Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I mean we get drawn into massive micro level arguments on a per player basis regarding our transfer strategy under FSG but is there really any Macro level positive argument to he had anymore? We overspend on mid level players constantly; we have very high turnover on £15m+ signings and the squad always seems unbalanced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Any team news yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Here is me thinking before a ball is kicked after our 1st two games we would be on 3 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Sheeeeit wrote: »
    Jesus Christ!
    sword1 wrote: »
    Keep hearing about him on the thread but have to admit i haven't seen him play ,whats his best position

He has a bit of a cult following alright. Seems to be pretty good at executing the "hand of god". However, he is not great at crosses, his season only ever seems to start at Christmas and he goes missing after Easter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

#LFC team to face @burtonalbionfc: Mignolet, Clyne, Lovren, Matip, Milner, Henderson, Can, Lallana, Firmino, Mane, Origi #BAFCvLFC

#LFC substitutes: Manninger, Klavan, Moreno, Stewart, Wijnaldum, Ings, Sturridge #BAFCvLFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Someone gonna do the match thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Stronger team than I expected. Might be trying to rectify for last weekend. Mane straight back into the team is definitely unexpected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Delighted with that team. Now go out there and give them a hiding. Its been too long since we've done that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

JESUS that's a strong team.

I did want to see the others get a run out but we need to sort out our first 11 and how they play together as a matter of urgency.

With Can, Mane and Origi in there I have absolutely no qualms about it. If we could guarantee this team would play every week I'd be a paid up member of the Liverpool title winning delusion squad.
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Hard to disagree to be honest...If you look at our peak midfield during Rafa's days, Can is the only one that might get into the squad, never mind the team.

[...]

Any of those guys I would be happy to have as backup, but Can is the only one I look at and think "there's an LFC starter". With so many question marks, i'd much rather we had 2 solid definite starters who you know can get shit done.

I don't really think this makes a ton of sense when we had the same inconsistencies under Rafa.
    Granated, we werent' conceding as many, but 0-0's are nearly as bad as losses when you've aspirations towards the upper end of the table.
    Pyjamarama wrote: »
    There's loads of hysteria. People are saying if we don't buy x we won't finish top 4.
    There've been loads of people saying that for weeks though.
    The Burnley just pissed people off enough to say it some more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Is it on the telly box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Is it on the telly box?

Sky Sports 1, KO at 19.45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Gbear wrote: »
    I don't really think this makes a ton of sense when we had the same inconsistencies under Rafa.
    Granated, we werent' conceding as many, but 0-0's are nearly as bad as losses when you've aspirations towards the upper end of the table.

How so? I was talking about our centre midfield, and how Can is the only one of our midfielders that would stand a chance at getting into Rafa's centre midfield squad. What doesn't make sense about that? We had a much better centre mid under Rafa than we do now, that is pretty much inarguable. Alonso, Mascherano, Gerrard, Sissoko (pre-eye problem).

Rafa's team had issues elsewhere, mostly in the support attacking positions. The spine through the middle was as strong as i've ever seen, but we had no quality either side of the striker. Which is why we didn't score as many goals as we could have. But that centre midfield had all the strength, solidity, and creativity that you could ever want. On the other hand, any 2 of Lallana, Coutinho, Firmino or Mane could perhaps get into Rafa's starting 11 either side of Gerrard in Attacking mid, but as I said, I was talking about centre midfield, because there's where we're looking unbalanced right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

How so? I was talking about our centre midfield, and how Can is the only one of our midfielders that would stand a chance at getting into Rafa's centre midfield squad. What doesn't make sense about that? We had a much better centre mid under Rafa than we do now, that is pretty much inarguable. Alonso, Mascherano, Gerrard, Sissoko (pre-eye problem).

Rafa's team had issues elsewhere, mostly in the support attacking positions. The spine through the middle was as strong as i've ever seen, but we had no quality either side of the striker. Which is why we didn't score as many goals as we could have. But that centre midfield had all the strength, solidity, and creativity that you could ever want. On the other hand, any 2 of Lallana, Coutinho, Firmino or Mane could perhaps get into Rafa's starting 11 either side of Gerrard in Attacking mid, but as I said, I was talking about centre midfield, because there's where we're looking unbalanced right now.

The thing is outside of Pogba would any other cm in the league get into that Liverpool team? It was legit the best midfield in the whole world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What team needs more than a LB or CM and even a new Captain is a dirty nasty bastard with a bite in a tackle.

Actually that would be the ideal new CM Captain.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    The thing is outside of Pogba would any other cm in the league get into that Liverpool team? It was legit the best midfield in the whole world.

I'm pointing out how far we've fallen in midfield in 7 years. Particularly when you look at balance. Rafa knew that you build a team through its spine, but that's where we look most unstable right now. We have no idea what our first choice CB pairing is, and no idea what our first choice midfield pairing should be.

Our attack is potentially great, but without that structure behind them, we're always going to look in danger. I would really like if we had a single centre midfielder that we could rely on to sniff out danger and stop opposition attacks. But the closest we have are two guys in Lucas and Stewart that a) are far off the standard we want, and b) don't play anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

He has a bit of a cult following alright. Seems to be pretty good at executing the "hand of god". However, he is not great at crosses, his season only ever seems to start at Christmas and he goes missing after Easter...

Definitely Captain material

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Nigel Clough 'a bit wary of Liverpool after their defeat by Burnley, particularly by the manner of the defeat'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

What team needs more than a LB or CM and even a new Captain is a dirty nasty bastard with a bite in a tackle.

Actually that would be the ideal new CM Captain.

Get Gary Medel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Great to have Can back.

Also Matip looks like an actual giant.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Get Gary Medel.

Would be very happy with him to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The most frustrating part is that we're actually really close! A good quality left back, and a nailed on starter in CM to partner Can, and we'd be there I think.

We are certainly close to being expected to compete for the top 4. But I think it will take quite the bit of investment to expect to genuinely compete for 1st.
    Christ what i'd give for a quick cheeky move for Mascherano.

I would absolutely love this myself.

Jeyyyysus Lovren! Of all the people to be shooting from there, he's the last one i want doing it.

We missed mane

Lovren having a poor game at both ends.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    We missed mane

To be honest Origi adds a whole extra dimension as well. I do really like Sturridge, but Origi makes us a better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Lovren having a poor game at both ends.

Ah come on, there's only been 9 minutes played.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Nigel Clough 'a bit wary of Liverpool after their defeat by Burnley, particularly by the manner of the defeat'.

Well it could be a good game for Liverpool with another team playing same as Burnley

Mane is the complete antithesis to Lallana and I love it

Would be very happy with him to be honest.

I'd say we'd need to get used to playing with ten men, but sure we have Alberto already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I mean we get drawn into massive micro level arguments on a per player basis regarding our transfer strategy under FSG but is there really any Macro level positive argument to he had anyone? We overspend on mid level players constantly; we have very high turnover on £15m+ signings and the squad always seemed unbalanced.

I mentioned this before a while back and got shot down.

FSG got constant praise for saving the club, when the truth is that they got a great asset and trademark at a knockdown price and is now worth a lot more and will bring them a lot of profit.
    Look at the money now that's being mentioned, £800m for a part share. That's a great return on a £300m investment.

Whilst they have been a safe pair of hands, they have not brought a winning methodology to the club. Transfer committees, sell to buy, loan deals, transfer targets falling through because of low ball bids have cost the club dearly and as a result we have won just one trophy in the last 6 years.

How people deem this a successful ownership is beyond me.

Best thing they have done is getting Klopp but how long will he hang around if he can't bring success.

• Advertisement

all caught on their heels there

Divock (i think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mane looks sheer class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Nice from Mané

Good stuff, good quick dynamic build up.

Can already see Mane and Origi combining very well pretty often. Both always moving for each other, giving options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

That drop of the shoulder and burst of speed from Mane... Missed that big time at Burnley.

Great from Mane, just glides past the defenders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Burton look completely disinterested here.

Have to say whenever I watch Championship games I always find the commentators easy to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Mane is ****ing unreal.

He was a buy I was unsure about and all of a sudden he's almost our best player?

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Whilst they have been a safe pair of hands, they have not brought a winning methodology to the club. Transfer committees, sell to buy, loan deals, transfer targets falling through because of low ball bids have cost the club dearly and as a result we have won just one trophy in the last 6 years.

To be fair, they've run the club exactly how a club should be run, self sustaining and responsible. Just because much of the top tier of world football is funded by insanity doesn't make it the right way to run a business.

As for success, in those 6 years we may only have won 1 trophy, but we've had our best league season in 2 decades, and been in 4 finals and secured one of the worlds top managers. Given the strength of the competition, that's not bad tbh.

Smashing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

All over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Nice one!

What a header

Great goal, good quick awareness by all three of Mane, Clyne, and (as ever) Firmino.

• Advertisement

Great initiative from Mane again there, immediately looking forward when he gets the ball. A rare great cross from Clyne too.

Hopefully a few more will get a goal and come into a bit of form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

This well could be the starting 11 for spurs away unless phil comes in for someone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

This well could be the starting 11 for spurs away unless phil comes in for someone

i think Clyne looks much better when he has a partner ahead of himself that he clicks with...many of his best performances actually came with Ibe sharing the wing imo. Mane adds everything Ibe did and much more, and the bit of freedom he causes with his threat of pace opens up a lot of space for Clyne. Ibe and Mane are both good for looking to keep it wide, encouraging the overlap too, where many of the other faux-wingers we've used have already moved the ball inside before Clyne can get involved.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement