Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Some folk are ridiculous when it comes to Henderson.

No player in the EPL has more successful passes than him so far this season. That's the stats people are so fond of.

Versatility seems to be a negative these days as some players are trying to impress despite being shifted around the pitch a lot. I saw Henderson furthest man forward when England were on the break at the start of the second half yesterday, does a lot of graft for his team and gets fk all appreciation for it.

A dog in the street knows he isnt a DM but when he has to do it he doesnt sulk like others pro's who have grand opinions of themselves. Others pick up the leftovers while a player like Rooney can 'do whatever he wants'.

Meanwhile, i'd guess some are still pining for the lad who found his level battling it out with Glen Whelan and Charlie Adam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Augeo wrote: »
    Henderson does look a shadow of the midfielder we had in 2013/2014, when he was red carded before the run in we all had that oh sj1t feeling. If he picked up a 3 game ban now it'd save Klopp the bother dropping him :(

Henderson has never been that great, unless he was being positioned as an attacking midfielder. He is simply not good enough as a CM. He doesn't have the passing range, the composure or the brain to play that role.

He's basically a really shít version of Steven Gerrard in that role, because he doesn't have Stevie's freakish physical attributes or his natural talent to cover up his flaws.

Henderson's awfulness as a CM should not be a surprise to anyone who has watched him over the last number of years.

Play his as an AM, and you'll see far better.

daithijjj wrote: »
    Some folk are ridiculous when it comes to Henderson.

No player in the EPL has more successful passes than him so far this season. That's the stats people are so fond of.

Versatility seems to be a negative these days as some players are trying to impress despite being shifted around the pitch a lot. I saw Henderson furthest man forward when England were on the break at the start of the second half yesterday, does a lot of graft for his team and gets fk all appreciation for it.

A dog in the street knows he isnt a DM but when he has to do it he doesnt sulk like others pro's who have grand opinions of themselves. Others pick up the leftovers while a player like Rooney can 'do whatever he wants'.

Meanwhile, i'd guess some are still pining for the lad who found his level battling it out with Glen Whelan and Charlie Adam.
    Folks should be able to comment that Henderson isn't at his best, be concerned he mightn't get back to it, remark that last season's injury was at a bad time without getting that speel thrown at them imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Not a great sign when Clichy is second on the LB list, and Lucas on the DM list!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

The same lad that had an outstanding euros and was named in the team of the tournament. Yep, found his level alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

SlickRic wrote: »
    Henderson has never been that great, unless he was being positioned as an attacking midfielder. He is simply not good enough as a CM. He doesn't have the passing range, the composure or the brain to play that role.

Disagree. He's a CM for me, never an AM.

I too think the criticism of him has been OTT this year. Sure, he played shoite against Burnley and hasn't been in brilliant form.

His passing is good, his work rate is good and, contrary to most, I think he is an OK captain. Who's would be better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well no one can say we aren't an exciting side under Klopp.

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/772771357666992128
    106 - Since Jurgen Klopp took over, Liverpool games have seen more PL goals than any other side (F60 A46). Entertainers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Posting this apropos of nothing. Saw it tweeted earlier today. Looking back, Torres was absolutely unstoppable at that stage of his career (admittedly helped by Senderos in this game it must be said) and I'd forgotten what a huge role Babel played in that match.
    https://twitter.com/LFCVine/status/772551044073226240

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well no one can say we aren't an exciting side under Klopp.

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/772771357666992128

Shows that Klopp doesn't need a traditional striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Now that Mother Teresa is a Saint does it mean we'll be making a £20m bid soon???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Dickerty wrote: »
    Not a great sign when Clichy is second on the LB list, and Lucas on the DM list!

Willems will be in big demand tho. And I reckon we'll make a move for Taylor from Leeds.

No Gruijic tonight so he'll play against the Ireland U21 tomorrow probably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

mosstin wrote: »
    Posting this apropos of nothing. Saw it tweeted earlier today. Looking back, Torres was absolutely unstoppable at that stage of his career (admittedly helped by Senderos in this game it must be said) and I'd forgotten what a huge role Babel played in that match.

Kolo with an assist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Kolo with an assist

It was an easy enough pass to make and I think Crouch should really get the credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Spoilt we were.......some great European nights over the years under Rafa.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Isnt Grujic Serbian? Kinda miffed to not see him play tonight.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    It was an easy enough pass to make and I think Crouch should really get the credit.

:confused: Think he's talking about Kolo fouling Babel for the peno?

Not sure Crouch was even on the pitch at that stage, Babel came on for him if I remember correctly?.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

My take from that...

- Diaby and Babel - what could have been for both players, eh? Obviously very different circumstances but flashes of brilliance around that time.
    - Sami Hyypia's goal - magnificent. What a player.
    - Fernando Torres... A real privilege to have seen him at his best.
    - Walcott - bloody hell, what a run.
    - Did Damien Plessis make his debut in that game or was that in a league game v Arsenal? Blast from the past, I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Vicxas wrote: »
    Isnt Grujic Serbian? Kinda miffed to not see him play tonight.

He is.

- Did Damien Plessis make his debut in that game or was that in a league game v Arsenal? Blast from the past, I know.

Definitely not the CL game anyway

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »
    Spoilt we were.......some great European nights over the years under Rafa.....

And a large portion of our idiot fans drove the man out when he was the only thing holding it all together. Still makes me angry.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    And a large portion of our idiot fans drove the man out when he was the only thing holding it all together. Still makes me angry.

If ever there was a case of 'be careful what you wish for'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The owners drove him out, I doubt he cared what some idiot fans thought tbh.

5starpool wrote: »
    If ever there was a case of 'be careful what you wish for'.

Yup. I'd like to say they were duped but i think its just the way fans are now. They just demand instant and constant success. Plenty of people already questioning Klopp who hasn't even been here a year.

I <3 Klopp but Rafa should still be our manager. With competent owners I honestly think he would have got us over the line.

martyos121 wrote: »
    The owners drove him out, I doubt he cared what some idiot fans thought tbh.

The fans turned on him. Its irrelevant if he cared or not they should have stood by him. The owners trying to placate the fans when they were actually the poison rotting the club from the inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The fans turned on him. Its irrelevant if he cared or not they should have stood by him. The owners trying to placate the fans when they were actually the poison rotting the club from the inside.

You said those fans drove him out though. That's the part that's wrong, agree with everything else you said.

Rafa under FSG could've been a match made in heaven, Klopp more than makes up for it though.

Some fans turned but I doubt many would have really minded if he was kept on another season, he still had a lot of supporters and many seeing his sacking as a mistake.........The owners seen an opportunity to get rid of a manager they never wanted but had to keep because he was highly regarded by the fans.....

Joe Allen with his first international goal! Oh wait....:o

No Gruijic tonight so he'll play against the Ireland U21 tomorrow probably

Surely he should be in the full Serbian first XI?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

NukaCola wrote: »
    :confused: Think he's talking about Kolo fouling Babel for the peno?

Not sure Crouch was even on the pitch at that stage, Babel came on for him if I remember correctly?.....

Looked like Kolo got a slight touch before the Torres goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

J Mysterio wrote: »

On tonight's showing, I think the U21s would beat the senior team.

Folks should be able to comment that Henderson isn't at his best, be concerned he mightn't get back to it, remark that last season's injury was at a bad time without getting that speel thrown at them imo.

Of course they can but it would help if they included that the player is being played not in his best position on a regular basis and the club think they can saunter through life not buying starting DM/CMs. If we had addressed issues we wouldnt have to change Hendersons place in the team from a few years ago.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    The same lad that had an outstanding euros and was named in the team of the tournament. Yep, found his level alright.

What does the team of the tournament mean, you'd take Allen over Bale?

Ballotelli was in the team of the tournament in 2012.

Of course they can but it would help if they included that the player is being played not in his best position on a regular basis and the club think they can saunter through life not buying starting DM/CMs. If we had addressed issues we wouldnt have to change Hendersons place in the team from a few years ago.

Where would Henderson play in Klopps team if not CM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Joe Allen with his first international goal! Oh wait....:o

International performances only count in Henderson's favour.

I think the Kenny connection will always give Gordan a bit of leeway in some quarters.

• Advertisement

I can appreciate where you're coming from but another transfer window just gone and we bring in Wijnaldum which is a head scratcher. Grujic seems to be another that should be / will be better more advanced than sitting deep.

All that accepted if Henderson doesn't outshine Can or Wijnaldum he won't be starting many games for us next season, can't see him challenging Mane, Coutinho or Lallana for a starting spot further up the pitch either.

If we did bring in a starting DM/CM Hendo would have one less place to fight for a start. I'd love to see him recover his best form be it through being played in a better position or whatever as he was incredibly good for us in 2013/2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Thank God someone said it. I am so sick of that trumpet being blown. So he was in the team of the tournament for his performances over over what, 6 games?? Everyone remembers El Hadji Diouf right??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Most International sides are reluctant to play youngsters in there national team especially in central positions.

I'm not sure why Allen has been dragged in to a debate where Hendersons performances have been questioned......As far as this thread goes I dont think anyone wanted Allen starting in our CM or is suggesting Allen is better than Henderson either........also not sure why you'd want to continually put the player down when he was nothing more than a fringe player for us, done well if unspectacular when called upon, bought for 15M and sold for 14M with one year left on his contract......maybe people expect more from Henderson, there are a number of reasons for this and I dont think thats unfair. One player was a sub the other is a captain and first team starter....

So basically

original.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Players have different strengths, styles, characteristics shocker!

I'd have to wonder why we kept Lucas over Allen as it is hard to see where he fits in. If it was purely a financial decision that's a bit worrying tbh as plenty of money was brought in with player sales and just paring down the squad.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Allen wanted to leave and was fit, Lucas wanted to leave (?) and got injured so Klopp saw his chance to keep him.

It doesn't really matter which on we kept, Lucas will be gone next Summer and we'll see little of him on the pitch. Same would have applied to Allen had he stayed.

It's mentioned that Klopp failed to buy a LB,CM etc but we could not get the targets Klopp wanted so he didn't want to just waste money on anybody. I have still yet to see any players suggested who would improve us that we could have realistically bought.Both positions are hard to find top quality players.

Juventus also struggled to buy another CM after Pogba was sold. Also Klopp has converted players from wingers to full backs previously in Durm & Grosskreutz who both done well too. Just buying anybody i.e Balotelli & has not worked in the past. Klopp has faith that he can improve players & I'm sure he will.

MD1990 wrote: »
    ...... I have still yet to see any players suggested who would improve us that we could have realistically bought.Both positions are hard to find top quality players.

FFS not more LB chat

FFS not more LB chat
    FFS some fans complaining about signings 3 games into the new season.

Just for you left back fans - Tony Barretts first article since joining joe.co.uk

http://www.joe.co.uk/sport/liverpool-jurgen-klopp-transfer-window-inside-story/84124

Thats it. Good man. Compare like with like.

Team of the tournament means he's had a great euros. He was outstanding for Wales. How did Whelan and Adam compare against him this summer ..the two players you mentioned he found his level at with stoke?

Was in the Kop that night. The only time I've watched a game from there. Unbelievable. We were roaring at mash to take walcott out of it for their equaliser. What a game. What a team we had. How did we not win a league with that lot?

Just for you left back fans - Tony Barretts first article since joining joe.co.uk

http://www.joe.co.uk/sport/liverpool-jurgen-klopp-transfer-window-inside-story/84124

Good article.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement