Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

So are we done in the transfer market ? All gone quiet except for the out goings and with klopp's comments during the week i reckon we wont indulge further with bringing in more to the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

So we're in the black for 13m with transfers in and out. No money spent, but owners made 13m . How is that supporting the manager. All this extra tv money plus 13m plus new commercial deals, and still no left back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

So we're in the black for 13m with transfers in and out. No money spent, but owners made 13m . How is that supporting the manager. All this extra tv money plus 13m plus new commercial deals, and still no left back.

We have a new stand ,probably have spent as much as any club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Support means giving them what they want.

Klopp has spent all the money he wanted to.

The owners are not taking money from the club. Stop pedalling this bull****.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

We have no need of a big squad, we had 10-15 senior players too much anyhow, so likely to make a profit. If we can get rid of Markovic, Balotelli, Ilori before the end of the window that'll be another 15m probably. I'd like us to buy a left back, but I don't think we will. I'd be amazed if we bought anyone for any other position.

• Advertisement

sword1 wrote: »
    We have a new stand ,probably have spent as much as any club

I'm sure the owners were quoted as saying that the stadium has no bearing on transfers whatsoever .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wisdom, Markovic, Alberto, Balotelli & Ilori will all more than likely leave before the window closes that will take the number of players leaving the club this summer to 16 that shows how bloated the squad had become under the previous manager.

That doesn't even count the players who have gone out on loan.

Up to 16 out and 6 brought in during the summer 4 of which will more than likely be first team starters.

To be honest I wouldn't count Manninger at all as a transfer in so that's 5 in during the summer 4 starters and Ragnar.

Good business over all I think for Klopp who is just not rebuilding the team but the club.

Gbear wrote: »
    Support means giving them what they want.

Klopp has spent all the money he wanted to.

The owners are not taking money from the club. Stop pedalling this bull****.

I never said they're taking money, that money is still there.
    I'm just saying money was made this summer in transfers, and we lack a leftback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

I'm sure the owners were quoted as saying that the stadium has no bearing on transfers whatsoever .

I would think it would have little as a longterm capital investment but it does show they are investing in the club and not milking the club which is the impression you are giving

• Advertisement

I would think it would have little as a longterm capital investment but it does show they are investing in the club and not milking the club which is the impression you are giving

Not at all.
    We both agree there, they are not milking club.
    Only point I was making is there is all this new money about plus a profit in transfers and still no leftback.
    Should splash out on Hector and make a statement of intent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

They gave the club an interest-free loan to fund the new stand. Is that "investing"? It's a decent thing for them to do for sure but I don't think I'd call it "investing".

Ya, FSG have put nothing into the club financially really, but more importantly I think, they have taken nothing out and increased our income and put us in a much, much better place than we were 6 or 7 years ago as a club, even if the league position hasn't changed that much.

Probably a case of 'be careful what you wish for' in terms of new owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

They gave the club an interest-free loan to fund the new stand. Is that "investing"? It's a decent thing for them to do for sure but I don't think I'd call it "investing".

It cost a small fortune to build. We have been talking about it since Gillet days in one form or another. They brought the capacity from 41,000 to 54,000. They funded it with existing money and not via a large bank loan (regardless of true way it was done, it is interest free so therefore no bank loan). I would call it an investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

How do you figure that out? By your logic every year there's a net spend on transfers the owners would be losing money. If that's the case (which it isn't) why should they be expected to lose money every single window?

Taken from http://anfieldindex.com/22995/fsg-failed-deliver.html you can see the following:-

FSGhavefailed5768x3651472156316.png

Under FSG since 2010 Liverpool have the 4th highest net spend on players and the 5th highest wagebill.

Spurs have a net profit on their net spend on players of £54m and a wage bill than £66m less than us.

What does all that tell us?

1. FSG have been writing the cheques and paying the wages their managers requested.
    2. Liverpool's on field results are less than the sum of their parts whereas Spurs are greater than the sum of their parts.

Bottom line is it's easy to blame FSG for not having a big net spend this window but that's not due to them being unwilling to provide funds to Klopp, it's for two specific reasons:-

1. Klopp has offloaded a lot of players he didn't want (someone mention "deadwood"???)
    2. Klopp doesn't want to buy marquee or finished article type players.

What do you suggest FSG do? Force Klopp so spend a lot of money on players he doesn't want just to keep some keyboard warriors happy????

5starpool wrote: »
    Ya, FSG have put nothing into the club financially really, but more importantly I think, they have taken nothing out and increased our income and put us in a much, much better place than we were 6 or 7 years ago as a club, even if the league position hasn't changed that much.

Probably a case of 'be careful what you wish for' in terms of new owners.

They are running it as a prudent business. Do we really want huge loan overheads ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Of course its investing, they are forgoing the return they would otherwise make if they invested the money elsewhere. Money isn't free you know.

Damien360 wrote: »
    It cost a small fortune to build. We have been talking about it since Gillet days in one form or another. They brought the capacity from 41,000 to 54,000. They funded it with existing money and not via a large bank loan (regardless of true way it was done, it is interest free so therefore no bank loan). I would call it an investment.

Possibly a typo, but it's approx 45k to 54k, not 41k to 54k.

Hopefully we'll hear more about the Anfield Road end soon, but I suspect it'll be a good while before we hear about it.

People need to read the article in the Guardian today on transfers and the part on "Net Spend"

Someone linked it in the Summer Transfer Thread.

5starpool wrote: »
    Possibly a typo, but it's approx 45k to 54k, not 41k to 54k.

Hopefully we'll hear more about the Anfield Road end soon, but I suspect it'll be a good while before we hear about it.

You are right. Apologies

• Advertisement

People need to read the article in the Guardian today on transfers and the part on "Net Spend"

Someone linked it in the Summer Transfer Thread.

Ya, it's a good read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

FYP ^^

Nice, nice:)

Just wanted to add, it's nice to be Nice. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Thanks for the thoughts on Manquillo lads, too many to reply to individually. Baring the comments in mind and the fact that I've been watching Donald Love make Billy Jones look like Cafu for the last few weeks, I'm happy enough.

BBC 1 now jurgen klopp interview with Gary Lineker

Of course its investing, they are forgoing the return they would otherwise make if they invested the money elsewhere. Money isn't free you know.

It's easy to forget the currency issue too, in 2011 UK£300M was $450M, now UK£300M is less than $400M.

KLOPP BBC2 NOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I never said they're taking money, that money is still there.
    I'm just saying money was made this summer in transfers, and we lack a leftback.

I daresay that's actually more evidence that Klopp didn't find anyone he wanted that was available, rather than that they won't give him money.

As you mentioned yourself, the owners already said the stadium doesn't effect transfer spending, and with the extra TV money, we all already know the money is there, especially with the profit on sales. So do you really think Klopp would be totally cool with knowing that money was sitting there and not being allowed to spend it on a position he wanted filled? or is it perhaps more likely that he did the spending he wanted, and would rather wait for a particular target he thinks will come available or something? Because if you're a manager and you're crying out for a left back, shouting at your owner, you don't go and spend close to 30m on Wijnaldum.

So I think there's money there that Klopp would rather use to solve the LB problem in a different way than is presently available. Perhaps we already have things set up for January, who knows.

Personally, I really want us to get a LB, but I believe the ball is in Clop's court, and we just have to accept his plan of action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Paully D wrote: »
    Thanks for the thoughts on Manquillo lads, too many to reply to individually. Baring the comments in mind and the fact that I've been watching Donald Love make Billy Jones look like Cafu for the last few weeks, I'm happy enough.

Always wondered where he disappeared off to after GTA3.

160994.jpg

161003.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

ricero wrote: »
    BBC 1 now jurgen klopp interview with Gary Lineker

He is such an infectious character. Over the next few years , no matter what success -- if any - may come our way, I know I will look back and be seriously happy Klopp was in charge.
    He is so engrossing. You just want to listen to him and them laugh with him.

Bad news looks like coutinho is a doubt for saturdays game with spurs

This must be weakest Champions League ever.
    So many nobodies in it .

ricero wrote: »
    Bad news looks like coutinho is a doubt for saturdays game with spurs

Thankfully we're in a position to deal with problems in the attacking positions now. With Origi also a doubt, would probably expect;

Sturridge
    Firmino----Lallana----Mane

which i'd be fine with.

Very worried about the possibility of Can being out though. Pretty much has to be Henderson and Wijnaldum there in that event, which feels very weak against a very good Spurs attacking midfield.

Why are we playing the most beautiful football in the league ?
    Klopp was not known for this, why is it happening ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I really like Couthino but on the other hand, I'd like to see how the team could cope without him and also I think Spurs could easily setup to mark Phillipe out of the game. Id like to see the front four that Rebel mentions start the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

This must be weakest Champions League ever.
    So many nobodies in it .

I swear, you must hate the idea of actual sport.

Perhaps a champions league qualification based on revenue size?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Loan watch 2016/17

J. Dunn Forward Morecambe
    Played 76 mins as a left winger in 0-1 win at Yeovil Town and 80 mins as a No 10 in 1-2 League Cup defeat

R. Kent Winger Barnsley
    Played 67 in 2-1 defeat to Huddersfield

D. Ward Goalkeeper Huddersfield
    Played full game in 2-1 home win against Barnsley

R. Fulton Goalkeeper Chesterfield
    Full game in 2-1 defeat to Shrewsbury Town

L . Jones Centre back Swindon
    full game and MOTM award in 1-0 home win against Port Vale

Allan Midfielder Hertha Berlin
    On bench unused in DFP Pokal match

J. Flannagan Full back Burnley
    Full game and extra time in defeat to Accrington Stanley

T. Awoniyi Stiker NEC Nijmegen
    Not in squad

Sam Hart has gone out on loan to Port Vale in League One.

Jack Dunn is being used as an attacker of all trades at Morecambe - No 9, No 10, winger. He was always something of an all rounder at the Academy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

What does owner investment look like then? I ask because an interest free loan is how Abramovich has put money into Chelsea.

Roman Abramovich loan to Chelsea parent company exceeds £1 billion

Abramovich did that along with buying billions in artwork work and keeping it in London was to get his money out of Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I daresay that's actually more evidence that Klopp didn't find anyone he wanted that was available, rather than that they won't give him money.

Personally, I really want us to get a LB, but I believe the ball is in Clop's court, and we just have to accept his plan of action.
    I think he doesn't want to change too much in one window. He has spoken recently about having 3/4 new players in the team and adding two more (LB & CM) as suggested by the press is too much, it makes it more difficult to fix issues. He gave the same reason for not wanting to rotate the team too much in the early part of the season - he wants to bed in the team with as little disruption as possible.

Rodgers made the mistake of making wholesale changes to the starting line up in the 2014/15 season and the team never got going.

Barring a defensive injury crisis, the team should be okay until the January transfer window. If needed Klavan can fill in at left back, and Matip has played as a defensive midfielder. The new players will have had 5 months to settle in and the starting line up can handle another new face or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Klopp, Lineker video.

https://vimeo.com/180239342

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Knex. wrote: »
    Klopp, Lineker video.

If football was based on personality, I'd want him here for another ten years.

Talisman wrote: »
    I think he doesn't want to change too much in one window. He has spoken recently about having 3/4 new players in the team and adding two more (LB & CM) as suggested by the press is too much, it makes it more difficult to fix issues. He gave the same reason for not wanting to rotate the team too much in the early part of the season - he wants to bed in the team with as little disruption as possible.

I would totally accept this if the team was functioning properly though, but i'd argue shoehorning Milner into left back causes more disruption than having a new actual left back. He still looks very uncomfortable on his left foot when looking up the line, always looking inside towards the midfielders too...very predictable for opposition midfielders and wingers. Even if we'd just kept Smith, i'd feel a whole lot better, a guy who naturally fits there - not the best in the world, but comfortable enough as an option.

But yeah, im sure we can muddle our way on until January if we absolutely have to, it does just seem an odd decision to not cover that position in any way at all. Really don't want to see Klaven played there though - he's the most definitive CB you'll ever find, really not one you want to see carrying the ball up the line or providing an outlet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Charlie19 wrote: »
    If football was based on personality, I'd want him here for another ten years.

I want him for another ten years as he's a f*cking brilliant manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

I think that story originated from the Rag so I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

Karius is due back after the September international break so I can't see Klopp wanting another keeper.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Knex. wrote: »
    Klopp, Lineker video.

The last minute is brilliant.

I hope Karius is better than Hart, all considered I doubt he is.
    If Klopp knew a few months back that Hart would be available now I doubt very much he'd have bought Karius imo.

I'd like Karius and Hart to slog it out for our starting spot and sell Mignolet in January. Overall cost wouldn't be huge and it's pts in the bag.

Klopp does seem to have a serious inclination to play Milner at LB...http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/daniel-sturridge-urged-liverpools-cristiano-8705806

“Ask Milly (James Milner) 'Why not full-back?' and he’d say because he’s not involved in the game. But in our game the full-back has nearly 70 per cent of the ball.

"So don’t think about it – just play football.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I dont know much about Karius but apparently he's highly rated from those who has seen him and good enough to start for us and has the potential to be an excellent GK. Based on that I'd rather we didn't go in for Hart.

I know loads of people might turn their noses up at Hart but he is a good GK. He has his downsides too but in general he'd be a starter for us. The issue really though is if we did buy him we'd be getting a good player on massive wages and a high enough fee for a slightly better keeper, and we'd have to then sell Mignolet. Too late in the window even if he was wanted at this stage.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'd like to see how we get on with Karius before making any more GK changes.

Hart seems to be more prone to a clanger than Mig these days.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement