting performance we'd seen on countless occasions last season in the league. I thought that over the summer we'd address both the CM and LB areas and we haven't. And in our first two games of the season, both positions are exposed.
    I've seen a few here allude to an overreaction to one defeat but maybe, like me, we're annoyed that we seem to be trying the same thing expecting different results. People can spin it whatever way they want to, Burnley won pretty easily on Saturday. That's a worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Vicxas wrote: »
    Wow, one loss and we turn on each other pretty badly.

We all need to group hug it out.

I think the manner of the loss is the problem. A 1-nil win or a nil-nil draw is what was need after the Arsenal game.

Conceding 5 goals in two games is something that should be discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

This is Heavy Metal Football is it not? .... although the album is more The Eagles than AC/DC at the moment. Few good songs followed by a LOT of filler.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    This is Heavy Metal Football is it not? .... although the album is more The Eagles than AC/DC at the moment. Few good songs followed by a LOT of filler.

Saturday was Jethro Tull backwards.

• Advertisement

I'm optimistic enough as we have so many formation & personnel options.

If LB isn't sorted Moreno as wing back in a 3 5 2 could work, 3 CBs wouldn't be too bad as Sakho can play ball. Very much worse case scenario having to switch to that but if LB isn't sorted/improved over the next 2 weeks and what you mention continues to happen than the last two transfer windows should have indeed been more fruitful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement