Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

NukaCola wrote: »
    Ok, lets manage risk here. Sakho has the ball, no-ones pressing. Sakho looks up and see's Gerrard and squares the ball perfectly. Ba's not really close to hurt Gerrard.

In this context all that could have happened was a slip or mis-control. It wasn't a common thing to be that high up and it wasn't a risky pass.

So yes, theres a risk, not huge risk being honest and yes you cant set up under the expectation that noone will **** up, but I dont think you can cover for every possible mistake either. You could make the same pass to Gerrard for the next 10 years and he'll never slip.......

I agree it should never happen, but sometimes they do, one of our CB's should be a bit deeper but they see a simple pass to Gerrard and think nothing of it......

See you're looking at this specific incident as something to be predicted - i'm talking about all defending in football in general. Sure you can't expect that particular incident to occur, but if you set up to to expect one of those 3 to get into trouble at some stage, ever, you can be prepared. Change your scenario to Sakho not needing to square it to Gerrard - make it so he has to pass forward and across, and now suddenly Sakho is an option to come across and cover.

Even in general, a squared pass is always the one that gives trouble when a striker is sprinting and able to nip in, because they beat both men at once. Staggered positioning stops this happening.
    NukaCola wrote: »
    Yea, Gerrard was actually level with our CB's, he was more central though which killed us.....

Exactly. Had Gerrard been higher than the CB's like in my crude wee diagram, we have an option. but when they're in line, you're toast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    See you're looking at this specific incident as something to be predicted - i'm talking about all defending in football in general. Sure you can't expect that particular incident to occur, but if you set up to to expect one of those 3 to get into trouble at some stage, ever, you can be prepared. Change your scenario to Sakho not needing to square it to Gerrard - make it so he has to pass forward and across, and now suddenly Sakho is an option to come across and cover.

Even in general, a squared pass is always the one that gives trouble when a striker is sprinting and able to nip in, because they beat both men at once. Staggered positioning stops this happening.

Exactly. Had Gerrard been higher than the CB's like in my crude wee diagram, we have an option. but when they're in line, you're toast.

Yeah, it was the squared pass across the box from Lucas that allowed Vardy nip in on Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Can't believe two and a quarter years later this is being discussed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Klopp wants to be 1st unlike a lot of people here who want to be 4th .
    It's great to have a manager who aims to be no 1 . If we fail then we get Champion league anyway by coming 2nd .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Worst supporters in the world any others would be still celebrating Saturdays performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

That title run was some of the best football ive ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Thought it was an interesting discussion myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ha, just be glad we're not talking about the facts speech!

It's great to have a manager who aims to be no 1 . If we fail then we get Champion league anyway by coming 2nd .

.... flawed concept.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Let's talk about Adam A Lama - Paul Joyce says he's going to get a new long term contract so he'll be worth about 50m by the end of the season when he goes to Man City. ;)

Why does Lallana always look so sad in interviews, it's like his cat just died.
    Every interview is so so sad :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Rogers in lime light tomorrow.
    Will he pull it off in front of a world wide audience

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Let's talk about Adam A Lama - Paul Joyce says he's going to get a new long term contract so he'll be worth about 50m by the end of the season when he goes to Man City. ;)

I'm not sure what's going on here. Did Harry and Toby swap accounts to post those?

• Advertisement

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKQ8BznBnXf/

''Saw off the other Neville after a few years this'll take a few hours! #''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Bloody no European football!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Rogers in lime light tomorrow.
    Will he pull it off in front of a world wide audience

Thats even weirder than the poster getting turned on by the lack of injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Thats even weirder than the poster getting turned on by the lack of injuries

It's all the sexy football the team is playing. The rake off us are going around pitching tents.

We'll have to beat Chelsea by 3 now on Friday to go second. Ah well, so be it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Looking at Mané's goal again, and it's perfect.

Defender sees an attacker coming into midfield and plays quick and direct to his feet (Lucas to Firmino)
    Attacker plays it short, back to forward-facing midfielder (Firmino to Hendo)
    Midfielder plays it quickly over the top where the space has been created from attacker coming deep (Hendo to Sturridge)
    Striker runs onto it, but doesn't cut in towards goal, keeping defender wide in the box (Sturridge)
    Other attacker crosses over into middle of box, which is now empty (Mané)
    Striker finds a pass to him, and he clips over the advancing keeper

Klopp would have been SO pleased with that. Quick passing, people making the smart running, Sturridge not just cutting in and shooting, Mane seeing the space and making himself available, and the speed we went from defense to attack.

Just perfect.

Dickerty wrote: »
    Striker finds a pass to him.............

Was some pass.

Augeo wrote: »
    Was some pass.

Sturridge also made a great run for the first goal to draw the defender out wide and create the space for Firmino to run in to.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Sturridge also made a great run for the first goal to draw the defender out wide and create the space for Firmino to run in to.

And contributes earlier in the move for Lallana's.

I hope he is as pleased with himself without getting a goal, as he would be if he'd have scored. I'm happier with that performance than his usual showing...

Was some pass.

Yeh, that was the only really pure skillful piece, the rest was about good execution of great coaching...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKQ8BznBnXf/

''Saw off the other Neville after a few years this'll take a few hours! #''

Carra was asked at the end of the show which of the Neville brothers he liked best, he said Tracey.

Was some pass.

Ah he was trying to run into the corner with it but missed the ball and the back of his foot inadvertently hit off it and it luckily diverted straight to Mane. Selfish fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

5starpool wrote: »
    Ah he was trying to run into the corner with it but missed the ball and the back of his foot inadvertently hit off it and it luckily diverted straight to Mane. Selfish fool.

Was most likely a shot.

I hope he is as pleased with himself without getting a goal, as he would be if he'd have scored. I'm happier with that performance than his usual showing...

Yeah he should be. I watched the game again last night and it really was a great team effort for 95 minutes.

Mane's energy is incredible and he gave great support defensively to Clyne down the right.

Henderson played a lot better than recently too.

Need to be more consistent now and put a good run together before the next lot of internationals in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

I always pay attention to Sturridge as he has a reputation of being a pout faced so and so but he genuinely looked delighted after that goal and a few of the other ones scored too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Looking at Mané's goal again, and it's perfect.

Defender sees an attacker coming into midfield and plays quick and direct to his feet (Lucas to Firmino)
    Attacker plays it short, back to forward-facing midfielder (Firmino to Hendo)
    Midfielder plays it quickly over the top where the space has been created from attacker coming deep (Hendo to Sturridge)
    Striker runs onto it, but doesn't cut in towards goal, keeping defender wide in the box (Sturridge)
    Other attacker crosses over into middle of box, which is now empty (Mané)
    Striker finds a pass to him, and he clips over the advancing keeper

Klopp would have been SO pleased with that. Quick passing, people making the smart running, Sturridge not just cutting in and shooting, Mane seeing the space and making himself available, and the speed we went from defense to attack.

Just perfect.

Just on Sturridge, going on the highlights on MOTD, I was impressed by his workrate when we attacked (didn't see much of gegenpressing in the highlights). I hope he keeps this up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

I'm a big fan of Clyne but am I the only one here who thought he was poor enough against Leicester? Made a lot of bad passes and made a few mistakes. Was alright going forward but more often than not he'd give the ball away. He's definitely not the same player he was last season. It's like he's lacking confidence or something but i'm sure with every game played, he'll get back to form.

Apart from the obvious players talked about since the game, I thought milner and henderson were great. Lucas and Matip were very good too, obviously with the exception of the lucas assist for Vardy! Didn't let it affect him and played well for the rest of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Colemania wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Clyne but am I the only one here who thought he was poor enough against Leicester? Made a lot of bad passes and made a few mistakes. Was alright going forward but more often than not he'd give the ball away. He's definitely not the same player he was last season. It's like he's lacking confidence or something but i'm sure with every game played, he'll get back to form.

Apart from the obvious players talked about since the game, I thought milner and henderson were great. Lucas and Matip were very good too, obviously with the exception of the lucas assist for Vardy! Didn't let it affect him and played well for the rest of the game.

I'm not convinced by clyne at all tbh,decent player,nothing more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I'm not convinced by clyne at all tbh,decent player,nothing more
    He was our most consistent player last season. One of the best RB's in the league. This season so far he has looked off form.

MD1990 wrote: »
    He was our most consistent player last season. One of the best RB's in the league. This season so far he has looked off form.

Maybe his international situation is affecting him. Didn't get many minutes in the Euros and then not picked again by Sam.

He should really retire from International football!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Isn't there some cr@p going on in the background about a sex tape he was somehow involved in years ago before he met his current missus or something like that? Wasn't that supposed to be the source of Klopp's slap down of the Scum reporter in pre season?

If it's anything like that it could be causing him all kinds of personal anxiety and that would be enough for anyone to be off their game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Isn't there some cr@p going on in the background about a sex tape he was somehow involved in years ago before he met his current missus or something like that? Wasn't that supposed to be the source of Klopp's slap down of the Scum reporter in pre season?

Wasn't that to do with Lovren's split from his missus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

kfallon wrote: »

That's what I heard too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Apparently there was stuff about Clyne too. Sex tape being leaked and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Is darmain still the best rb in the league or I wonder if that's changed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Clyne will be grand. He looked great in preseason, and I've little doubt he'll push on again.

I wonder has his role slightly changed since Milner is the LB now, rather than Moreno who would play it in a more traditional sense. Milner seems to have a higher starting point when we're building up, so Clyne might be told to sit a bit deeper and narrower as a result.

I haven't been able to watch the last two or three games in full, unfortunately, so I'm honestly only speculating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Course not, it's Sagna, Jenkinson, Debuchy Bellerin.

I hate to say it but Valencia is doing a super job at right back for United this season. Walker has been decent too I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Colemania wrote: »
    I hate to say it but Valencia is doing a super job at right back for United this season. Walker has been decent too I suppose.

The 2 of them plus Bellerín and Coleman are all better than Clyne, but that still makes him 5th in the league if there's not somebody I'm missing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

8-10 wrote: »
    The 2 of them plus Bellerín and Coleman are all better than Clyne, but that still makes him 5th in the league if there's not somebody I'm missing

Zabaleta and Ivanovic seems to be back at his best this season so far.

Clyne is a solid fullback 7 out of 10 every game and that's a good thing but he was getting bigger props because of Moreno's failings.

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »

Nah, she had an affair with a guy back in Croatia and was then looking for a divorce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

what's this nonsense about Clyne? He obviously has no final ball and his attacking instincts aren't the best but he's ****ing brilliant besides that.

Moreno came on for Mane at 90 minutes.

What position did he take up?

Did he go to left back or the wing?

I only watched the game again last night and still can't remember. The anti-Moreno tablets seem to be working!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yeah, he's still the best RB in the league but it's a different league now...:pac:

Moreno came on for Mane at 90 minutes.

What position did he take up?

Did he go to left back or the wing?

I only watched the game again last night and still can't remember. The anti-Moreno tablets seem to be working!! :pac:

Right winger!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement