Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

I am disappointed. Champions League experience would have been wonderful for Wisdom to get.

Guidance from Toure too, wouldn't have been a bad move at all.

No EL for us is the reason the "deadwood" is being shifted, we don't need a big squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

murpho999 wrote: »
    Well that's why he's the manager and the rest of the world isn't.

Klopp is not stupid so he must have some idea of what he's doing.

Must have and everything will be fine.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I am disappointed. Champions League experience would have been wonderful for Wisdom to get.

Makes no difference. Wisdom will not make the grade for us. I don't think he will ever play a meaningful game for us again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Grayditch wrote: »
    Must have and everything will be fine.

What I mean is that Klopp is not stupid enough to go through a season with a major weakness that has not been tackled. He must be happy with what he has at hand or it means that FSG have really clamped down on the transfer budget which I can't imagine as they have made a lot of money this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,104 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Apparently it was more than loan bids we turned down for Ings, and a club indicated they would pay £20m but we still said no...

There might be a bit of politics for want of a better word with Moreno, transfer committee members might not be liking the idea of him being 3rd choice / surplus to requirements behind AN Other and Milner for LB.

Markovic also isn't being shoved out the door, Sakho digging his heels in refusing a loan move to regain form & fitness, seems looney unless he reckons someone in the club is in his corner.

You never know.

Klopp no doubt manages the team but he certainly doesn't run the club, that's very much FSG.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Apparently it was more than loan bids we turned down for Ings, and a club indicated they would pay £20m but we still said no...

http://www.espnfc.com/story/2940477/liverpool-rejected-danny-ings-offers-from-eight-premier-league-clubs-source

"One club even indicated that they would be willing to pay in excess of £20 million for Ings, the source added"

It's good to see we are seemingly mindful that this season is quite likely a rare season out of Europe and the likes of Ings is well worth keeping. I do hope to see him get a share of games and sub appearances this season, he didn't seem fazed at all by being here the games he played under Rodgers.

Definitely has something about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Augeo wrote: »
    http://www.espnfc.com/story/2940477/liverpool-rejected-danny-ings-offers-from-eight-premier-league-clubs-source

"One club even indicated that they would be willing to pay in excess of £20 million for Ings, the source added"

It's good to see we are seemingly mindful that this season is quite likely a rare season out of Europe and the likes of Ings is well worth keeping. I do hope to see him get a share of games and sub appearances this season, he didn't seem fazed at all by being here the games he played under Rodgers.

Definitely has something about him.

I dont believe for a second that anyone was willing to pay £20m for Danny Ings but if they were then we are idiots for not accepting it. He will be a squad player for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

gafferino wrote: »
    I dont believe for a second that anyone was willing to pay £20m for Danny Ings but if they were then we are idiots for not accepting it. He will be a squad player for us.

I'd believe it. In the current market, even average players are going for £15m+ (see: Ibe, Jordon).

Factoring in that he is English, under a long-term contract and that the club never indicated that he would be available for sale, it would take a bid of that size to even start a negotiation tbh.

There are 10+ teams who could do with adding to their striking options in the league (more earlier in the summer) so it's entirely plausible IMO.

I think Ings has the tools to do very well here, just a matter of whether he has the fitness and will get the opportunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

20mil is what a squad player costs us these days, though, so what's the point in taking 20 mil for him now. A bog standard striker to replace him will cost that and more.

• Advertisement

No offence to Danny Ings but £20m doesn't buy much striker under a 3 year contract so as mentioned it'd take that much at least before we should consider selling him if he looks to be recovered from his injury.

This time next year we could be in the CL or at least the EL so we would need to get at least another striker in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

When all our strikers inevitably become injured, subbing a wheelbarrow of cash onto the pitch isn't really an option.

I'm glad he's staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Ah I know the market is inflated but we got him for 6m or something after 1 season in the premiership. He then suffered a catastrophic injury that kept him out for an entire season. Id be shocked if someone would pay £20m for an unproven player (at premiership level) who may not get back to the level he was at. I aint buying it.

............ no one is claiming it's fact I suppose :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

We don't actually need the money for Ings, though. Worth keeping him around if he's happy to stay and fight for his game.

Now, if it we were short 15-20m to buy that illusive left back, I'd wish him well, but we have the money regardless. Seems Klopp and the club just don't want to spend it, or don't see anyone worthwhile or realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

So if we are rejecting £20M for Ings, it proves that we don't really care about the money right now.
    He's a good influence in the squad, knows he'll get chances (and take them) and is likely to be patient (like Lucas, Klavan, Grujic I suspect), just want you need from a squad player.

He's the anti-Sakho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Id be shocked if someone would pay £20m for an unproven player (at premiership level) who may not get back to the level he was at. I aint buying it.

Selfie or GTFO ;)

Knex. wrote: »
    Now, if it we were short 15-20m to buy that illusive left back, I'd wish him well, but we have the money regardless. Seems Klopp and the club just don't want to spend it, or don't see anyone worthwhile or realistic.

I think it is very much that he doesn't see a player he likes enough, or cannot attract them without CL footie? So he's willing to make do instead of signing the wrong player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Ah I know the market is inflated but we got him for 6m or something after 1 season in the premiership. He then suffered a catastrophic injury that kept him out for an entire season. Id be shocked if someone would pay £20m for an unproven player (at premiership level) who may not get back to the level he was at. I aint buying it.

He scored 11 goals in 35 league matches when Burnley were last in the PL. That's far more PL proven than, say, Janssen who Spurs paid almost the same price for.

• Advertisement

We paid £6 million for an out-of-contract player through a tribunal. Spurs had offered more than £10 million for him beforehand too, hadn't they?

It's not like we offered £6m for a player with 5 years on his contract - Ings had a great first season in the PL for Burnley, he wouldn't have been available for that little if his contract hadn't run down.

EDIT: Spurs bid £12m, allegedly. http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11675/9866954/tottenhams-12m-bid-for-danny-ings-explained

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

What's taking Gomez so long to get back? Did he not get the same injury as Ings at the same time yet Ings is back over a month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What's taking Gomez so long to get back? Did he not get the same injury as Ings at the same time yet Ings is back over a month?

Then he got injured again in pre-season.

Himself and Sakho have the same injury and both are due back mid September.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Then he got injured again in pre-season.

Himself and Sakho have the same injury and both are due back mid September.

Gomez will need a hell of a lot more of a build up to fitness though, and probably won't be ready to do more than play a bit of u-23 type games before the new year, even if he has no further setbacks.

5starpool wrote: »
    Gomez will need a hell of a lot more of a build up to fitness though, and probably won't be ready to do more than play a bit of u-23 type games before the new year, even if he has no further setbacks.

I hope they use him at CB exclusively, no legging it up and down the wings, just let him get back to the pace of the game...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-tell-sakho-you-go-11817963

Sakho told he has to go on loan to save his Liverpool career apparently. Klopp wants him to prove his 'professionalism and fitness'.

No quotes in there, but Pearce has been spot on with the Sakho stuff the whole way through so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    This is a simplistic way of looking at it, as if all game plans will go as normal. The reality is that every attack will be directed at that area because its our clear weak link. Rather than the norm, we'll see whoever is the trickiest/quickest player the opposition has moved to exploit the weakness. Even just under normal circumstances, I'd fancy, Leicester, Chelsea, and ManU to tear at us time and time again with a lot of success down that side.
    Football is a simple game played by 11 players on each team. It's not going to be Milner vs overloading every game. We have an attacking threat of our own which will prevent most teams for pushing up too far against our defence because they know how quickly we can counter attack.

In order for the right winger to be a problem they have to receive the ball. The way our team is setup, the advanced players close down the passing options. Ultimately the winger is forced deeper to receive the ball and in so doing face more than just the left back when in possession.

As I said before, if the left back is repeatedly isolated/overloaded then the rest of the team is not working - The team defends as a compact unit.

Who in the Leicester team do you fear?

Man Utd play Valencia as a right full back. He was a right winger when he played for Villarreal, he was a right winger at Wigan and also when he signed for Man Utd. Do Man Utd fans fret about his ability to defend? I know several Man Utd fans and I've never known them to worry about him even when he started in the position. Juan Mata plays in front of him and he's not exactly renowned for his work rate or defensive abilities.

Chelsea favour attacking on the left side - it makes sense because that's where Hazard plays. A stat I saw recently showed 40% of their attacking play this season went down the left through Hazard. Moving Hazard to the right will disrupt their balance. When we played them in pre-season they were more focussed on containing our players than attempting to play football. It that is the mindset they approach the next game with then the left back has little to fear.

You can spend all the time in the world worrying about what the opposition team can do to you or you could focus on how your team can exploit theirs. You can never completely nullify every threat without curbing your own chances of exploiting the opposition. I get that people have concerns about not having a proper left back in the team, but it should be kept in mind that Klopp utilises full backs as wingers. What ever player is chosen to play the position, they can get caught out of position if the team lose possession through a misplaced pass.

Milner should be given some credit - he's not some brainless eejit that dives into tackles recklessly, nor is he repeatedly made a fool of. Yes he's learning the defensive element of the position and he will make mistakes, but if the forwards are scoring goals then any defensive mistakes from the left back in training should have little impact on the result of games.

It's also worth remembering that at Dortmund, Klopp converted two attacking players to full backs. Erik Durm went from beings a striker to a left back and Lukasz Piszczek was converted from a winger/forward to a right back. Maybe the manager knows what he's doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Grayditch wrote: »
    When all our strikers inevitably become injured, subbing a wheelbarrow of cash onto the pitch isn't really an option.

Though a better option than subbing on Balotelli at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

8-10 wrote: »
    Though a better option than subbing on Balotelli at least

Yeah at least the wheel-barrow won't keep running off-side every 2 minutes

Sakho told he has to go on loan to save his Liverpool career apparently. Klopp wants him to prove his 'professionalism and fitness'.

No quotes in there, but Pearce has been spot on with the Sakho stuff the whole way through so far.

He must be a disaster to deal with behind the scenes. Mention of professionalism suggests there's a lack of it at times.

Fingers crossed he gets his sh1t together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-tell-sakho-you-go-11817963

I'd rather not be left with three centre-halves when two of them have already picked up knocks this season. Gomez is a long way from match sharpness to be considered a realistic option this side of Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'd rather not be left with three centre-halves when two of them have already picked up knocks this season. Gomez is a long way from match sharpness to be considered a realistic option this side of Christmas.

Worth noting that 1 of our first choice centre backs might go to the African Nations Cup after Christmas - he's not being picked at the moment after declining a callup earlier this year but I'd imagine if he plays well he'd be considered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I think if Sakho accepts the loan then he's finished at lfc, the only chance he has is to stay and try and force his way into the team, even though this may initially anger Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

What's stopping him from doing so at Liverpool, though?

Melissa Reddy is saying Markovic open to moving to Newcastle.

The championship would toughen him up that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

The championship would break him.

Melissa Reddy is saying Markovic open to moving to Newcastle.

The championship would toughen him up that's for sure.

Looks like a perm move for £16M? I am sure he looks at it as a year of definite first team football, then back to the prem, and under a manager of some distinction. Brave move!

I think if Sakho accepts the loan then he's finished at lfc, the only chance he has is to stay and try and force his way into the team, even though this may initially anger Klopp.

I reckon you might be right. Risky either way........

1) Klopp tells him to go out on loan, he does and as Klopp remembers all too well what went on (whatever that was) than he's sold.

2) He stays, Klopp puts him training with U23s or on his own, even if our first choice CBs are unavailable Klopp goes with Klavan, Gomez or Lucas leaving Sakho where he is.

3) He stays, trains with U23s, shows diligence and professionalism, reunited with first team and trains/plays his way back into the reckoning.

I'd say we're most likely looking at 1) or 2) going to pan out.
    Dickerty wrote: »
    Looks like a perm move for £16M? I am sure he looks at it as a year of definite first team football, then back to the prem, and under a manager of some distinction. Brave move!

If Rafa fancies Markovic to ply his trade at Newcastle in the Championship that's certainly a very strong vote of confidence for the lad. You'd struggle to see LFC refusing £16m for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Knex. wrote: »
    What's stopping him from doing so at Liverpool, though?

Klopp obviously wants him gone but the club probably realise that Sakho is very popular with the fans. Hence this prove your professionalism somewhere else nonsense and you can come back. Once he goes I don't think he'll ever be back. Unless it's to be sold immediately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Jesus wept....£32m for Markovic and Ibe :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The kids new bionic arm looks like it has magnetic control over the ball :)

thumb_26470_default_news_size_5.jpeg

• Advertisement

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Jesus wept....£32m for Markovic and Ibe :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

£45M if you include Allen! Or £77M with Benteke!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'll regard that as money back for when they mugged us for Andy Carroll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Rebel's posts nailed it for me.

We were all screaming for at least an upgrade on Moreno in May, Milner isn't it. Saying we're fine is just acceptance of failing to get a good LB.

Fair enough we have to trust Klopp but we all had LB and goalie in the top 2 necessities (not wishes) in May. I'm just dreading thinking we should have bought a LB in 10 matches this season, and 50 posts on here after every, defeat or draw.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

...........I'm just dreading thinking we should have bought a LB in 10 matches this season, and 50 posts on here after every, defeat or draw.

I propose that no one mentions purchasing a LB from the closure of this transfer window until the opening of the next.

We've all had our say on Milner, Moreno etc and no one wants to be reading we need to buy a LB in January for the next 4 months :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

saw this on twitter

"LFC are £0.25million away from having the lowest net spend in the league this summer."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

ricero wrote: »
    saw this on twitter

"LFC are £0.25million away from having the lowest net spend in the league this summer."

Any reason not to link to it so we can see what sort of tool credible journalist or ITK wrote the tweet?

K-9 wrote: »
    Fair enough we have to trust Klopp but we all had LB and goalie in the top 2 necessities (not wishes) in May. I'm just dreading thinking we should have bought a LB in 10 matches this season, and 50 posts on here after every, defeat or draw.

And we address GK. And you don't need to worry about LB, that's Klopp's job. And Milner has played the last two, and no issues - the last goal came from RB, so should we worry about Clyne instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

And we address GK. And you don't need to worry about LB, that's Klopp's job. And Milner has played the last two, and no issues - the last goal came from RB, so should we worry about Clyne instead?

This is clearly bull**** and Klopp's aware of it also given his fruitless pursuit of Chilwell this summer. On top of that, Moreno - who started and was exposed again versus Arsenal - has sat out the last two PL matches so our one specialist LB isn't trusted to start and Milner, who's no left back but is an excellent pro is being shoehorned into the position due to Moreno's chronic shortcomings.
    Just because we haven't signed a LB doesn't mean that we aren't actively seeking to replace Moreno. If not this summer then probably January.
    It's been a problem position for quite some time now and posters have pointed that out so I don't understand the - no pun intended - defensiveness when someone highlights it as a concern.

It's a pity really as we did well getting Clyne in to replace Johnson. If Moreno learned from his mistakes or was better to start with we'd be in decent shape.

To be fair to the chap he's tremendous workrate wise and doesn't seem to pick up too many knocks. He consistently puts in a great shift from certain perspectives :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

K-9 wrote: »
    Rebel's posts nailed it for me.

We were all screaming for at least an upgrade on Moreno in May, Milner isn't it. Saying we're fine is just acceptance of failing to get a good LB.

Please name the good left backs we failed to get. From what I read we didn't target any.

Ben Chilwell (19) of Leicester, spent 3 months on loan at Huddersfield last season. Huddersfield are managed by David Wagner, a personal friend of Jurgen Klopp. The Huddersfield manager recommended the player as a talent for the future, Leicester refused an offer of £7M.

Andy Robertson (22) of Hull, was thought to be an alternative target by the Metro and all of a sudden Liverpool fans were swallowing the speculation.

Charlie Taylor (22) of Leeds Utd, handed in a transfer request. Media reaction : Liverpool want him.

Jordan Amavi (22) of Aston Villa, was regarded by the media as a possible signing.

The tabloids and the likes of TalkSport have been quite happy to spin stories about transfer speculation. A representative from Koln said that the only transfer offer they received for Jonas Hector this summer was from Barcelona, yet the British media would have you believe both Liverpool and Tottenham were willing to bid £22M but not £25M on the player.

Juan Manuel Garcia (19) was signed after a 10 day trial at the beginning of August.

I'm open to correction but as far as I am aware Chilwell is the only left back we made an offer for, we signed a former Barcelona youth player for free and everything else has been press speculation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement