Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

NukaCola wrote: »
    No way! Really? Absolutely ridiculous if true.......

This is from a couple of years ago.
    UEFA President, Michel Platini, threatened to punish Franck Ribéry if he refuses to play for the French National team. In an interview with the German Newspaper, Bild, Platini stated that according to the FIFA Statutes Ribéry must answer Didier Dechamps call if chosen to play. “If he does not come, he is suspended for three games with Bayern Munich,” said Platini to Marc Schmidt at Bild.

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/09/07/franck-ribery-will-face-suspension-if-he-refuses-to-play-for-french-national-team/

The rule is there whether or not it's ever been used I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Matip saying he's going to stay at Liverpool during the African cup:
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/joel-matip-stay-liverpool-go-11893825
    Isn't there a rule if a player refuses a call up for his Country they can block him from playing for his club while those internationals are being played.

Jesus, surely not? That seems like a mental rule!!

Anyway, you wouldn't expect Matip to play in the AFCON - he's had a self-imposed exile from international duty for about a year hasn't he?

We will lose Sadio Mané, though, but we won't be hit as badly as some sides. Leicester I think will lose 3 or 4 first teamers if I'm right - Mahrez, Slimani, Schlupp and Amartey? Everton too, actually, with Bolasie, Gueye, Koné...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I'm going to miss the match now. Stupid lady leaving in work, and the rest of the clowns organising a meal for tonight :(

And now we have our second nominee for calling in dead.

Just tell them later on that something has come up, but you're hoping to catch up with them after the meal. Grayditch makes a solid point above, to be honest.

niallo27 wrote: »
    I can't see anything but a liverpool win tomorrow. This game is made for the counter.

Yup, Chelsea will just play to our strengths :pac:

I'm less than confident of us keeping a clean sheet so we are in score 2 or 3 times to have a chance of 3 pts territory.....

I'd say it's like the police being required to cover you having a dump in public rule.... questionable if it exists and never enforced.

Old saying, club before country comes to mind.

Such a rule can be bypassed by periods of international football "retirement" as required in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Grayditch wrote: »
    That's like working outside of work, see ya after. If she's leaving she wont be there to hold it against you next week.

See how great with people I am?

With you on this one....am allergic to work events outside working hours.

And don't get me started on being practically force-fed cake every five minutes...."C'mon...it's Dave's 37th birthday", "We're having cake to celebrate Angela's new hairstyle" etc.

Anyway, back on topic, will be firing up the laptop and dodgy websites tonight. Will be disappointed if we don't win tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I'm going to miss the match now. Stupid lady leaving in work, and the rest of the clowns organising a meal for tonight :(

And the even bigger clowns who don't want to go but go anyway :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Get your priorities straight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Milkers wrote: »
    And the even bigger clowns who don't want to go but go anyway :pac:

But free food and drink :D

I have the game recording so I'll be avoiding you fine gentlemen and watching the match later :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Jesus, surely not? That seems like a mental rule!!
    Augeo wrote: »
    I'd say it's like the police being required to cover you having a dump in public rule.... questionable if it exists and never enforced.

Such a rule can be bypassed by periods of international football "retirement" as required in any case.

When explained its actually an ok rule (and kind of necessary) and 'retirements' aren't a way to get around it.

What the rule stops is players (usually mid20s journeymen from low-profile countries unlikely to win anything) coming under financial pressure not to play international football, with clubs hinting that their next 3K a week contract could be slightly bumped if they aren't jetting off to Bolivia, Panama or Zaire 8 times a year.
    With this rule in place theres no point in clubs attempting to make such conditions as players can/must travel regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Are you guys kidding?

The international rule is always used. Anytime a player declares themselves "injured" for international duty they are banned from playing any club games for up to 3 days before and after the internationals.

It's to stop trams from pretending their players are injured just to keep them for important games. There are rarely club games that close to international games anymore though. The August international use to be the one that caught a lot of players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Mr.H wrote: »
    Are you guys kidding?

The international rule is always used. Anytime a player declares themselves "injured" for international duty they are banned from playing any club games for up to 3 days before and after the internationals.

It's to stop trams from pretending their players are injured just to keep them for important games. There are rarely club games that close to international games anymore though. The August international use to be the one that caught a lot of players

The Luas are feckers for it, in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

He can just retire from international duty,and come out of retirement when it suits

He can just retire from international duty,and come out of retirement when it suits

There is no such getout clause as international retirement for the reasons I gave in my post above. If a country wants to call up a player who has retired from internationals then they can, and the players either turns up or else doesn't play for his club during the time of the call-up.

Most of the time its not an issue as retirements are usually on good terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Something tells me the first time a footballer decides to challenge that in the European Court of Human Rights under right-to-work laws will be the last time FIFA or UEFA try to pull that stunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Mr.H wrote: »
    Are you guys kidding?
    The international rule is always used.
    There are rarely club games that close to international games anymore though.

So its always used when it rarely happens :pac:

If you just dont want to play for your country I wasn't aware you could be suspended from playing for your club. I know players get "injured" and dont fancy an away friendly or whatever etc but If its a case you simply do not want to play its fairly mad to me that you cant play for the team that pays your bills. Technically you cant retire from International football either which seems mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Matip has already refused all callups this year without club suspension. Sure he didn't go for the recent International break and still played for Liverpool v Leicester

Steak, Chips, Beer & Whiskey all sorted now for Friday Night Football what a time to be alive.

8-10 wrote: »
    Matip has already refused all callups this year without club suspension. Sure he didn't go for the recent International break and still played for Liverpool v Leicester

CameroonFA and their manager have expressed disappointment etc over those rejected callups, but haven't gone the nuclear option of insisting.

Best example of it becoming a big issue was Domenech/Makelele/Mourinho 10 years ago. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2344514/I-am-no-slave-says-Makelele.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I'm not sure how this really works but apparently you are banned from playing any club games for up to 3 days before and after the internationals if called up and the Leicester game was 4 days after the Cameroon game.

The issue is during the ACON, games will clash within that 3 day rule. I think anyway, I may be way off here.

I'm not sure how this really works but apparently you are banned from playing any club games for up to 3 days before and after the internationals if called up and the Leicester game was 4 days after the Cameroon game.

The issue is during the ACON, games will clash within that 3 day rule. I think anyway, I may be way off here.

Ah ok thanks that makes sense. Could always get Steven Caulker on a sneaky January loan. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Ah ok thanks that makes sense. Could always get Steven Caulker on a sneaky January loan. :)

We have enough strikers mate

So Sturridge is the most superstitious player for some reason I'm not surprised

Milner is the prankster now that does surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

So Sturridge is the most superstitious player for some reason I'm not surprised

Milner is the prankster now that does surprise.

Wonder what sort of crazy antics Milner does get up to in the dressing room. Spiking the team drinks with ketamine? Putting thumbtacks in someone's boots? Swapping the shorts with ones which are a slightly darker shade of red?

Safe to say it's probably the last one.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Wonder what sort of crazy antics Milner does get up to in the dressing room. Spiking the team drinks with ketamine? Putting thumbtacks in someone's boots? Swapping the shorts with ones which are a slightly darker shade of red?

Safe to say it's probably the last one.

Pretty sure it's hiding Sturridge's bibles.

• Advertisement

Carra doing his best to hurt Mane the bastard.

Firmino out due to illness, huge loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

#LFC team to face @ChelseaFC: Mignolet, Clyne, Matip, Lovren, Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Coutinho, Mane, Sturridge #CFCvLFC

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/776843000433565696

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I just came on here to say the same thing. No Firminho makes me a little worried about this game tbh, he really has been our most influential player for the past 12 months or so, certainly in terms of end product at least imo.

Groin strain, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I seem to remember the ACON isn't fully recognised by FIFA, or something like that, so that rule might not apply.

Or I might have just imagined this.

Groin strain, no?

Is it? Shreeves said he was unwell so I assumed he was ill. Either way, it's only a short term thing because a groin strain heals quickly so he'll be back for next weekend at the latest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Win this for Luis...

garcialfc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Is it just me or does this game feel huge. Bigger than a usual Chelsea Liverpool. I think it'll be a real marker of where we are at.

Firmino and Coutinho have been called up by Brazil for the next round of WC qualifiers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Is it? Shreeves said he was unwell so I assumed he was ill. Either way, it's only a short term thing because a groin strain heals quickly so he'll be back for next weekend at the latest.

Hopefully illness rather than groin...groin can be quick, but can also be a ****in' nightmare. Missed 5 months myself before with a serious one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Firmino and Coutinho have been called up by Brazil for the next round of WC qualifiers

fastshow13-656x498.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Firminho would have started as the lone forward and usually we do well in big away games when he does so he's a big loss imo.
    We usually flow better in games like this with him there.

Sturridge is a belting player, don't get me wrong, but I think Firminho is a blow to us.

Still, good team aside from that and lets hope Sturridge works his balls off like he did against Leicester coz he'll certainly need to.

Heart says we'll nick it, head says score draw. Feck the head! (oh Matron!)

I wonder who will do the running for Sturridge & Coutinho now that Firmino isn't there to do it for them.

This has the Burnley feeling to it have 70% possession and get caught on the counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Never heard such a subdued response to a goal from a commentator, bias much?

That was a very sexy finish by Lovren.

Any striker worth his salt would be proud of that one. Arm up asking for the pass, saw it coming, tucked it in.

Must have borrowed Sakho's stash for the night!

Matip turning into Hansen :)

So has Henderson do anything all game :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

What a ****ing goal. Gerrard esque

Fcuk sake Sakho. Must have been passing them around like sweets! Coz Henderson doesnt do that too often either.

Captain Fantastic.

Goal of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

****ing unreal strike. Welcome back Hendo :cool:

Both commentators on Sky Sports are sick!

Hahahahahahahhaha

• Advertisement

The whole team telling Migs to calm down and slow down and hold onto the ball :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement