Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Yes but they HAVE 9 points. We HAVE 4 points.

They have WON 3 games. We have WON 1 game.

That is all that counts.
    Exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

NukaCola wrote: »
    Are you replying to your own posts now?

It's just the way he rolls.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Another thing I find interesting is the fan dynamic with Klopp. It's night and day when compared with Rodgers. It seems that when Rodgers had a falling out with a player, then the fans got on his back pretty quickly (Assaidi was one I remember). On the other hand, Klopp can fall out with two players who most people would have thought were first teamers (Sturridge and Sakho), yet almost nothing is said about this. Same goes for tactics. On Saturday, Sturridge should have been brought on much earlier, yet was left far too late. If Rodgers had done the same, you'd have people going mental in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

http://readliverpoolfc.com/2016/08/28/liverpool-make-bid-brazilian-forward/

Liverpool have made an offer of €35 million (£30 million) for Gremio forward Luan according to radio station Futebol da Gaucha.

Anyone know anything about this lad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Another thing I find interesting is the fan dynamic with Klopp. It's night and day when compared with Rodgers. It seems that when Rodgers had a falling out with a player, then the fans got on his back pretty quickly (Assaidi was one I remember). On the other hand, Klopp can fall out with two players who most people would have thought were first teamers (Sturridge and Sakho), yet almost nothing is said about this. Same goes for tactics. On Saturday, Sturridge should have been brought on much earlier, yet was left far too late. If Rodgers had done the same, you'd have people going mental in here.

What are the point of these type of posts? Rodgers is gone and Klopp has been in charge less than a year. Lets see how klopp is getting on after 3 full seasons and then do all the insightful comparisons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Alonso77 wrote: »
    What are the point of these type of posts? Rodgers is gone and Klopp has been in charge less than a year. Lets see how klopp is getting on after 3 full seasons and then do all the insightful comparisons!

He's not comparing managers he's comparing peoples reactions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Forgot Assaidi existed tbh. :o
    Klopp has gotten a few selections & decisions wrong. I'm happy he's our manager but like I said Saturday his squad has the same old problems for us.
    We haven't addressed many glaring problems that our opponents benefit from.
    Doubt too many can say they've been bowled over by our transfer activity. Mane has done well & brought much needed pace in attack but I ain't confident about the others. We sold very well & covered our costs. But I'm still confused by seeing Milner at left back & our team struggling for regular goalscorers clearly plays best without a striker. Origi was poor Saturday & the face Sturridge had when he came on was embarrassing to see.

ERG89 wrote: »
    ........ Origi was poor Saturday & the face Sturridge had when he came on was embarrassing to see.

I thought it was a joke bringing him on at all, less than 2 mins normal time left. Ridiculous use of a player.

• Advertisement

People react differently to different managers. Perhaps some have more faith instinctively with certain managers decisions due to their proven pedigree. There's prob some on here still crying themselves to sleep over Rodgers being dismissed.

.... There's prob some on here still crying themselves to sleep over Rodgers being dismissed.

lol

that's a tad childish, that's like claiming there are some on here fantasising about Klopp hugging them and patting them on the arse like he does to some players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Meh, reactions even within those categories changed from month to month too. Rodgers was given plenty of slack when things were going well, and Klopp will start getting more stick if things go badly. Such is life.
    Fieldog wrote: »

Liverpool have made an offer of €35 million (£30 million) for Gremio forward Luan according to radio station Futebol da Gaucha.

Interesting...don't really know where he'd fit in. Never seen him play club football, but watched most of Brazils matches at the Olympics. Didn't play as an out and out striker, was more like Firmino or Coutinho, playing deeper and pulling strings around the box. Looked technically good, with good awareness, though I didn't notice any particular speed - seemed like Neymar and Gabi Jesus were doing the running with Luan picking the passes.

I presume he plays further forward for Gremio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I saw him play in the final of the olympics. He was alright. Skillfull but a bit lightweight and poor stamina.

I dont see anything in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Nice to see he has an Irish name at least.

Augeo wrote: »
    lol

that's a tad childish, that's like claiming there are some on here fantasising about Klopp hugging them and patting them on the arse like he does to some players.

Actually hold on, there's no prob about it in your case old boy. You had a hard time handling it as I recall. Ah bless. Be great if you could give Klopp as much leeway as you gave Brendan. Fairs fair dear chap

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Augeo wrote: »
    I thought it was a joke bringing him on at all, less than 2 mins normal time left. Ridiculous use of a player.

I was on about the face he pulled when Origi was brought on. I would have brought on Lucas at 1-0 as there was no need to bring on a forward to chase a game you lead. Middle of the pitch is a real problem area too with Henderson & Wijnaldum.

Actually hold on, there's no prob about it in your case old boy. You had a hard time handling it as I recall. Ah bless. Be great if you could give Klopp as much leeway as you gave Brendan. Fairs fair dear chap

Hard time handling what?
    Do link to some posts to back up what you recall old boy.

Do you fantasize about klopp hugging you BTW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

K-9 wrote: »
    I don't know if that's a rule or practice anymore.
    NukaCola wrote: »
    I asked this a few times, everyone assumes its the case but I haven't seen it documented anywhere official.
    Benefit in doubt is a myth created by Andy Gray and still keeps get pushed today, offside is offside no matter if it is 2mm or 20 meters

Sorry for the late reply gents, was working on this beautiful Sunday :(

But "the benefit of the doubt must go to the attacker" in moments of uncertainty is indeed a 'rule' within the game.
    2003: At the UEFA’s Referees' Committee held on Saturday 20 December 2003, the following general conclusions and recommendations were made.

Offside

2. If an assistant referee is not totally sure about an offside offence the flag should not be raised (i.e. in case of doubt benefit must be given to the attacking team).

Source (beware its a hard read)

Granted its from 2003, but I've seen no evidence that this 'rule' was repealed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I remember at halftime in the Arsenal game everyone was screaming for Klopp to make 2 changes at halftime.

Its a common complaint from fans as they have no patience and less insight into what the manager is trying to accomplish. Match threads have people calling for changes after 20 minutes most days.

It doesn't mean a manager can't get things wrong but the reasons for not bringing on Danny against Spurs were pretty obvious. He can't run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    I remember at halftime in the Arsenal game everyone was screaming for Klopp to make 2 changes at halftime.

Its a common complaint from fans as they have no patience and less insight into what the manager is trying to accomplish. Match threads have people calling for changes after 20 minutes most days.

It doesn't mean a manager can't get things wrong but the reasons for not bringing on Danny against Spurs were pretty obvious. He can't run.

This has become a big thing in the last few years, fans demand immediate and swift reaction to something, there's no patience in the game anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

I hate this early international break.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The only thing I know about him is that we aren't trying to buy him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

emo72 wrote: »
    I hate this early international break.

They should consolidate them into a couple of longer breaks. Be more efficient and less if a pain in the hole.

Also, if one could be moved around the time of the ACON that'd be sound. It'd lessen the impact for all the clubs with African internationals.

Pyjamarama wrote: »

No media article or pundit ever mentions his pace being effected by recent injuries to the extent folks on here declare. If he was as crocked as some reckon he is, there's no way he'd have started against Burnley imo or be picked in England's latest squad. Also after Benteke being sold another striker would definitely have been brought in.

I didn't see Origi doing much running in the 25 mins he was on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

So who's going out on loan or to be sold from the remaining squad before close of business on Wednesday?

Balotelli?
    Ings?
    Sakho?
    Markovic?
    Alberto?
    Wisdom?
    Llori?
    Randall?
    Stewart?

With Klopp having said he wants to put out a consistent and settled side as much as possible it seems silly to have a lot of fringe players on the bench or in the stands every week instead of going out on loan (if they are ear marked as potential first team/match day squad players in the future) or sold if surplus to requirements.

I've a feeling with all the money sloshing about this year and with a few clubs who have left it late to fill out their squads (Hull, Arsenal, Burnley plus a load in the Championship etc) there could be some mad scrambling done over the next few days compared to the last few days of previous windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

To me Origi came on to hold up the ball and let the rest of the team push up together. We were starting to drop to deep at this stage and we needed to get out a little more.

When Sturridge plays up front he tends to drop deep as well so if he is the initial sub instead of Origi he might have been dropping to deep and not helping relieve the pressure.

I agree Origi didn't look good on Saturday but if he had of scored we would be all saying he did a decent job when he came on.

Balotelli?
    Ings?
    Sakho?
    Markovic?
    Alberto?
    Wisdom?
    Llori?
    Randall?
    Stewart?..........

I reckon Ings & Stewart are the only two who'll see game time.

Whatever happened with Sakho & Klopp is fairly irreconcilable I think and a loan for him is a precursor to a sale with the loan simply to maximise his value to ensure ROI.

Markovic won't get a shot to "prove" himself, neither Klopp or Rodgers seemed to think he's good enough. The only reason he's still here is financial, if he had cost £10m they'd have sold him by now.

I like Wisdom, with Sakho a goner he might stay as I dunno is Klavan enough CB cover, Gomez still a way to go recovery wise.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I agree Origi didn't look good on Saturday but if he had of scored we would be all saying he did a decent job when he came on.

True, but to score he'd have needed to take some shots, get on the end of something or create something.

The "good" thing about Sturridge being less pacey than a season or two ago is that by him dropping deep when we have Mane's pace and Firmino as a false 9 the opposition would need to cover quite a bit of ground defensively.

The opposition can't let Sturridge just have the ball outside the penalty area and not react.

Ideally we'll see Firmino, Mane, Sturridge & Coutinho all in the starting 11 at times. That put's Lallana on the bench but with Can and Grujic/Henderson I reckon we'd be ok if Matip continues to impress.

Milner at LB can almost be a 3rd midfielder if the CBs cover him, with the front 4 I mention the CBs wouldn't be playing too high a line obviously but that's no harm either.

Its obvious that Klopp sees Origi as a better fit to the team system he wants to implement. That does not mean he is unaware of what Sturridge is capable of. I'd say there will a balancing act in various games of playing the fluid front 3 of Mane Firmino Coutinho like Spurs away or Playing Origi to lead the line like many times at the tail end of last yr.

Sturridge will get his games and score goals but some fans/media will still concentrate on his body language, his touchline frowning and gurning and dissect every little comment he makes in the hope of a dramatic Klopp/Studge showdown which if does happen will only have one winner - me for predicting it.

Then I get a hug from Klopp and we beat Utd 4 nil. The end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So who's going out on loan or to be sold from the remaining squad before close of business on Wednesday?

Balotelli - Sold/Loan
    Ings - Stay
    Sakho - Should Stay (Probably Gone)
    Markovic - Sold/Loan
    Alberto - Sold (Interest from Spain?)
    Wisdom - Sold/Loan (Not Good Enough)
    Llori - Sold/Loan (As Above)
    Randall - Loan (Might Get A Chance To Prove Himself)
    Stewart - Keep (Will Be Backup Player)

The only two that I'd be annoyed about leaving would be Sakho and Markovic.

Sakho is a very good player and just seems to make stupid decisions. I wonder what has really went on this summer between him and Klopp?

Markovic I feel was never given a proper run in the team playing as a winger and I believe that he should have been given that opportunity. To me it looked like he struggled to settle in England and maybe wants out himself to return home or back to Portugal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

5starpool wrote: »
    The only thing I know about him is that we aren't trying to buy him.

"Sign all the Brazilians".Simpson's gif

emmetkenny wrote: »
    ..........I wonder what has really went on this summer between him and Klopp?............

Late for a training session, didn't turn up at something else and attempted taking the p1ss when Klopp was being interviewed. Add in general non specific messing/joking around that compound the situation.

Some of the LFC sites mentioned that he essentially entered 3 strikes territory. Can't really have an influence deemed disruptive in a squad imo, regardless of on pitch ability.

What really went on will probably be revealed in someone's book in the future but it's quite likely not overly sensational.

You can't be crossing the line repeatedly.

Also the supplement thing, ban or not, he was taking some stuff without consulting the club, that's fairly bad in isolation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Send Lazar to Rafa for a season ,might do them both good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Send Lazar to Rafa for a season ,might do them both good
    Interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I wonder if there's any truth to the rumours that we're in for Fuchs?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Vicxas wrote: »
    I wonder if there's any truth to the rumours that we're in for Fuchs?

Almost certainly not. As a rule of thumb if you dismiss all rumours, you'll be right 98% of the time.

Either way, I couldn't give 2 fuchs. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

We were linked with a £20M bid for him earlier in the summer so I watched him play a few games in the Olympics.

He was more of a support player than a #9. He dribbled a lot and passed the ball into the net rather than shoot. It could be the role he was given because Neymar and Gabriel Jesus had the front spots nailed down.

If we're signing him then I presume it's to play the Firmino role, support player with the option to play up front.

I've seen people arguing that Klopp needs to be given time to sort the side out.
    That's a cop out to me.

Obviously he needs time and I don't think I've even seen trolls suggesting he should be under serious pressure.

That doesn't mean he can do no wrong for an arbitrary length of time. It just means there's an acceptance that he will make some missteps.

That doesn't stop us mentioning them and mentioning them doesn't mean someone's not generally hugely enthusiastic about Klopp.

Gbear wrote: »
    I've seen people arguing that Klopp needs to be given time to sort the side out.
    That's a cop out to me............

Latest, judge him after 3 full seasons, last season didn't exist for him, finishing 8th nothing to do with him presumably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

We got to to 2 cup finals last season & finished 8th in a large part to playing reserve sides at the end of the season.

Also Matip was excellent & his height should be a big help for us . Mane has been superb & I though Wijnaldum played well Saturday too. Klavan an improvement on Skrtel.

Clyne has been off form which has cost us points which is very unlike him.Early days but Klopp's signings this summer look very good & improvements on what we have compared to signings in previous years. The CM role could be an issue but hopefully Can will be fully fit soon. Also our fitness levels are the best in the league. With no Europe I can it being a huge advantage this season. Cut out individual errors & I think we will have a great season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Honestly, I more encouraged than discouraged by Saturday's game. Spurs are an excellent side and Liverpool were clearly the better team.

Hopefully we can get through the international break without any issues or injuries, and onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Knex. wrote: »
    Honestly, I more encouraged than discouraged by Saturday's game. Spurs are an excellent side and Liverpool were clearly the better team.

Yes, we have played two of our big rivals away and got 4 points our of the games. I would have expected to lose one of those and draw the other, so 4 points would be the bets outcome if we beat Burnley in between.

Break comes at a good time in that we need to get Can and Karius back (although Migs has done well), hopefully some minutes for Sturridge and Origi, and all those staying behind will get some great training time in...

MD1990 wrote: »
    Clyne has been off form which has cost us points which is very unlike him.Early days but Klopp's signings this summer look very good & improvements on what we have compared to signings in previous years. The CM role could be an issue but hopefully Can will be fully fit soon. Also our fitness levels are the best in the league. With no Europe I can it being a huge advantage this season. Cut out individual errors & I think we will have a great season.

Signings don't exist in a vacuum. All the players you sign might turn out great but you still might have done poorly if you failed to address your biggest issues.

Our failures in the market in recent seasons have been more about what we didn't do.
    There's been a number of good players signed but we failed to fix the biggest issues.

Again, the defence has had a lot of work done to it but we've also managed to start a season with only 1 full back.

Ah I see the butthurt is still strong from the few Rodgers brigade, getting their jabs in on Klopp whichever way they can - ignoring context, timeline and basic comprehension of what's happening in front of their eyes on and off the pitch.

They say they are behind the manager but their posts betray their true feelings every now and again. Fascinating stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Annoying result for me

Positives
    Mane again was great ,for me first name on the sheet already , offers us real pace around the park and not afraid to take on a player.
    Fitness levels look above other teams in the league
    Matip and Lovren look like putting together a decent partnership

Negatives
    Conceding again , we just seem to leak weak goals every week , I see no real improvment at the back from when Rodgers was shown the door.
    Henderson is going backwards , would drop him at this point
    Wijnaldum looks very ordinary in midfield.
    Left back looks such an obvious problem yet club seem to want to ignore it , despite Milner doing a good job there he is better on left of midfield.
    Mignolet started again , will be a negative for me until he is out of the side.

We have now gone 150 mins without a goal from play , that is a little worrying with so many streaky players up front , will we have too many days were we do not convert dominance into goals.

Ah I see the butthurt is still strong from the few Rodgers brigade, getting their jabs in on Klopp whichever way they can - ignoring context, timeline and basic comprehension of what's happening in front of their eyes on and off the pitch.

They say they are behind the manager but their posts betray their true feelings every now and again. Fascinating stuff.
    I suppose this is directed at me? FYI - Rodgers lost the plot last year and deserved to go. But yes, don't let a fact get in the way of your agenda.

I suppose this is directed at me? FYI - Rodgers lost the plot last year and deserved to go. But yes, don't let a fact get in the way of your agenda.

No it's not directed at you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Gbear wrote: »
    Signings don't exist in a vacuum.All the players you sign might turn out great but you still might have done poorly if you failed to address your biggest issues.

Our failures in the market in recent seasons have been more about what we didn't do.
    There's been a number of good players signed but we failed to fix the biggest issues.

Again, the defence has had a lot of work done to it but we've also managed to start a season with only 1 full back.
    :confused: We have been selling players nearly every week this summer. Rodgers signings especially in attacking positions were terrible. Klopp has a clear philosophy & he is buying players suited to his style of play.
    Milner as an LB was superb on saturday & he was the stealness that is perfect to tighten up that area. CM is an issue but less so when Can is fully fit.

• Advertisement

Dickerty wrote: »
    Yes, we have played two of our big rivals away and got 4 points our of the games. I would have expected to lose one of those and draw the other, so 4 points would be the bets outcome if we beat Burnley in between.

Break comes at a good time in that we need to get Can and Karius back (although Migs has done well), hopefully some minutes for Sturridge and Origi, and all those staying behind will get some great training time in...

I think the way the games played out tells you a lot about how schizophrenic this team is.

Assuming that beating Burnley is something we're theoretically capable of, 9pts from these games could have happened without too much going differently. Then there'd be a huge wave of optimism following us starting the strongest of any team in the league.

It'd be different if we poxed the 4 pts off Arsenal and Spurs. That it feels like 2pts dropped suggests there's something good buried in this team.

But we did only get 4 pts in practice.
    There's things you need to do in matches to make sure you get what you deserve, they're incredibly important and we hadn't sorted them yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement