Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Was in the Kop that night. The only time I've watched a game from there. Unbelievable. We were roaring at mash to take walcott out of it for their equaliser. What a game. What a team we had. How did we not win a league with that lot?

Read the article with Xabi in the Guardian. Quite illuminating in parts re failed title challenges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Just for you left back fans - Tony Barretts first article since joining joe.co.uk

http://www.joe.co.uk/sport/liverpool-jurgen-klopp-transfer-window-inside-story/84124

Super article which really puts to bed all the conspiracy theories that FSG were somehow preventing Klopp doing the transfer business he wanted to do.

I really love his approach and the calm confidence he has in his own ability to improve players and create a winning team rather then just buy it in. FSG's offer of a 6 year contract to him underlines the fact that they too share his philosophy and are prepared to give him the time he wants to do it his way.

Love it love it love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Can't believe anyone would think klopp is being stymied by fsg. I'd say klopp would let us know if that was the way it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Just reading the daily mail article with Klopp and this part really stood out for me :

'Here is a moment when the club needs consistency in this chair — they need the right person and I am the right person, because most of the time I am really serious, but normal.

‘I am not saying there was no-one else around. The club would have found another manager, and I would have found another job — maybe an easier job. But I liked this club before I came here.

‘It wasn’t a big decision for me. It was the only club that could have broken up my holiday. I had enough offers, I was saying, “No, no, sorry, not now . . . ”, and then came Liverpool. And I know how this sounds, and what people will say, but I fell in love.'

That's just poetry to my ears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Just for you left back fans - Tony Barretts first article since joining joe.co.uk

http://www.joe.co.uk/sport/liverpool-jurgen-klopp-transfer-window-inside-story/84124
    Is there anything to be said for giving Fabio Aurelio a ring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Is there anything to be said for giving Fabio Aurelio a ring?

Always a hero for the free kicks against Chelsea and United but wow, just read his playing bio and I don't think he managed one full season between 2004 and 2014 when he retired! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sakho is back training with the first team today according to Paul Joyce was it Barrett that said Sakho wouldn't get a look in with the first team squad again this season if he stayed.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Sakho is back training with the first team today according to Paul Joyce was it Barrett that said Sakho wouldn't get a look in with the first team squad again this season if he stayed.

I think he said he wouldn't get a game. Even if he did say that he wouldn't train with the club, things change. It could have been true at the time.

Are you posting this because you want to show that Barrett is s spoofer and that we shouldn't listen to him? If that's the case then every post that has something uttered by a journalist must really annoy you.

Super article .............

Do folks take Barrett's musings as 100% fact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Exactly, Barrett usually just gives his opinion on OTB or Second Captains, I'm sure he'd admit himself he often gets it wrong. He reckons Sturridge and Klopp are fine btw.

I'm just surprised Klopp didn't think even a stopgap loan option at LB wasn't worth a go, seems a bit of a no brainer to me. We already have one of those at LB!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Alonso (praise be upon him) article from the Guardian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

J Mysterio wrote: »

Can you forward that to Henderson as soon as asap as possible .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

K-9 wrote: »
    Exactly, Barrett usually just gives his opinion on OTB or Second Captains, I'm sure he'd admit himself he often gets it wrong. He reckons Sturridge and Klopp are fine btw.

I'm just surprised Klopp didn't think even a stopgap loan option at LB wasn't worth a go, seems a bit of a no brainer to me. We already have one of those at LB!

Klopp doesn't want us to pay over the odds, he must not have had a view of our recent transfer history....We paid over the odds for Mane but he was deemed a necessary acquisition. There is no positive spin to put on our left back situation when we have only 1 option who is seen as not being better in that position than Milner. We'll see how that plays out but we conceded 6 in 3 so that will need to improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Augeo wrote: »
    Do folks take Barrett's musings as 100% fact?
    Not his personal musings no but the value in that article were the direct quotes from Klopp ref transfers and how he prefers to operate.

5starpool wrote: »
    I think he said he wouldn't get a game. Even if he did say that he wouldn't train with the club, things change. It could have been true at the time.

Are you posting this because you want to show that Barrett is s spoofer and that we shouldn't listen to him? If that's the case then every post that has something uttered by a journalist must really annoy you.

No I was asking was it Barrett as I couldn't remember which Journo it was and after a bit of Googling I found it was Pearce that said it and he was also slapped down by Lucas for bringing his name into the whole thing.

• Advertisement

No I was asking was it Barrett as I couldn't remember which Journo it was and after a bit of Googling I found it was Pearce that said it and he was also slapped down by Lucas for bringing his name into the whole thing.

Things certain journalists write should be taken more seriously than random twitter/forum people, but in the most cases are still just opinion or 2nd hand information which is sill subject to being wrong.

I don't mind readin any of it, even the bizarrely made up at times, but some people on here (which you clarified you weren't doing) seem to take one of two extremes on it.

1. Acting like because XYZ said it that it simply must be true, or:
    2. Being delighted when the likes of Barrett, Pearse, Joyce, etc are wrong as it shows them up to be the spoofer the poster believes them to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I would say, ‘Carra, shut the fuck up, you have no idea!’ He liked all of that: the confrontation.”

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ERG89 wrote: »
    Klopp doesn't want us to pay over the odds, he must not have had a view of our recent transfer history....We paid over the odds for Mane but he was deemed a necessary acquisition. There is no positive spin to put on our left back situation when we have only 1 option who is seen as not being better in that position than Milner. We'll see how that plays out but we conceded 6 in 3 so that will need to improve.

Do you really think we paid over the odds for Mane?

If I've is worth £15m then Mane is easily worth double that.

Things certain journalists write should be taken more seriously than random twitter/forum people, but in the most cases are still just opinion or 2nd hand information which is sill subject to being wrong.

I don't mind readin any of it, even the bizarrely made up at times, but some people on here (which you clarified you weren't doing) seem to take one of two extremes on it.

1. Acting like because XYZ said it that it simply must be true, or:
    2. Being delighted when the likes of Barrett, Pearse, Joyce, etc are wrong as it shows them up to be the spoofer the poster believes them to be.

Yes and we are here to discuss these things as fans hence the title of this thread has Gossip and Rumours in it whether these stories come from an ITK or so called ITK Journo's or from ransom Twitter accounts from other fan sites or complete spoofers as you call them these stories are up for discussion and the Sakho story was one of the biggest of the summer if not the biggest.

So every post by posters on here must really annoy you when it comes to the Gossip/Rumour part of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Do you really think we paid over the odds for Mane?

If I've is worth £15m then Mane is easily worth double that.

Ibe for that much was comical by Bournemouth it's not a sensible gauge I'd use for our business. We did pay a lot for a player who has only got Premier League experience & we didn't really have much competition for him but Klopp wanted him as he added something to our team so we paid what we were asked to. We knew we had a priority at left back as our options last sesson were Moreno who we have already dropped 1 game into this season, Flanagan who we loaned, Gomez who is injured again & if we are scraping the barrel Enrique who is somewhere waiting for the FIFA 17 demo.

• Advertisement

Yes and we are here to discuss these things as fans hence the title of this thread has Gossip and Rumours in it whether these stories come from an ITK or so called ITK Journo's or from ransom Twitter accounts from other fan sites or complete spoofers as you call them these stories are up for discussion and the Sakho story was one of the biggest of the summer if not the biggest.

So every post by posters on here must really annoy you when it comes to the Gossip/Rumour part of this thread.

Posting of gossip or rumours doesn't annoy me, as I said above. What annoys me is that some people either treat it as pure fact or else as 100% outright lies even if it comes from the better sources who are more likely to be better informed, but are still far from infallible.

Extremes are bad.

Also, yes, a lot of things in general annoy me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

we paid the going rate for mane,given his contract and age imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yep, don't think it was way over the odds for a PL star player.

£34/36 million is £20/25 million from a couple of years ago. Ibe probably 7-10 million.

Trying to put it in context, bargain territory is probably anything up to 20 depending on how you define it. Before maybe 10-12 million, a Sturridge or Coutinho.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Premier League Cup (which is not the Johnstone's Paint Trophy thing) group stage sees Liverpool with Huddersfield Town (LFC and HTFC seem to be hand in glove these days!) Ipswich Town, and WBA.

edit for the U23 (and Lucas, Sakho etc)

we paid the going rate for mane,given his contract and age imo

Yup.. all sale prices seem decent too but it's the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The Premier League Cup (which is not the Johnstone's Paint Trophy thing) group stage sees Liverpool with Huddersfield Town (LFC and HTFC seem to be hand in glove these days!) Ipswich Town, and WBA.

What's the Premier League Cup? Underage tournament?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    What's the Premier League Cup? Underage tournament?

Under 23's.

Wikipedia of the brackets in the link.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016%E2%80%9317_Premier_League_Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

NukaCola wrote: »
    Where would Henderson play in Klopps team if not CM?

Advanced of Can and the player we should have bought in the last 4 years.

For a club with our money we can do better than Joe Allen, Kevin Stewart, Milner and Wijnaldum for this slot imo but we rarely even get whispers of anyone in the position.

If we are playing Firmino up top i see no reason why we couldnt put Henderson centrally in the 3 of a 4231. A position he found himself in a lot of the time in that season we finished 2nd. By design or default he found himself there and was comfortable doing it.

Seems mad to me we dont use the engine he has for nicking balls off toes of opposition DM's and putting players under pressure which he is very good at. He wouldnt be used as an 'unlocker' or creative player. We had lots of success when he played there, and alongside Lallana/Mane, who also run their nuts off i think it could work. All playing off Firmino/Sturridge.

The only problem i see is fitting in Coutinho (who doesnt have the energy and/or physicality of those 3. All of which can be debated.

Anyway, the point is Henderson has to play where he does now because we are too weak in that area which was my original point, especially when Can is injured. When Can is injured we are filling holes with players who are too old or dont have the legs (Lucas/Milner) or too young (Grujic) or not naturally having the skillset (Wijnaldum?). Henderson is filling in imo. And if he isnt good enough as a DM/CM why is there not more 'furore' during discussions about Henderson that we havent done much about it, are any of the others good enough when Can is out?, why not?. We have decent players but tactically we can be picked off imo as our squad is set up to play one way.

Back in full training now.

Crr6zUDWcAAfdmB.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Thats it. Good man. Compare like with like.

Team of the tournament means he's had a great euros. He was outstanding for Wales. How did Whelan and Adam compare against him this summer ..the two players you mentioned he found his level at with stoke?

Not saying Allen is sh1te but many sh1te players do well in tournaments. We have signed a few. See Diao and Diouf for reference.

• Advertisement

Worst fans in the world.

https://twitter.com/ECAEurope/status/772886732903677952
    ECA Special Moment Award goes to @BVB & @LFC! Congratulations! #ECA_GA #ECA_Awards

The Boys from Brazil now that's a partnership in only 3 games.

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/773074135509499905
    6 - Philippe Coutinho and Roberto Firmino have created 6 chances for each other in PL 2016/17, more than any other duo. Understanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Back in full training now.

Crr6zUDWcAAfdmB.jpg

iu.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

iu.gif

Jesus i could look at that all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Jesus i could look at that all day.

Be careful or you'll go blind.

daithijjj wrote: »

The only problem i see is fitting in Coutinho (who doesnt have the energy and/or physicality of those 3. All of which can be debated.............

Henderson needs to form/create a partnership with Can in a midfield two to hold down a starting place.

Early indications are that Wijnaldum won't be putting Hendo on the bench and with Milner at LB, Lucas seemingly not part of Klopp's midfield plans Henderson should have plenty of games to cement his place for the season.

If Lallana is dropped or not fit that might well open up an opportunity for someone to play more advanced with Coutinho roaming a tad on the left, Henderson might well get a chance than but the crux of your point is than obvious, who will play with Can? There have been plenty of mention from loads of us that a really good CM is required, some reckoned that was more important than a new LB. Work in progress etc etc etc.

If Milner is played at LB & Sturridge either on the bench or a supporting role to Firmino than Henderson being played where he is as opposed to further forward isn't going to change anytime soon. To be fair to him if he's fully fit he's well capable of putting in a shift there while not earning player of the year type accolades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

daithijjj wrote: »
    Not saying Allen is sh1te but many sh1te players do well in tournaments. We have signed a few. See Diao and Diouf for reference.

I don't think Diouf even did that well in the WC, we'd already pissed the money up a tree before the tournament even started. Did he even score a goal? (maybe in the 3-3 draw with Uruguay?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

kfallon wrote: »
    I don't think Diouf even did that well in the WC, we'd already pissed the money up a tree before the tournament even started. Did he even score a goal? (maybe in the 3-3 draw with Uruguay?)

He was brilliant in their first game v France, ran them ragged...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Diouf would have cost 50% more AFTER the world cup, so it was a lucky thing he was bought so early really.

• Advertisement

Diouf would have cost 50% more AFTER the world cup, so it was a lucky thing he was bought so early really.

Yeah, real lucky......
    Anelka, no.....Diouf, yes.....nice one Houllier :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Dickerty wrote: »
    He was brilliant in their first game v France, ran them ragged...

I remember watching it and thinking diao had zidane in his pocket all game and how delighted I was haha

I remember watching it and thinking diao had zidane in his pocket all game and how delighted I was haha

Zidane didn't play in that game, he was injured for the first two group games so......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

CrvNF8NWIAASMSN.jpg

I'm done. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

CrvNF8NWIAASMSN.jpg

I'm done. :o

Jaysus...

Looks like a normal trip to the shops for a professional football player... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Is that Moreno?

If I remember correctly, he had a similar picture going around a while back of him walking the dog on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Lads he's in his 20's... the amount of dumb stuff that I bought back then. I also don't see why its any reason to mock the lad, personally it looks like a bit of craic.

If that was Mane in the pic there wouldn't be any "ffs" or the like being posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Lads he's in his 20's... the amount of dumb stuff that I bought back then. I also don't see why its any reason to mock the lad, personally it looks like a bit of craic.

If that was Mane in the pic there wouldn't be any "ffs" or the like being posted.

When he did it with his dog, it seemed like a bit of craic. I suppose seeing him on a hover board while pushing a baby in a pram just seems a little off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Knex. wrote: »
    When he did it with his dog, it seemed like a bit of craic. I suppose seeing him on a hover board while pushing a baby in a pram just seems a little off.

I'd imagine he's fairly handy on it. He hasn't come across as a genius either but i hate the way fans just jump on a player for things that are completely fine. He's literally doing nothing wrong in those pictures. Its not like he's doing it while holding the baby by the legs. There's enough to give Albie sh*t over without rubbish like this.

Its not just him either, stuff like this just annoys me. Footballers are allowed to do stuff for a laugh the same way we all did in our 20s or do now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's 24 and a millionaire, more money than sense, leave him off.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement