Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

If Sturridge can stay fit, then he's out the door sooner rather than later. It's clear himself and Klopp have a poor relationship.

We have developed a habit of not retaining our best players so if Sturridge had a relatively injury free season or two I could easily see him leaving, more in the Suarez fashion than being pushed though, sadly.

But sure we'd have Origi anyway, be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just read the Sturridge comments and he didn't say anything wrong at all, the rest is all the journalist trying to make out that there is an issue.

I don't get the dislike for Sturridge in general and on this thread. Yes there have been injury issues but he's our most effective striker when fit.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't get the dislike for Sturridge in general and on this thread. ............

At least 3 or 4 posters exaggerate their dislike to get a reaction, the Mr G***** rubbish par example

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Gerrard got criticised years ago for the same type of comments when he was complaining about being played on the right under Rafa (which increased his goals and assists hugely) and then even when being played behind Torres. If he can get criticised for it, then so can Sturrudge. Some people might be using it to have a pop at him, others (like me) are saying that while the story is being a bit blown out of proportion, in public footballers should not say such things while they are at the club, or at least that is my view on things.

If I gave an interview and said I didn't like what I was being currently asked to do at work, then apart from the fact that no one would care because I'm a no one, it would be inappropriate and would lead anyone who did read it to say "well if you don't like it get a new job, otherwise shut up in public. Talk to your boss if you don't like it and want to change".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Paul Joyce saying that there is strong interest from Nice in Balotelli.... We would never get someone to take him... Would we?

That would be nice alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I think one of Klopp's big problems is his unwillingness to indulge ego's. I get the feeling that Sturridge was coming from an environment where Rodgers had his arm around him, telling him he was great, maybe overlooking his injury record because of his goal scoring record. Almost from day one though, Klopp came in, questioned his commitment and it seems their relationship hasn't really recovered since. I can't ever see the two seeing eye to eye.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

What's up with all the ocular pat downs?

1370990160942.png

If you read the full Sturridge thing, he's saying his prefered spot is up front, but he will play anywhere for the team. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Although, he did same the same at CFC before he left for Bolton.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Is there any links to watch the presser live at 10am?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Main Stand (big pic)

http://i.imgur.com/XqY0i93.jpg

Got my tickets up in the God view seats for Leicester

That picture just increased my excitement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I think one of Klopp's big problems is his unwillingness to indulge ego's. I get the feeling that Sturridge was coming from an environment where Rodgers had his arm around him, telling him he was great, maybe overlooking his injury record because of his goal scoring record. Almost from day one though, Klopp came in, questioned his commitment and it seems their relationship hasn't really recovered since. I can't ever see the two seeing eye to eye.
    Houllier did the same thing with Fowler, questioned his ability to stay fit and consistently put in the type of performances that he had heard so much about. Houllier said he wouldn't pick players based upon reputations otherwise the likes of Roger Hunt and Ian Rush would still be playing for the club. Instead of knuckling down and making the required effort Fowler bitched and moaned.

Sturridge may be the best finisher at the club but question marks remain about his fitness and his willingness to make an effort to run for a ball on the pitch. I would not be surprised if Sturridge became a 'super sub' under Klopp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Boom_Bap wrote: »

1370990160942.png

If you read the full Sturridge thing, he's saying his prefered spot is up front, but he will play anywhere for the team. I wouldn't read too much into it.

He said he wasn't happy playing out wide when directly asked about it, but you have to do a job for the team, 'that's football' etc. He was then asked why he looked to be sulking after scoring 2 on Tuesday and pointed out that that's just his demeanour when he scores and when he misses, and then pointed out that he was not making a complaint and will give his all wherever he's playing once he's on the pitch. Some of these quotes don't appear in the Guardian, but they are in the Mirror's article.

Talisman wrote: »
    Houllier ......... Fowler...........

Houllier & Fowler was a case of Houllier mismanaging the situation, Fowler was just a tad past being a goal every 2 games striker at the time with the benefit of hindsight but I very much doubt Houllier knew that.

Houllier quite simply wanted Owen & Heskey as his 2 starting strikers. The relationship or lack of it between himself and Fowler resulted in Fowler leaving the club.

I hope Sturridge and Klopp have no such relationship problems. Fair enough if Klopp uses Sturridge as a sub in most games and starts him in others on the wing but if that results in Sturridge leaving than it's not great management unless he's adequately replaced imo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

gafferino wrote: »
    Is there any links to watch the presser live at 10am?

Presser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Apparently there's finally a Sturridge song...

...And its to the tune of Crocodile Rock.

Yup.
    Daniellll Sturrridddggee, la-la-la-la-la-laaaaaa

You wait three years, and this is what they come up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Any thoughts or opinions on Manquillo please lads? He has joined us for the season on loan with the option to make it permanent next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Paully D wrote: »
    Any thoughts or opinions on Manquillo please lads? He has joined us for the season on loan with the option to make it permanent next summer.

Overwhelming meh.

Best of luck with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

What way is the team on screens at weekend if on screen at all?

Augeo wrote: »
    Houllier & Fowler was a case of Houllier mismanaging the situation, Fowler was just a tad past being a goal every 2 games striker at the time with the benefit of hindsight but I very much doubt Houllier knew that.
    Fowler's biggest problem was himself, he was never the same player when he came back from the ankle injury and his antics didn't help his situation either. I attended quite a few games at the start of the 2001/02 season and it was plain to see Fowler wasn't fit or particularly bothered.

The game against FC Haka he started with Heskey, the opposition seemed to be at his level and he scored the first goal in a 4-1 win.

A week later he started with Owen against Bolton. Sharing the pitch with Owen seemed to put his nose out of joint. There were a couple of times he could have played Owen through but instead opted to pass to Danny Murphy. Eventually he was replaced by Heskey who scored.

Two weeks later against Villa he started with Heskey and was completely uninterested. The only reason he stayed on the pitch for the full game was because Gerrard was sent off and we were chasing the game.

A couple of weeks later he started the game against Tottenham with Litmanen and he looked more like the Fowler of old. He was still unfit but it was clear to see that he was switched on - he fell over as a pass was played to him and instead of moaning as he did in the Bolton game he got up and fired a shot at goal.

Houllier criticised Fowler about his fitness levels, he wasn't wrong to do so. Fowler wasn't willing to change his life style to improve his fitness or accept the need for rotation and his career suffered for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Decent imo. Won't set the world alight but you'll get fairly consistent 6/10 performances from him.
    Put it this way, if he's cover or back-up then yer sorted. If he's your first choice regular starter then I'd say you could be aiming a bit higher.

Here's a link to a Marseille fan talking about him, he was with them last season. (he says solid if unspectacular, that's a good description imo)

http://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2016/8/25/12623476/getting-to-know-javi-manquillo-q-a-with-marseille-fan-mo-ali

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

He's shíte! Even Josemi was better!

Knex. wrote: »
    Apparently there's finally a Sturridge song...

...And its to the tune of Crocodile Rock.

Yup.

You wait three years, and this is what they come up with.

I think it was being sung during the cup game Tuesday.

Suppose it's fair to say it's not one of our better ones alright :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Ok as backup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

kfallon wrote: »
    He's shíte! Even Josemi was better!

Harsh, he was at least as good as Jan Kromkamp or Philipp Degen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

what_year_is_it.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think it was being sung during the cup game Tuesday.

Suppose it's fair to say it's not one of our better ones alright :D

Its better that repeating the word '' Liverpool'' over and over in a droopy voice. I hate that chant.
    Livvvvvvverpool
    Livvvvvvverpool
    I'm barely awake
    Livvvvvvvverpool
    Livvvvvvvvverpool
    Livvvvvvvvverpool
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Good song for Sturridge is Gloria Estefan's Dr Beat. Could sing it when he goes down injured

''Won't you help me Doctor Beat? / Doc, doc, doc, doc, Doctor Beat / Won't you help me Doctor Beat? / Doc, doc, doc, doc, Doctor Beat''

I can picture it now, the whole of Anfield singing it while Sturridge is down after a tackle.

He's better than some around here will give him credit for, he proved to be a consistent player in the short time he was in the team. Defensively he's far better than Moreno and his greatest weakness was his lack of strength.

Rodgers dropped him when he began the wingers (Ibe & Markovic) as wing backs experiment and his loan was terminated because he wasn't getting playing time.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    What way is the team on screens at weekend if on screen at all?
    It's on Sky Sports 1 at 12:30 on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I liked him! Thought he was underused, tbh. We moved to 3-5-2 and he wasn't really seen again. Had one poor performance, as young fullbacks do, and Rodgers underfire at the time seemingly decided he wasn't worth the risk.

He absolutely loves a tackle, in a similar mould to Flannagan. Thought he had a decent whip on his crosses too.

Not sure how he has developed since then, though.

I remember Manquillo being OK and recall plenty of people wondering why he wasn't being played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Boom_Bap wrote: »

1370990160942.png

That was because he was consistently played out of position at Chelsea.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Klopp has apparently confirmed there's nothing serious about Can's ankle injury, but because it's the ankle he injured last season he's not sure if he'll play on Saturday. Origi has cramp and is also a doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Slightly off topic folks,but can anyone recommend a nice hotel in Liverpool city centre that's close to bars for me and close to shops and other girlie things for herself,cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

K-9 wrote: »
    That was because he was consistently played out of position at Chelsea.

There is a difference between being played as a winger in a 4-4-2, and starting wide of a front 3 when all 3 are expected to swap positions...

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic folks,but can anyone recommend a nice hotel in Liverpool city centre that's close to bars for me and close to shops and other girlie things for herself,cheers

The Sir Thomas Hotel. Used to stay there all the time. Perfect location, reasonably priced and its a lovely hotel, good food.

Ticks all the boxes!

http://www.sirthomashotel.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Stayed at hotel indigo a few years ago ,no complaints

Hard Days Night is smack bang in the city centre so close to bars, restaurants etc. as well as Liverpool 1 for herself to go shopping

I stayed there a while back and definitely recommend it

I stayed in Premier Inn a few years back. Bog standard hotel, clean and decent location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Dickerty wrote: »
    There is a difference between being played as a winger in a 4-4-2, and starting wide of a front 3 when all 3 are expected to swap positions...

That wouldn't get in the way of a pouty flounce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Thanks for hotel recommendations lads I'll look into them, might try hard days night as I like beetles too and I've never stayed there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Very average for us but he was very young also.
    Maybe he's come on a lot since.

Thanks for hotel recommendations lads I'll look into them, might try hard days night as I like beetles too and I've never stayed there

If you can get a decent rate I'd say go for it. Definitely one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in the city. Location is perfect too

Ask them for the eight days a week rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I've stayed in the Adelphi a few times and it's cheap enough, worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/mario-balotelli-liverpool-nice-transfer-11799321

Liverpool are hoping to off-load unwanted striker Mario Balotelli to French club Nice.

The Italy international wasn’t at Melwood today after being granted permission to hold talks with the Ligue One outfit.

Liverpool have yet to agree a fee with Nice but discussions have taken place between the clubs over a potential deal.

If Balotelli accepts the opportunity to join Lucien Favre’s squad then the Reds are confident an agreement can swiftly be reached.

Favre said: “I don’t know him personally, but if he runs and wants to help the youngsters, then why not?

“If he doesn’t want to run, then there’s no way he’ll come here.”

Liverpool's Mario Balotelli (right) speaks with Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge and Liverpool's Jordan Henderson (left) before taking the penalty against BesiktasLiverpool's Mario Balotelli (right) speaks with Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge and Liverpool's Jordan Henderson (left) before taking the penalty against Besiktas

Nice, who finished fourth in Ligue One last season, were bought out by a group of Chinese and American investors earlier this summer.

They have been seeking a big signing to lift the club’s profile and believe Balotelli fits the bill.

Liverpool have been desperate to get the striker off the wage bill with agent Mino Raiola touting him around Europe in recent months.

Talks have also taken place with FC Sion but Nice are now the front-runners to sign Balotelli, who recently entered the final year of his contract at Anfield.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/mario-balotelli-liverpool-nice-transfer-11799321

Liverpool are hoping to off-load unwanted striker Mario Balotelli to French club Nice.
    It's the hope that kills you. On a positive note there's only 10 months left on his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Favre said: “I don’t know him personally, but if he runs and wants to help the youngsters, then why not?

“If he doesn’t want to run, then there’s no way he’ll come here.”

This guy is a notorious tough customer when it comes to training and micro management.

We all know that Mario doesn't want to run! Can't see this being a good fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Poor Washington Irving... seeing him move from Liverpool to his French amour... Sucks to be you :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Dickerty wrote: »

Not sure what the tactics were at Chelsea at the time but first team football in his preferred position was a big reason he left. He often drifts right anyway but Hodgson got criticised for picking out right as well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

If its a match weekend the way hotel prices are going in the city just get something that's not mad money, its a small enough city once you are in the centre you will be grand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement