Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

We haven't done enough this window. We just haven't.

That TV money is just fúcking sitting there.

Don't get me wrong...I'm more positive about Mané and Wijnaldum than some, but if we're honest, the window has been underwhelming.

I fully understand that Klopp doesn't do marquee signings. That's not what I'm asking for. But we haven't had enough investment given the money we have available, and given what most of our rivals have been doing.

The fact LB hasn't been addressed at all is just plain negligent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

I agree with both of you and actually have no problem with FSG. I appreciate what they have done and continue to do for the club but a couple of times I've seen it mentioned they are paying for the new stand and that's not really true,is it?

But its not really not true either, they are using their own money to build the stadium, the way it appears on the books is probably better from a financial fair play or tax reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Y'know, you're right, it could all work out, and I really hope it does.

But i'll never be happy with a window which ends while we're 3 games into the season, without knowing that we have a solid option in every position. Hoping isn't good enough. But alas it's all we have now.

Oh I'm not "happy" about the LB situation either man.

But I'm not gonna write if off as terminal either, that's all.
    I trust the manager in that he sees something in a player to provide an answer adequately until he gets the player he wants.
    Whether it be Jan or next Summer.

I am "happy" that we didn't spunk a load of money on a player that the manager didn't want, or panic buy.
    Because we've been down that road before.

We'll be OK, keep the faith. We're building a good side, even if it's not quite complete just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

NukaCola wrote: »

Even without one it's the best bit of business...

Even better that it wasn't an Italian club that got him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

SSN saying balotelli fully gone on a free transfer to Nice. Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

SlickRic wrote: »

Don't get me wrong...I'm more positive about Mané and Wijnaldum than some, but if we're honest, the window has been underwhelming.

I fully understand that Klopp doesn't do marquee signings. That's not what I'm asking for. But we haven't had enough investment given the money we have available, and given what most of our rivals have been doing.

Same, i'm happy with elements of what we've done...there's no move that I actively don't like which is good...we just needed to do more.

I'm still worried about left back (obviously enough given my past 2 days of posting :p ), but also centre mid. Would have loved a mobile, aggressive, all action midfielder with good defensive instincts... a guy that would scare the opposition. I think it's the position most needed to make Klopp's style of play work. And make no mistake - that position is integral to Klopp's plans, he does use a player in that position, we just don't have anyone to do it. Henderson has been playing it so far, quite ineffectually. Can will be the chosen option once he's back fit, but it doesn't quite fit his skillset either. Would have rathered Can next to a more suiable option..a Mascherano clone. Kante, Wanyama etc.

But that's a role where we're probably better off getting the right option than just anyone. And at least we still have Lucas as a DM option if we're trying to close out a game. Lucas pre-injury would actually have been about perfect, but he's a bit limited in what he can do now. Glad we kept him though, think he'll play more that people expect. If both were fully fit, my starting 2 CM's would actually be Lucas and Can.

I think Klopp will go for Can and Wijnaldum, and we'll see Wijnaldum given a bit more freedom to push forward than we've seen when he's beside Henderson.
    hadepsx wrote: »
    San saying balotelli fully gone on a free transfer to Nice. Nice.
    I do hope those sell on clause rumours were true, even if he went on a free. You just never know with Balotelli, maybe one day he'll become the 50m player he has the ability to be, and i'd like us to be covered if he does (however unlikely it is).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Great to see the club has learned from past windows blowing money on poor players & buying too many players.
    Think we have done great business this summer. Only worry is Wijnaldum looking a bit lost in CM but I think he will come good. Mane & Matip in particular look significant upgrades on what we had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

Could be worse - could have had to pay someone to take Balotelli!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I have a feeling Mario spend more time down the road hanging out in Monte Carlo than in Nice.

I have a feeling Mario spend more time down the road hanging out in Monte Carlo than in Nice.

That and the barbers. I've never seen a man with so little hair post a pic of a new hair-do so often.

It will dawn on him one day, probably long after he has retired, that he pissed away more golden opportunities to have a great career than most people could dream of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I can't believe that people think signing 4 first team players in one window isn't "enough business". Maybe Klopp just doesn't see left back as a priority. I don't... City won the league multiple times with Clichy and Kolarov. Neither are world beaters... we've improved our attack and I feel confident enough that we've at least taken steps to improve our defence with Matip and Karius. I don't think people realise how good Matip was for Schalke. He'd have cost us 30m easily in the current climate. Also his 17 goals for Schalke show he knows how to attack a corner. Will be nice to have that from a cb again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

SlickRic wrote: »

It's all a bit Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    . Also his 17 goals for Schalke show he knows how to attack a corner. Will be nice to have that from a cb again.
    All we need is someone who can take a corner now. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then

Benteke £27m-32m
    Allen - £13m
    Ibe - £15m
    Smith - £3m-£6m
    Skrtel - £5m-5.5m
    Canos - £2.5m-4.5m
    Sinclair - £4m
    Alberto £3.75m
    Teixeira
    Rossiter
    Balotelli
    Toure
    Enrique
    Yesil
    McLaughlin
    Trickett-Smith
    Vigouroux

with one or two who might go - Markovic and Ilori

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

So then

Benteke £27m-32m
    Allen - £13m
    Ibe - £15m
    Smith - £3m-£6m
    Skrtel - £5m-5.5m
    Canos - £2.5m-4.5m
    Sinclair - £4m
    Alberto £3.75m
    Teixeira
    Rossiter
    Balotelli
    Toure
    Enrique
    Yesil
    McLaughlin
    Trickett-Smith
    Vigouroux

with one or two who might go - Markovic and Ilori

How hard was it for you write the name Canos there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That just means they've lost any sense of realism.

For a lot of people, liverpool is this fantasy land entertainment source. The people who don't understand that it's an actual bricks and mortar entity that can go out of business from mismanagement or recession just the same as your local textile factory.

I frankly don't give a toss about the opinions of someone who doesn't understand that Liverpool were on the brink of collapse before FSG took over. Where many many other clubs in our position folded under their own bloated weight and dropped down, we actually held firm, got our feet under us and gained real, genuine financial stability. Sure, some people will always act like children, always demanding more shiny things, but that doesn't make them right.

A real title run, and 4 finals winning one isn't big time massive success, but given the circumstances and level of competition it's not bloody bad.

I am quite aware of what precarious position we were in when they took over but when they did it was a very big club with good players.

Once the deal went through then the financial problems disappeared and the club returned to profit very quickly.
    The club was never insolvent but straddled with debt from the leveraging of the previous owners.

So are you saying because of this FSG should get a free pass and are above criticism?
    Do you really think they bought Liverpool just to rescue it?
    No, they made a shrewd business decision and managed to get one of the world's biggest brand names on the cheap and it's now worth a hell of a lot more.
    Remember when they arrive they said they were here to win and can compete with any club in relation to transfer fees and wages. Have they done this?
    I don't think so. I think they could easily afford to spend £40-50m on a player every now and then instead of scraping the bargain basement.

Of course people keep defending him for "rescuing" the club which I don't think they did, as there were plenty of interested prospective buyers.

I'm judging them on what they have done for the team and they could have done a lot better. 6th-8th place is not where we should be.

With all the bitter tears I could hardly see the screen! :pac: That said Balotelli cheered me up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

mav79 wrote: »
    All we need is someone who can take a corner now. ;)

Robbie Brady? Can play at left back and can take a corner.

But he's Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Great that Balotelli is gone. And really kind of liverpool to bake him a cake and give him a good send off.
    http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/920827/25734188/1417664692280/10710906-25734187-thumbnail.jpg?token=ZIXk0GfNI5%2FZkqm%2F6Scp%2Fq0MmbM%3D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

With all the bitter tears I could hardly see the screen! :pac: That said Balotelli cheered me up :)
    I have his picture of Mike crying into Harrys coffee....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Can see Everton finishing ahead of Liverpool this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Yea they're slightly further north .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If we bought Bolasie, Williams and Sissoko for 72m I wouldn't be happy at all.

We'll still finish above them.

I can't believe that people think signing 4 first team players in one window isn't "enough business". Maybe Klopp just doesn't see left back as a priority. I don't... City won the league multiple times with Clichy and Kolarov. Neither are world beaters... we've improved our attack and I feel confident enough that we've at least taken steps to improve our defence with Matip and Karius. I don't think people realise how good Matip was for Schalke. He'd have cost us 30m easily in the current climate. Also his 17 goals for Schalke show he knows how to attack a corner. Will be nice to have that from a cb again.

Agreed. And the Matip deal was done way in advance, long before some of our fans probably even knew what the fella looked like.
    He was a great signing.

So why is it so hard to believe that Klopp has a LB in mind who he thinks he has a good chance of getting in Jan or the Summer and is waiting rather than spend money on a player who he doesn't want?

Why does the entire squad have to be sorted immediately? It's not ideal, we'd all love to have a top class LB but we didn't get one so lets trust his faith in Milner and move on for now...

He's been called "irresponsible", "negligent" and "Wenger-esque" so far for not buying a player he didn't want/couldn't get.

Its getting a bit silly.

• Advertisement

7fe60543f2db625057222d4d9ee1127f.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

The Ballotelli news.........

012.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

On the outs, so great business done......on the new signings like always, all will need time to adjust but Matip/Mané look very promising. Wijnaldum doesn't look great at CM but obviously needs a bit of time, Karius looked good, Klaven done ok for a backup.

Each player bought adds something we didn't have last season, Mané with his pace and power, Wijnaldum goals from CM (hopefully), Matip leadership from the back and a target for set pieces, Karius good communication, calmness and organisational skills for the back.....disappointed we didn't upgrade LB but overall happy enough, its a bit unrealistic to think all our signings will be hits but encouraging that we set out to address some of the short falls of the squad all the same....

17 Players sold this summer and 8 so far out on loan how bloated was the squad.

25 players out and we still have a squad of 25+ players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Some people just love to moan.

'FSG gave to much money for player, FSG didn't give enough money for players'

'FSG sold him to cheap, 'FSG should have given him away'

'The manager needs to add to the squad, the manager needs to add first team players'

Fans are a fickle bunch.

This is Klopp first window where he is making changes and you can clearly see what he is trying to do. First and foremost was to shift players who are not in his plans or who want to move on, is it 15 out already?

Secondly was to improve the first 11 and provide the team with higher quality rotational players. Karius, Matip and Mane all improve out first 11 and Wiljumudium offers a lot of versatility (I'm thinking Kuyt type player, hopefully he turns out as well and gives as much), Klavan is an upgrade on Skrtl and Gruijic will will eased into the PL.

In total we brought six new players in and fifteen out. That is a massive amount of changes and will have caused quite a lot of disruption to the squad (friends leaving, new personalities coming in etc).

Now I totally agree with the majority of posters here and do think we need a new LB and a CM/DM but maybe Klopp has decided that 21 changes is enough for one window or more likely he has his eye on one or two players but they are not ready to move just yet/may only have a year left on their contacts/their club are not willing to sell just yet. Just because we have not got in a LB or CM does not mean Klopp does not have a plan or targets and we could see these spots being improved next.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    So are you saying because of this FSG should get a free pass and are above criticism?
    No, so long as the criticism is valid. Bu they've backed their managers, invested a LOT in the team especially under Kenny. The transfer buys ended up being quite poor for the most part, but obviously FSG had nothing to do with the scouting personally - and they've always been very quick to change the model when it didn't work. Under their tenure, we've gone from the totalitarian manager approach that Hicks & Gillette had which was a complete failure under Hodgson, to the director of football approach which failed with Kenny and Camolli, to the transfer committee approach with Rodgers, to hiring the very best manager they could get and letting him have final say.

They deserve their criticism when each other these things goes wrong (and they've gotten plenty of it), but equally they deserve praise for continuing to actively develop and look for the approach that best fits the club, which hopefully they've achieved now with Klopp.
    Do you really think they bought Liverpool just to rescue it?
    Nope, obviously they saw a sleeping giant that with the right ownership could become great again. But it has taken that right ownership to get us back to th eposition we're in. As you specifically mentioned we eventually returned to profitability - if that was such a simple thing, why didn't we do it under H&G? Because plenty of owners would have gone short term, asset stripped and gotten rid.

For better or worse, FSG have been patient, astutely putting in the work to regain the global brand, and frankly I don't think anyone could have done it better. The deals we're finally getting now are in a different stratosphere to what we were accomplishing beforehand, and a large part of that comes from the experience they had with the Red Sox.

So no, they didn't just buy Liverpool to rescue, but make no mistake, they did rescue it.
    Remember when they arrive they said they were here to win and can compete with any club in relation to transfer fees and wages. Have they done this?
    I don't think so. I think they could easily afford to spend £40-50m on a player every now and then instead of scraping the bargain basement.
    A few things to consider here - one is the big caveat of FFP, which FSG made plenty of very vocal statements about. They were perhaps naive in this regard, but if FFP worked the way it was supposed to (remember it came into place at the same time they bought) we actually would be about on par with the majority of clubs. the lack of it hasn't meant we can't spend less, btu it's meant that a smal clutch of clubs can afford to spend amounts that are frankly way above the norm.

As for your 50m players...yes, they probably could take that sort of risk, but should they? You don't know how these things will go - as Klopp has pointed out it cold be viewed as irresponsible to invest that much money in an asset that can instantly become null with 1 bad injury.

As for bargain basement? Well thats just silly, we haven't been bargain bin hunting since the days of Poulsen, Konchesky and Ivanovic under H&G. We haven't necessarily bought well, but we've spent a LOT.

And I can't blame them for being reiticent to move into the world of super high level transfers - remember the one time they did this, trusting their manager (Kenny) and buying Carroll for a top 10 world record transfer fee? ****ing disaster.

So I can't blame them for wanting to stick to the high-but-not-stratospheric fees we're currently paying for the likes of Firmino, Wijnaldum, Mane etc.

And just on the topic of 50m pound players - those are literally only the top 20 transfers of all time.

I have plenty of problems with their buys and have criticised the club plenty for it of late, but I want it spent well and responsibly.
    Of course people keep defending him for "rescuing" the club which I don't think they did, as there were plenty of interested prospective buyers.
    Sure, if only Venky's had picked us instead of Blackburn.
    I'm judging them on what they have done for the team and they could have done a lot better. 6th-8th place is not where we should be.

I agree, at the end of the day, we've underachieved on the pitch at times, and 8th is not where we should be. Given the assets and resources at our competitors disposal, 5th or 6th is probably more about right. Hopefully with Klopp we can overachieve and do better.

But where you say that people will look back at this period, see only one real title challenge, and 4 finals, with a number of poor league finishes and equate it to abject failure, I say that's fine. People are entitled to be ignorant of context, it just means they should be ignored or informed by others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

I think Klopp will go for Can and Wijnaldum, and we'll see Wijnaldum given a bit more freedom to push forward than we've seen when he's beside Henderson.
    By the end of the season it could be Can and Grujic as the midfield pairing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Are we top of the table? The net spend table.

From James Pearce

Markovic off to Sporting on loan. Ilori and Sakho stay. No loans for Randall and Brannagan

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/771081311087894528
    Last deal of the day involving #LFC set to be Markovic loan to Sporting. Sakho and Ilori both staying put. No loan for Brannagan/Randal

Klopp clearly doesn't fancy him, but i'd have actually liked to have keep a hold of him. We saw how much we lacked pace without Mane against Burnley...Marko is probably the only one close to Mane in this regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Looks like Tottenham are about to do "a Tottenham" on Everton by snatching Sissoko at the last minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Looks like spurs are up to their old tricks. Can't sneek in and nick a player from under our noses so they've decided to do it to Everton. They've just matched Evertons 30mill bid for sissoko.

• Advertisement

Klopp clearly doesn't fancy him, but i'd have actually liked to have keep a hold of him. We saw how much we lacked pace without Mane against Burnley...Marko is probably the only one close to Mane in this regard.

Moreno has speed to burn.

But it seems no one likes him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Pity about Markovic, I still feel he wasn't really given a proper chance under klopp. The manager must have more faith in Ojo to cover as the winger.
    Everton & Spurs fighting it out for Sissoko.. 30M :eek:

Thats true, but I more meant in our forward lines.

Origi has it too, but beyond that it's more a case of lads with quick feet than raw pace.

As said above though, opens up possibilities for Ojo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Speed to burn but the brain of a Geordie Shore viewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

He doesn't have the cojones to play for Liverpool Football Club

Thats true, but I more meant in our forward lines.

Origi has it too, but beyond that it's more a case of lads with quick feet than raw pace.

As said above though, opens up possibilities for Ojo.

He could do a job as a winger I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

****ing disgrace how the summer and deadline day are over,and we are preparing for a season with arguably the worst midfield and defence in the league,we have become so average it ****ing scares me,good luck with this squad Mr klopp cos your gonna need it

Doodoo wrote: »
    Looks like spurs are up to their old tricks. Can't sneek in and nick a player from under our noses so they've decided to do it to Everton. They've just matched Evertons 30mill bid for sissoko.

Decent player, he'll strengthen them (literally) big time. I really don't like Spurs (does anyone).

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

shamrock55 wrote: »
    ****ing disgrace how the summer and deadline day are over,and we are preparing for a season with arguably the worst midfield and defence in the league,we have become so average it ****ing scares me,good luck with this squad Mr klopp cos your gonna need it

Bit of an overreaction. Lot of that going on around here.

• Advertisement

giphy.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement