Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/five-liverpool-youngsters-ready-break-8784495

Mirror pick out 5 youngsters to make the breakthrough to the first team.

Sheyi Ojo, Ben Woodburn, Adam Phillips, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Ovie Ejaria.

Anyone with more familiarity with these players want to shed some insight? I'm always wary of these lists but we have seen a few more young players get chances in recent years. Rodgers and Klopp were willing to gamble on some players tbf.

Are we finally seeing the fruits of Benitez's labour with the youth academy? Or are these the latest in a long list of players that includes Craig Lindfield, etc that didn't amount to anything?

From what I have seen, I think Ojo should get a few opportunities this season. He looks keen so once he can shake off his injury, we might see him a few times. Alexander-Arnold has the benefit of being a right-back so he might get a chance too since we're short there.

Woodburn looked good in pre-season but is very young so I don't expect to see him, and I'm not really familiar with Phillips or Ejaria.

Anyone else in the academy we should look out for?

They're all ****ing brilliant and will be mainstays of the squad in two years :D

/wakes up

Okay Woodburn is Fowler-esque in his composure in front of goal, has a canny knack of seeing the space to score rather than the keeper ready to make a save. Dead eye. Alexander-Arnold is listed as a midfielder in the new squad lists interestingly. Started as a Bale style right back but has played right side of midfield at youth level, Adam Phillips looked to have it all before him then got badly injured on loan at Swindon last season, highly rated but looked well off the pace in a couple of recent U23s after 9 months out. Ovie Ejaria has taken me by surprise - looked a bit gangly, soft and Arsenally when he joined the U18s two summers ago but clearly has come on as he has filled out and strengthened a bit. Certainly has tekkers. Ojo is my new love (!), like Ejaria you'd have wondered why Liverpool were interested esp as he cost a bomb (for a 15 year old) it's clear that he has something about him, not sure where he'd be best played, left wing I guess with Mane on the right now but both can play either flank (or through the middle - Ojo makes a decent false No 9). As for comparisons with previous youth eras - from a straightforward technical point of view they are a quantum leap ahead of anything since the early 90s crop but obviously that doesn't mean they are any more likely to break through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Oh well they got the Harry seal of approval looks like they are all headed for lower mediocrity and let go on free :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Dunno if any Liverpool fan could like Clough after his comments on Hillsborough almost as bad as the rag

Yeah same here. Always found him to be a fascinating character but what he said about Hillsborough was as disgusting as it was ill-judged.
    And he backed it up a 2nd time weeks later too.

He sort of half-heartedly did a U-Turn but that was only 12 years later.
    And even then he acknowledged that he had been "mis-informed and changed his opinion" but what he should have done was apologised wholeheartedly for all the offence he caused the families and the damage he did with his comments to people trying to prove what had actually happened.
    And he didn't do that.

Still, two wrongs never made a right and Saunders is a sneaky knob for those lies he told about Clough just to get a cheap laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Paul joyce confirmed tonight that the club has agreed a plan to redevelop the anfield road stand. Should take the capacity to over 60,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

FSG out. ;)

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »
    Paul joyce confirmed tonight that the club has agreed a plan to redevelop the anfield road stand. Should take the capacity to over 60,000

Let's hope they consulted with our pending Chinese overlords first ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Link to the article below...

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/708711/Liverpool-Anfield-new-stand-Leicester-City-Jurgen-Klopp-John-W-Henry-Ranieri

...even if it's only one line in the artilcle.

Also, Steve Nicols autobiography, '5 League Titles and a Packet of Crisps', out today, has a few extracts below as well.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/news/the-night-steve-nicol-set-liverpool-team-mate-gary-abletts-wife-on-fire-and-more-from-that-book/ar-AAiCtOq?li=BBoPOOl&ocid=mailsignout

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Some more (less flattering of photos from the new stand here.

https://twitter.com/KopJaffer_LFC/status/773938141086511108

I have seen nothing to suggest that this is not just the agreement that was made at the same time the Main Stand redevelopment was agreed. It has still not been fully decided to actually proceed with it. Hopefully they will make the decision to do it sooner rather than later, but I suspect it will be a while yet while they see how the new projected revenue and stand naming rights go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Hopefully the extra 8,000 fans are vocal & get behind the team because Anfield's atmosphere apart from some of the Title run in 2014 & some EL games last year has been very poor. Need to get behind the players rather than hearing moans of disapointment & taking photo's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Cr2hstqW8AA3H7P?format=pjpg&name=large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That steward better watch himself, Klopp is eyeing him up big time there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

Also, Steve Nicols autobiography, '5 League Titles and a Packet of Crisps', out today, has a few extracts below as well.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/news/the-night-steve-nicol-set-liverpool-team-mate-gary-abletts-wife-on-fire-and-more-from-that-book/ar-AAiCtOq?li=BBoPOOl&ocid=mailsignout

Been reading extracts over on the Echo during the week, was one of my favourite players back in the day, seemed he could play in any position and put in a good performance. Also had an assist and won the penalty in the match that secured Liverpool's last league title!

Harry will be happy tonight. Liverpool u-23's were 2-0 down to Brentford and Ben Woodburn came on and scored twice to level it. The first was bad goalkeeping or lucky bounce, but the second one was a lovely finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

5starpool wrote: »

As far as I'm aware the brown girders are not permanent and the one seat with the grey beam... grand for a kid or Danny Devito.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Been reading extracts over on the Echo during the week, was one of my favourite players back in the day, seemed he could play in any position and put in a good performance. Also had an assist and won the penalty in the match that secured Liverpool's last league title!

Nicol's magnum opus as a player was the hat-trick vs Newcastle - all crackers - in the 1987/88 season from full-back. Superb write up about his influence on that season - by the great Scott Murray - here. Nicol was a wonderful footballer.

Grayditch wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware the brown girders are not permanent and the one seat with the grey beam... grand for a kid or Danny Devito.

Or our Jay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Harry will be happy tonight. Liverpool u-23's were 2-0 down to Brentford and Ben Woodburn came on and scored twice to level it. The first was bad goalkeeping or lucky bounce, but the second one was a lovely finish.

That kid is ****ing brilliant. I'd like to see him included in the first team squad where possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

Grayditch wrote: »

Ya that's what I was thinking as well. The girders are not permanent, plus you can't see if that photo was actually taken from a seat, he could be standing on a step or something.

With the other one, sell it to a child for a reduced price, or remove it, or give it to Danny De Vito/Tom Cruise.

Not that happy the kids lost the tie on penos. :mad:
    J Mysterio wrote: »
    That kid is ****ing brilliant. I'd like to see him included in the first team squad where possible.

Ah now as much as I'd like to see it I think a season pottering about with the U23s would be wiser, give him time to grow a bit but I reckon he might just do a Sterling next season, and go straight into the senior squad. I was looking at the Brentford discussion forum (bookmarked from the Sergi Canos loan honest!) and someone wondered if they could get Woodburn on loan until it was pointed out he was only 16.

His touch vid from last night - he only came on at 60 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Ah now as much as I'd like to see it I think a season pottering about with the U23s would be wiser, give him time to grow a bit but I reckon he might just do a Sterling next season, and go straight into the senior squad. I was looking at the Brentford discussion forum (bookmarked from the Sergi Canos loan honest!) and someone wondered if they could get Woodburn on loan until it was pointed out he was only 16.
    Ideally he should be given until 2018 to fully develop. He'll have to be managed carefully, once he starts making regular first team appearances at a senior level the pressure will be on Chris Coleman and the Welsh FA to give him regular caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Is the largest image photoshopped no? Can see the beam going through the concrete....

klose wrote: »
    Is the largest image photoshopped no? Can see the beam going through the concrete....

No idea, but apparently most of those beams were only temporary anyhow and won't be there now, so not too much of a problem actually it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

No idea, but apparently most of those beams were only temporary anyhow and won't be there now, so not too much of a problem actually it seems.

Bitter auld photo spread, I'd hazard.

Someone on skyscraper city made a lego obstruction picture and put it up on an Everton message board just to see them lap it up. Presumably he'll reveal it to be a fake at some point. People get their kicks in all sorts of ways!

14292351_10205873016819343_925659104122366656_n.jpg?oh=195ed3a756241b5e208fe3f67861b9ad&oe=5843D814

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Someone on skyscraper city made a lego obstruction picture and put it up on an Everton message board just to see them lap it up. Presumably he'll reveal it to be a fake at some point. People get their kicks in all sorts of ways!

Any link?

x43r0 wrote: »
    Any link?

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1720930&page=131

You know, I'm starting to have my doubts about this so called toffeeweb joke, there is a structure in that Annie Road corner but it hard to tell how intrusive it is from the photos taken on the pitch. The fact seats are there doesn't necessarily mean there are tickets for them (though this being football....!)

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Cr2hstqW8AA3H7P?format=pjpg&name=large
    martyos121 wrote: »
    That steward better watch himself, Klopp is eyeing him up big time there.

yeah but he didn't cop Nicky Butt sitting behind him did he!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

kop77 wrote: »
    yeah but he didn't cop Nicky Butt sitting behind him did he!!!!!!!!

I often use his name as a retort to bad news, or something daft.

i.e, "Coutinho is injured for the weekend".

"Ahh, that's absolute Nicky Butts anyway".

I assume I'm not the only one. Right guys?

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    I assume I'm not the only one. Right guys?

Lol, Oh I wouldn't be so sure fella! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Saw some pictures of the tunnel entrance and the "This is anfield sign" looks a bit high to be touching now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Does construction start on the Anfield Road End start soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

rob316 wrote: »
    Saw some pictures of the tunnel entrance and the "This is anfield sign" looks a bit high to be touching now.

Not to worry klopp wont let them touch it

BOHtox wrote: »
    Does construction start on the Anfield Road End start soon?

Nope, the planning stage is as was - they can but no decision has been made.

Anyway the gangs all here for the unveiling

Cr6XINrWIAEQRk_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Cr6XINrWIAEQRk_.jpg

No sign of Michael Owen -- has he been given the heave-ho?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Cr6XINrWIAEQRk_.jpg

Strange that Henderson's not there as club captain. Couldn't imagine them doing something like this without Gerrard while he was at the club.

Unless I just cant see him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Cr6XINrWIAEQRk_.jpg

Which one is M!Ck^ ?

Henderson invisible again! I can see Tony Benn and Paul McCartney!

Henderson invisible again! I can see Tony Benn and Paul McCartney!

You mean there's other people in that picture of Linda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Which one is M!Ck^ ?

I love everyone in a suit and tie and Kloop in an informal shirt and jeans!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I love everyone in a suit and tie and Kloop in an informal shirt and jeans!

I thought he was fine until I noticed he was wearing a pair of converse..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Whos between Hyppia and Carra ?

He is familiar but not sure why, almost looks like Jan Molby if he'd been on a crash diet.

If it turns out to be Kevin Keegan that'll be embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

GBX wrote: »
    Gary Gillespie ????

I would say so

dizgillespie?! he missed out an i or y for the best twitter handle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

brevity wrote: »
    I thought he was fine until I noticed he was wearing a pair of converse..

What's wrong with converse?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    What's wrong with converse?

Nothing. It's good to talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

mosstin wrote: »
    Nothing. It's good to talk.

(channelling Toby)

corwill wrote: »
    (channelling Toby)

We don't need to know what you and Toby get up to in the privacy of your bedroom.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement