Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Don't think Lovren or Matip did much wrong today.

Oh they were great. But that soft centre reared its head. It seems no matter how well we play, we're always liable to concede.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

ricero wrote: »
    Hope during the next couple of weeks fsg announce the sale of the club or at least a minority stake in the club

It won't make much difference if they do. Klopp has shown he's not interested in buying big.

dfx- wrote: »
    but isn't that the biggest thing a team could have wrong about it?

Yup. That's why it's frustrating, and why I said it sounds stupid. We're so good so much of the time, but we just can't be trusted totally at either end of the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ricero wrote: »
    Hope during the next couple of weeks fsg announce the sale of the club or at least a minority stake in the club
    mosstin wrote: »
    It won't make much difference if they do. Klopp has shown he's not interested in buying big.

This answer needs to be tattooed on some people's forehead (in reverse obviously)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

To be honest I think he needs someone in his ear the whole time whatever side he plays.

Fonte was the leader in Southampton yet is was always his partners that got the move.

I think Matip will be good for getting in his ear.

It's only four games into the season but I think Matip could do a better job at Captain than Henderson talking to players and organizing them.

Yea fully agree. I liked the way Matip held onto the ball after it went out for a throw when we had very few back at the very end. Stopped Spurs getting a quick break.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

This answer needs to be tattooed on some people's forehead (in reverse obviously)

The problem isn't Liverpool splashing big fees in fairness, rather its a reluctance to offer someone 150k per week in order to sign.

This may change with investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

price690 wrote: »

The problem isn't Liverpool splashing big fees in fairness, rather its a reluctance to offer someone 150k per week in order to sign.

This may change with investment.
    Exactly we can offer top players big wages and also hold onto our players by offering them top wages.
    also with the new investment we could do up the anfield road end of the stadium and perhaps even build a new training complex which klopp has mentioned. Also the chinese investment would market us better in china which would bring in massive revenue from a untaped market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Cliche, but there's no nous or needle in those centre mid positions. Really thought that position would have been a priority for Klopp. But looks like Lallana and Wijnaldum, traditional attacking players are going to be our midfield generals this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

bur wrote: »
    Cliche, but there's no nous or needle in those centre mid positions. Really thought that position would have been a priority for Klopp. But looks like Lallana and Wijnaldum, traditional attacking players are going to be our midfield generals this season.

Reckon we will see a midfield 3 of can wijnaldum and hendo in some games this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Isn't it wonderful? 4 points from 9 and already some people are popping champagne corks at what a great start we've made to the season. Looks like top 4 is in the bag folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Isn't it wonderful? 4 points from 9 and already some people are popping champagne corks at what a great start we've made to the season. Looks like top 4 is in the bag folks.

You love moaning don't you...

We got 4 points from Burnley, Arsenal and Spurs away. Thats far from a bad haul. We also took points off two of our biggest rivals for 4th in their home game. How is that not a good start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well the way I'm looking at it is beat Leicester in the next game that's 7 points out of 9 from last seasons top 3 which isn't a bad start to this season.

Well the way I'm looking at it is beat Leicester in the next game that's 7 points out of 9 from last seasons top 3 which isn't a bad start to this season.

With two away games too. It would be a great haul. Its been a good start. We have to be realistic and realise we're not at the level of United or City yet so forget about winning the league. We can get top 4 this season. We already look as good if not better than Arsenal and Spurs (our main rivals imo) and they have Europe to contend with. I think Spurs squad could struggle badly with that. They're a good team but very little depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So swap Burnley for Newcastle and going on last years results for the same 3 fixtures Liverpool are up 2 points

Away to Arsenal
    last season 1 pt this 3 pts

Away to Newcastle / Burnley
    last season 0 pts this 0 pts

Away to Spurts
    last season 1 pt this season 1 pt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sigh....what are you blathering about? Liverpool are one point off "par" (two away games against "Top 4" opposition and one away game that should have yielded at least a point hopefully a win but didn't), Matip had his debut it was quite decent as he grew into the game, Can isn't fit, Karius still to come back, Mane playing well, Firmino playing well, a blatant peno denied. It's okay - nothing more, but nothing less either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Firmino keeps starting in center but has not even looked like scoring. Sturridge comes on for few mins other night scores two, loses place again to Firmino.
    Firmino the center forward who never scores
    Coutinho could take Lallana's place with front 3 of Firmino Sturridge Mane

________Mignolet_____

Clyne___Matip__Lovern__Milner

_______Henderson_____

____Can_______Coutinho__

Mane_________________Firmino
    _________Sturridge______

Mane was brilliant working back today. Really good defending.

Firmino keeps starting in center but has not even looked like scoring. Sturridge comes on for few mins other night scores two, loses place again to Firmino.

Thats cause he's not a centerforward... he's playing as a false nine. He was our best player today imo and he's been very effective there imo. Less so against Burnley obv but everyone was.

Sturridge doesn't press, away from home we against Spurs we need the press and it worked. We should have won the game. If Coutinho scores then Firmino walks away with two assists and an awesome days work. Also he's proved before he can score goals from that position.

And was there any need for a triple post?!? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Vanolder wrote: »
    There isn't a hope in he'll Liverpool will be anywhere near a title race. They are light years behind Chelsea, City and Utd.

Liverpool finished 10 points ahead of Chelsea last year and they didn't exactly spend huge during the summer so I don't think there is a huge gap between the two. If Chelsea lose costa or hazard through injury they might struggle to score regularly. Obviously city and Utd will finish well ahead of Liverpool this season.

As for the guy who said it wouldn't matter if klopp had money he wouldn't spend it because he doesn't buy big..are you serious. If Liverpool gave klopp a budget where he could hand out £300,000-500,000 a week wage packets you can be sure most of the top players on the planet would be linked with liverpool

• Advertisement

Do you even watch Klopp's Liverpool?

Sturridge doesn't start in games like today because he's incapable of pressing for long periods. It's obvious, and will always be the case under this manager.

Firmino was also superb today. He was also our top scorer in the league last year. So 'never scores' is a pretty stupid thing to say.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Liverpool finished 10 points ahead of Chelsea last year and they didn't exactly spend huge during the summer so I don't think there is a huge gap between the two. If Chelsea lose costa or hazard through injury they might struggle to score regularly. Obviously city and Utd will finish well ahead of Liverpool this season.

As for the guy who said it wouldn't matter if klopp had money he wouldn't spend it because he doesn't buy big..are you serious. If Liverpool gave klopp a budget where he could hand out £300,000-500,000 a week wage packets you can be sure most of the top players on the planet would be linked with liverpool

That would be me and I was absolutely serious. Klopp has never been a big spender really, preferring to find players which suit his system. There is money there, we've recouped a lot from transfers but he's said that with possibly one more arrival, he'll work with what he has.

This could end up really funny.

https://twitter.com/SMignolet/status/769608574750392320?lang=en-gb

Looking forward to joining @chris_kammy & @benshephard for Goals on Sunday tomorrow morning on @SkySports. Tune in, should be fun ��

MOTD
    Taking note of the incident where ref blows for a foul on Matip in box from corner, only for ref to give Spurs a second chance with a retake of corner. You can't just make rules up as you go.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

MOTD
    Taking note of the incident where ref blows for a foul on Matip in box from corner, only for ref to give Spurs a second chance with a retake of corner. You can't just make rules up as you go.
    Yeah, that was annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

NukaCola wrote: »

No wonder all the dislike from the neutrals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Spurs are a weak club. They will crumble this year. They are not top four contenders from what I saw today (and possibly neither are we).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

So much for squeaky bum time. Myth busted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Was this twitter? Because it wasn't on here anyway.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

The ones that immediately come to mind are Benayoun vs Fulham/Collymore vs Newcastle/Lallana vs Norwich.

I'm sure if I actually put my mind to it I could remember more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Spurs are a weak club. They will crumble this year. They are not top four contenders from what I saw today (and possibly neither are we).

At this stage last year Spurs were on 2 points yet comfortably finished 3rd. They're undefeated and on 5 points currently. To say they're weak and will crumble is a bit baffling imo considering they came from a goal down to get the draw today. It's far too early to be writing teams off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Firmino Sturridge Mane
    Coutinho
    Can lucas/willjilldjum
    Milner Matip Sakho/lovren Clyne
    Mig (karuus when fit)
    top 3 finish

Sturridge Mane
    Couthinho
    Milner Can
    lucas
    Moreno/new lb Mati sakho clyne
    win the league

We have a hard first six games

easy november and december
    but i can't deal with not having the most natural finisher on the bench. klopp you rock but i am starting to get the vibe that he is likes sticking his finger up his and like the smell of it

lallana is playing well but just isn't a winner. hendo is pants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Firmino Sturridge Mane
    Coutinho
    Can lucas/willjilldjum
    Milner Matip Sakho/lovren Clyne
    Mig (karuus when fit)
    top 3 finish

Sturridge Mane
    Couthinho
    Milner Can
    lucas
    Moreno/new lb Mati sakho clyne
    win the league

We have a hard first six games

easy november and december
    but i can't deal with not having the most natural finisher on the bench.

Easy months ? Since when has there been easy months in football ? Either of those teams would be doing well to challenge for top four let alone win it... :pac:

klopp you rock but i am starting to get the vibe that he is likes sticking his finger up his and like the smell of it

wtf-did-i-just-read.jpg

K-9 wrote: »
    Was this twitter? Because it wasn't on here anyway.

Yeah, it's actually the opposite!

4 from 9 is just ok.

Most people's would have been pretty happy with 5 from 9 before a ball was kicked I'd say!

The Burnley defeat was just deflating after the the Arsenal win.

Leicester home and Chelsea away the next two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

klopp you rock but i am starting to get the vibe that he is likes sticking his finger up his and like the smell of it

You'd think you'd be safe enough having a quick skim over the Liverpool thread while eating your breakfast.

But noooo!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Watched the full match last night as could'nt watch it live.

We should have won, we dominated them for large parts of that game and should have been 3 up after the hour.
    Hendo played well enough i thought and i get the feeling if he had more help in the middle would have made his job easier.
    Wijasjlnajn in the middle was a passenger for the entire game, he's too lazy to be a central midfielder, Hendo was left to do the work of two of them and did ok at it.

Mane was very good again, Coutinho was ineffective, Lovren played very well and Matip also looked very good and he added a level of dependancy to our back three, Would like to see Matip and Lovren as our first choice pairing.
    Clyne was caught ball watching for their goal but played ok in general.

In summary after our first three games i'd say a majority of us would have predicted 4/5 points out of them, and although they did'nt come in the fashion we would have predicted we're doing ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Glico Man wrote: »
    The ones that immediately come to mind are Benayoun vs Fulham/Collymore vs Newcastle/Lallana vs Norwich.

I'm sure if I actually put my mind to it I could remember more.

Torres v Portsmouth same day we beat France at Croker in the 6 Nations

Also Neil Mellor's cracker v Arsenal

Distinctly remember where I was for both of those

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Gerrard away at Fulham in the 13/14 season. Last gasp pen to win it 2-3.

Can't think of any others right now.

Really surprised that United are that far back in the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Anything going to happen to Alli over the Firmino incident?

He really is an unlikeable character...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Anything going to happen to Alli over the Firmino incident?

He really is an unlikeable character...

Ah there was very little in that. A little flick of the foot, that's all. Hardly a stamp.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Umaro wrote: »
    Gerrard away at Fulham in the 13/14 season. Last gasp pen to win it 2-3.

Can't think of any others right now.

Really surprised that United are that far back in the list.

People remember theirs more because it won them leagues. Ours won us nothing but games in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I thought Mignolet had a decent game yesterday, minimum of fuss. Couple of good saves and I don't think he can be faulted for the goal. He actually came out to block it where before he would have stayed static. His distribution was way better than has been in the past. I'm not a fan of his but he done good. Still want to see Karius as no.1 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I missed the Spurs game cos I was working but just got around to watching the highlights there now. It looks like we were much the better team in the first half and on another day would have gone in at half time 2 or even 3 up but a combination of poor finishing and coming up against the standard reserve keeper on steroids ensured we didn't. Lallana was probably offside for Mane's goal but it was marginal and how many times have we seen players get away with exactly that against us and throughout the PL? Still that's no excuse, we should have won the game imo and I am very confident of getting something out of both the Leicester and chelsea games. As usual it's a terrible time for an international break but hopefully we can use the time to get a few more players up to speed and match fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Oh and the ref giving Jan Vertognen a second chance instead of giving the pen was pure and utter horse manure! Total injustice. If Lovren took someone down in the box when he was through in goal would the ref stop play and explain to Dejan that he is not allowed to do that and order everyone to start again from the same position as they were in before the challenge? No of course not, it's a ludicrous thought, but that's what happened. Total nonsense. :mad:

Cq3x_aNWIAUDV1N.jpg

Clearly in line. Both players are about to step on white line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    They didn't crumble yesterday and got themselves back into the game.

Last season, they got 19 points from the 13 games where they conceded the first goal. In contrast, Liverpool only managed to get 8 points from the 13 league games where we conceded the first goal.

It was a bad refereeing display all round yesterday. From linesman to ref it was poor.
    Should have had 3 penalties and another goal, this is a fact after we look at footage afterwards.

Cq3x_aNWIAUDV1N.jpg

Clearly in line. Both players are about to step on white line

Let it go, let it go.

We are being linked today with Ante Coric

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement