Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Augeo wrote: »
    I'd say the Sakho loan stuff is rubbish

And even if it is true that he has been given the chance to go out on loan it doesn't necessarily mean he will take it.

He may well say no and stay and fight for his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

And even if it is true that he has been given the chance to go out on loan it doesn't necessarily mean he will take it.

He may well say no and stay and fight for his place.

I'd love to see Sakho and Matip in central. I reckon they could do really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

niallo27 wrote: »
    Yes that's just life. Who are these men that are not grown yet.

Plenty of them on this thread, it seems, mate. Their faculties are far from developed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I am perfectly fine with Sakho leaving, the most overrated player in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

As a non Liverpool fan I was a bit gutted when you guys signed Sakho. Always rated him as an excellent CB so shocked to see him struggle for game time under Rodgers and Klopp. There must be something from a personality/mentality point of view holding him back as he has all the attributes to be one of the best defenders in Europe.

There's seeming fitness and attitude/application issues since he signed but if he's loaned out he needs to be replaced. On the pitch he's good more often than not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Sakho must have done something to really piss off Klopp. Am I going mad or were Lovren and Sakho actually forming a really solid partnership before the ban last season?

Milner and Moreno as our left back options.
    Matip,Klavan and Lovren as or CB options.
    No real Defensive Mid outside of Can/Lucas

Christ!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

We also have Joe Gomez coming back eventually. Surely he would be a backup or replace Moreno with Clyne on the opposite side?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

We still have Andre Wisdom.

GBX wrote: »
    We also have Joe Gomez coming back eventually. Surely he would be a backup or replace Moreno with Clyne on the opposite side?

I think Gomez is potentially very good to great but eventually is the key word there and he's after a serious injury and a long lay off.
    I'd pencil him out of things for this season as a reliable/credible option.

I forgot about Wisdom, maybe Klopp sees him as an option, I thought Wisdom did good for us whenever he played :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I'd take the stuff about Klopp considering Lucas as an adequate centre half option with a very big pinch of salt. There's no way we're ridding ourselves of a first-team centre half and not looking for a replacement. Matip and Klavan were brought in to replace Toure and Skrtel, and there are huge question marks about Joe Gomez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yeah, lets ship Sakho out. Who knows, after leaving all our fullbacks go and refusing to bring in any new ones, maybe we're taking a homeopathic angle for our defence. The more diluted it is, the stronger we will be.

Galvanised.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    ........ Matip and Klavan were brought in to replace Toure and Skrtel.........

When you think of the gametime both Toure and Skrtel got last year it seems totally mad that LFC/Klopp are considering letting Sakho out on loan. We'd be a CB down on last year's numbers. And I agree with your Lucas at CB sentiment, doesn't cut the mustard imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    We still have Andre Wisdom.

So you're saying we have no option but to keep Sakho then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

joe123 wrote: »
    Christ!
    Would make a lethal strike partnership with Mane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Sakho seems to take 5 games of being absolutely useless to get back up to speed after an injury.

Given how much he is injured he spends an awful lot of time being ****e yet constantly gets excuses made for him.

I think he is a goof player when fully fit but Wouldn't care if he was moved on as long as an adequate replacement was made.

Sakho's status as a fan-favourite guaranteed starter who marshaled the defence and was seen as an ideal Klopp player is why you have to conclude that something has gone seriously wrong. There's no way Klopp would let a simple mentality issue determine the future of a player of Sakho's ability and standing. Whatever happened, Klopp considers the situation completely irredeemable. And I don't believe for a second that this proposed loan is a genuine attempt to get his head straight or to frighten him out of whatever slump he's in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

If Sakho is finished at the club then grand, but in that case, sell him and buy someone else. Don't rely on Lucas ******* Leiva as a CB. Some very strange decision making at the club at the moment. It's a little concerning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Any other reputable

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Any other reputable sources confirming it?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Any other reputable sources confirming it?

I think all of the usual journos were briefed. The Guardian, the Telegraph, and the Echo all had it.

He's true to his word anyway Klopp. Anyone not in the first team plans is shipped out to get football and come back up to speed. Sakho hasn't played since last April ... and as many of us on here have pointed out, its takes him quite a few games to get match fit. If he's not in the first team plans thats grand, if he wants him to gain match fitness thats grand too. Send him out till Christmas, see how he's getting on... them recall him if needs be.

I dont mind sakho leaving i'm more concerned with having moreno or milner at left back!

I dont mind sakho leaving i'm more concerned with having moreno or milner at left back!

If two of Matip, Lovren & Klavan get injured or suspended we could see Moreno or Milner at CB :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

We could play the tea lady and kit man at centre back and probably not concede more than we generally have anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

We'll probably plod along with huge wins against big teams and frustrating losses against smaller ones and finish around 6th. I think the first two games really foreshadow the way the season will pan out.

Things could change. We might start defending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If Sakho has burnt his bridges is Lovren, Matip, Klavan and Gomez, when fit that bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I've no problem with Sakho being shipped out, tbh I've no problem with any current player being moved on cos, at the end of the day, we have turned into just an average Premier League Club.

I think last Saturday broke my heart, it was like a realisation of what we are for me, a real watershed moment. We'll probably finish 7th or 8th, there will be some good results along the way but, equally, there will be just as many games like last Saturday.

We watch the big clubs splash the cash on big talents, we buy our players from Southampton and Newcastle. When was the last time you got really excited about a signing? For me, it was probably Suarez and I didn't even realise he would turn out as good as he did.

I'd love to think Klopp can turn this around and get us into Top 4 but I fear this is even a job he can't manage. Watching Liverpool last Saturday made my piss boil. About halfway thru the second half I sat on my couch and thought to myself, "Jordan Henderson is our club captain....Jordan f*cking Henderson"....and I've not got anything against him, he always gives of his best but he is probably the worst club captain I've seen at the club.

Souness
    Hansen
    Whelan
    Rush
    Barnes
    Ince
    Fowler/Redknapp
    Hyypia
    Gerrard
    Henderson

He sticks out like a sore thumb on that list.

2 games into the season and I'm deflated already! So I don't care who gets moved on cos, imo, the squad we have at the moment is pretty damn poor!

5starpool wrote: »
    We could play the tea lady and kit man at centre back and probably not concede more than we generally have anyhow.

Sakho and Lovren looked decent, but that's about it really.

murpho999 wrote: »
    If Sakho has burnt his bridges is Lovren, Matip, Klavan and Gomez, when fit that bad?

3 are new (I'm counting Gomez because of the injury) and Lucas wasn't tested properly.

kfallon wrote: »
    I've no problem with Sakho being shipped out, tbh I've no problem with any current player being moved on cos, at the end of the day, we have turned into just an average Premier League Club.

I think last Saturday broke my heart, it was like a realisation of what we are for me, a real watershed moment. We'll probably finish 7th or 8th, there will be some good results along the way but, equally, there will be just as many games like last Saturday.

We watch the big clubs splash the cash on big talents, we buy our players from Southampton and Newcastle. When was the last time you got really excited about a signing? For me, it was probably Suarez and I didn't even realise he would turn out as good as he did.

I'd love to think Klopp can turn this around and get us into Top 4 but I fear this is even a job he can't manage. Watching Liverpool last Saturday made my piss boil. About halfway thru the second half I sat on my couch and thought to myself, "Jordan Henderson is our club captain....Jordan f*cking Henderson"....and I've not got anything against him, he always gives of his best but he is probably the worst club captain I've seen at the club.

Souness
    Hansen
    Whelan
    Rush
    Barnes
    Ince
    Fowler/Redknapp
    Hyypia
    Gerrard
    Henderson

He sticks out like a sore thumb on that list.

2 games into the season and I'm deflated already! So I don't care who gets moved on cos, imo, the squad we have at the moment is pretty damn poor!

As much as the win over Arsenal did not mean we're world beaters, then last Saturday's defeat does not make us mediocre.

This squad is a work in progress and it will develop. I definitely think we'll be challenging for Top 4 which I would be happy with in Klopp's first full season that is part of a long term project now.

• Advertisement

As much as the win over Arsenal did not mean we're world beaters, then last Saturday's defeat does not make us mediocre.

I agree with that but it probably means we are somewhere in the middle, average enough!

Lovren - Has had more bad games than good
    Matip - Yet to make a competitive appearance
    Klavan - 2 competitive appearances, conceded 5 goals incl 2 against Burnley that he was at fault for directly.
    Gomez - 'When fit' is the question alright.

The only consistently good defender we have is Nathaniel Clyne, and our backup for him is a practically untested 18-year old 17 year old child named Trent, or Andre Wisdom.

Considering the window closes next week and our defensive issues were blatantly obvious last season, it's fair to say the club has fukced up a crucial transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

There's rumours going around that Moyes turned down a loan move for Sakho.

Sweet jesus if true.

Lovren - Has had more bad games than good
    Matip - Yet to make a competitive appearance
    Klavan - 2 competitive appearances, conceded 5 goals incl 2 against Burnley that he was at fault for directly.
    Gomez - 'When fit' is the question alright.

The only consistently good defender we have is Nathaniel Clyne, and our backup for him is a practically untested 18-year old 17 year old child named Trent, or Andre Wisdom.

Considering the window closes next week and our defensive issues were blatantly obvious last season, it's fair to say the club has fukced up a crucial transfer window.

Your judgements are being made far too early.

2 games into the season is not enough to declare a transfer window a success or not.

I agree with that but it probably means we are somewhere in the middle, average enough!

I think we're better than that. Time will tell.

BTW, I do agree with you about Henderson, he should not be captain.

Don't know who should though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Lovren isn't anywhere near good enough and Gomez is coming off a serious ACL rupture. Klavan is a decent squad player andd Matip is unproven. I wouldn't want to have that 4 as my CB options for the season!

BTW, I do agree with you about Henderson, he should not be captain.

Don't know who should though.

That's exactly how I felt the other day. "Henderson shouldn't be captain"....and then I had no idea who should be!!!

When is Matip back? I'd like to see him and Lovren try strike up a partnership.

Huh ? Dont think Klavan has been at fault for any goals this season. In fact I've been well impressed with him. If anything its the back four getting no cover from midfield thats killing us. The same as last year, any time a team runs at us from midfield we seem to crumble.

Huh ? Dont think Klavan has been at fault for any goals this season. In fact I've been well impressed with him. If anything its the back four getting no cover from midfield thats killing us. The same as last year, any time a team runs at us from midfield we seem to crumble.

For a big unit he was weak as piss for that tackle on the half way line for Gray's goal!

He contributed to the first with a terrible ball out to Clyne (tho Clyne takes most of the responsibility for his awful pass to Henderson)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭doc_17

We've been a work in progress for 5 of the past 6 seasons. Our transfer policy will mean that it will continue that way. Best we can hope for is a run at top 4 which has a 50/50 chance at best. If not, it'll be another summer of building. If we did get top 4 we'd need an unbelievable window of signing players to cope with the demands.

The clubs transfer policy, whilst fiscally sound, doesn't leave us with a chance to compete at the real top level for the players that we need. We needed the type of window United had, buying 4 starters who were way above what was there. We maybe bought 1. The first 2 games are likely to be a good indicator of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭doc_17

For a big unit he was weak as piss for that tackle on the half way line for Gray's goal!

He contributed to the first with a terrible ball out to Clyne (tho Clyne takes most of the responsibility for his awful pass to Henderson)

I think he was also a bit slow to move back into the middle after passing it to Clyne and as a result left a huge gap in there.

He got unlucky with that tackle, there's not much you can do about a ricochet. Plus he cant go all in cos all he has is Lovern behind him. If he lunges in all or nothing and loses its 3 v 1. When sturridge lost the ball and they broke we had 3 players behind the ball. Three !! Henderson, Klavan and Lovren. From a breaking ball on the edge of their box! ...thats crazy defending from the team. Milner jogging back doesnt cover and coutinho, i think it was, gives up tracking in midfield. In no way is Klavan directly responsible for it. very harsh.

Your judgements are being made far too early.

2 games into the season is not enough to declare a transfer window a success or not.

It's not enough to judge 3* of our 4 central defenders, either, yet some think we'll be fine without Sakho. Karius coming in has a few people optimistic too, but he's also yet to play for us competitively, and I'd wager very few of them have actually seen him play.

There's quite a few people who assumed Coutinho's performance against Arsenal meant this was the season where he pushes on and becomes more consistent, but of course when you make that assumption after 1 game, you're setting yourself up for a fall.

Some have even written that they think the likes of Ilori or Markovic just need to be given matches to prove themselves, apparently based on the assumption that playing for Liverpool they'll do better than they did on loan, or are somehow deserving of a chance to play some real games regardless of everything Klopp sees them do in training.

Point is, it's too early to judge anything, but so far there's little to be optimistic about, especially regarding the massive defensive issues we had last season.

*Still considering Gomez as new (as per K-9) due to so few appearances

...... imo, the squad we have at the moment is pretty damn poor!

I think the squad isn't bad at all to be fair but overstacked in attack and not enough strength in depth at the back.

Even with a few injuries we could field a credible attack, we can't field a credible defence at the moment imo.

The issue is we've been finishing 5th/6th or worse because we are under achieving, the worry for me is the spending power the West Ham's etc of this world now have. West Ham are trying to sign Bony from Man City, they mightn't get him but they're having a go. We sold Benteke and are seemingly banking the cash.

If we don't improve on last season's 8th place finish I'll be very concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Well if anyone thinks the Sakho loan rumour is "strange", this is even more bizarre:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-37166383

WTF? Something very creepy about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Henderson got back to Gray only to sstick out a leg like some ballerina in some vain attempt to stop him. Roy Keane would have took him out and took his yellow.
    You need to help your defence not blame them, he is as much to blame for that second goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Well if anyone thinks the Sakho loan rumour is "strange", this is even more bizarre:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-37166383

WTF? Something very creepy about that.

First Tupac and now Shanks....

We'll bring him back from the dead and sack Klopp in another few years... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

He made no attempt to block the shot for Burnley's 1st just shied away from it, and he should have done better for their second.
    You can't just give up defending because you did'nt make the initial mistake.

He made no attempt to block the shot for Burnley's 1st just shied away from it, and he should have done better for their second.
    You can't just give up defending because you did'nt make the initial mistake.

We'll agree to disagree. He moves over for the first goal when clyne gives the ball away and doesnt have time to get a block in. There's no shying away imo, if you watch the replays he stands his ground and faces it. There's not a whole lot more he could have done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

So does everyone think we are done in the transfer market ?

I still have a little hope that we will see at least one more addition to the squad but after klopp's comments yesterday i reckon its false hope

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement