Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

And everyone back home wonders why I live in Germany :P

Any chance you've been giving English lessons to a left back over there? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Come on you know as well as I do what Köln is famous for and its not its ladies..........:D:D:D

Grüße aus Essen

The cathedral?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Think a game 24 hours after barca seems to be a bad idea.

How's Matip playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

J Mysterio wrote: »
    The cathedral?

A few priests might feel right at home.....mind you the lads in Köln may be a little too old....:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If a title challenge is 'overly optimistic', expecting to finish 6th or 7th is ridiculously pessimistic.

We're the sixth best team. As such, 6th is our expected finishing position.

Either our opponents need to underperform, or we need to overperform for us to do any better. I would hope that that's what we're going to do, but it stops being overperforming if you can expect it.
    Alonso77 wrote: »
    Surely we should be going into the season with the intention of winning it however realistic. Why not?

We can't intend anything. We're supporters. We don't have any impact on how we get on.

I expect the team to go into every game intending to win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Karius_Fans5.jpg

Full hd gives more detail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

And in other news....

Posters on the United thread think that they get 100% of shirt sales income and that it will cover the cost of their new signings.

Our b team is going through the motions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Gbear wrote: »

Either our opponents need to underperform, or we need to overperform for us to do any better. I would hope that that's what we're going to do, but it stops being overperforming if you can expect it.

We can't intend anything. We're supporters. We don't have any impact on how we get on.

I expect the team to go into every game intending to win it.

What a silly post, it was obviously the teams/manager expectation/intention I was talking about. Silly person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

ebbsy wrote: »
    And in other news....

Posters on the United thread think that they get 100% of shirt sales income and that it will cover the cost of their new signings.

Their new signing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27245867

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Deleted?

He may have a point but he brings in Sturridges injury to justify his argument, never realising that Sturridge was a perpetual injury story a year before Klopp joins.

Gbear wrote: »

Nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

ebbsy wrote: »
    And in other news....

Football makes basic logic go out the window, we aren't immune either.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Good 3rd goal.

Sam Hart coming on

Moreno off for a icecream

Will need to score 4 and concede no more to win this.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

That's it, we're getting relegated this season now after this result.

Top 10 should be the target

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Avoiding relegation should be top priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

6th is a fail. Anything below 4th is an unsuccessfull season.

So if we finish the season with lets say 75 points but some how 4 or 5 other teams get more than us, that is a fail??

You sir are silly...... yes I said it, silly ;)

Listen it shouldnt happen of course but if we miss out on 4th i will accept it as long as we put up a good fight and come really close to a top 4 spot.

I want us to win the league
    I expect us to finish in the top 4
    I will accept a challenge for 4th

Last season we where not one of teh best 4 teams in teh country and I dont mean in league table terms. Our team was poor. Very poor. We are playing catch up on all those above us and to improve on that is all that we can hope for. We will not do a Leicester City!!

Klopp said we need to manage our expectations because it ends up weighing heavily on the team. We have one bad result and the fans will call for change , instead of rationalising the fact that we played less than 24 hours ago and this is a reserve team. People excused Barca by saying they didnt have enough preparation for our game. Yet wont excuse us for having less time.............

As fans we need to chill out and just try to enjoy the good days. They wont all be good so make the good ones count and look forward to the next game if we dont have such a good day.

Roll on Arsenal I cant fkn wait for it

• Advertisement

Charlie19 wrote: »

I'm an optimist. I look at what Watford and Swansea did last season and think why not us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Sickened. We should hand our 4 goals back to Barca, etc. etc...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'd take 17th now if offered it. Klopp out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Thankfully for Barca they weren't playing Mainz

Are Mainz now the best team in Europe??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Won 4-0 yesterday and losing 4-0 today so it balances out.

A bit ridiculous having two games in two days especially when you have to take the traveling into consideration. I wasn't really expecting any of the first team to feature today.

I blame the Jersey
    Highlight marker jersey
    No highlights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Pointless match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Charlie19 wrote: »

Well be lucky if we only fall to league 2 at the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Well be lucky if we only fall to league 2 at the end of the season.

That's more like it, i was getting worried yesterday with all the optimism

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

And everyone back home wonders why I live in Germany :P

Come on you know as well as I do what K ln is famous for and its not its ladies..........:D:D:D

Gr e aus Essen

Hence the reason why I don't live in K ln but Rheinland-Pfalz :P

On the plus side. The last time we got thumped by Mainz
    We finished 3rd in the league and lost to Milan in the CL final.

So by my calculations thats at least a fourth place finish.

Mr.H wrote: »
    So if we finish the season with lets say 75 points but some how 4 or 5 other teams get more than us, that is a fail??

You sir are silly...... yes I said it, silly ;)

Listen it shouldnt happen of course but if we miss out on 4th i will accept it as long as we put up a good fight and come really close to a top 4 spot.

Sorry but you are talking shìte. LFC should always be challenging for the title.

Top 4 is a minimum requirement for Liverpool to have had a successfull season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

5starpool wrote: »
    I'd take 17th now if offered it. Klopp out.

I disagree. I think relegation could actually be a good thing. A chance to clear out the deadwood and start again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think flying to Germany for a 2nd game in less than 24 hours was a very poor decision.

J Mysterio wrote:
    Sorry but you are talking shìte. LFC should always be challenging for the title.

Top 4 is a minimum requirement for Liverpool to have had a successfull season.

Wow and your saying I'm talking ****e.....

Why should Liverpool be always challenging? What define right do we have? Where you even alive when we won the last one?

A lot on here were a bit young even for Istanbul let alone our last title.

With your mentality Leicester have no right to win the league.

You are completely wrong with your expectations and your reasoning.

4th is our aim and less is a fail???? How can we change other teams faith while not playing against us? It is possible for more than 5 teams to get 70 points!

70 points is a realistic aim as it is a defined target. 4th place is a target for a couch fan who shouts at the TV for the team to just be better. We can't control how many points will get 4th but we can aim for a points tally.

You can get 4th with 60 points but at the same time it could take 80.......

My aim is realistic and reasonable.
    Yours is childish immature and not thought through.

Talking ****e my arse.

MD1990 wrote: »
    I think flying to Germany for a 2nd game in less than 24 hours was a very poor decision.

It was a workout for those who have not played
    I doubt it was full on
    We have enough injuries
    They were told to be safe
    We can judge next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ojo injured now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I don't think Liverpool defeat can be put at the door of anyone other than the singer who murdered YNWA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Wow and your saying I'm talking ****e.....

Why should Liverpool be always challenging? What define right do we have? Where you even alive when we won the last one?

A lot on here were a bit young even for Istanbul let alone our last title.

With your mentality Leicester have no right to win the league.

You are completely wrong with your expectations and your reasoning.

4th is our aim and less is a fail???? How can we change other teams faith while not playing against us? It is possible for more than 5 teams to get 70 points!

70 points is a realistic aim as it is a defined target. 4th place is a target for a couch fan who shouts at the TV for the team to just be better. We can't control how many points will get 4th but we can aim for a points tally.

You can get 4th with 60 points but at the same time it could take 80.......

My aim is realistic and reasonable.
    Yours is childish immature and not tonight through.

Talking ****e my arse.

Think you need to calm down.

I'm old enough to remember Liverpool in the 80's and then finishing second was indeed a failure.

Nowadays, our status has diminished. In the same time football has changed and the big time is to be in the Champion's League. We are one of the world's biggest clubs, so for me 6 out of the last 7 seasons have been failures as we have not qualified for it.

Finishing top 4 should be a minimum target for us and the ultimate aim is to win the league.

5th or 6th should always be regarded as a failure.

murpho999 wrote:

So let's say we have 70 points and finish 5th but the team in 4th also has 70 points but a better go. You class that as a failure even though we met every realistic expectation?

Fans these days are very demanding and not realistic.

Chelsea city arsenal and united are all way richer than us. That's 4 teams. Not including west ham and spurs who can match us for potential finances.

So tell me why we should be a definite for top 4 ahead of those other 6?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Last season being called a failure despite 2 cup finals and Klopp laying the ground work for the future of this squad, without adding any signings, is short sighted and too black and white for me.

By some peoples standard Benitez first season was a failure despite winning the CL, and I would bet some will still say it was a failure despite him laying down the groundwork and building his own squad and tactics for what was a very successful spell at LFC.

I personally think we'll do well this season, and I think we will challenge seriously for top 4, but this failure/success stuff is getting ridiculous and will ultimately lead to some calling for Klopps head unless he gets everything right......give him time and we'll be successful....but these first few seasons are a rebuilding job, and as much as I hate the term "rebuilding" thats what we've bought into with Klopp.

We have hired a manager for the long term who builds a successful team over time....and he'll need time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

Looks like Arsenal lost another defender there this evening, Gabriel with a bad looking injury towards the end.
    Should be something of a make-shift back 4 next week.
    I'd expect Wenger to finally bring in another defender now, but more likely before the end of the window than before the game next week.

Probably been answered but why did we play 2 friendlies in 2 days?

Strange

NukaCola wrote: »
    Last season being called a failure despite 2 cup finals and Klopp laying the ground work for the future of this squad, without adding any signings, is short sighted and too black and white for me.

Yeah but you get a bye for your first season! Now is what counts. Klopp has said this is his team now.

Im very optimistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

murpho999 wrote: »
    Think you need to calm down.

I'm old enough to remember Liverpool in the 80's and then finishing second was indeed a failure.

Nowadays, our status has diminished. In the same time football has changed and the big time is to be in the Champion's League. We are one of the world's biggest clubs, so for me 6 out of the last 7 seasons have been failures as we have not qualified for it.

Finishing top 4 should be a minimum target for us and the ultimate aim is to win the league.

Set your expectations too high and every year could be a bad year.Start every season hoping to avoid relegation and hopefully every year will good with the odd shock of doing better than you expected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Yeah but you get a bye for your first season! Now is what counts. Klopp has said this is his team now.

Im very optimistic.

What about your first full season :D

I like the optimism, and I may be coming across negative but I like to remain realistic and what I think is realistic and you or other posters will obviously differ which is fair enough.

I just dont think we are at the stage of challenging just yet. Midfield looks low on quality, LB is a major issue and I have no confidence in our starting GK. Defence has 2 new CB's and we have other signings that will/may take time to adapt.

Maybe Klopp has excellent plans and reasons why he wont upgrade/add but it will cost us over the season IMO. Yes there are many positives in our favour but as we all know, to seriously challenge the season needs to be near perfect and I just dont see what others are seeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So let's say we have 70 points and finish 5th but the team in 4th also has 70 points but a better go. You class that as a failure even though we met every realistic expectation?

Fans these days are very demanding and not realistic.

Chelsea city arsenal and united are all way richer than us. That's 4 teams. Not including west ham and spurs who can match us for potential finances.

So tell me why we should be a definite for top 4 ahead of those other 6?

Every year you set a target.

I would be almost certain that Klopp has set it as to reach top 4 at a minimum.
    Anything outside that then is a failure. It's very simple.

Also, why are you bringing money into it? Money does not guarantee success and Liverpool are not poor or have been shy of spending money.

I would never accept 5th or 6th as what our standard should be even though that's what it has been since 2009. That needs to change and I think Klopp is the man to change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

NukaCola wrote: »

By some peoples standard Benitez first season was a failure despite winning the CL, and I would bet some will still say it was a failure despite him laying down the groundwork and building his own squad and tactics for what was a very successful spell at LFC.

I personally think we'll do well this season, and I think we will challenge seriously for top 4, but this failure/success stuff is getting ridiculous and will ultimately lead to some calling for Klopps head unless he gets everything right......give him time and we'll be successful....but these first few seasons are a rebuilding job, and as much as I hate the term "rebuilding" thats what we've bought into with Klopp.

We have hired a manager for the long term who builds a successful team over time....and he'll need time.

I think it just depends who you're attributing failure to.

By any standards, 8th is not good enough for us.
    We're the 6th best team. If everyone plays to their level that's where we should be.

We were below our level last year, even as teams who should be our rivals were as well.

That doesn't mean Klopp failed in itself, because his brief wasn't to perform a miracle.
    The club as a whole did though.
    To me, trophies only count if you win them. For the club, no trophies and 8th is just crap any way you cut it.

But to go with that there's the future promise of trophies and moving in the right direction and that's down to believing generally in what Klopp's about.

There were still enough points on offer last season and we had a shot at 3 cups in one form or another so Klopp can't be said to have succeeded, but defining a new way of playing, sorting out who had to be kept and who needed to be discarded, planning for this summer's transfers and showing we can perform in big games were successes of a sort that will be fully legitimised if we take those steps and go on and win something.

Without knowing the future I don't think you can say the foundations laid in the last 9 months were successful, but if we do succeed then you can retroactively say we did things the right way with a greater degree of confidence.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement