Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Klaven v Barcelona, he is looking like a very good signing, no nonsense with a bit of skill too (see 34 seconds in)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

By Barcelona. Did you think we wouldn't concede any chances against 2 thirds of the best front 3 in football?

Of course we would concede chances. But the nature of the clear cut chances created concerned me. But if people want to be full on positive that is their choice. We find out what the story is soon, hopefully we'll bring the positives into the competitive matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I did think Wijnaldum looked a bit lost yesterday. But he has only just joined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Of course we would concede chances. But the nature of the clear cut chances created concerned me. But if people want to be full on positive that is their choice. We find out what the story is soon, hopefully we'll bring the positives into the competitive matches.

Where has anyone been "full on positive"? Even the most positive posters recognise we still have problems in certain areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Where has anyone been "full on positive"? Even the most positive posters recognise we still have problems in certain areas.

The fact of the matter is that whether or not people are nominally positive, most are, as far as I'm aware, predicting something around 5th or 6th and expect a challenge for 4th.

Not that we'll even get it. Just progress and a making a decent fist of it.

Mané could be brilliant, Grujic could come in and score 5 in our next 6 games, left back could be the least of our problems, and we could still lose every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's a pre season game, hard to read much into it either way.

Moreno will still be our LB and we've a few injuries at the back. I suspect we'll be dodgy at the back until we get settled.
    Mane seems to be settling in no bother so that's good, you can see he adds something different which is good considering I suspect we'll be in let's try and score more than them mode for a while.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Gbear wrote: »
    The fact of the matter is that whether or not people are nominally positive, most are, as far as I'm aware, predicting something around 5th or 6th and expect a challenge for 4th.

Not that we'll even get it. Just progress and a making a decent fist of it.

Mané could be brilliant, Grujic could come in and score 5 in our next 6 games, left back could be the least of our problems, and we could still lose every game.

4th is a minimum requirement. Im expecting a title challenge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Unless you shut down any ambition and play Chelsea-like against Barcelona, we will create chances regularly. Personally I thought taking Milner off solved a fair few defensive problems, he's definitely not a left back option for yous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

J Mysterio wrote: »
    4th is a minimum requirement. Im expecting a title challenge.

Then prepare to be disappointed......

NukaCola wrote: »
    Then prepare to be disappointed......

We'll see. Im optimistic. Lot of negative folk in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Sometimes though, they need reminding.

when you are dead you don't know you are dead. Same as being a Sun reading moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Where does this optimism stem from?

I think a genuine, real go at 4th is realistic. Anything after that is a bonus and depends on things outside our control. Being out of Europe is an advantage but Chelsea also have that and Jose might not take the Europa very seriously at all, so that would be that advantage more or less nullified.

Who knows, maybe like us in 13/14 everything goes our way like Leicester last year.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Positive re-enforcement is one thing but optimism based on nothing simply perpetuates failure.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    I think a genuine, real go at 4th is realistic. Anything after that is a bonus and depends on things outside our control. Being out of Europe is an advantage but Chelsea also have that and Jose might not take the Europa very seriously at all, so that would be that advantage more or less nullified.

A bit of good fortune and lack of Europe could lead to a challenge for 4th alright. Expectation is probably top 6/7.
    Who knows, maybe like us in 13/14 everything goes our way like Leicester last year.

I suppose something random could happen given that it happened before.

I'm negative if I dont expect a title challenge?

Only 2/3 teams realistically challenge for a title, we are not in the bracket of teams to be expecting one IMO, even being very optimistic. Realistically we should be fighting for 4th, and that will be a big challenge for where we are right now.

RasTa wrote: »
    Where does this optimism stem from?

Hmm... From the philosophy that Klopp has instilled into the side? From the exciting attacking football we are playing? From the good strength in depth we currently have?

Some very exciting, dynamic players in attack:
    Sturridge/ Origi (Ings)
    Coutinho/ Firmino/ Mane (Markovic)

A really strong midfield:
    Wijnaldum/ Henderson/ Lallana/ Can (Grujic/ Stewart)

Good partnership in Klavan and Lovren in defence with Sakho and Matip to both come in. Clyne has RB nailed down and I expect a LB to be signed at least. Gomez to return.

We have a really good team, in good form, with a great manager - so im optimistic.

---

Of the other top teams, only Spurs, Leicester and Arsenal have any stability. Spurs will be strong. Leicester may find it difficult to replicate last season though will probably still do well. Arsenal have a stronger squad than last season but a lot of injuries to start with and havent solved defensive fragility.

Man U under Mourinho will take time and it remains to be seen how they will do. Throwing Pogba into midfield and Ibrahimovic up front wont make them a great team, though Ibrahimovic is fantastic to watch.

Chelsea look set to park the bus for the season and will take time under Conte.

As for City... Can Guardiola instill 'Tiki Taka' there? Will it take? Will it suit the Premier League? We just did a number on Barca yesterday with our new Kloppo style.

---

Therecs every reason to be excited and optimistic.

Ah Jaysus! top 6 or 7 should be a given, we had a Europa and LC final last year so extenuating circumstances.

True though, that's twice in 3 seasons unlikely events happened, add Spurs last season as well. It's the interesting thing about the season overall for me, do we get a repeat of last when all bests were off or back to the norm. I can see why somebody could build a case for City and United not automatically being title challengers if the rest of the league continues on like last season. But really, who the fcuk knows?

6th or 7th? I really think we have to have a genuine chance of 4th come May. If that means we end up there and get a Cup a long the way fair enough, but we were only 6 points of it last season and that was basically punting games at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Well I guess we have found out why Klopp would not speak to the rag if joe website is right

• Advertisement

If a title challenge is 'overly optimistic', expecting to finish 6th or 7th is ridiculously pessimistic.

Do we have a really strong midfield?

If Can keeps developing and Henderson recovers his form maybe but there a lot of questions about CM for me still to be answered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Well I guess we have found our why Klopp would not speak to the rag if joe website is right

On the website now don't see anything...

Edit: See it on balls.ie after a quick google. Gutter press at its worst which is obv no shock. Well done Jurgen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

It's 2016 and everything is ****ing ****. The climate,politics,****ing ISIS...everything.

And now we can't even enjoy beating Barcelona(friendly or not) 4-0 without everyone pissing on our ****ing cornflakes. What's the bloody point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I think we'll be pretty good this season. Klopp will have had a full pre-season with the squad and will basically have a full week to prepare for most league games. Think that will be a big advantage for us even though I'd prefer if we had European games. That said you'd expect Chelsea (with no European games either), United and City to all be better than last season. Arsenal and Spurs could go either way but not everyone can be better than last season. Some teams are going to under perform. Leicester probably prime candidates as there is only one way they can go after finishing top. I'd be pretty disappointed if we don't make a strong challenge for top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    On the website now don't see anything...

Edit: See it on balls.ie after a quick google. Gutter press at its worst which is obv no shock. Well done Jurgen.

Sorry seen it on fb it was on sports joe on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Wish we had a young Gerrard breaking into the team. We still lack the one person who can lift a team, like Suarez does, or Gerrard did. Who is that person in squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Surely we should be going into the season with the intention of winning it however realistic. Why not?

Imagine klopp saying at the start of season to players, "right Lads it's 6th or 7th again this yr cos there's only 2 or 3 teams that can challenge!". Wtf!

Surely Leicester story should prove that with the right mindest and organisation- it can be done.

Think big people!!!

If a title challenge is 'overly optimistic', expecting to finish 6th or 7th is ridiculously pessimistic.

I agree......I'll actually go into this season not expecting anything......more positive performances and exciting attacking play and I'll be happy enough....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool FC ✔
    @LFC

#LFC team to face @1FSVMainz05: Manninger, Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Wisdom, Moreno, Can, Grujic, Henderson, Lallana, Woodburn, Origi
    1:29 PM - 7 Aug 2016

Subs: Mignolet, Kelleher; Clyne, Randall, Lovren, Klavan, Maguire, Hart; Stewart, Brannagan, Wijnaldum, Coutinho, Marković, Mané; Firmino, Ings, T Gomes

• Advertisement

I agree......I'll actually go into this season not expecting anything......more positive performances and exciting attacking play and I'll be happy enough....

Im reaching for the stars!

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Surely we should be going into the season with the intention of winning it however realistic. Why not?

Imagine klopp saying at the start of season to players, "right Lads it's 6th or 7th again this yr cos there's only 2 or 3 teams that can challenge!". Wtf!

Surely Leicester story should prove that with the right mindest and organisation- it can be done.

Think big people!!!

But do you expect it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This place, really. At least be prepared for the possibility of a good season eh?!

You should set a standard of being number 1 and be disappointed with 2nd.

But do you expect it?

There is no expect , there is only intent

lol. Nice one Miyagi.

We are going round in circles because someone said they expect a title challenge.

This is not the eighties and we are not the best team in the league

Ignore the top in the sentence why don't you.

• Advertisement

This place, really. At least be prepared for the possibility of a good season eh?!

Absolutely not...... :pac:

We are going round in circles because someone said they expect a title challenge.

I said we should go into the season with the intention of winning it.

I concur. Lets win the shìt out of it.

I know, I wasn't referring to you.

What you said was accurate "Surely we should be going into the season with the intention of winning it however realistic. Why not?"

But someone was expecting a title challenge, two different things entirely. Is it realistic to expect a title challenge regardless of the intent?

Yes but everything about the club should be aligned to that expectation.

You don't just set the expectation for 1st and then it just happens while you sit back and enjoy the ride. Virtually everything going on at the club needs to be best in class if you are to achieve it. The right staff, manager, players, facilities and whatever else.

Disappointment is pointless unless you can genuinely say that you set yourself up for the success that matches expectation. Otherwise, you are kidding yourself.

We have the right manager in Klopp. That is great start and with him around, I expect a minimum top 6 or 7 finish. I would like to see us still challenging for 4th post Christmas and you never know after that if things go in our favour.

After that, it will be how we perform in each game that I use as a gauge for progress.

Think big people!!!

There target was 40 points so...

• Advertisement

There target was 40 points so...

So what? Did they lie down and die once they reached 40 points? No they went and won the thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I feel 70 points is our target. If we can get high 60's I'll accept it. 4th usually happens around the 70 point mark but there is no shame in getting 70 points and missing out.

No point in saying 6th is a fail we we could finish 6th and only lose out to 4th because of goal difference

Mr.H wrote: »
    I feel 70 points is our target. If we can get high 60's I'll accept it. 4th usually happens around the 70 point mark but there is no shame in getting 70 points and missing out.

No point in saying 6th is a fail we we could finish 6th and only lose out to 4th because of goal difference

6th is a fail. Anything below 4th is an unsuccessfull season.

This is not the eighties and we are not the best team in the league

Can you imagine those words leaving a managers mouth in dressing room before a game. You should always expect and believe, it's the first step. Without it you will always fail.

Can you imagine those words leaving a managers mouth in dressing room before a game. You should always expect and believe, it's the first step. Without it you will always fail.

Am I Jurgen Klopp? I am merely giving my honest opinion.

I dont expect a title challenge, and IMO you are not being fair to the squad if you do expect it. We finished in the top 2, three times in 15/16 years, once in the last 7.....how can you honestly expect and believe a title challenge is possible.......its almost deluded.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement