Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Talisman wrote: »
    Please name the good left backs we failed to get. From what I read we didn't target any.

Ben Chilwell (19) of Leicester, spent 3 months on loan at Huddersfield last season. Huddersfield are managed by David Wagner, a personal friend of Jurgen Klopp. The Huddersfield manager recommended the player as a talent for the future, Leicester refused an offer of £7M.

Andy Robertson (22) of Hull, was thought to be an alternative target by the Metro and all of a sudden Liverpool fans were swallowing the speculation.

Charlie Taylor (22) of Leeds Utd, handed in a transfer request. Media reaction : Liverpool want him.

Jordan Amavi (22) of Aston Villa, was regarded by the media as a possible signing.

The tabloids and the likes of TalkSport have been quite happy to spin stories about transfer speculation. A representative from Koln said that the only transfer offer they received for Jonas Hector this summer was from Barcelona, yet the British media would have you believe both Liverpool and Tottenham were willing to bid £22M but not £25M on the player.

Juan Manuel Garcia (19) was signed after a 10 day trial at the beginning of August.

I'm open to correction but as far as I am aware Chilwell is the only left back we made an offer for, we signed a former Barcelona youth player for free and everything else has been press speculation.

Given the speculation you've listed there, where did you then definitively read that we didn't target any?

Please name the good left backs we failed to get. From what I read we didn't target any.............

If you don't target any than you don't get any. Folks perhaps deem not targeting one as failure in itself if they reckon LB is a problem that should be fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Augeo wrote: »
    If you don't target any than you don't get any. Folks perhaps deem not targeting one as failure in itself if they reckon LB is a problem that should be fixed.

I reckon if you had asked at the start of the summer, most Liverpool fans would have said that GK, LB and a winger were the main issues that had to be fixed. Ask me to fix just one, I would have struggled to pick between GK and LB.

The fact that we are likely to start our next game with James Milner and Alberto Moreno as our LBs is nothing less than disappointing, as a result.

What I find shocking is that questioning the decisions is seen as such an issue by some fans. Why can't we ask the question about our LB? Klopp, like every other manager, isn't infallible and we are short in defence.

Worse still, we look set to be even shorter if Sakho goes as expected now. Would anyone be happy starting the season in this state?

RB: Clyne, Randall
    CB: Matip (who will be gone for a month for AFCON)
    CB: Lovren, Klavan
    LB: Milner, Moreno

I'm leaving out Gomez because I don't think he will feature until after Christmas at best due to his injuries, and Ilori because I presume he is leaving too.

Perhaps Klopp has absolute faith in these guys and, sure, that's fine. I'm not comfortable being so short in these roles though.

What I find shocking is that questioning the decisions is seen as such an issue by some fans. Why can't we ask the question about our LB? Klopp, like every other manager, isn't infallible and we are short in defence.

Worse still, we look set to be even shorter if Sakho goes as expected now. Would anyone be happy starting the season in this state?

RB: Clyne, Randall
    CB: Matip (who will be gone for a month for AFCON)
    CB: Lovren, Klavan
    LB: Milner, Moreno...................

His CV etc, achievement at BD make him unquestionable by some.
    I'll personally judge him by his achievements at LFC in due course.

I stated that LVG was "dim and clueless" in the Utd thread and was laughed out of the place due to his previous achievement and CV. I was of course referring to the LVG that was struggling at MUFC.

Reputation and past achievement only gets you so far, the defensive resources you detail above don't look deep enough to cut the mustard but with luck regarding injuries & suspensions we might well be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

mosstin wrote: »
    Given the speculation you've listed there, where did you then definitively read that we didn't target any?
    It's not like the media outlets to have a habit of making up stories regarding the club or transfer targets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Any reason not to link to it so we can see what sort of tool credible journalist or ITK wrote the tweet?

Take out a calculator that should be credible enough for you.

His CV etc, achievement at BD make him unquestionable by some.
    I'll personally judge him by his achievements at LFC in due course.

I stated that LVG was "dim and clueless" in the Utd thread and was laughed out of the place due to his previous achievement and CV. I was of course referring to the LVG that was struggling at MUFC.

Reputation and past achievement only gets you so far, the defensive resources you detail above don't look deep enough to cut the mustard but with luck regarding injuries & suspensions we might well be ok.
    Funny given your support of Rodgers this time last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jim White who is wet with anticipation sez Balotelli on loan to Nice. Why not just cancel his contract? It's only got 12 months left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

We're going to be bedding a centerhalf and a keeper into a new back four, neither of whom have ever played under Klopp before. Add another player to that and you're creating even more instability in the first few months. I can see the logic in going with Moreno and Milner for this season and then bringing in someone like Chilwell a year later when the back four "should" be a lot more stable.

Thats not to say I don't want us to sign a left back, i do, but i can see plenty of reasons why we're not. Especially if there's nobody available who fits what Klopp wants for a price he's willing to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looks like Sakho is off to Sunderland on loan for the season.

Also it looks like the club don't want to sell him.

https://twitter.com/DominicKing_DM/status/770589800273510400
    Story on Sakho: West Brom would have been prepared to pay £20m to take him if @LFC had shown inclination to sell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    We're going to be bedding a centerhalf and a keeper into a new back four, neither of whom have ever played under Klopp before. Add another player to that and you're creating even more instability in the first few months. I can see the logic in going with Moreno and Milner for this season and then bringing in someone like Chilwell a year later when the back four "should" be a lot more stable.

Thats not to say I don't want us to sign a left back, i do, but i can see plenty of reasons why we're not. Especially if there's nobody available who fits what Klopp wants for a price he's willing to pay.

I can see the argument you're making, but on the other hand, we've ended up with instability at LB regardless.

corwill wrote: »
    I can see the argument you're making, but on the other hand, we've ended up with instability at LB regardless.

We're only 3 games into the season. We made two cup finals with the left back options we had with instability all around the position (sakho issues, Mignolet etc) I think we'll be ok with M n M as our options for this year.

I still think you can coach Moreno up, he has such amazing physical ability.

I still think you can coach Moreno up, he has such amazing physical ability.

So does Arpege D’Alene, and would be more intelligent and coachable.

There is no point in buying a LB for the sake of having a LB that can't do what the manager wants him to do.

I would imagine they just can't find the one they want or can't afford the one they want or the one they want won't come without European football.

Funny given your support of Rodgers this time last year.

Rodger's achievements at LFC were decent.

If that's all you can come up with I'm thinking there's significant merit to my post :)

People are now coming around to the acceptance that we have the 5th/6th best squad in the PL and should finish there or thereabouts, I knew and accepted that when Rodgers was in charge and when he was sacked.

After 8 games we had 1.5 ppg under Rodgers last season, minimal improvement was seen under Klopp over the remaining 30 games. The defence to that is he gambled on winning the EL, that's a decision he made that didn't pay off and thus we have no Europe. The bonus to that is less games, this season we should finish 5th/6th all going well / not going too badly / not overachieving. Time will tell.

Hi Stevie G :) Hi Brendan so what's up?

Well Steven I know we need a striker so I bought Mario!

We did too much of buying players for the sake of filling positions.

Hi Stevie G :) Hi Brendan so what's up?

Well Steven I know we need a striker so I bought Mario!

We did too much of buying players for the sake of filling positions.

I think you are forgetting it was Mario or nothing.
    You seem to forget any negative effect that can be attributed in anyway to members of the transfer committee that aren't Rodgers.

I suppose Rodgers really wanted Markovic too, and Moreno for that matter. Nope to both. Can't win 'em all ;)

Klopp seems to share Rodger's view on Markovic, Moreno to a large degree and also has had issues with Sakho. Coupled with not being mad about the idea of a DM they aren't all that different as coaches in many ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Clynes form is a bit of a concern, since not starting in the euros he has been doing his best Kyle Walker impression and has been sh1t

200.gif

Klopp seems to share Rodger's view on Markovic, Moreno to a large degree and also has had issues with Sakho. Coupled with not being mad about the idea of a DM they aren't all that different as coaches in many ways.

Apart from the fact that one of them has a successful track record and the other hasn't

I'd say they are pretty dissimilar

• Advertisement

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Apart from the fact that one of them has a successful track record and the other hasn't

I'd say they are pretty dissimilar

Reputation and past achievement only gets you so far (I said that earlier too but I'll repeat).

Ask LVG if you don't believe me.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Clynes form is a bit of a concern, since not starting in the euros he has been doing his best Kyle Walker impression and has been sh1t

He set up two goals against Arsenal and he was decent at the weekend. You could maybe fault him for the goal but overall he played really well I thought. The only game he was really poor in was the Burnley game but everyone was.

Reputation and past achievement only gets you so far (I said that earlier too but I'll repeat).

Ask LVG if you don't believe me.

And if here for as long as Rogers was and is as unsuccessful then he will get the same stick

Lvg got more leeway than moyes because of his prior achievements, that's life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Dickerty wrote: »
    And we address GK. And you don't need to worry about LB, that's Klopp's job. And Milner has played the last two, and no issues - the last goal came from RB, so should we worry about Clyne instead?

Milner was directly at fault for the goal...first and primary job of a fullback is to stop the cross. He was in no mans land when the ball was played into the corner, and then not only didn't block the cross, but didn't even cause any trouble at all to the crosser. If he's on his man, there's no goal.
    https://youtu.be/aOp2Kc0XteE?t=3m34s

So he's not great with defensive instincts...can't really blame him, he's literally never played left back in his entire career before.
    In order for the right winger to be a problem they have to receive the ball. The way our team is setup, the advanced players close down the passing options. Ultimately the winger is forced deeper to receive the ball and in so doing face more than just the left back when in possession.

As I said before, if the left back is repeatedly isolated/overloaded then the rest of the team is not working - The team defends as a compact unit.
    Well, except when they don't, and we're left scampering backwards...again take a gander at Milner in the clip above.

I would love if it were as simple as that, but it obviously isn't - just look at the goals we've conceded from over the past year...so many of them come from the high press failing, and then acres of space being left in behind. We can't just pretend that doesn't happen...and a big part of the reason it happens is because the defensive instincts of our centre midfielders and full backs aren't up to scratch. Like, Clyne is the only one of those 4 vital positions that is naturally defensive.
    Who in the Leicester team do you fear?
    Mahrez and Vardy...the best two attackers in the league last season, and the guys who between them got 2 goals and an assist the last time we played them.
    Man Utd play Valencia as a right full back. He was a right winger when he played for Villarreal, he was a right winger at Wigan and also when he signed for Man Utd. Do Man Utd fans fret about his ability to defend? I know several Man Utd fans and I've never known them to worry about him even when he started in the position. Juan Mata plays in front of him and he's not exactly renowned for his work rate or defensive abilities.
    To be honest i'd trust Milner more on the right, because at least it's his strong side. And I can't say i'd fancy Valencia as our left back either by the way.

At least pushing a winger back, they're still somewhat in their comfort zone...swapping sides onto their weaker foot is a whole other issue.
    Chelsea favour attacking on the left side - it makes sense because that's where Hazard plays. A stat I saw recently showed 40% of their attacking play this season went down the left through Hazard. Moving Hazard to the right will disrupt their balance. When we played them in pre-season they were more focussed on containing our players than attempting to play football. It that is the mindset they approach the next game with then the left back has little to fear.
    Did you see the preseason game? I was at it over here...Chelsea had no intention of attacking all game - except Willian, who made a mockery out of Moreno time and time again on that occasion, and he was the only attacker. (i wrote about that issue on here at the time)
    You can spend all the time in the world worrying about what the opposition team can do to you or you could focus on how your team can exploit theirs.
    I kind of think we should do both...
    I get that people have concerns about not having a proper left back in the team, but it should be kept in mind that Klopp utilises full backs as wingers. What ever player is chosen to play the position, they can get caught out of position if the team lose possession through a misplaced pass.

And I don't mind that approach, if your full back is actually comfortable with that, but Milner clearly isn't comfortable going up the line on his weaker foot - if you want him as an attacking fullback, play him on the right. You must have noticed how he plays on the left...if he's in our half, he doesn't trust himself to pass up the line on his weak left, instead constantly looking into a congested midfield on his right foot.
    Milner should be given some credit - he's not some brainless eejit that dives into tackles recklessly, nor is he repeatedly made a fool of. Yes he's learning the defensive element of the position and he will make mistakes, but if the forwards are scoring goals then any defensive mistakes from the left back in training should have little impact on the result of games.

I'm really not as confident as you seem to be that we can just afford to give up goals. Surely the Burnley and Spurs results are testament to that.

And I really do actually like Milner, but you're talking about him learning a position...why are we getting a 30 year old right sided midfielder to learn to be a left back? And an old 30 at that, given that he's been playing first team football since he was 16 (same as Rooney...actually Miner broke his record for youngest goalscorer). Again, i'm actually kind of ok with that as the backup option to a proper fullback, but when that's the best option at the club...christ.
    We're only 3 games into the season. We made two cup finals with the left back options we had with instability all around the position

We lost one of those finals because of that fullback, and actually made it to the final in spite of some crucial errors that fullback made.

As for your other point about not wanting to further unsettle a back 4 that already has a new keeper and new CB, well, whatever way you look at it, Milner is a new LB. It's still a whole new relationship/partnership that has to be built so makes it no easier than bedding in an actual fullback.

Ugh, I hate banging on like this, but it really bothers me that we're not giving ourselves the best chance we can.

After 8 games we had 1.5 ppg under Rodgers last season
    Looking at the finer details tells a different story. 7 points were won from the first 3 games (2.33 PPG). Things took a nose dive after game 3, when Rodgers cracked and went back to the 2014/15 model. 5 points from games 4 to 8 (1 PPG).

He set up two goals against Arsenal and he was decent at the weekend. You could maybe fault him for the goal but overall he played really well I thought. The only game he was really poor in was the Burnley game but everyone was.

I thought he was poor the weekend tbh and yes I do think he needs to take some blame for the goal and the one against burnley. If it was Moreno we would all be spitting feathers.

Hopefully he gets back to last year solid form but there has definitely been a dip this year so far for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Can injured again? Official German twitter account tweeted that he misses their 2 games with a capsular injury

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    To be honest i'd trust Milner more on the right, because at least it's his strong side. And I can't say i'd fancy Valencia as our left back either by the way.

At least pushing a winger back, they're still somewhat in their comfort zone...swapping sides onto their weaker foot is a whole other issue.
    You want Milner to play on the right, he prefers to play on the left.
    I’ve played a lot on the left in my career and would rather play left back than right back so that does not effect me.

James Milner Opens Up About Moving to Left Back

You want Milner to play on the right, he prefers to play on the left.

James Milner Opens Up About Moving to Left Back

I don't want him to play at right back. i don't want him to play at left back. I don't want him at fullback. I want an actual fullback.

Good for him, but that doesn't change the fact that on the left, at best, he's an inverted winger at fullback. Given that you kept saying our fullbacks are our wingers, does that not present an obvious problem? Or better yet, just go look back at the highlights of the games he's played, and how each attack that begins with Milner at left back, instead of going up the line, he passes inside. That kind of negates the whole "width from your fullbacks" thing.

From that article you posted, here's a paragraph that basically sums up my concerns;
    "Against Burnley in the league, though, Milner at left back meant Liverpool lacked width on his side; against a team packed deep all his presence did was congest things further for Liverpool. Rather than opening Burnley up, his presence helped them shut down."

• Advertisement

Hopefully Henry is a good coach and Origi can pick up a thing or two.

CrHUt-sWEAAqdxU.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Milner was directly at fault for the goal...first and primary job of a fullback is to stop the cross. He was in no mans land when the ball was played into the corner, and then not only didn't block the cross, but didn't even cause any trouble at all to the crosser. If he's on his man, there's no goal.
    https://youtu.be/aOp2Kc0XteE?t=3m34s

So he's not great with defensive instincts...can't really blame him, he's literally never played left back in his entire career before.

Well, except when they don't, and we're left scampering backwards...again take a gander at Milner in the clip above.

I would love if it were as simple as that, but it obviously isn't - just look at the goals we've conceded from over the past year...so many of them come from the high press failing, and then acres of space being left in behind. We can't just pretend that doesn't happen...and a big part of the reason it happens is because the defensive instincts of our centre midfielders and full backs aren't up to scratch. Like, Clyne is the only one of those 4 vital positions that is naturally defensive.

Mahrez and Vardy...the best two attackers in the league last season, and the guys who between them got 2 goals and an assist the last time we played them.

Did you see the preseason game? I was at it over here...Chelsea had no intention of attacking all game - except Willian, who made a mockery out of Moreno time and time again on that occasion, and he was the only attacker. (i wrote about that issue on here at the time)

I kind of think we should do both...

And I don't mind that approach, if your full back is actually comfortable with that, but Milner clearly isn't comfortable going up the line on his weaker foot - if you want him as an attacking fullback, play him on the right. You must have noticed how he plays on the left...if he's in our half, he doesn't trust himself to pass up the line on his weak left, instead constantly looking into a congested midfield on his right foot.

I'm really not as confident as you seem to be that we can just afford to give up goals. Surely the Burnley and Spurs results are testament to that.

And I really do actually like Milner, but you're talking about him learning a position...why are we getting a 30 year old right sided midfielder to learn to be a left back? And an old 30 at that, given that he's been playing first team football since he was 16 (same as Rooney...actually Miner broke his record for youngest goalscorer). Again, i'm actually kind of ok with that as the backup option to a proper fullback, but when that's the best option at the club...christ.

We lost one of those finals because of that fullback, and actually made it to the final in spite of some crucial errors that fullback made.

As for your other point about not wanting to further unsettle a back 4 that already has a new keeper and new CB, well, whatever way you look at it, Milner is a new LB. It's still a whole new relationship/partnership that has to be built so makes it no easier than bedding in an actual fullback.

Ugh, I hate banging on like this, but it really bothers me that we're not giving ourselves the best chance we can.
    Good post, Rebel, but I disagree with the highlighted line.

The first job of the fullback is to not let the attacker past him with the ball. Doing that gives the attacker too many options so the next best is just letting the ball past.

Milner did just that, backing off and reducing the open space behind him and giving the attacker only 1 option, the cross.

It backs up your point about fullbacks, a good fullback would have got closer because he would have the experience and nous to position himself to reduce the crossing space and also increase his chances of blocking/tackling the ball.

Tbh, it's no great surprise that Klopp favours an attacking fullback over an overtly defensive one going on what's been written about his selections while at Dortmund.

I don't want him to play at right back. i don't want him to play at left back. I don't want him at fullback. I want an actual fullback.
    I have posted previously about why I think Klopp did not want to add another new player to the mix in this transfer window.

I don't think Milner is the solution but I accept why Klopp would choose him for the role.

I have posted previously about why I think Klopp did not want to add another new player to the mix in this transfer window.

I don't think Milner is the solution but I accept why Klopp would choose him for the role.

I know what you're saying, but I fail to see how Milner needing to build a new defensive relationship with Karius, Matip and Lovren is any different to a new player needing to do the same.

Yeah, at least Lovren and Milner were in the same squad together, but even their on-field dynamic was completely different. IMO whatever way you look at it, it's starting from scratch.

If we were talking about Moreno, I could understand much more, but it seems Milner has pushed past him to be the first choice, in which case, why not just use the past 3 months to find a proper full back?

Luiz back to Chelsea is doing the rounds I wonder will PSG come back in for Sahko.

The first job of the fullback is to not let the attacker past him with the ball. Doing that gives the attacker too many options so the next best is just letting the ball past. ...........

I wish you played U14s with me, I was LB in a game we were beaten 16-0, their right winger got loads of crosses in but never got past me with the ball, I was hung drawn and quartered for "letting" him get so many crosses in :pac:

One of the adv of Milner at LB is potential for decent cross field passes to Mane.

• Advertisement

Looking at the finer details tells a different story. 7 points were won from the first 3 games (2.33 PPG). Things took a nose dive after game 3, when Rodgers cracked and went back to the 2014/15 model. 5 points from games 4 to 8 (1 PPG).

If the finer detail matters that much (it doesn't of course) I do hope we get more than a point from our next 2 PL games this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Please name the good left backs we failed to get. From what I read we didn't target any.

Ben Chilwell (19) of Leicester, spent 3 months on loan at Huddersfield last season. Huddersfield are managed by David Wagner, a personal friend of Jurgen Klopp. The Huddersfield manager recommended the player as a talent for the future, Leicester refused an offer of £7M.

Andy Robertson (22) of Hull, was thought to be an alternative target by the Metro and all of a sudden Liverpool fans were swallowing the speculation.

Charlie Taylor (22) of Leeds Utd, handed in a transfer request. Media reaction : Liverpool want him.

Jordan Amavi (22) of Aston Villa, was regarded by the media as a possible signing.

The tabloids and the likes of TalkSport have been quite happy to spin stories about transfer speculation. A representative from Koln said that the only transfer offer they received for Jonas Hector this summer was from Barcelona, yet the British media would have you believe both Liverpool and Tottenham were willing to bid £22M but not £25M on the player.

Juan Manuel Garcia (19) was signed after a 10 day trial at the beginning of August.

I'm open to correction but as far as I am aware Chilwell is the only left back we made an offer for, we signed a former Barcelona youth player for free and everything else has been press speculation.

Whoever listens to or reads that station / website get out, as it was bought over again by news Corp aka the owners of that rag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Luiz back to Chelsea is doing the rounds I wonder will PSG come back in for Sahko.

I was thinking the same.

2012/13 Liverpool had the worst league start in over 100 years. January transfer window Coutinho and Sturridge signed and it turned the second half of the season around. People could see what Rodgers was trying to implement. Final league position was outside of European qualification and the cup runs were a disaster, knocked out by Oldham and Swansea. Failed to get past the first knock out stage of the EL.

2013/14 Obviously had a great league run. No European football. Knocked out in the 3rd round of the League Cup and the 5th round of the FA Cup.

2014/15 Liverpool had the worst league start in over 50 years. Worst CL performances I can ever remember. Knocked out of the FA Cup semi-final by a terrible Aston Villa team fighting relegation. Lost 6-1 away to Stoke on the last day of the season.

2015/16 Scraped past Stoke 1-0. Had a good 20 mins. in a 0-0 draw with Arsenal. Scrapped past Bournemouth 1-0 who had a good goal ruled out. Lost 3-0 to West Ham. Lost 3-1 to Man Utd. Drew 1-1 with Norwich. Drew 1-1 with Carlisle in the League Cup having to beat them on penalties.

Like all Liverpool fans I enjoyed the league run in 14/15 and I give Rodgers the credit in getting the performances out of the team. But his overall record leaves him open to justified criticism.

• Advertisement

Sky Sports understands .

dogbert27 wrote: »
    2012/13 Liverpool had the worst league start in over 100 years.

2014/15 Liverpool had the worst league start in over 50 years.

:-/

Does that second one not kinda need to be either 2, or 102?

(agree with your point by the way)

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/705479/Crystal-Palace-striker-Christian-Benteke-Liverpool-Jurgen-Klopp-Premier-League-transfer

''“I did not fit the tactical system of the new coach.

“That was not easy mentally because I was left to fight a losing battle.

“But I must not look for excuses. I could also have done better in those few minutes I got.

dogbert27 wrote: »

Gotcha...it does kinda show up how arbitrary a claim it can be when we can just pick whatever date suits...within that context it's a claim that carries a lot less weight. You could probably come up with 30 or so different "worst starts" in that event.

Your point remains though, they were both very bad starts, which was conistently our curse under Rodgers, aside from the one outlier.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/705479/Crystal-Palace-striker-Christian-Benteke-Liverpool-Jurgen-Klopp-Premier-League-transfer

''“I did not fit the tactical system of the new coach.

“That was not easy mentally because I was left to fight a losing battle.

“But I must not look for excuses. I could also have done better in those few minutes I got.

Fair play to him. Good attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Emre can new contract to be announced tomorrow according to reports.

PR from the club to cover up the lack of signings it feels like

Gotcha...it does kinda show up how arbitrary a claim it can be when we can just pick whatever date suits...within that context it's a claim that carries a lot less weight. You could probably come up with 30 or so different "worst starts" in that event.

Your point remains though, they were both very bad starts, which was conistently our curse under Rodgers, aside from the one outlier.

I liked Rodgers. As I said the second half of the first season you could see what he was trying to achieve. He nearly did it in the second season. I gave him the benefit of the doubt at the start of the third season but then the way the CL games played out with bizarre team selections and almost a defeatist attitude going to the Bernabau it changed my mind. From giving him the benefit of the doubt I was looking at a guy who was fumbling his way through formations hoping to hit on something which he did for the second third of the season but then when the first defeat came after 10 games the whole thing collapsed like a deck of cards culminating in the 6-1 defeat away to Stoke.

Seeing him have his backroom staff replaced while he kept his job led me to lose respect for him as a manager and I wanted him gone then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I think all of us moaning about no LB should leave rebel to post for us.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

ricero wrote: »
    Emre can new contract to be announced tomorrow according to reports.

PR from the club to cover up the lack of signings it feels like

Third choice left back!! Like a new signing :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement