Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder where Lineker will have us on MoTD Manchester will be number 1 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

3rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

MOTD running order: ManU/ManC, WHU/Wat, Liv/Lei, Sto/Tot, Ars/Sou, Boro/CP, Bou/WBA, Bur/Hull. Bags of goals. Late at 10.50 due to Proms 1f644.png

https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/774678503572791296

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Vicxas wrote: »
    People were going mad about it. I think it looked fine.

Weird for the first ten minutes then I just got used to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

It will just take a bit of getting used to I guess. I preferred it the old way too to be honest. But we'll be used to it in no time.

Win 4-1 and the camera could be sitting behind the corner flag :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Ye.. same as that, I'm delighted with the route/plans the owners have for Anfield.

If they revamp the Anfield road end as planned within the next two years, then its only going to benefit the club.

Some people just don't like change.

Late at 10.50 due to Proms

Sweet!

A take-away in time for The Proms and maybe catch a bit of MOTD after.

Doesnt get much better than that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Sweet!

A take-away in time for The Proms and maybe catch a bit of MOTD after.

Doesnt get much better than that!
    Wayhay, livin' life on the wild side:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Overall got to be happy with today. Beating the champions and all that.

Conceeded goal was annoying but it was just a silly individual error that can happen from time to time, wish we'd get a clean sheet soon though just to get confidence into that defence. At Stamford Bridge would be perfect.

Thought Mane was our man of the match today; his transfer fee looks a bargain already.

Was also impressed with Matip, Lallana and Firmino.

Sturridge also had a good game and showed some pace which many had said was gone.

7 out of 12 poiints which we would have been happy with before the season start. After the Chelsea game we have a run of winnable games so we could be right in the mix around Christmas time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

7 points from 4 games. 3 games against tough opponents. Good start & in Mane & Matip 2 signings that look significant improvements in what we had. Hopefully get Can back fully fit & we have a very strong team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

murpho999 wrote: »
    Overall got to be happy with today. Beating the champions and all that.

Conceeded goal was annoying but it was just a silly individual error that can happen from time to time, wish we'd get a clean sheet soon though just to get confidence into that defence. At Stamford Bridge would be perfect.

Thought Mane was our man of the match today; his transfer fee looks a bargain already.

Was also impressed with Matip, Lallana and Firmino.

Sturridge also had a good game and showed some pace which many had said was gone.

7 out of 12 poiints which we would have been happy with before the season start. After the Chelsea game we have a run of winnable games so we could be right in the mix around Christmas time.

I just saw Lucas describe it as his first assist in ten years :D

EDIT:https://twitter.com/empireofthekop/status/774686619790082049

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

All of our goals this season have been great. The goals we concede are errors. No team is ripping us apart, we do that all by ourselves .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

What was wrogn with it?

Ball has to leave the 18 yard box before a player can enter it. Ball was still in it when the Leicester player ran to close down Lucas, he ran through the box. Goal kick should have been retaken

MD1990 wrote: »
    7 points from 4 games. 3 games against tough opponents. Good start & in Mane & Matip 2 signings that look significant improvements in what we had. Hopefully get Can back fully fit & we have a very strong team.

I'm not getting too excited yet because every time I do something like Burnley happens but yeah I'm cautiously bursting at the seams with excitement.

That's why Lucas is Boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Assuming they can't all start who sits on the bench?

Lallana
    Coutinho
    Firmino
    Mane
    Sturridge

Lallana
    Coutinho
    Firmino
    Mane
    Sturridge

Sturridge wont start against Chelsea anyway. I'd put money on that.... if I had any

Lallana
    Coutinho
    Firmino
    Mane
    Sturridge

At the moment it's Coutinho I think. Sturridge hasn't got much mention today but I thought he was great.

I'd be surprised if Coutinho didn't start against Chelsea with Sturridge on the bench and Firmino leading the attack again.

Lallana is undroppable in current form and his workrate is what you need away to Chelsea. Mane too is crucial.

I'd actually like to go with Origi & Firmino (with Coutinho benched) away to Chelsea but I dunno what state Origi is match fitness wise.

Nice chats to be having, plenty strnght up front and AM at the moment.

Mane, Firmino & Lallana are guaranteed starters after that it's a toss up between Coutinho & Sturridge and I don't think Sturridge will start many away games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Sturridge wont start against Chelsea anyway. I'd put money on that.... if I had any

Yeah think he will miss out away to the top sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Pretty good stuff overall. We blow hot and cold during games a bit. Haven't seen much sustained dominance - it's more about a potential threat at any time, but that's fine as well.

Leicester were ****e, to be fair.
    I thought they were ****e against us last season but they were well below that even.

I think any of Lallana, Henderson, Firmino, Sturridge, Mane or Milner would've been worth a MOTM shout. They were all brilliant. Hugely enthused by Sturridge especially. So much more effective, great effort put in and doing basically everything we need from him.

I think we'll need to play a little differently against better sides (like next Friday).
    More smooth controlled possession, less erratic brilliance.
    There'll be a higher premium on efficiency and possession so you'd imagine the likes of Sturridge will drop out and maybe Wijnaldum for Can if he's fit.
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Good to see Lucas' mistake didn't matter in the end.

And that's the way it should be.

The way we play, as with Rodgers, will always rely on attack over defence, no matter how good our defensive players are.

And these are usually the things the manager will say in public that the goal was their fault because playing out from the back puts pressure on our players and if he wants us to keep doing it, the players have to know that they have some leeway.

Lucas was excellent in the main. It's just unlucky everything came together to punish him there - probably the only two errors he made all game, a pass putting him under pressure, being in a dangerous area of the pitch, the ref missing the kickout decision on Okazaki.

**** happens.
    Referees need to get their act together, two wrong offside calls today to add to the pile of them we've already had this season. And I don't know how there was nothing given for the push on Firmino.

Humans should not be handling offsides.

It can't be done.

And it leads to far more incorrect goal decisions than goal-line calls ever did so really it should be a priority.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

MD1990 wrote: »

The really annoying thing is that we lost the game that you don't describe as tough.

I know aberrations happen, but we'll have an annoying amount of them. I can see us beating Chelsea and then losing to Hull or Swansea.

I love that our best is reminiscent of 3 years ago, and our worst actually, although I don't love that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

sturridge looked more like sturridge today than at any stage last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Let's not get carried away... you know what happens after a fcuking awesome performance.....

5starpool wrote: »
    The really annoying thing is that we lost the game that you don't describe as tough.

I know aberrations happen, but we'll have an annoying amount of them. I can see us beating Chelsea and then losing to Hull or Swansea.

I love that our best is reminiscent of 3 years ago, and our worst actually, although I don't love that.

I think if we'd played with the team that started today we'd have done fine against Burnley.

It just a question will things line up often enough for all our direct goal threats getting in against the teams that'll sit deep.

In fact it's almost a stroke of luck that Mane will be missing against Utd, Chelsea and Spurs and just two teams that'll be ultra-conservative in Hull and Swansea. Unless Chelsea and Utd play ultra-conservatively as well.

In an open game I think we've enough options without Mane's directness but he's near irreplaceable against teams who park the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Fk it, I'm getting carried away. I'm all but done with pragmatism, reason and sensibility, only to come up short anyway. Gonna try the aul blissful ignorance for a bit, see how I get on.

Gbear wrote: »
    I think if we'd played with the team that started today we'd have done fine against Burnley.

It just a question will things line up often enough for all our direct goal threats getting in against the teams that'll sit deep.

In fact it's almost a stroke of luck that Mane will be missing against Utd, Chelsea and Spurs and just two teams that'll be ultra-conservative in Hull and Swansea. Unless Chelsea and Utd play ultra-conservatively as well.

In an open game I think we've enough options without Mane's directness but he's near irreplaceable against teams who park the bus.

Not being smart but I'd rather have Mane available for every game.

And his pace on the break against teams who attack us can be every bit as vital as anything he does against teams who sit back.

He was brilliant against Arsenal and Spurs, both of them attacked us.

''We done a Burnley''

Seems from here on in this will be what we say when we lose to a small club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Just watched the highlights there, going forward we really did look electric. The way Mane runs at players, you can see the opposition literally sh1tting themselves because they don't know what to do. How did Wijnaldum play? Highlights suggested he was a bit quiet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Just watched the highlights there, going forward we really did look electric. The way Mane runs at players, you can see the opposition literally sh1tting themselves because they don't know what to do. How did Wijnaldum play? Highlights suggested he was a bit quiet?
    Thought he did very well, but everyone did apart from that miscontrol by Lucas. Wijnaldum kept the ball moving through the middle even when under pressure, and his direct runs towards the box were always a threat. Going to be interesting to see how himself, Henderson and Lallana compete for places with Can

Not being smart but I'd rather have Mane available for every game.

And his pace on the break against teams who attack us can be every bit as vital as anything he does against teams who sit back.

He was brilliant against Arsenal and Spurs, both of them attacked us.

Ideally, but we can make do without him.

We did well against those kinds of teams last season as well.

What we don't have aside from him is someone who can crack 10 men behind the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Firmino and Mané are two players who I genuinely believe, however other teams' supporters will probably scoff, would fit into any other team in this league.

They are by far our two most important players, and make Kloppball tick.

A special shout to Matip, who got caught out once trying to rush the ball for Vardy's second half chance, but apart from looked very promising.

Also, since I give Mig a lot of stick, it's only fair I give him credit for that save from said Vardy chance. Not great from Vardy, but I was sure Mig would let it under him, but no.

Great win.

It's a great problem for Klopp to have. Also, notable that Origi is not mentioned in any of the above as well. He'll get his chances though,especially as injuries come into play up front.

I wonder will Karius have to wait until the Cup game against Derby for his debut? I suspect he will, as I doubt away to Chelsea after a long layoff will be his debut.

Its hard to see Ings getting a game

• Advertisement

mav79 wrote: »
    Its hard to see Ings getting a game

Still building up his fitness and I'm sure he'll be in cup matches. Injuries could tell later in the season too.

The Chelsea game will be the same then apart from Couts in for Sturridge and Lovren back in maybe. Then Derby with Origi, Karius, Grujic, Moreno and Klavan coming in probably.

Hopefully Can back soon too, perhaps for Derby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Game's up on MOTD in a couple minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

mav79 wrote: »
    Thought he did very well, but everyone did apart from that miscontrol by Lucas. Wijnaldum kept the ball moving through the middle even when under pressure, and his direct runs towards the box were always a threat. Going to be interesting to see how himself, Henderson and Lallana compete for places with Can

Considering he is a midfielder playing left center back.....................

He played excellent in that position apart from that idiot moment. Loads of times he intercepted great chances

• Advertisement

Just home from game.

It was very enjoyable!

Criticism from me against the champions can wait until tomorrow

Mr.H wrote: »
    Considering he is a midfielder playing left center back.....................

He played excellent in that position apart from that idiot moment. Loads of times he intercepted great chances

Completely agree, its the only thing he did wrong today that I can remember, was expecting him to get dragged out of position but he did great to read the danger numerous times. Hard to criticize anyone today.

Klopps old club beaten by promoted Leipzig today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

The commentary on motd is so pro English players it is hard to listen to. Sturridge had the best game he had in 12 months and lallana was excellent but mane and firmino did not get credit for their performance today as usual. Spurs can never do any wrong with their English players either and don't mention poor Joe harte

BBC in British/English bias shocker, sure RTE would only highlight the Irish players.

BBC in British/English bias shocker, sure RTE would only highlight the Irish players.

Most likely watching Last Night of The Proms beforehand had fired them up.

I don't remember when RTE had Premier League highlights that there was a major focus of Irish players on it in all fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

Liverpool are a strange team for me these days, while I never wanted ye to win anything, I love Klopp and want him to win something :mad:
    Why couldnt you just have been cool and hired Pardew :(

Did MOTD pickup on fact their goal was against the rules.
    Rarely see that happen, for a ref not to know the rules of the game.

Charizard wrote: »
    Liverpool are a strange team for me these days, while I never wanted ye to win anything, I love Klopp and want him to win something :mad:
    Why couldnt you just have been cool and hired Pardew :(

I think you are misusing the word 'cool' there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Did MOTD pickup on fact their goal was against the rules.
    Rarely see that happen, for a ref not to know the rules of the game.

Happens all the time.

To be fair a technicality shouldnt deny their deserving a goal when we made a huge mistake. We need to learn from it not excuse it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement