Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

243 to 308

Options
  • 06-08-2016 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi Folks, just a question if anyone knows. what is the cost roughly to change a rifle barrel from 243 to 308. Its for deer so it wouldnt need to be a top of the range barrel. Any idea of the total cost of the finished job?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Depends on the brand of barrel and the person doing it.

From a "lad you know" using a Bergara barrel at a cost of about €400 to a Bartlein/Kreiger barrel from a licensed and competent gunsmith at around €850 - €900.

You'll find some will charge more than this. Why i don't know. I've heard reports of rebarrels costing in excess of €1,250 and for the life of me i cannot see where the cost comes from.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Also depends on the gun.Some are easy to do,some not so.Some its a factory job[Steyr SSG springs to mind]Depends also on what you want to replace it with too.Lothar Walther about 500 Cost is man hours and setting up the shop and difficulty or not of the job.
    Best advice ,talk to a bunch of gunsmiths here and get a price on it,not to mind feasability of doing it too.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement