Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Inspiration

Options
  • 06-08-2016 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Had a quick look at my previous threads and can't believe April 2014 was the last time I had a bout of shinyitis.

Since then, all I have used is 2 kayfun Lite pluses, on an iStick. 1.4 coil, with the same 3 or 4 liquids, and at this stage I'm a bit bored with it all.

So I would like some recommendations for a mod, an RTA and I would like to get a dripper so I can experiment more with liquids (never used one). I've always been MTL, but open to change. I like the convenience of internal batteries, but do have a charger (no batteries though) if necessary.

So what's hot these days. Budget isn't really an issue, within reason, and I would prefer not to go the Chinese route.

Most importantly, it needs to be something that I would be proud to display on the "what's in your hand today" thread:).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

So many great mods and tanks out there, depends if you want a single 18650, dual or even triple 18650 mod? On tanks, seems like you're a MTL vaper, maybe something like the new Kayfun V5? For an RDA anything with a velocity style deck, inc of course, the actual original Velocity itself. It was what I opted for when I decided I want to get into building my own coils not too long ago - it's hard not to get it right on those attys

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

So many great mods and tanks out there, depends if you want a single 18650, dual or even triple 18650 mod? On tanks, seems like you're a MTL vaper, maybe something like the new Kayfun V5? For an RDA anything with a velocity style deck, inc of course, the actual original Velocity itself. It was what I opted for when I decided I want to get into building my own coils not too long ago - it's hard not to get it right on those attys

Thanks for the response.

Probably correct on the V5. My Kayfun has served me well, and the reviews on the new one look good. I'll research the velocity a bit.

Mod wise, I think a dual 18650 is probably the sweet spot. I'm away from home 13 hours a day, so battery life is important.

Carb wrote: »

Mod wise, I think a dual 18650 is probably the sweet spot. I'm away from home 13 hours a day, so battery life is important.

I have the Cuboid, it's a nice, solid, simple to use device that uses 2 18650. Should do you the whole day.

I have the Cuboid, it's a nice, solid, simple to use device that uses 2 18650. Should do you the whole day.

Nice, solid and simple may not cure my shinyitis, even though it will do more than I need and I will probably buy it if I'm wearing my sensible hat at the time of purchase.

I have a hankering for something more special and less mainstream. I've been promising myelf this since I started 4 years ago, and have never done it. For reference I've found myself looking at the Therion. It's not really a case of need.

The Therion is nice, and would probably be perfect your vaping style aye. I suggested the Cuboid as a reliable, didn't get that you were after something fancier. Maybe look into some custom resin or wood mods ... not into all that personally, I think a lot of what people find 'unique' to be fugly :D

Cuboid is good enough for me to show what's in my hand today

• Advertisement

The Therion is nice, and would probably be perfect your vaping style aye. I suggested the Cuboid as a reliable, didn't get that you were after something fancier. Maybe look into some custom resin or wood mods ... not into all that personally, I think a lot of what people find 'unique' to be fugly :D

Cuboid is good enough for me to show what's in my hand today

I know your speaking sense.

I'm an accountant, so reliable, sensible and budget could end up winning out. I'll see what's in the kitty when my tanks are sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

You have a budget in mind?

There are plenty of bespoke mod makers out there looking to part you from your hard earned.

There's mods out there going for 100s, and I get that people like something a little different. But sometimes i watch reviewers gush over awful looking chunks of multi-coloured resin infused housings and wonder if they've been to specsavers? :D

Taste is always subjective of course. And some of them can be very slick looking, like this:

Screen-Shot-2016-04-19-at-17.32.55.png

But it's $400!

On the lower end, I like the look of the Hotcig R150:

hotcig-r150-mod.jpg

Which can be got for about €80: https://greyhaze.co.uk/products/hotcig-r150-150w-box-mod

I would look for it in either the carbon or etched black covers though:

sddefault.jpg

I think that looks horrid cagey, and I fancy a bit of stabilised wood and resin :pac:

Lucky there are options out there for all of us.

For the OP. I'd say your best bet is get some tanks and a mod, try them out. See if you want to go sub ohming. Then when you know what type of vaping you like, you can get a nice mod to suit your needs and sell the initial stuff on the for sale thread.

No point spending big bucks if it won't suit.

Which one? the pricey one? I'd never pay that much for it, but if it was say, €100 ...

The R150 looks slick in the other covers that aren't multi-coloured I think

• Advertisement

Which one? the pricey one? I'd never pay that much for it, but if it was say, €100 ...

Yeah, the r150 is lovely looking. I'd love the carved version. I'm saw a few complaints about them going bad fast, but you only hear the bad things, so difficult to know if it was just a few isolated incidents.

moleyv wrote: »
    You have a budget in mind?

There are plenty of bespoke mod makers out there looking to part you from your hard earned.

Closest I came to spending biggish money was a vaporshark model some time back which I believe was about the 180 mark. It would want to be very special, or a special occasion north of 199.99 (perhaps a cuboid gets me to Santa time) .

There's always some way to rationalise these things. I'm using the same iStick 18 months after buying it, and in 2 years I only bought 2 Kayfun clones. I owe myself a treat:).

A treat every now and then is nice. Mods are all much of a muchness to me, I've been buying more tanks than anything else recently. But feel like I have a good solid set up now. With the Herakles RTA-2, the Mage RTA, the Cleito RTA, Bellus RTA and a Velocity RBA. Only got 3 mods, Tesla nano 60w, with the built in batt, my old reliable Evic mini tc, single batt, and the Cuboid. I guess I would like one fancier mod just as a treat. If I was to, I think either the Hotcig R150 or that Therion would be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

I still love the Tesla Nano. Small, stylish and unbreakable mod. For a tank.. Theorem for smallness, Melo for capacity.

Ionised wrote: »
    I still love the Tesla Nano. Small, stylish and unbreakable mod. For a tank.. Theorem for smallness, Melo for capacity.

It's a nice tidy little mod, I like it. Only complaint I have is that it reads my coils lower than they are. Like right now, I tried my Herakles RTA2 on there [which looks mad, but cool all at once!] and I know that coil is 0.4, but the Tesla reads it as 0.35ohm - also the charge cable that was included fell apart day 1 :/ good job I have cables for days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jno547

Carb wrote:
    So what's hot these days. Budget isn't really an issue, within reason, and I would prefer not to go the Chinese route.

For a mod I'd highly recommend the Therion, beautiful device, Kayfun V5 gives a more restricted lung hit whereas the V3 Mini will give a better MTL vape. Either Kayfuns are an excellent purchase though or you might also consider a Squape.
    Check on greyhaze or cremedevape, both UK sites and offer some top class products.

Advertisement