Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

sword1 wrote: »
    Thread might quieten down for the rest of the week ,some of the negative Nellie's will be waiting for the next bad result, put down those keyboards!!!

I'm a Panicky Pete tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Mane's jib, i like the cut of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

martyos121 wrote: »
    Mane of the Match for sure.

Yep. Mane is the main man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Peter Crouch got a hat-trick for Stoke tonight! Thought that was worth mentioning, always liked him at Liverpool, such a skillful lad for his height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Peter Crouch got a hat-trick for Stoke tonight! Thought that was worth mentioning, always liked him at Liverpool, such a skillful lad for his height.

Would you even go so far as to say he'd great feet for a big man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

We are gonna get top 4 again now are we,or maybe even win the lge,klopp is a great man again,no goals concealed,he must have sorted our defence since sat

Great touch for a big man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Concerned about Henderson. It looks like he's re-learning football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Jesus... people complain about how we can't beat teams who sit back and defend. A team tries that and we tonk them and you won't give them any credit...

Burton were poor but we made them poor. We were great. The difference in the movement of the front 3 with Mane out there. When you have someone who can beat a man so easily it creates space for everyone. Fingers crossed he stays fit cause if he does he'll be some signing.
    What a performance, we smashed them up, league title surely in the bag now.

Am I doing it right now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Really liked the Mane Sturridge link up, start of big things hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'm sure most of us will remember his hat-trick against Arsenal (including an awkward bicycle kick) then gets dropped for the next game.

Decisions like that use to drive me nuts.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

shamrock55 wrote: »
    We are gonna get top 4 again now are we,or maybe even win the lge,klopp is a great man again,no goals concealed,he must have sorted our defence since sat

We'll probably win the league and Champions League as well this season, and win the World Cup next season.

At least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why would you, as a fan care if the club is self sufficient? What does it matter?
    I cared more about success at any cost when I was a bit younger, but as I've gotten older i've taken more interest in the actual running of the club. The intelligent growth of the club is actually pretty interesting imo. I know I'm in a minority.
    What's wrong with having money. Do you think Utd, Chelsea or City fans lose sleep looking at their recent title wins due to having more money than other clubs.
    I'm supporting Liverpool since the 70's, when they were top dogs. They made top signings and spent the money. No fan was worried about being self sufficient.
    I don't have any problem with spending money, I wish we'd spend more money (which we have) all the time. And UTD are actually the perfect example of what we should be doing. They spent their money. We're one of the few clubs in the world with a brand big enough that we don't need some gigantic chinese investor to push us forward. And if they came, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they didn't spend much either, because they wouldn't need to.

You can make bank with LFC as a brand already with our worldwide recognition, whereas with someone like Man City, they needed to win first to bolster the brand. I'd rather we did it as close to on our own terms as is possible. Also, I'm just not that hung up on us being at the top of the world on the back of winning the owner lottery. Would much rather enjoy what success we get on our own terms. Again, I've no problem with other people feeling otherwise, it's just how I feel.
    Success was winning the league and winning in Europe. Finishing 2nd was an absolute disaster and not repeated as changes were made and money spent as required.
    Things change. *shrug*
    We're not entitled to anything we don't earn.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    WTF is up with Henderson?

Looking really average and with the skill of a Sunday league player.

Step up for Henderson so

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

What a performance, we smashed them up, league title surely in the bag now.

Am I doing it right now?

Ah god its no pleasing some people no that is not what he was saying and you know it. Celebrating a good preformance it not something to sneer at. Winning a game gives confidence and that can only be good. BUT HEY GO WITH YOU NEGATIVITY IF IT SUITS YOU. I SUPPOSE YOU CAN'T BE LET DOWN THEN. Hope you don't be like that is the rest of your life

• Advertisement

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Step up for Henderson so

Not a fan of the club captain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Would you even go so far as to say he'd great feet for a big man?

Wouldn't go that far now, that's really pushing the boat out.

In fact, I don't think you'll ever hear anyone saying that. Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think against teams that have a go we at least have the potential to blow them away. I don't see Spurs parking bus in box for 90 mins and hitting us for two cheap goals. I think they will go toe to toe with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Why would you, as a fan care if the club is self sufficient? What does it matter?

Clubs in League of Ireland or League 2 can be self sufficent, it does not mean they are successful.

What's wrong with having money. Do you think Utd, Chelsea or City fans lose sleep looking at their recent title wins due to having more money than other clubs.
    I'm supporting Liverpool since the 70's, when they were top dogs. They made top signings and spent the money. No fan was worried about being self sufficient.

Success was winning the league and winning in Europe. Finishing 2nd was an absolute disaster and not repeated as changes were made and money spent as required.

Now FSG have managed fans expectations so much that they have amazing convinced fans that one league cup win, unexpected league challenge and the signing of a good manager is a success. Bloody hell.

Well given Liverpool was nearlly made insolvent a few years ago never mind the money spent during Sounesses era I say a lot of fans worry about there clubs. I can name 3 of the top of my head Leeds, Pourtmouth and Bolton fans. I say they worries/worry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Gbear wrote: »
    Right, and that's well and good having those players but, for some reason, despite having those players, we had the same problems under Bentiez.
    1-11 we were better, so it wasn't quite as pronounced, and we were certainly a lot better at not getting beaten, but our biggest issue in games like Burnley is what's going on up front.

We had the midfield sown up pretty early doors and arguably had the best midfield in the league every season between 05-06 and 08-09.
    We only made headway with improvements in attacking positions.
    Even so, they were the likes of Riera, Babel and Benayoun. They did their bit but they weren't good enough to go the distance.

TL;DR. The midfield doesn't matter.

Well, no, I would say that you need both. We had the midfield under Rafa, but not the attack. We have the attack now, without the midfield.

Give that Rafa team Mane and Firmino either side of Torres and they win the league. Give that Rodgers team Mascherano and they win the league. Give us Rafa's midfield now, and we'd be 20 points a season better off straight away. Results like losing from being 2-0 up against Southampton just wouldn't happen. Hell, even if peak Sissoko alone was added to our team that day i reckon we'd have held our lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Always been a big fan of Henderson however he has been awful so far this season. Hopefully he just getting back up to speed after injury but he form is a major concern

I think against teams that have a go we at least have the potential to blow them away. I don't see Spurs parking bus in box for 90 mins and hitting us for two cheap goals. I think they will go toe to toe with us.

Spurs had a little blip towards the end of last season but they've kept an already good squad in tact and I they'll be a well organized side this season. I'd say definitely top four place for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Spurs had a little blip towards the end of last season but they've kept an already good squad in tact and I they'll be a well organized side this season. I'd say definitely top four place for them.

Spurs ALWAYS have a blip at the end of the season. It's written into their contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Always been a big fan of Henderson however he has been awful so far this season. Hopefully he just getting back up to speed after injury but he form is a major concern

Same here but he's shocking atm. Over hitting and under hitting passes constantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I know his form has been bad for a while now but i thought Hendo was ok tonight, nothing special but an improvement.

This stat sums up the game at the weekend anyhow.
    Liverpool shots in the box this season:
    Arsenal - 12 out of 16 in total
    Burnley - 9/26
    Burton - 12/15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Good performance that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Does this mean we're gonna win the league again? 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I doubt John Henry himself is making transfer decisions. But they are hiring people responsible for the strategy and ultimately sign off on budgeting. Two consistent things under FSG:

- the value of the club climbs
    - we do poorly in the transfer market
    In their defence the owners came into the club knowing next to nothing about the game. Where they messed up was appointing Dalglish and Rodgers as managers. Dalglish undermined Comolli's role which saw the end of the Director of Football role at the club. Rodgers did his best to undermine the transfer committee and his own choice of players failed to deliver. In this regard Klopp is a great appointment and a sign that the lessons have been learned.

Sturridge interview on LFCTV live "we...we....we......we....we.....we...... doesn't matter Spurs are a good side as we're a good side" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Klopp will be judged same as any other manager, if he thinks LB and CM is good enough that's his call, why, he's paid £8 Million a year, more than any player.

Next stage is acceptance, I see somebody making a case for Moreno when everybody wanted him gone after the Europa.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Augeo wrote: »
    Sturridge interview on LFCTV live "we...we....we......we....we.....we...... doesn't matter Spurs are a good side as we're a good side" :D

Practising his French, so he's clearly off to PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

K-9 wrote: »
    Klopp will be judged same as any other manager, if he thinks LB and CM is good enough that's his call, why, he's paid £8 Million a year, more than any player.

Next stage is acceptance, I see somebody making a case for Moreno when everybody wanted him gone after the Europa.
    I don't think Klopp believes Moreno is good enough. In July he said we would maybe sign one more defender. Klopp wants to sign the right player and not just a filler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I mentioned this before a while back and got shot down.

FSG got constant praise for saving the club, when the truth is that they got a great asset and trademark at a knockdown price and is now worth a lot more and will bring them a lot of profit.
    Look at the money now that's being mentioned, £800m for a part share. That's a great return on a £300m investment.

Whilst they have been a safe pair of hands, they have not brought a winning methodology to the club. Transfer committees, sell to buy, loan deals, transfer targets falling through because of low ball bids have cost the club dearly and as a result we have won just one trophy in the last 6 years.

How people deem this a successful ownership is beyond me.

Best thing they have done is getting Klopp but how long will he hang around if he can't bring success.

Clubs in League of Ireland or League 2 can be self sufficent, it does not mean they are successful.

Now FSG have managed fans expectations so much that they have amazing convinced fans that one league cup win, unexpected league challenge and the signing of a good manager is a success. Bloody hell.

Ok, let's pretend club bought for £800m, largely borrowed as the purchaser doesn't fancy tieing up there own money in the club and they are able to borrow as the club has healthy revenue streams.

They buy some players of the Pogba, Costa ilk...... £50m + signings and £200k/week wages. The club fails to qualify for the CL and the clubs earnings are eaten up by player wages & installments on the transfer fees and of course the owners pay their loan back using club income too.

Other clubs are either bankrolled by their owners or don't have to use some of their revenue pay back their purchase cost and also have less of a wage bill.... it transpires that we get outbid on our targets by the Spurs & West Hams of the league consistently so we end up with the 10th/12th best squad in the PL ...... we end up not performing to that level and finish 14th/15th in the league, European qualification becomes a distant dream.

K-9 wrote: »

You could make a case for him now, Babb is doing so now on LFC TV, he reckons Moreno v Walker be doable.

I know his form has been bad for a while now but i thought Hendo was ok tonight, nothing special but an improvement.

Quite a few times that he was unable to play a simple pass with the correct weight on it.
    Can also mopped up for him on more than one occasion , even though Henderson was first on the scene.

Vicxas wrote: »

He just got a face full of net.
    He went into the goal as one, I thought he might come out as six .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Any news on can ,is he injured or was it precaution

• Advertisement

Not a fan of the club captain?

Just don't think he is good enough tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

@murpho, everybody should care the club is self sufficient, otherwise Hicks, near administration, that stuff that happened 5 years ago.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

sword1 wrote: »
    Any news on can ,is he injured or was it precaution

It's the ankle he injured last season. Scan tomorrow you'd think. Doesn't sound good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Can injury is serious I would imagine they will go back in with a proper bid for Dahoud.

Anyways, what was that Lucas tweet to James Pearse about earlier? What was written about him?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

5starpool wrote: »
    Anyways, what was that Lucas tweet to James Pearse about earlier? What was written about him?

It was saying that Sahko is being pushed out and Lucas is staying...alluding to there only being one space at the club and Lucas is being preferred.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It was saying that Sahko is being pushed out and Lucas is staying...alluding to there only being one space at the club and Lucas is being preferred.

Hardly something Lucas should need to talk about in public is it? It's not like he is forcing Sakho out.

On that note, Klopp didn't deny it tonight anyhow, saying something like "I don't need to talk about this, it has been discussed with everyone important to this" or some such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

On Sakho isn't he still injury and in recovery mode and not due back till mid September after the transfer window closes.

It would be a big risk for any team to take an injured player even on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I for one would be extremely dissapointed were Sakho to be out the door. He's one of the best defenders we've had in a long time.

His slide tackling is excellent. His passing out of defence is crisp and precise. He has a good header on him, reads the game well and is very committed.

My basic feeling is that Klopp should use his management skills to straighten him up, get him playing well and get him in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

An improvement against Burton isn't much though is it? If he doesn't improve significantly I wonder will he be moved on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Would a Mane/Origi/Sturridge from three work? Danny boy has no pace but the others have loads so if he just stands in the right place hopefully the other can create space and passes for him to tap in.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement