Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

shamrock55 wrote: »
    ****ing disgrace how the summer and deadline day are over,and we are preparing for a season with arguably the worst midfield and defence in the league,we have become so average it ****ing scares me,good luck with this squad Mr klopp cos your gonna need it

Jesus wept would you have a smoke and a calm down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Far from an overeaction,it's very real and if you can't see it I'm sorry for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

****ing disgrace how the summer and deadline day are over,and we are preparing for a season with arguably the worst midfield and defence in the league,we have become so average it ****ing scares me,good luck with this squad Mr klopp cos your gonna need it

Ah jasus

Coutinho doesn't play in the front 3 so himself and Can alone elevate our midfield to well above PL average :)

Defence isn't that bad either, Clyne, Matip & Lovren are no where near the worst in the league. To be fair to Moreno he's not either :)

I'll concede our back 6 probably isn't PL Top 6 but they wouldn't be far off and it's impossible to really quantify such things.

Add in the ole coaching and you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

To be honest I was expecting Klopp to sign the whole German World Cup winning team.

So I am disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Augeo wrote: »
    Coutinho doesn't play in the front 3 so himself and Can alone elevate our midfield to well above PL average :)

Defence isn't that bad either, Clyne, Matip & Lovren are no where near the worst in the league. To be fair to Moreno he's not either :)

I'll concede our back 6 probably isn't PL Top 6 but they wouldn't be far off and it's impossible to really quantify such things.

Add in the ole coaching and you never know.

This is true - I mean, I really like our forward options and think they're about as strong as they could reasonably be. Midfield options are good, aside from just needing that bit more defensive bite. Would sacrifice Lucas and Stewart to have just one tough, mobile, defensive minded beast.

Defence I think we're pretty well stocked too, especially if Sakho stays and Klopp can make him cop on a bit - it's just that left back spot that's troublesome.

We're very very close to a really well rounded complete squad, which is what makes those little holes all the more frustrating, as they're not even difficult positions to fill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Far from an overeaction,it's very real and if you can't see it I'm sorry for you

If it's affecting you to that level maybe you should stop watching soccer for a bit!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Jaysus we've done well to get any points this season so. Relegation battle here we come i guess. I can only assume its a poor attempt at getting a reaction (tho successful so maybe not that poor...)
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    This is true - I mean, I really like our forward options and think they're about as strong as they could reasonably be. Midfield options are good, aside from just needing that bit more defensive bite. Would sacrifice Lucas and Stewart to have just one tough, mobile, defensive minded beast.

Defence I think we're pretty well stocked too, especially if Sakho stays and Klopp can make him cop on a bit - it's just that left back spot that's troublesome.

We're very very close to a really well rounded complete squad, which is what makes those little holes all the more frustrating, as they're not even difficult positions to fill.

But every team has holes... almost all at fullback. Would we be happy if Valencia was our starting right back? City are in a similar situation to us at left back. Arsenal have two good fullbacks but questions elsewhere. Walker is the English Moreno and Chelsea play an old centerhalf at rightback.

We could be better at leftback and i'd have been thrilled with Hector but i don't see it as a huge issue when you look around the league at the standard of fullbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

shamrock55 wrote:

I hope that this is some form of sarcastic joke. No one is surely having a meltdown this early on? If so, I strongly suggest giving football a break for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

We play 7 midfielders so it's grand. Hope Clyne doesn't get injured or we'll have to play Milner there too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Just saw this on Twitter. Not sure if it's true.
    FeckinAngryKlopp ‏@Angry_Klopp 18m18 minutes ago

@GraemeKelly1
    Klopp net spend at #BVB
    1st season £1.23m
    2nd season £3.87m
    3rd season £1.49m
    4th season - £523k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

tumblr_nphms1f4VD1u3bh5ro1_500.gif

Window closes no LB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sounds about right when you remember the sales of Şahin, Kagawa, Barios, net spend in the last year 47 million euro - his worst!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just saw this on Twitter. Not sure if it's true.

So what your saying is this is his highest negative net spend in the last 5 years for Klopp???

FSG OUT !!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

arguably the worst midfield and defence in the league

Do you actually think we have a good midfield and defence

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Thank fck the transfer window is closed anyhow, get away from that nonsense for a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So Reus in January then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

Sissoko to Spurs for £30M. Newcastle laughing all the way to the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ardent wrote: »

Was better than Pogba at Euros. A shrewd purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Ardent wrote: »

Delighted. That's a shocking bit of business. He's decent when it suits him which is once in a blue moon. The Newcastle fans are over the moon.

EDIT:Mentioned the Moon twice...poor on my behalf. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was better than Pogba at Euros. A shrewd purchase.

Indeed. Could add the kind of steel and drive from midfield that we could have used. Mind you there are big doubts over his attitude and it was fairly shady the way he hung Everton out to dry without even bothering to contact them.

He is better then wijnaldum anyway,but that wouldn't be hard either

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Galvanized!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Do you actually think we have a good midfield and defence

Do you actually think we have the worst of both in the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

So, can anyone who was "shocked" when a LB want signed by close of business describe the feelings they had, post an odd selfie and generally share with the rest of us what it's like to have a life where LFC not signing another LB causes such dramatic feelings?

Also, please post examples of other traumatic events which shocked you recently like the battery on your mobile phone running out before bedtime or a coffee from Starbucks costing €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

So, can anyone who was "shocked" when a LB want signed by close of business describe the feelings they had, post an odd selfie and generally share with the rest of us what it's like to have a life where LFC not signing another LB causes such dramatic feelings?

Also, please post examples of other traumatic events which shocked you recently like the battery on your mobile phone running out before bedtime or a coffee from Starbucks costing €3.

I'm still shocked..

Klopp had about 3/4's of a season to look at the squad before making any real signings. Which is grand because it gives every player a chance to prove themselves.

He's now bought players to improve Goal-keeper and Central Midfield which is also grand because we've been short on Midfielders for quite some time, we've also had an error prone keeper and he signed Karius. Ticking all the boxes so far. He signed Mane to improve our attacking options and the player is really looking like the real deal.

Klopp has trimmed the squad down to a number, thats about right for the competitions that we're involved in.

All good points so far.

Then you have a LB that has continuously let the side down with absolutely ridiculous decision making which has resulted in losing goals in two cup finals and costing goals in numerous league games. To not sign someone for that position, imo is just baffling especially after dropping that player for Milner. What happens if Milner picks up an injury?

If You're happy with Moreno as cover for LB, Well then.. I just cant argue any further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

daithijjj wrote: »
    The Ballotelli news.........

012.gif

Was it yourself and me that had serious doubts about signing Mario?

I think we were in a small minority on this thread anyway, it seems way different to how some are remembering it. Called a deal on deadline day for him right as well. Thought it would be a loan but a free is getting him off the books so avoids reading about him next Summer at least.

Don't often get ones right so I'm crowing a bit on the Mario stuff!

Don't often often agree with Lloyd, and still wouldn't on marquee signings stuff, but this window was underwhelming. Even somebody like Cissokho would have done for cover, not set the world alight but dependable.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

17 Players sold this summer and 8 so far out on loan how bloated was the squad.

25 players out and we still have a squad of 25+ players.

That's is more a reflection of a poor transfer success over the last 3 or 4 years than anything else.

We were overloaded in attacking options for a few seasons so we addressed that. We still look light in 3, maybe 4 areas of the pitch. If somebody put up a squad depth post, most of us would question LB/RB and CM.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Just on FSG, when they took over things suddenly didn't become rosy financially just like that. We were paying far too high wages as a % of revenue, think it was high 80's, low 90's.

That all had to be addressed, Cole, the Janovic guy or however you spell it, Degen, stuff like that. They also went and spent 35 million cash, one up front payment on Andy Carroll!

So while I think the post "this is all a bit Wenger" nails FSG these days, they had to correct loads of problems from H&G's time.

Problem is they've had to correct their own mistakes transfer wise far too many times the last 3 or 4 years. They shouldn't making the same mistakes over and over.

Hopefully this window and Klopp sees less of getting good money, or in Mario's case a deal, any deal as good stuff, and more "well we are just upgrading on a
    player who did a job for us" type signings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

K-9 wrote: »
    Just on FSG, when they took over things suddenly didn't become rosy financially just like that. We were paying far too high wages as a % of revenue, think it was high 80's, low 90's.

That all had to be addressed, Cole, the Janovic guy or however you spell it, Degen, stuff like that. They also went and spent 35 million cash, one up front payment on Andy Carroll!

So while I think the post "this is all a bit Wenger" nails FSG these days, they had to correct loads of problems from H&G's time.

Problem is they've had to correct their own mistakes transfer wise far too many times the last 3 or 4 years. They shouldn't making the same mistakes over and over.

Hopefully this window and Klopp sees less of getting good money, or in Mario's case a deal, any deal as good stuff, and more "well we are just upgrading on a
    player who did a job for us" type signings.

You mean this guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think the outcome is the squad isn't good enough to compete with those around us and end up top four at the end. If Klopp thinks he can work with it and produce a better season than last, fair enough - it's on him ultimately. People can say he's not a 'chequebook' manager or cite his transfer policies at Dortmund but the context of the Bundesliga five / six year's ago and the Premiership now are pretty different to put it mildly. In the context within which Liverpool must operate and compete in now, the level of investment in the squad is absurd.

Who carries the can? Who are the star players? Coutinho / Sturridge / Mane I guess? Because they are flakey talents and after that I see a lot of middling to good players. I don't see a lot of pace or huge variations in skill set nor do I see a fully cohesive central midfield picture. How good is a Clyne / Lovren / Matip / Milner back four?

Our approach means we can fail. Finish 8th, win nothing, not the end of the world. Club is financially stable no matter what happens. We're not depending on CL money, we don't have more than one or two players who would be itching to ply their trade at that level anymore either. You could look at that as a positive. That's a definition of well run I suppose. But I can never remember such an unambitious squad or such unambitious transfer activity from the club in a summer window bar 2010. Middling. Mediocre. Safe.

Of course we have Klopp. He's a world class manager. But it's really all on him now. I think that ultimately this summer could have sowed the seeds of his demise. Hopefully people are right and it really has been his own decision not to chase more.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Our approach means we can fail. Finish 8th, win nothing, not the end of the world. ...............

If we finish 8th this season, with no EL to contend, and if it looked we were 8th ish for most of the season I reckon things would get grim quite quickly.

Past achievements and reputation wouldn't count for much then.

Can't see us not challenging for 4th or finishing below 6th tbh, all considered that's where we are and it might be another season or two before we actually get CL football again.

But 5th/6th and in or around 70 pts and you'd be seeing reasonable progress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How good is a Clyne / Lovren / Matip / Milner back four?

Better than Clyne-Skrtel-Sakho-Moreno I suspect! :D

Sometimes I hate this thread.. people upset at something that was never happening. People unwilling to give a world class manager the benefit of the doubt that he might have a clue what he's doing, but they know better really. We'll never amount to anything with Moreno still in the squad. Forget that we got to two finals with him last year in Klopps first year in charge with zero players that he brought in.

But the premiership is different to the Bundesliga ofc, and thats correct. There's no team close to as good as the Bayern team that Klopp took on and beat doing it HIS way.

Whats the point of even hiring him if we're gonna be disgusted when he tries to do it his way..? At the end of the day it might not work but to sit here in crisis mode when we've played 3 away games to start the season with good results against two of the best sides in the league, two of our major competitors but and write off our chances is just mind boggling to me.

If Klopp thinks he can coach these guys up then I believe him. And if he can't well the journey will be a bit of craic anyway and he can go again next summer. He's going nowhere for a LONG time.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Sometimes I hate this thread.. people upset ...............

To be fair you seem upset yourself :)
    Follow your own advice and chill out, see what happens.

After the EL final I didn't think it was the end for Moreno, I hoped for a LB over the summer. We now have our eggs in the Milner & Moreno basket, that's fine imo now that the new LB isn't happening, like anything see how it pans out.

Augeo wrote: »
    To be fair you seem upset yourself :)
    Follow your own advice and chill out, see what happens.

After the EL final I didn't think it was the end for Moreno, I hoped for a LB over the summer. We now have our eggs in the Milner & Moreno basket, that's fine imo now that the new LB isn't happening, like anything see how it pans out.

Frustrating reading rubbish first thing in the morning. And yeah its complaining about people complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Sometimes I hate this thread.. people upset at something that was never happening. People unwilling to give a world class manager the benefit of the doubt that he might have a clue what he's doing, but they know better really. We'll never amount to anything with Moreno still in the squad. Forget that we got to two finals with him last year in Klopps first year in charge with zero players that he brought in.

But the premiership is different to the Bundesliga ofc, and thats correct. There's no team close to as good as the Bayern team that Klopp took on and beat doing it HIS way.

Whats the point of even hiring him if we're gonna be disgusted when he tries to do it his way..? At the end of the day it might not work but to sit here in crisis mode when we've played 3 away games to start the season with good results against two of the best sides in the league, two of our major competitors but and write off our chances is just mind boggling to me.

If Klopp thinks he can coach these guys up then I believe him. And if he can't well the journey will be a bit of craic anyway and he can go again next summer. He's going nowhere for a LONG time.

This isn't ****ing Jonestown. I like Klopp and think he's a really good manager, but I'm ****ed if I'm going to have anyone badgering me into silence if I think he gets it wrong from time to time. Don't like that? Locate the ignore button and knock yourself out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Happy to let Klopp build his squad the way he wants as are the majority, but if this LB situation blows up in his face I wont be sympathetic or rush to defend him........similarly if it works out I'll praise him.

Top managers make mistakes all the time, I'm not saying criticise every little decision or every single transfer, but if something looks off then he'll be called on it. If you are happy with our LB options then you have nothing to worry about. I think it will cost us but thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

corwill wrote: »
    This isn't ****ing Jonestown. I like Klopp and think he's a really good manager, but I'm ****ed if I'm going to have anyone badgering me into silence if I think he gets it wrong from time to time. Don't like that? Locate the ignore button and knock yourself out.

This is Sergeant Williams from the The Internet Tit-for-Tat Service (TITTS). We've had reports of tit-for-tat disturbances in this thread. Please keep these incidents to a minimum, otherwise TITTS will have to deal with you. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Looks like Sturridge wanted a deadline day move to Arsenal on loan. Will be tough for him to go back to the fans after that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

But I can never remember such an unambitious squad or such unambitious transfer activity from the club in a summer window bar 2010. Middling. Mediocre. Safe.

Really? You have a short memory...

Season 14/15
    Emre Can £10,000,000
    Rickie Lambert £4,000,000
    Adam Lallana £25,000,000
    Lazar Marković £20,000,000
    Dejan Lovren £20,000,000
    Divock Origi £10,000,000
    Alberto Moreno £12,000,000
    Mario Balotelli £16,000,000

(Only Can and Orig really got people excited, a lot of negativity towards Balo and the Soton trio)

Season 13/14
    Luis Alberto £6,800,000
    Iago Aspas £7,000,000
    Kolo Toure Free
    Simon Mignolet £10,000,000
    Tiago Ilori £7,000,000
    Mamadou Sakho £18,000,000

(Only Sakho was really a positive sign)

Season 11/12
    Jordan Henderson £16,000,000
    Charlie Adam £7,000,000
    Doni Free
    Stewart Downing £20,000,000
    Jose Enrique £6,300,000
    Sebastian Coates £7,000,000
    Craig Bellamy Free

(It was said we were overpaying for Hendo and Downing, the rest very meh...)

That's 3 of the last 6. I think this is the bets summer window we've have overall, bringing in only a small number of carefully selected players, and getting rid of a LOT of dead wood. We only have max 50 game this season, don't need 3 players for every position...

DuffleBag wrote: »
    Looks like Sturridge wanted a deadline day move to Arsenal on loan. Will be tough for him to go back to the fans after that..

It was goal.com reporting it, i would take it with a truck ton of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

^^^ This 100%

Vicxas wrote: »
    It was goal.com reporting it, i would take it with a truck ton of salt.

Doesn't Melissa Reddy who is one of the ITK journo's write for goal.com.

Doesn't Melissa Reddy who is one of the ITK journo's write for goal.com.

Wasn't her reporting on it.

K-9 wrote: »
    That's is more a reflection of a poor transfer success over the last 3 or 4 years than anything else.

We were overloaded in attacking options for a few seasons so we addressed that. We still look light in 3, maybe 4 areas of the pitch. If somebody put up a squad depth post, most of us would question LB/RB and CM.

Isn't that the whole point thought how bad our previous transfer windows were just buying players for the sake of it.

Yes we are still short in both fullback positions not just LB and yes we could do with one more CM but buying any player for the sake of filling those roles has been proved wrong.

I'd say one of the hardest positions in world football to fill is fullback when they are going to be a key player in your attack.

Attacking fullbacks are ten a penny attacking fullbacks that can also defend are a lot harder to find and then get they will cost a fortune and I doubt they would go to a club with no European football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Vicxas wrote: »
    Wasn't her reporting on it.

Yeh, it was on the Arsenal side. She is not far behind Echo levels of reliability now. And a lot cuter than Uncle Jimbo!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement