Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I can drive Alberto to London for a medical tomorrow?

Take the money and run please Jurgen if there is as much as a snivil of truth to that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

How much for Mario I wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ricero wrote: »
    Emre can new contract to be announced tomorrow according to reports.

PR from the club to cover up the lack of signings it feels like

Yeah just like building the Main Stand was a 3 year long diversion.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Emre can new contract to be announced tomorrow according to reports.

PR from the club to cover up the lack of signings it feels like

Haven't we brought in loads of players?!? Karius, Grujic, Matip, Klavan, Mane, Gini and em.. Manninger...

Thats 7 players. Thats fair chunk tbf.

ricero is waiting for Messi, Alonso, Suarez and Paul Konchesky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Our fear of possibly being ever so slightly mugged in the search of a left back will rip us apart this season.

There are better LB'c at countless clubs. Our plan B at left back this season is a midfielder and predominantly right footed. And quite possibly plan A at this point in time.

I will never accept that, given what i have seen from Moreno over the last 12 months.

If it took 25m to get Van Aanholt (for example) tomorrow id pay it and not give a fk.

Hearts broke all season for us, ye know its gonna happen like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

How much for Mario I wonder.

Worse than £0!! It looks like we'll have to subsidise his wages for a one year loan deal to Nice after which he'll be a free agent.

Spectacular fail of a transfer.

Luckily Klopp will never sign a last min panic buy striker for 16m quid (or 30m as it would be now!).

I dunno if it was mentioned here but apparently 10 clubs inquired about Danny Ings! 20m on the table from one club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

daithijjj wrote: »
    Our fear of possibly being ever so slightly mugged in the search of a left back will rip us apart this season.

There are better LB'c at countless clubs. Our plan B at left back this season is a midfielder and predominantly right footed. And quite possibly plan A at this point in time.

I will never accept that, given what i have seen from Moreno over the last 12 months.

If it took 25m to get Van Aanholt (for example) tomorrow id pay it and not give a fk.

Hearts broke all season for us, ye know its gonna happen like this.

Van Aanholt can't defend, good going forward though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

ricero is waiting for Messi, Alonso, Suarez and Paul Konchesky

Paul Koncheskys ma :pac:

No but i really think this is fsg being tight before they sell up. For instance its been reported Klopp wanted Dahoud, so fsg in my view should of went all out and signed him. Same for the left-back Klopp wanted Ben Chillwell of Leicster city.

Maybe we'll have a surprise incoming tomorrow, though I'd just be happy to see the back of the unwanted even if they are blameless. It'll feel like an almost clean slate to work from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Class statement from Benteke. The statement he'll give on the pitch terrifies me, though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Grayditch wrote: »
    Class statement from Benteke. The statement he'll give on the pitch terrifies me, though :pac:

yup, would be surprised if he doesn't score against us this season.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Maybe we'll have a surprise incoming tomorrow, though I'd just be happy to see the back of the unwanted even if they are blameless. It'll feel like an almost clean slate to work from.

I very much doubt we'll see any new arrivals tomorrow, except perhaps a 16 year old Serbian or something.

• Advertisement

Speaking of whom I look forward to Grujic v Ireland (hopefully) next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

No but i really think this is fsg being tight before they sell up. For instance its been reported Klopp wanted Dahoud, so fsg in my view should of went all out and signed him. Same for the left-back Klopp wanted Ben Chillwell of Leicster city.

Monchengladbach made it pretty clear that they were digging their heels in re: Dahoud, though. I wouldn't blame that one on FSG - they were losing Nordveidt as his contract expired and Xhaka's deal to Arsenal was signed before the end of May. They weren't exactly keen to let the third member of their centre midfield walk out the door right after them.

And, on Chilwell, the club offered what they thought he was worth and Leicester said no. Player signed a new contract shortly after - again, what more did we want the club to do? They obviously felt he wasn't worth the extra cash and given that the majority of people on here have never so much as seen him play, who are we to argue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

K-9 wrote: »
    I think all of us moaning about no LB should leave rebel to post for us.

I certainly have!

Only a day and evening left of transfer speculation :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Right now as of today we must be one of the most financially secure clubs in Europe. The club is valued at ~260% of its purchase price in 2010. After running the wage bill down over a half decade we've just slashed a huge amount off the squad for a grand profit this summer and are benefitting by a 77% increase in core revenue (TV Deal) along with opening a new stand that increases match day revenue.

Money isn't the issue. Willingness to invest in the squad is absent though. If that's the fault of the manager as so many have suggested he'll be strung up for it when the time comes. If he genuinely thinks this squad is good enough because he can coach them up his ego is bigger than the moon.

The only positive is we've made it so we don't *need* Champion's League football. Progress is a sacrifice at the altar of necessity.

• Advertisement

Pretty poor form we aren't in for a LB.

Added to that Milner would be handy in midfield every so often.

Strange

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    ............ If that's the fault of the manager as so many have suggested he'll be strung up for it when the time comes. If he genuinely thinks this squad is good enough because he can coach them up his ego is bigger than the moon..............

I think with Toure & Sakho gone and the replacements being Matip & Klavan our first choice CB pairing might be a tad better than last year's but the 2nd string is at best on a par.

Unless Wijnaldum really settles quickly and impresses at CM than we are same as last year with Hendo & Can. As a concept I thought Wij' would have been putting Lallana on the bench but that doesn't seem the plan, which I'm fine with as I think Lallana is key to much of our good performances but buying Wij' looks a head scratcher now.

LB is LB.

Mane looks a serious addition.

Karius, no idea aside from him being highly regarded.

I think the squad is decent in attack but still question marks over LB, CM, GK and perhaps depth at CB. Lovren might well have a relapse to sh1tness too.

We know FSG won't pump hundreds of £m into transfers in a window but we've never seen a net spend like this in their reign. With the increased revenue and other clubs splashing cash I'm a tad puzzled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Today is gonna be like a bad version of the hokey-cokey for us.....it'll be all outs and no ins!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Right now as of today we must be one of the most financially secure clubs in Europe. The club is valued at ~260% of its purchase price in 2010. After running the wage bill down over a half decade we've just slashed a huge amount off the squad for a grand profit this summer and are benefitting by a 77% increase in core revenue (TV Deal) along with opening a new stand that increases match day revenue.

Money isn't the issue. Willingness to invest in the squad is absent though. If that's the fault of the manager as so many have suggested he'll be strung up for it when the time comes. If he genuinely thinks this squad is good enough because he can coach them up his ego is bigger than the moon.

The only positive is we've made it so we don't *need* Champion's League football. Progress is a sacrifice at the altar of necessity.

Or he feels he did similar at Dortmund and can do the same here. Was Reus any better than Mane is when they signed him? Was Hummels any better than Matip, Was Lewandowski viewed as any better than Origi when he was signed for peanuts?

Klopp believes in his methods and his abilities. HE's not a Football Manager style manager, he's a proper coach and I for one f*cking love that about him. Its not like we haven't signed anyone either, we've signed 4 players who should be starters for the team when fit this summer. Thats a fair whack of new starters, especially with no Europe to necessitate a large squad.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Or he feels he did similar at Dortmund and can do the same here. Was Reus any better than Mane is when they signed him? Was Hummels any better than Matip, Was Lewandowski viewed as any better than Origi when he was signed for peanuts?

Klopp believes in his methods and his abilities. ...............

I don't think Klopp expects Matip or Origi to be quite as good as Hummels and Lewandowski regardless of his methods and abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

corwill wrote: »
    200.gif

RIP the waco kid

Matt Spiro @mattspiro

OGC Nice trying hard to convince #LFC to let Balotelli (signed for €25m in 2014) to sign on a free. Otherwise will push for loan (L'Equipe)
    9:22 AM - 31 Aug 2016 · Paris, France, France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

^^ No surprise there really.

We hold absolutely zero cards in relation to Balotelli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

May as well just let Balotelli go on the free now as loan him out anyway, sure his contract is up at end of season isn't it?
    Whatever it takes to get him off the wage bill and out the door, just do it.

A sad indictment of those muppets on the transfer committee who thought he was worth 16 million at the time when everyone could see he was an accident waiting to happen.

Most stupid signing in our entire history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/770904695233732608
    All about off-loading those on fringes of squad for #LFC today. Deals for Balotelli, Alberto, Wisdom & Markovic, and possibly Ilori.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It seems pretty clear at that Sakhos finished here. If discipline is an issue then, as much of a fan as I am of him, it's down to the managers judgment and a perfectly reasonable decision.

I don't understand offering him out on loan, bull****ting about there being a way back for him, when we'll probably never get a better price for him. If he goes and shows a lack of discipline at his loan club, his value will plummet.

Thought Alberto and Wisdom were already done and dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

May as well just let Balotelli go on the free now as loan him out anyway, sure his contract is up at end of season isn't it?
    Whatever it takes to get him off the wage bill and out the door, just do it.

A sad indictment of those muppets on the transfer committee who thought he was worth 16 million at the time when everyone could see he was an accident waiting to happen.

Most stupid signing in our entire history.

In hindsight, but it's absolutely not true that everyone could see what was about to happen except the transfer committee. Maybe you said that yourself but the majority of Liverpool fans were happy with the gamble at the time as it was seen as a pure moneyball signing. Fans commented that we'd get some cash from Italy/turkey if it didn't work out and that it was low risk. His agent kept saying it was last chance saloon for him and that he was motivated. The one person in the media that I remember was really critical of the signing was Johnny Giles. I remember the interview on off the ball where he said categorically it would be a complete disaster for rodgers. He was 100% right...couldn't have worked out any worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Raisins wrote: »
    In hindsight, but it's absolutely not true that everyone could see what was about to happen except the transfer committee. Maybe you said that you're self but the majority of Liverpool fans were happy with the gamble at the time as it was seen as a pure moneyball signing. Fans commented that we'd get some cash from Italy/turkey if it didn't work out and that it was low risk. His agent kept saying it was last chance saloon for him and that he was motivated. The one person in the media that I remember was really critical of the signing was Johnny Giles. I remember the interview on off the ball where he said categorically it would be a complete disaster for rodgers. He was 100% right...couldn't have worked out any worse.

Agreed - i was one of those who thought it was worth a gamble for the price. Remembering how devastating he could be on his day at City and the low price i thought it was a no brainer. Even if he didn't work out just sell him on and probably not make a loss.

It backfired badly but i think it was definitely worth the risk at the time. Hindsight is always 20:20

Imagine rodgers had been able to sort his head out and have a Sturridge like situation? It would be of been hailed as one of our best signings - unfortunately Mario is just a little too crazy

What the feck?! :pac:

No one on this board (except the wildly optimistic/delusional) thought Balotelli was a good signing.

Raisins wrote: »
    IMaybe you said that yourself but the majority of Liverpool fans were happy with the gamble at the time

What? The majority of Liverpool fans were happy when we signed Balotelli?

Most were up in arms about it. The forum i was posting on at the time nearly went into melt-down when we got linked with him. (before he even signed)

Was it different on here maybe and that's where you're taking it from? I wasn't a member here at the time so I wouldn't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

What? The majority of Liverpool fans were happy when we signed Balotelli?

Most were up in arms about it. The forum i was posting on at the time nearly went into melt-down when we got linked with him. (before he even signed)

Was it different on here maybe and that's where you're taking it from? I wasn't a member here at the time so I wouldn't know.

I think a few, myself included, tried to reverse engineer some reasons for hope once it became apparent that the deal was going to be done. But sure I was only codding myself. I nodded furiously in agreement with Rodgers the first time he was asked about signing Mario and dismissed it. He should have stuck to his guns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I thought it was a worthy gamble at the time, but a gamble nonetheless. Mario had a good return with every club before us. We got his attitude but no goals.

• Advertisement

I think a few, myself included, tried to reverse engineer some reasons for hope once it became apparent that the deal was going to be done. But sure I was only codding myself. I nodded furiously in agreement with Rodgers the first time he was asked about signing Mario and dismissed it. He should have stuck to his guns.

Yeah I think he was let down by the transfer committee a bit on other targets and sort of left stuck with Balotelli in the end. Or something along those lines.

I recall posting on a forum where fans from various teams debate in the same threads (as opposed to specific threads for each teams like on here) and Arsenal were linked with Balotelli earlier that Summer.
    Well the place went nuts with people ripping the piss out of the Arsenal fans (plenty of Liverpool fans included).
    Then next thing it transpired it was us who would be signing him, not Arsenal.
    The reaction from every Liverpool fan i can remember was disappointment/anger with him coming in, and what i gathered at the time from his link to Arsenal was that none of their lot wanted him either.

I think he was damaged goods before we signed him, which made it an even more stupid signing. I know people prefer to use the term "a gamble" but most things in life are a gamble to some degree, this was a particularly stupid gamble to take.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think we were happy we signed a striker and hopefully that Mario would get his sh*t together.
    But it all went to poo in his debut against Spurs when he took a shot from the half way line and everybody in the world laughed including our manager. That's when we realised that he was not going to get any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

What the feck?! :pac:

No one on this board (except the wildly optimistic/delusional) thought Balotelli was a good signing.
    :o

NukaCola wrote: »

I wonder is the mad git gonna turn down all moves and stay and fight for his place despite Klopp wanting him to take a loan deal?

In a way I would kind of admire him if he did, say screw it and stay and fight for his chance.

Not many others would, but Sakho could be bonkers enough to try it

A lot here thought it was worth a punt and if it didn't go well we'd recoup at least half the fee from some Italian club.

However, to say it didn't go well is a bit of an understatement! :o

Oh well, we've spunked plenty of money away in recent seasons on rubbish so just add Mario to the list and move on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Don't know if anyone else has posted this article from when Sakho signed, but it's interesting reading with the benefit of hindsight - http://www.espnfc.us/club/paris-saint-germain/160/blog/post/1852629/sakho-exit-from-psg-a-complicated-one

I'd love to see a way back for him, because when he's on hot form, he's immense, but I'm not that hopeful.

I'd love to see a way back for him, because when he's on hot form, he's immense, but I'm not that hopeful.

I think 'immense' is a bit OTT. I'm struggling to think of 1 performance that would warrant that adjective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wouldn't blame any player even Mario for turning down a move to Turkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

The Balotelli signing should be remembered in the context of that summer window. We had just sold Suarez but qualified for the CL. Sanchez signed for Arsenal and Remy had just failed our medical. Griezmann went to Atletico. We were mindboggled that we'd not signed a striker.

We got Balo late in the window and people were either relieved to have gotten anyone or annoyed that we'd not adequately addressed the vacancy left by a player who nearly won us the league. Some thought he could redeem himself, ala Sturridge. Some were apoplectic.

I think the only thing you can say was that it was a desperate signing; we were desperate to sign someone, the fans were desperate waiting for someone to sign, and in general the while window could be described as desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Sky Sports is unbearable today. Stats on what city searches the most for transfer news, what manager is googled the most..

One piece of news though. Bruno Martins Indi who we were linked with is off to Stoke on loan.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement