Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Ah I see the butthurt is still strong from the few Rodgers brigade, getting their jabs in on Klopp whichever way they can - ignoring context, timeline and basic comprehension of what's happening in front of their eyes on and off the pitch.

They say they are behind the manager but their posts betray their true feelings every now and again. Fascinating stuff.

I have not seen much of this tbh, maybe the very odd one. There are also those who would rather believe people are butthurt than accept a genuine endorsement of Klopp from the "Rodgers Brigade" , 99% of people are 100% behind Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

By Wednesday we may have sold up to 16 players from the squad that finished last season and sent another handful out on loan.

That is a huge turnover of players with only 6 so far coming in.

Klopp did the same kind of clearout when he took over Dortmund it took two full seasons for him to build his squad and team I can see that is the kind of timeframe needed here as well he needs it too as he is rebuilding the club from the ground up after years in the wilderness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

No it's not directed at you.

It's pretty obvious who they are, they have caused headaches and turned the thread into farce on occasion in the past so much so that people like myself have had to stop quoting them out of respect to those who have them on ignore.

They are entitled to their opinion of course but lets not fool ourselves about where they are coming from.

Anyway , I'm not gonna derail this thread anymore with it. I'll let them at that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The positives are it hasn't clicked yet and Klopp is still working out his best combinations.

The worry is we're depending a lot on Can to solve our CM issues.

Plus everybody wanted LB addressed and our utility, jack of all trades player wasn't anybodies answer. The moaning will go on all season which is more frustrating!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

I have not seen much of this tbh, maybe the very odd one. There are also those who would rather believe people are butthurt than accept a genuine endorsement of Klopp from the "Rodgers Brigade" , 99% of people are 100% behind Klopp.

It's definitely rears up every now and again, especially after a disappointing performance. Funnily enough during our Euro run past yr, they were quiet enough with the digs. Anyway you're right, I think 99 percent are behind Klopp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

MD1990 wrote: »
    :confused: We have been selling players nearly every week this summer. Rodgers signings especially in attacking positions were terrible. Klopp has a clear philosophy & he is buying players suited to his style of play.
    Milner as an LB was superb on saturday & he was the stealness that is perfect to tighten up that area. CM is an issue but less so when Can is fully fit.

Players come and go. Can, Clyne, Milner, Origi...it's still mostly a Rodgers team.
    We've dithered back and forward since Suarez left but for me the real difference makers have been Firmino and now Mane. That's what we've missed the most.
    There's gaps of quality and age in our squad for direct attackers that were filled instead with the likes of Lallana and Markovic.

There was nothing wrong with signing players like that in general but we needed different kinds of footballers.
    That's why with Mane, I wasn't initially sold on his quality but at the very least he ticked the right boxes so even at that price I was happy to see him come in.

I'm fine with Milner in there in a pinch and I want him on the pitch in some capacity for games like Spurs. He's still not a LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Hopefully Can doesn't get a run out with the German games and can gain his fitness back in time for Leicester. Id prefer to see him start instead of Hendo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Has james pearce denied that the club has bid 30 million for the brazilian forward luan yet ?

Reports from brazil has said we have made a bid for the gremio forward

No it's not directed at you.

Sure tell us who it is directed at oh wise one ?
    It's pretty obvious who they are, they have caused headaches and turned the thread into farce on occasion in the past so much so that people like myself have had to stop quoting them out of respect to those who have them on ignore........

To be fair you've less than 400 posts in 6 years, you post very little, if you have to stop quoting out of respect what's the impact, 3 less posts a year or something. FFS you make it sound like we are losing out on weekly analysis.

Do folks share their ignore list with you so that you can be mindful to respect them? Laughable stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Surely at this point we should all accept there is no easy option. Let a manager who builds great sides build one here and stop being so negative about everything. Transfers, tactics etc its not football manager. Yes Klopp makes mistakes, and those are open to criticism but the way some go on you'd swear they were top coaches themselves.

• Advertisement

Where the **** is turtyturd? For some reason this has just reminded me of him. :p

Tactically banned according to himself iirc.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Surely at this point we should all accept there is no easy option.............

100%

5th/6th best squad in the PL will usually finish about there, you have to overachieve to better that.

I do think it's conceptually difficult to overachieve with Milner at LB but that accepted I reckon their are advantages to it. Don't know if the adv outweigh the disadvantages.

Conceptually I like not having a dedicated DM type player on the pitch :)

Conceptually I don't like our best striker not playing or being put on in the 88th minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Augeo wrote: »
    100%

5th/6th best squad in the PL will usually finish about there, you have to overachieve to better that.

I do think it's conceptually difficult to overachieve with Milner at LB but that accepted I reckon their are advantages to it. Don't know if the adv outweigh the disadvantages.

Conceptually I like not having a dedicated DM type player on the pitch :)

Conceptually I don't like our best striker not playing or being put on in the 88th minute.

I'd share those viewpoints, I'm not against criticism but since the Burnley defeat a kind of moany, spoilt child viewpoint has come into the thread where every little decision is criticised and every line in an interview points to a breakdown between manager and player......if its like this now I'd hate to see a poor run of games hit us. They'll call for him to be sacked I guarantee it.

The media run mad with some stuff, the Ingsy must get games thing, "I told Ingsy he must get games" or something to that effect, Ings in U23 starting team and media run with Ings is being shown the loan door.

The interviewers should be mindful that Klopp isn't a native English speaker but they seem to be quite the opposite.

Also camera's showing a seemingly p1ssed off Sturridge whenever Origi comes on or scores is just playing to the fncktard audience.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Should be back by now tho i think :P

GBX wrote: »
    Hopefully Can doesn't get a run out with the German games and can gain his fitness back in time for Leicester. Id prefer to see him start instead of Hendo.

A Hendo on form should be a good partner for Can, but this whole CM debate shows we don't have many options there at all.

A problem with the signings under Rodgers was "buy all the attackers", we've somehow ended up stacked in that area again! And still with lack of depth at LB and CM, probably RB as well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Surely at this point we should all accept there is no easy option. Let a manager who builds great sides build one here and stop being so negative about everything. Transfers, tactics etc its not football manager. Yes Klopp makes mistakes, and those are open to criticism but the way some go on you'd swear they were top coaches themselves.

It seems at times any criticism is seen as heresy.

I'd share those viewpoints, I'm not against criticism but since the Burnley defeat a kind of moany, spoilt child viewpoint has come into the thread where every little decision is criticised and every line in an interview points to a breakdown between manager and player......if its like this now I'd hate to see a poor run of games hit us. They'll call for him to be sacked I guarantee it.

That has always been there. The analysing of every single word and glance does my head in. Kilbane on off the ball was saying players rarely listen to post match interviews, probably loads of others as they are often mind numbingly boring. It's the stuff on the training ground that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

K-9 wrote: »
    A Hendo on form should be a good partner for Can, but this whole CM debate shows we don't have many options there at all.

A problem with the signings under Rodgers was "buy all the attackers", we've somehow ended up stacked in that area again! And still with lack of depth at LB and CM, probably RB as well.

We have plenty of options in CM. Hendo, Can, Wijnaldum and Grujic, Stewart, Lucas backup.

Also camera's showing a seemingly p1ssed off Sturridge whenever Origi comes on or scores is just playing to the fncktard audience.

He is pissed off tho, the media try to portray it as a negative reaction, which it isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

He is pissed off tho, the media try to portray it as a negative reaction, which it isn't.

The club can't pander to a players emotion at not being selected. We saw the negative impact trying to shoehorn a slowing Stevie G into the team had a couple of years ago and Utd are/will soon have the same issue with Rooney.

If Sturridges body isn't up to performing the role Klopp requires i.e. high tempo pressing then he shouldn't be picked regardless of how good a finisher he is. Tekkers was sold because he didn't fit Klopps strategy and never could, he's not built that way. Sturridge "should" be able to play the role when fully fit but as we all know his fitness can't be relied on and thankfully Klopp won't compromise and start him when he's less than 100% fit as that's no good for the team and no good for Sturridge either.

Away from home against the better teams Sturridge may well have to settle for a seat on the bench and a run out for the last 20-30 minutes but at home and when he's 100% fully fit he will probably start most games providing when picked he does the pressing job required.

The club can't pander to a players emotion at not being selected. We saw the negative impact trying to shoehorn a slowing Stevie G into the team had a couple of years ago and Utd are/will soon have the same issue with Rooney.

If Sturridges body isn't up to performing the role Klopp requires i.e. high tempo pressing then he shouldn't be picked regardless of how good a finisher he is. Tekkers was sold because he didn't fit Klopps strategy and never could, he's not built that way. Sturridge "should" be able to play the role when fully fit but as we all know his fitness can't be relied on and thankfully Klopp won't compromise and start him when he's less than 100% fit as that's no good for the team and no good for Sturridge either.

Away from home against the better teams Sturridge may well have to settle for a seat on the bench and a run out for the last 20-30 minutes but at home and when he's 100% fully fit he will probably start most games providing when picked he does the pressing job required.

I agree with all of that, I was simply suggesting a pissed off Sturridge is not a negative thing, it's exactly how you would want him to react, I would be much more concerned if he was sat on the bench with a smiley feckin head on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Where the **** is turtyturd? For some reason this has just reminded me of him. :p
    jonnycivic wrote: »
    Should be back by now tho i think :P

Let's see if we can summon him:

95txNMl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Loan watch 2016/17

J. Dunn Forward Morecambe
    Played 70 mins as No 10 in 2-3 win against Accrington Stanley - Morecambe who were generally considered relegation material are top of League Two.

R. Kent Winger Barnsley
    Full game and 4th goal in thrashing of Rotherham United

D. Ward Goalkeeper Huddersfield
    Played full game in 1-0 home win Wolves, making vital late save to secure victory, they remain top of Championship

R. Fulton Goalkeeper Chesterfield
    Full game in 3-1 defeat to Milwall, after a good start to the season the Spireites are now midtable.

L. Jones Centre back Swindon
    match abandoned v Bristol Rovers due to weather

Allan Midfielder Hertha Berlin
    On bench unused sub in 2-1 home against Freiburg

J. Flannagan Full back Burnley
    Not in match squad for Chelsea defeat

T. Awoniyi Stiker NEC Nijmegen
    Not in squad

S. Hart Left Back Port Vale
    Came on for last 10 minutes in 3-1 home win

Obviously I don't actually see every game (no really, I don't!) but it seems that this crop of loans who are established in their sides are being pretty productive with goals, saves and MOTM awards.

I agree with all of that, I was simply suggesting a pissed off Sturridge is not a negative thing, it's exactly how you would want him to react, I would be much more concerned if he was sat on the bench with a smiley feckin head on him.
    And I agreed with you ;)

Good article on Sturridge here http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/liverpool/liverpool-were-patient-waiting-for-daniel-sturridge-now-its-his-turn-to-be-considerate-35003972.html

It basically says three things:-

1. The club have been very patient with Sturridge nursing him through numerous injuries so he now needs to be patient with the club if he isn't getting selected as much as he'd like.

2. The fact Klopp won't play Sturridge unless he is fit and that he's now only one of (even if the best) of several attacking options shows things at Liverpool are much healthier than they have been for a long time.

3. Sturridge must adapt to the system Klopp wants to play rather than the team adapting to how Sturridge can play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Loan watch 2016/17

Allan is getting no love at Hertha. I wonder have they any intention of playing him at all? Someone said that he was there to get a work permit?

Flanagan not getting a look in at Burnley? He must be super pissed off. He was basically first choice RB when we almost won the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

So who's going out on loan or to be sold from the remaining squad before close of business on Wednesday?

Balotelli?
    Ings?
    Sakho?
    Markovic?
    Alberto?
    Wisdom?
    Llori?
    Randall?
    Stewart?
    emmetkenny wrote: »

Markovic I feel was never given a proper run in the team playing as a winger and I believe that he should have been given that opportunity. To me it looked like he struggled to settle in England and maybe wants out himself to return home or back to Portugal.

Markovic is clearly not in the manager's plans. I don't know how anyone can think he is after he didn't even make the bench for the Burton game.

The whole 'he needs a run of games' thing puts me in mind of Ryan Babel - another player who arrived highly touted and showed flashes of brilliance without doing enough, but who had his champions suggesting he needed to be started to show what he could do. Like Babel, Markovic hasn't become an average player because of not getting games, he's not getting games because he's an average player. He'll go as soon as someone makes a decent bid, just like Ilori, Wisdom, etc.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Flanagan not getting a look in at Burnley? He must be super pissed off. He was basically first choice RB when we almost won the league.

He made his debut for them Wednesday night in the League Cup loss to Acrington Stanley and was left out of the PL squad on Saturday by agreement with LFC, see http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/08/loan-watch-jon-flanagan-features-burnley-suffer-league-cup-loss-accrington-stanley/

Looks like they don't want to risk his fitness and will ease him in which is good.

It also looks like they are going to play him left back for the season which may help explain why Klopp is so reluctant to buy a left back. He can give himself a chance to coach the mistakes out of Moreno whilst having temporary cover from Milner and Klavan and the possibility of a decent left back returning to the squad next year.

Possible?

He made his debut for them Wednesday night in the League Cup loss to Acrington Stanley and was left out of the PL squad on Saturday by agreement with LFC, see http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/08/loan-watch-jon-flanagan-features-burnley-suffer-league-cup-loss-accrington-stanley/

Looks like they don't want to risk his fitness and will ease him in which is good.

It also looks like they are going to play him left back for the season which may help explain why Klopp is so reluctant to buy a left back. He can give himself a chance to coach the mistakes out of Moreno whilst having temporary cover from Milner and Klavan and the possibility of a decent left back returning to the squad next year.

Possible?

Probably. Clearly we've looked as some younger specialist LBs this summer which ads up when you consider the above. Stewart and Gomez can also play LB but I wish he'd be a bit more pragmatic about it and just sign a senior LB.

• Advertisement

........... may help explain why Klopp is so reluctant to buy a left back. He can give himself a chance to coach the mistakes out of Moreno whilst having temporary cover from Milner and Klavan and the possibility of a decent left back returning to the squad next year.

Possible?

Possible indeed but seems a high risk strategy. Could cost a PL place or two, or a cup win etc etc this season.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Probably. Clearly we've looked as some younger specialist LBs this summer which ads up when you consider the above. Stewart and Gomez can also play LB but I wish he'd be a bit more pragmatic about it and just sign a senior LB.

Looking like LB is Milners for the foreseeable, to be fair he was very good there on Saturday and likely will improve with more games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Looks like sakho may be staying as reports are saying he turned down a loan move to stoke. Delighted if he stays

Possible indeed but seems a high risk strategy. Could cost a PL place or two, or a cup win etc etc this season.

Or maybe Klopp just sees that with some more coaching Moreno could be a really talented LB and he thinks bringing in a senior specialist LB would send the wrong signal so Klopp is in fact double downing on Moreno and has told him he'll work with him this year to iron out his weaknesses but in exchange he has to accept for certain games Milner will play LB but that ultimately if their program is successful the LB spot will be his long term with Flanno coming back as cover for both FB positions?

Am I wearing a tin hat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

ricero wrote: »
    Looks like sakho may be staying as reports are saying he turned down a loan move to stoke. Delighted if he stays

Do ya think Klopp will consider him to play if he does stay then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Looking like LB is Milners for the foreseeable, to be fair he was very good there on Saturday and likely will improve with more games.

He was good but he's no left back. He kept getting caught out with the ball over the top and eventually it paid off for them. We surely have a sizeable amount left in the kitty to go and buy a proper f*cking decent left back. Hopefully something will happen there before the window shuts.

• Advertisement

Gremio's president has apparently denied they've had any approach for Luan.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Gremio's president has apparently denied they've had any approach for Luan.

1. Gremio/Player agent tell press they received a big offer from a high profile club.
    2. Rumour spreads, people start talking about him.
    3. Gremio then say they didn't receive an offer.
    4. Rumours then start that he is linked elsewhere, possibly for January and that Liverpool are missing out.

All that is great, but Liverpool were never part of this in reality at all. We are at step 3 now.

Am I wearing a tin hat?

That's all very plausible.
    I'm not at all anti-Moreno, it's just if Milner is preferred to him that suggests confidence in Moreno isn't great as I don't reckon Milner should be able to oust a proper LB from a PL team with ambition to contest Top4.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I very much doubt that Klopp isn't buying a left back because he thinks Flanagan might be good enough next year. I'd almost go as far as to say that the possibility is absolutely preposterous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think its better to keep an even keel and be more critical the better things get and vice versa.
    Whether most things are going well or badly, there's not much you can say about that.

Looking at the faults in a generally healthy club going in the right direction or looking for green shoots of growth when things are going badly is perhaps a more fruitful avenue for discussion than everyone just saying how **** or amazing things are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

ricero wrote: »

Seemed mad to me to let him go. Him, Matip and Klavan have all had knocks already. Matip according to Klopp was only 75% fit for the Spurs game but had to play because Klavan picked up an injury. We need 4 centre-halves as one of them is nearly always going to be carrying some kind of injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Or maybe Klopp just sees that with some more coaching Moreno could be a really talented LB

Normally I would think most players can improve with top quality coaching but they have to have a functioning brain first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Not buying a left back is reckless. If funds are available and it's the manager's decision then it's easy to say that it's his mistake. And he'll pay for it over the course of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/770263126201729024?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

12.5 - Adam Lallana ran 12.5km in the match against Spurs, the most ground covered by any PL player in a game this season. Energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

5starpool wrote: »
    I very much doubt that Klopp isn't buying a left back because he thinks Flanagan might be good enough next year. I'd almost go as far as to say that the possibility is absolutely preposterous.

Maybe I'm alone here, but I reckon we won't ever see Flanagan in a Liverpool shirt again. I loved his commitment and he really excelled for one season, but he has missed two full seasons since. He will turn 24 in January, and has just one season of football under his belt - 23 games in 2013/14. In all competitions, he has played 50 games in his entire career.

I reckon Klopp took the time to assess all of these factors and decided it is very unlikely that he will be first team material. Give him a season at Burnley to try and prove it - if he settles and kicks on, then great, he'll come back from his loan and play. If not, well...?

The fact that the club has publicly pursued Ben Chilwell should at least be an acknowledgement that they (Klopp, transfer committee, whoever) are aware that we are at least short in numbers at left back. Yet they still allowed Flanagan (and Smith) to leave, so I would think that is not a good sign.

Leaving ourselves with just one recognised left back and a utility player is just naive IMO, regardless of whether Klopp thinks Moreno can be saved, or that Milner is our Philip Lahm. It's asking for trouble.

I also think having Randall as our RB cover, and alienating one of just 4 senior CBs (all of whom are injury prone it seems!) is going to be an issue. I'm not trying to come across as a stream of negativity here, but our defence leaves a bit to be desired. We were never going to sign 10+ players in one window and see them all settle and play, but it certainly feels like we concentrated more efforts on one end of the field than the other.

Flanno's new deal was probably done for the same reason as Mignolet's and Wisdom's in recent times, i.e. to either tie them down as squad players or to make sure the club gets the maximum fee when moving them on. His loan deal gets him regular games (you would hope) while putting him in the shop window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

mosstin wrote: »
    I really wish he'd run less and think more.

Have you watched our games? it is the chasing down and off-ball running of him, Firmino and Mane that is the core of our attack. Lallana has been excellent throughout...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

5starpool wrote: »

More likely he is looking at Gomez and Alexander-Arnold as back-ups for now at least, and maybe looking outside the club for longer term...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Dickerty wrote: »
    Have you watched our games? it is the chasing down and off-ball running of him, Firmino and Mane that is the core of our attack. Lallana has been excellent throughout...

Lallana has been busy and occasionally effective but he's several notches below excellent. Have you watched our games?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement