Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious Security issue????

Options
  • 06-08-2016 7:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hey all,

Not sure what is happening to my Ps4 system but for the last few days when watching Netflix or youtube on my PS4 randomly some other lads ps4 home screen appears over what I'm doing, I see everything he is doing, buying games, disconnecting pads etc.

I rang playstation support the first time it happened and I was basically told I was wrong, its impossible to see someone elses homescreen with accepting a share screen etc. This just happens, its automatic, I'm not touching my remote yet my ps4 starts showing his homescreen and he seems to have no idea I can see it. doesn't this pose a risk if he ever decides to input cc details or personal info etc since he has no clue people are watching him.??? His username is displayed on the bottom right of the screen, which support also told me is impossible as this isn't were the ID displays.

When I got nowhere with PS Support I asked the rep could I speak to a supervisor, ( this lad seemed new and hadn't a clue) and he hung up on me. I have a screenshot of it. Not sure what to do now. do I just ignore it? is this a known issue ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Maybe a public tweet or facepost might get them moving on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Sounds to me like you have been hacked, log into your account on PC and see how many PS4 are activated on your account....

Delete if one you don't recognise is and change your PW

Is that not a screen sharing feature?

Is there one?

eddhorse wrote: »
    Is that not a screen sharing feature?

Is there one?

Share play doesn't show you the person's home screen, menu etc, so I doubt it's that, sounds like an account hack....

Be interested to see how the OP got on with this....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 237 ✭✭andre2010

I am currently on the phone to playstaion now on hold, the guy took my screenshot but said he now wants a video????? But he has me on hold. It's the strangest thing, and their attitude is appalling. He told me to let the hack happen again and take a video, so he wants me to allow a hacker access the system. I will keep the thread updated.

• Advertisement

edOk, so this is going from bad to worse.

So after 2 hours today on the phone nothing.

Sony asked me to send a screenshot of this users name and screen displaying on my PS4. I did that. They also confirmed what was stated in this thread that even if it was a share thing that I wouldn't see this screen at all but couldn't tell me what it was.
    The rep then told me to wait for it to happen again, yes he told me to wait for my machine to potentially be hacked again ( I'm calling it a hack because Sony themselves said they cannot tell me its not, they aren't sure that my system wasn't compromised ). He then told me to wait for him to go to his personal details or credit card screen and take a screenshot and send to him. ( isn't this fraud to do that ??)

He then advised me to do a re initialization of my PS4, basically format it. I told him that doesn't solve the issue of how this could happen in the first place and he said that nothing more will be done, Sony wont be investigating it further as they have never come across it and its only a slight glitch. I'm still in shock. I asked to speak to a manager, he refused so I asked for the UKI CEO details and the rep hung up on me.

So while I cannot say the system is hacked, I really don't know, but someone elses homescreen randomly appears over mine and SONY don't care, said there is nothing to be done and hung up on me. Ive emailed the CEO, lets see.

BTW sorry for the state of this reply, my hands are shaking I'm in such shock here

Emailing the CEO won't get your account back...

You have to log into your purchase history via a PC and then see how many PS4s are activated on your account, if you see a strange one (your man's) deactivate it...

Then change your PW, that is literally all you have to do...

I don't know why he is asking you to get a video, I don't know what he hopes to achieve with that....

Fieldog wrote: »
    Emailing the CEO won't get your account back...

You have to log into your purchase history via a PC and then see how many PS4s are activated on your account, if you see a strange one (your man's) deactivate it...

Then change your PW, that is literally all you have to do...

I don't know why he is asking you to get a video, I don't know what he hopes to achieve with that....

Sorry man, that's not the issue, this guy doesn't seem to have access to my account , I can simply see his ps4 and everything he is doing and this is displayed OVER what I am doing, if I hit O on the joypad it kills off his screen and returns to my screen and homepage. its very random and weird. I wouldn't email a CEO for my account back :)

the best way I can describe it is its like he is using remote play but for some reason its sending his signal and display to my TV and ps4

andre2010 wrote: »
    Sorry man, that's not the issue, this guy doesn't seem to have access to my account , I can simply see his ps4 and everything he is doing and this is displayed OVER what I am doing, if I hit O on the joypad it kills off his screen and returns to my screen and homepage. its very random and weird. I wouldn't email a CEO for my account back :)

the best way I can describe it is its like he is using remote play but for some reason its sending his signal and display to my TV and ps4

Weird...

Could he be on the same network as you, and trying to remote play and connected to the wrong PS4?

Is it a public connection or anything?

Can you just humour me and see are there 2 x PS4s on your account?

Weird...

Could he be on the same network as you, and trying to remote play and connected to the wrong PS4?

Is it a public connection or anything?

Can you just humour me and see are there 2 x PS4s on your account?

100% just the one ps4. ive check and so have sony. I just rechecked. only one as primary and my wifi is secured and ive check all the signals around me and all are secured, none are open networks. I know its fecking weird

• Advertisement

Post the picture here!
    Show us whats going on.

Why are you shocked? Could be just a bug they dont know about. And your account seems safe.

I would definitely check my account on a PC as said previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Post the screenshot if you have taken one. What you're saying sounds a bit insane tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The suggestion about a public tweet to their twitter or facebook post on their might get them to do something about it since they wouldn't want the bad publicity and you might get replies from others this has happened to

CastorTroy wrote: »
    The suggestion about a public tweet to their twitter or facebook post on their might get them to do something about it since they wouldn't want the bad publicity and you might get replies from others this has happened to

that's my plan, along with the transcript of the call and the screenshot but I want to see if the CEO responds first.

I will upload a picture here tomorrow cause to be honest I feel its the only bloody leverage I have right now to get them to respond, to threaten to make it public. If I go ahead and go public then I may not get a reply. maybe I'm being paranoid though.

Which CEO did you email?

eddhorse wrote: »
    Which CEO did you email?

Jim Ryan uki CEO

So... picture then? let's face it, the CEO isn't going to be getting in touch with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I think as people say that if you captured some screenshots or video and linked it here or in particularl Reddit it would take off and create a huge PR issue for Sony.

Leak it, no traction otherwise

So no evidence then? many will probably think you're just making this whole thing up.

• Advertisement

So no evidence then? many will probably think you're just making this whole thing up.

LOL, wow i love how cynical people can be.

I got a call from the executive office yesterday and went through everything with them. They are also dumbfounded by it. It may be a remote play issue but no one honestly knows.

So I agreed to allow them to collect my PS4 console today to see if it can be replicated. its being sent to their Marlborough offices. I will keep this updated. My point isnt to shame sony into fixing this, i just want to make sure my system is secure and they are now taking the steps to fix this and investigate. The person in the execs office was Andy Barnes and he was very helpful, in case people still think this is made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

andre2010 wrote: »
    ...in case people still think this is made up.

You could just post a screenshot.

Strange issue altogether. Did you buy your PlayStation second-hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I think you definitely deserve a generous upgrade / replacement while they have your system.

I'd still record what is going on so at least they know that you have proof that their system is compromised. Keep searching for any other incidents on the net.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I think you definitely deserve a generous upgrade / replacement while they have your system.

I'd still record what is going on so at least they know that you have proof that their system is compromised. Keep searching for any other incidents on the net.

The machine was definately new, i bought it brand new in gamestop. To be honest im expecting Sony to say they couldnt replicate it or something. they will hardly admit to a breach but lets see.

Ive attached a photo here taken off my iphone from my TV. You will see his name down the bottom right. You will also notice (although its hard to tell with the quality) but the resolution is slightly lower than if it was just my own home screen, which is exactly what happens in remote play. The screen in this photo is actually being displayed over netflix and netflix is still playing in the background, and when i hit O on the pad it kills it off. I know random and very odd.

Can't see the pic with cloud flare protection or something, I believe you, the Sony lads in town are on the ball....

So interested to see what happens, as it's not an account hack by the looks of it...

I reckon they have duplicated the Mac Address in manufacturing or something and its causing this other guys to come in on your machine, are you going in on his machine, I wonder is he seeing your menus and account details?

PS - tell them you want a Neo as a sorry and to keep shtum...

is anyone else having issues seeing the attachment? i just clicked it and its fine.

Sorry for the potato quality of it but i had to grab my phone quickly and i wanted to kill it off ASAP.

To be clear, the guy has no access to my actual machine, he doesnt seem to be controlling anything on my machine, i can simply see his when it takes over my display. so my fear is that this is happening to other people and they havent a clue some other ps4 user could potentialy see sensitive info etc. I dont think its a hack but a bug in remote play. As stated on the phone to the exec yesterday, this all seemed to happen after i installed and activated remote play for PC .

Can't see the pic with cloud flare protection or something, I believe you, the Sony lads in town are on the ball....

So interested to see what happens, as it's not an account hack by the looks of it...

I reckon they have duplicated the Mac Address in manufacturing or something and its causing this other guys to come in on your machine, are you going in on his machine, I wonder is he seeing your menus and account details?

PS - tell them you want a Neo as a sorry and to keep shtum...

Ah im (edit) NOT looking for free stuff, i just want assurance that this will be fixed, plus i havent kept shtum now, ive just posted the pic :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I can see the pic, its very odd indeed. Hopefully sony get to the bottom of it quick for you.

Can see the photo now, that is crazy, and that's on top of your Netflix?

Has to be a doubled Mac address or serial number or something silly causing it...

Do Sony know who the guy is, I wonder can they send him a contact support message?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Start sharing it out on reddit / imgur and tweeting them about it. I'd be removing the option to purchase from the account temporarily also.

Advertisement