Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

kfallon wrote: »
    I think 'immense' is a bit OTT. I'm struggling to think of 1 performance that would warrant that adjective.

Yeh, I tend to agree - we have probably seen more 8/10 performances from Lovren in the last 6 months than from Sakho. And I think he takes some responsibility for Moreno's slack, having a defender inside him that you never know what to expect of...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I think 'immense' is a bit OTT. I'm struggling to think of 1 performance that would warrant that adjective.

Just off the top of my head, I thought he was really good against Them in the Europa, and against the Toffees in April.

Look, too often he's off form, I acknowledge that. I made plenty of excuses for him when returning from injury, etc because of the quality of what he could produce with a run of games.

But a picture is emerging or has emerged, whichever you prefer, of why we don't see that good form nearly often enough. It's a bloody shame, imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Sky Sports is unbearable today. Stats on what city searches the most for transfer news, what manager is googled the most..

One piece of news though. Bruno Martins Indi who we were linked with is off to Stoke on loan.

I gave up on SSN a few years ago. Too much hyped up sh1t to justify there being. They have this attitude that the own the transfer window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Luis Alberto is a Lazio player.
    Anfield HQ ✔
    @AnfieldHQ

Luis Alberto has completed his Lazio medical. #lfc
    11:21 AM - 31 Aug 2016

CrLkPazXEAIEG-b.jpg:large

32 Retweets
    19 likes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

^^^^ there goes one of the greats.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Saw on twitter that there is a fan protest at melwood today against fsg

Liverpool/Everbright - the chairman speaks

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-everbright-soccer-idUKKCN116148?rpc=401
    China Everbright Ltd, part of the state-owned China Everbright Group, is not in talks to buy a stake in British soccer team Liverpool FC, Chief Executive Chen Shuang said on Wednesday.

Chen said that, after media reports of Everbright's interest in the football club, he called several executives at different units of Everbright that might be involved in outbound mergers and acquisitions and found no one was working on any such deal.

From what he knew, there was never any such deal at Everbright, he said at a news briefing.

The U.S. owners of Liverpool have said the club is not for sale.

(Reporting by Julie Zhu; Writing by Elzio Barreto)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I think the only thing you can say was that it was a desperate signing; we were desperate to sign someone, the fans were desperate waiting for someone to sign, and in general the while window could be described as desperate.

True.

There could also be a lesson there for those of us who were praying for a Left back to be signed over the past week or two, checking every day begging for some good news.
    Whereas in reality if Klopp hadn't found a left back who fits his plans perfectly who we could get right now then it makes sense to "find solutions from within" as he often says, rather than add another Balotelli type panic buy to the list.
    Hence Milner playing there with the wonderful Moreno as back-up.

It's the right way to manage transfers in the long run, even if it can be a tad frustrating in the short term.

Liverpool/Everbright - the chairman speaks

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-everbright-soccer-idUKKCN116148?rpc=401
    China Everbright Ltd, part of the state-owned China Everbright Group, is not in talks to buy a stake in British soccer team Liverpool FC, Chief Executive Chen Shuang said on Wednesday.

Chen said that, after media reports of Everbright's interest in the football club, he called several executives at different units of Everbright that might be involved in outbound mergers and acquisitions and found no one was working on any such deal.

From what he knew, there was never any such deal at Everbright, he said at a news briefing.

The U.S. owners of Liverpool have said the club is not for sale.

(Reporting by Julie Zhu; Writing by Elzio Barreto)

I really hope not. After suffering another mediocre transfer window under fsg i would like them to sell up at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

ricero wrote: »
    I really hope not. After suffering another mediocre transfer window under fsg i would like them to sell up at this stage.

How is it mediocre?

People now seem to judge this based on not being active in last week.

Liverpool got their business done early and Mane looks a top signing.

Left back is the only issue.

• Advertisement

Saw on twitter that there is a fan protest at melwood today against fsg

That's insane. Whatever about the ticket prices protest that time but aside from that i can't see why anyone would feel so aggrieved with FSG's running of the club that it would warrant a protest.

It's a small group calling themselves Fenway we come not to pay, apparently. Never heard of them myself.

murpho999 wrote: »

How is it mediocre?

People now seem to judge this based on not being active in last week.

Liverpool got their business done early and Mane looks a top signing.

Left back is the only issue.

As far as i know klopp wanted both chillwell and dahous yet we haggled over the price and ended up without both. If klopp really wanted these players then fsg should of went all out to buy these players regardless of the price being asked.

That's insane. Whatever about the ticket prices protest that time but aside from that i can't see why anyone would feel so aggrieved with FSG's running of the club that it would warrant a protest.

It's a small group calling themselves Fenway we come not to pay, apparently. Never heard of them myself.

Presumably the protest is about FSG's refusal to sell to the Chinese who are not interesting in buying Liverpool!

Presumably the protest is about FSG's refusal to sell to the Chinese who are not interesting in buying Liverpool!

Ha yeah the Chinese who don't want to buy the club and who most of the fans wouldn't want the club to sell to even if they were interested.

I can't see many turning up at this protest :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

As far as i know klopp wanted both chillwell and dahous yet we haggled over the price and ended up without both. If klopp really wanted these players then fsg should of went all out to buy these players regardless of the price being asked.

Well sorry to say but, you are wrong.

Dahoud was never gonnna be left leave this window once Gladbach sold Xhaka to Arsenal.
    Chilwell from what is reported was one problem in this transfer, his father is his manager and supposed to have been throwing his toys out of the pram regarding the transfer

We can't always blame it on FSG or the price

There are many facets to a transfer but the papers will only tell you half the story.

But isn't it possible that it was Klopp who said no that's too much money after the other clubs came back with alternative figures?

He's not silly, he knows there is only a finite amount to spend at any club so it's plausible that he made the shout, not FSG.

Also, I thought Chilwell just decided he'd prefer to stay with leicester for now, rather than move. Maybe I'm wrong on that one...

I just had a look at their website - a bunch of conspiratorial nutters.

Well sorry to say but, you are wrong.

Dahoud was never gonnna be left leave this window once Gladbach sold Xhaka to Arsenal.
    Chilwell from what is reported was one problem in this transfer, his father is his manager and supposed to have been throwing his toys out of the pram regarding the transfer

We can't always blame it on FSG or the price

There are many facets to a transfer but the papers will only tell you half the story.

Im sorry but on dahoud if you make an offer they cant refuse they will will accept the bid. Money talks and all that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I just had a look at their website - a bunch of conspiratorial nutters.

And what about Everbrite?? :D

• Advertisement

Liverpool will not be buying anyone today - just heard - official

Im sorry but on dahoud if you make an offer they cant refuse they will will accept the bid. Money talks and all that

Whilst u are correct regarding money talks, do we want to see a repeat of the Carroll transfer and overpaying with Dahoud.

I'm sure Klopp has a figure in his mind what he thinks the player is worth If Klopp really wanted him then FSG would have gotten the player, no doubt about it.

Dahoud's contract expires next year so there is a finite value on the player.
    Who knows maybe LFC have agreed to buy him next year on a free, in Jan the player can sign a pre contract agreement and a nice sign on bonus.

67613515.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Panic buying rarely works, but at the same time a left-back would have been a comfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Gonna pick up ricero and protest outside your house at this news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I wonder is the mad git gonna turn down all moves and stay and fight for his place despite Klopp wanting him to take a loan deal?

In a way I would kind of admire him if he did, say screw it and stay and fight for his chance.

Not many others would, but Sakho could be bonkers enough to try it

There were plenty defending Balotelli's decision to stay and fight for his place at the start of last season, even citing employment law as a reason/validation for doing so.. I would not be perturbed if Sakho chose to do the same this year as I don't see him being a lost cause like Balo was.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Did anyone actually think they would based on the last few days evidence of no interest in buying anyone?

garra wrote: »
    I would not be perturbed if Sakho chose to do the same this year as I don't see him being a lost cause like Balo was.

Yeah like i said I'd actually kind of admire him if he did, it'd be a gamble because he might end up not getting a kick of a ball for the next few months but I think he might just take that gamble.

(just watch now, in 5 mins time it will be splashed all over the place... Sakho agrees to loan move...) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

We sold well, I'm happier with that more than our signings. Mane has done well but Wijnaldum & Klavan haven't improved the starting XI when played imo. Too early to judge Matip & Karius yet. Not signing a proper left back is a big mistake tho. We had 3 months & completely failed, now we dropped Moreno for Milner who's bespoke position is right midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I think we are all assuming that Klopp wont buy a LB because he cant find one that fits his style of play but it seems like a cop out. Plenty out there that would improve us and if our scouting team cant find one they can recommend then we might have bigger problems there.

For whatever reason we go into a new season with Moreno/Milner as our starters at LB and that, on the face of it, is simply not good enough no matter how you spin it. It will cost us points. I suppose you have to leave Klopp do his thing but it wouldn't be the first time a top coach got things badly wrong.

I'm ok with the transfer window and I'm trying to not be overly critical but how the LB position hasn't been addressed seems almost irresponsible to me. I'd have loved a quality CM also but thats just me.

ERG89 wrote: »
    We sold well, I'm happier with that more than our signings. Mane has done well but Wijnaldum & Klavan haven't improved the starting XI when played imo. Too early to judge Matip & Karius yet. Not signing a proper left back is a big mistake tho. We had 3 months & completely failed, now we dropped Moreno for Milner who's bespoke position is right midfield.

Too early to judge Wijnaldum and Klavan also though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Probably bitter they missed out on Flanagan and won't do business with us now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

True.

There could also be a lesson there for those of us who were praying for a Left back to be signed over the past week or two, checking every day begging for some good news.
    Whereas in reality if Klopp hadn't found a left back who fits his plans perfectly who we could get right now then it makes sense to "find solutions from within" as he often says, rather than add another Balotelli type panic buy to the list.
    Hence Milner playing there with the wonderful Moreno as back-up.

It's the right way to manage transfers in the long run, even if it can be a tad frustrating in the short term.

Actually, I don't think the Balotelli panic buy thing was that big of a deal.
    I think the entire transfer issue was blown out of proportion because of the circus that follows Balotelli around.
    In the end, that level of loss isn't disastrous and we've certainly made a fair few worse decisions from a fiscal point of view in the past few seasons.
    So I don't think even he represents some kind of cautionary tale.

Also, that we need to be panic buying is an issue in itself.

When you look at players like Benteke, Markovic, Aspas, Alberto... clearly there wasn't much in the way of joined up thinking going on.
    Some reactionary clowns would call all these players terrible, but that wasn't really the case.
    They were just bought without the understanding of how they'd fit into the team and/or the league, and given what we've heard of the transfer committee it sounds like that was down to whatever muddle or power struggle was going on there.
    It doesn't matter who was right, the committee or Rodgers - if you've got people pulling in different directions it won't work.

With Klopp being given the reigns that ought to have ended. We've retained and brought to the fore those who fit in - Firmino, Lallana, Milner - we're pushing some to one side or binning them entirely - Sturridge, Sakho, Skrtel, Mignolet.
    He should know what kinds of left backs he needs and everyone should be singing off the same hymn sheet - his hymn sheet.
    I would hope there's an extensive list of targets for every position with players of all levels, abilities and price ranges represented.
    I simply don't believe that there is nobody who we've done our homework on who could come in and at least do a job. Even a Manquillo style signing.

Gbear wrote: »
    I simply don't believe that there is nobody who we've done our homework on who could come in and at least do a job. Even a Manquillo style signing.

But that's the point, he's not looking for just "someone to come in and do a job", he already has Milner to do that.

And Manquillo himself was available. He didn't move for him, so he's gone to Sunderland on loan.

There's no point bringing players in for the hell of it, if it's not a really high calibre of player then use what we have and wait until the right player is available down the line.

Don't get me wrong here, I was hoping we'd sign a LB too. But only if he's of a very high standard, otherwise lets use Milner and wait...

It makes sense really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

And Manquillo himself was available. He didn't move for him, so he's gone to Sunderland on loan.

Two things:

1) Manquillo is a RB, not a LB
    2) Even if he was a LB he was so shíte for us I think I would have given up on the club if we'd gone for him again. Did he even last half of his 2 year loan with us?

Two things:

1) Manquillo is a RB, not a LB
    2) Even if he was a LB he was so shíte for us I think I would have given up on the club if we'd gone for him again. Did he even last half of his 2 year loan with us?

I was responding to the other poster about Manquillo. I wasn't suggesting we sign him.

The point I was making was that it makes sense NOT to be bringing in more players of that standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Have all those who will be "shocked" got their phones fully charged and ready to post a selfie when the clock strikes 11 and a LB hasn't been signed?

download-551472646813.jpg

I was responding to the other poster about Manquillo. I wasn't suggesting we sign him.

The point I was making was that it makes sense NOT to be bringing in more players of that standard.

I'd take a loan deal for a standard LB at this stage for cover, surely a few of them around too.

I miss the days of when we talked wrestling, Pandas, breakfasts :( It's all about a LB now

https://twitter.com/LorisKarius/status/770956036668784640
    Recovering from a successful surgery ���� Wires are removed, from now on things can only move upwards!☝��️ #LK1 @LFC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

NukaCola wrote: »
    I'd take a loan deal for a standard LB at this stage for cover, surely a few of them around too.

Enrique?

Have all those who will be "shocked" got their phones fully charged and ready to post a selfie when the clock strikes 11 and a LB hasn't been signed?

Think we are all past the shock stage a week back, denial is gone a few days also, and now we are firmly into the acceptance phase......

Enrique?

No, someone who can be a backup but can actually pass the ball and defend.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Gbear wrote: »
    When you look at players like Benteke, Markovic, Aspas, Alberto... clearly there wasn't much in the way of joined up thinking going on.
    Some reactionary clowns would call all these players terrible, but that wasn't really the case.

Turned out it actually was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Pretty measly lunch he's having there !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I know it's early days and maybe he's being played out of position but to my eyes swapping Wijnaldum for Joe Allen looks like an awful mistake.

NukaCola wrote: »

Well we had Flanagan and we had Smith. We loaned one out and sold the other.
    Either of them could have been used for cover as opposed to bringing in another player for cover.
    That's why I was (and still am) a shade puzzled by letting Flanno go but you gotta trust the manager on that one i guess.

But the main point about LB really is that Klopp couldn't find the right player who ticks all the boxes for him, so he's going to use Milner and wait.
    Moreno is the cover.

At the end of the day it's probably the correct call, despite our initial disappointment about nobody coming in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

I know it's early days and maybe he's being played out of position but to my eyes swapping Wijnaldum for Joe Allen looks like an awful mistake.

But Joe Allen wanted to go ,its too early for wijnaldum, look at sterling, did nothing last year for city and could be their player of the year if he continues as he has started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The LB debate is one that's very tired for me. It was obvious a number of weeks ago that we would not be signing another one, after Chilwell was not available, and Hector was over-priced.

For everyone that says there is a decent standard out there - please name the available LBs that would have moved. I cannot think of many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Turned out it actually was.

No it wasn't.

Since Rodgers took over in the main we've signed decent footballers.
    That doesn't mean our business has been good, but we're not bringing in Koncheskys or Adams.

You can see how Aspas, Alberto and the likes get on in Spain that they're pretty good footballers.
    Benteke is a proven goalscorer.
    Markovic was being feted as one of the top young players in Europe.

With a manager wanting one thing and the scouts moving in a different direction our mix of signings was confused.

That should now be at an end.

Are the likes of Wijnaldum, Grujic, Klavan or what have you on a different level?
    I don't see how you can make that argument. At the very least now though, they're being bought with some coherent idea of what they're here to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement