Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious Security issue????

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

OP can you do me a favour, can you confirm 110% that right now your PS4 is set as your Primary Console under your main profile?

I have a strange feeling this is part of the "Ghost Owner" issue on the PS4 where people that had their consoles set as primary are now unset because a phantom account is claiming the ps4 is their primary etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 237 ✭✭andre2010

jonnycivic wrote: »
    OP can you do me a favour, can you confirm 110% that right now your PS4 is set as your Primary Console under your main profile?

I have a strange feeling this is part of the "Ghost Owner" issue on the PS4 where people that had their consoles set as primary are now unset because a phantom account is claiming the ps4 is their primary etc.

I can 1000% confirm that this PS4 is set as my Primary PS4 and is the only console i have registered to the account. NO VITA or PSP or PS3. Sony also confirmed this to me but i went online to check and definately just this one.

It was also Brand new, sealed PS4 when i purchased it from Gamestop in December 2015. It was the Uncharted Collection Bundle i purchased at the time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

andre2010 wrote: »
    I can 1000% confirm that this PS4 is set as my Primary PS4 and is the only console i have registered to the account. NO VITA or PSP or PS3. Sony also confirmed this to me but i went online to check and definately just this one.

It was also Brand new, sealed PS4 when i purchased it from Gamestop in December 2015. It was the Uncharted Collection Bundle i purchased at the time.

OK so thats my theory out the window.

My next theory revolves around MAC Address (But chances on it been this is very small) or else someone that may have a very similar login to yours.

MarkR wrote: »
    Start sharing it out on reddit / imgur and tweeting them about it. I'd be removing the option to purchase from the account temporarily also.

Ive removed my CC from the playstation for now in case.

The executive team at Sony UK are now actively trying to sort this for me and find out whats happening so i really dont want to start going on Reddit and Imgur etc as this wont help. Right now the genuinely are doing everything they can, the CEO emailed me, so they are really taking this seriously now, i just happened to get two very stupid reps in support at the beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Ive removed my CC from the playstation for now in case.

The executive team at Sony UK are now actively trying to sort this for me and find out whats happening so i really dont want to start going on Reddit and Imgur etc as this wont help. Right now the genuinely are doing everything they can, the CEO emailed me, so they are really taking this seriously now, i just happened to get two very stupid reps in support at the beginning.

What is your PSN username out of interest?

• Advertisement

What is your PSN username out of interest?

To be honest id rather not give that out online just now considering what has been happening, its very similar to my user id here though, its certainly not Joe Augustine though :P

To be honest id rather not give that out online just now considering what has been happening, its very similar to my user id here though, its certainly not Joe Augustine though :P

In fairness I dont see any problems with giving out your username for PSN tho, have you looked at Joes actual username? Is it close to your username etc.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    In fairness I dont see any problems with giving out your username for PSN tho, have you looked at Joes actual username? Is it close to your username etc.

No i kill out of his screen as quickly as i can so i only have Joe Augustine, but considering my online id is basically my name i seriously doubt they are anything similiar. I also hope that even if they were similiar that this issue wouldnt arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Joe Augustine doesn't yield any results, Joe_Augustine does but his profile is completely private.

Telling us your username won't cause any problems, i just want to check something. You can PM it to me if you want

Joe Augustine doesn't yield any results, Joe_Augustine does but his profile is completely private.

Telling us your username won't cause any problems, i just want to check something. You can PM it to me if you want

I sent to you privately there man :-) sorry probably being overly paranoid

Edit : If you manage to find out what causes this then you should work for Sony ;-)

• Advertisement

Are they using your internet connection, (wifi?)
    Does the name resemble any of your neighbours?

If someone is using your internet, they can stream their Netflix to appear on your screen, as you are both on the same network

I only say this as Netflix has been mentioned a few times

Are they using your internet connection, (wifi?)
    Does the name resemble any of your neighbours?

If someone is using your internet, they can stream their Netflix to appear on your screen, as you are both on the same network

I only say this as Netflix has been mentioned a few times

my wifi is private and so is everyone elses that my signal picks up. they are all UPC connections with no names , it happens when I'm also on my home screen or on youtube. I haven't tried when playing a game though.

I will of course update this when Sony come back to me, they picked up the ps4 about 2 hours ago and is en route to them now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

my wifi is private and so is everyone elses that my signal picks up. they are all UPC connections with no names , it happens when I'm also on my home screen or on youtube. I haven't tried when playing a game though.

I will of course update this when Sony come back to me, they picked up the ps4 about 2 hours ago and is en route to them now

Hmm

You are a UPC customer, that could narrow it down....

Don't UPC allow you to use their "free WiFi" if you are a UPC customer, whilst you are out and about, so in theory you pull the "free WiFi" from anyone's 5ghz signal with the "free" login?

Do you live in an apartment block maybe and he is actually piggy backing your WiFi?

You actually have to request UPC disable it, and if you dont, theoretically other users can use "your" router to access the web with a UPC login?

BT have a similar setup in UK if you are a BT customer, you can get their WiFi free from surrounding signals or phone boxes provided you are a BT customer...

One to think about...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

The other free wifi is VLAN'd off, plus anything regarding his UPC/Virgin account wont cause what he is seeing there.

eddhorse wrote: »
    The other free wifi is VLAN'd off, plus anything regarding his UPC/Virgin account wont cause what he is seeing there.

Also as an additional point, i dont have horizon just a normal router so i dont even think i have that free wifi thingy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Also as an additional point, i dont have horizon just a normal router so i dont even think i have that free wifi thingy

It doesn't have to be a horizon box, my mother's one is just a router and it gives out the UPC free WiFi signal...

Still... it doesn't explain what it happening to you!

Can you get into your router homepage and see if there is any strange devices on it?

Fieldog wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be a horizon box, my mother's one is just a router and it gives out the UPC free WiFi signal...

Still... it doesn't explain what it happening to you!

Can you get into your router homepage and see if there is any strange devices on it?

Its something to check alright, i will do that when i get home, but considering its password protected i doubt it. Sure even the one Horizon Free one on the list has such a low signal and is password protected i cannot see this being the issue. Sure its with Sony now, might just let them sort it :P

Advertisement