Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metroid 30th Anniversary

• 07-08-2016 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭

A few minutes late, but metroid came out on the NES 30 years ago (August 6th 1986). I didn't have a NES, so my first metroid experience was Super Metroid on the SNES. I think everyone will agree that it was a classic and incredibly influential.

Loved the Prime games and the GBA games. Didn't really get into the GB games or hunters.

Share your metroid stories here. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

It's a day late technically. ;) It was released on August 6th in Japan.

http://nintendoeverything.com/happy-30th-anniversary-metroid/

Favourite Metroid game hands down is Super Metroid. Then either Metroid Fusion or Metroid Prime, then Other M. Much prefer the 2D games because Samus has her full arsenal that way. The Prme games had to make serious comprises. I like and think the next Metroid game should use Other M's template.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

My Metroid story is...

Well, I own every one of them, some twice...

But that's just cos you all keep telling me how good it is. I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but dammit, I just don't get it.

*hangs head in shame*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I still miss my big box Super Metroid, long since sold on, probably for peanuts, at a time when we thought it would be plentiful forever :(

As much as I love the Snes game my favourite remains Metroid Prime, on the GameCube.
    While most of the great unwashed were still losing their collective minds over the Halo games, and I've a lot of love for those too, I was playing and loving Metroid Prime, a far more thoughtful, organic looking but no less action packed first person adventure.
    I attempted some evangelical work, encouraging fellow games players to accept the love of Samus and her travels into their lives, but to no avail in most cases, still too hung up on Master Chief and, in some truly tragic circumstances, the dreadful Killzone on the PS2.
    The release of the improved Metroid Prime in the trilogy set only made it even better, though the premium that title fetched meant that few got to own it, until the VC release on the WiiU, great value and essential gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

A fan remake of metroid II, in the style of metroid zero mission, was just released. It looks rather good

http://kotaku.com/brilliant-fan-remake-of-metroid-ii-arrives-just-in-time-1784929739

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looks great alright. Could only be a matter of time before they receive a letter from Nintendo's legal department though... Grab it while it's available.

http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/p/am2r-downloads.html (71mb)

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Looks great alright. Could only be a matter of time before they receive a letter from Nintendo's legal department though... Grab it while it's available.

http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/p/am2r-downloads.html (71mb)

I heard that because it's free, that's why they haven't received a Cease&Desist Order from Nintendo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

sligeach wrote: »
    I heard that because it's free, that's why they haven't received a Cease&Desist Order from Nintendo.

Didn't stop Nintendo nuking that 3D Zelda browser remake there recently...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Haven't played a single metroid game ever.

I grew up with Sega and then ps1, then pc.

I do like the metroid style games or what they called though. Those ds castlevania games were damn cool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I grew up with Sega and then ps1, then pc.

I do like the metroid style games or what they called though. Those ds castlevania games were damn cool.

You sick sad man.
    Deary deary me.
    A life without Metroid isn't a life at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I'm currently playing prime 2 again. Cos its totes amazing.

• Advertisement

When%20people%20help%20the%20poor%2C%20rather%20than%20laugh%20at%20their%20misfortune

I'm currently playing prime 2 again. Cos its totes amazing.

I have it, tried to beat it back on release on the GC, but it was very tough.
    I have yet to have a crack at it on the Wii or WiiU via VC... some day though....
    They responded to calls that Metroid Prime 2 was too hard by making Metroid Prime 3 waaaay to easy, easier again than the first in the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Haven't played Metroid 2, Hunters or Pinball. But big fan of the others. Have both Primes on Cube, Prime 3 on Wii then the trilogy on disc and VC. Would happily buy a HD trilogy.
    Though I'll never forget my first time playing and completing Metroid Prime was on a small portable tv.
    Must replay it on VC.

For Prime 2, I restarted that game so many times due to either getting stuck and coming back to it a long time later, or memory card being corrupted. So I finally finished it a few years ago on the Wii.
    They made it easier in parts on the Trilogy release

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have it, tried to beat it back on release on the GC, but it was very tough.
    I have yet to have a crack at it on the Wii or WiiU via VC... some day though....
    They responded to calls that Metroid Prime 2 was too hard by making Metroid Prime 3 waaaay to easy, easier again than the first in the series.

Please understand, etc etc :D

Hunters isn't that great, but its not bad either. Very technically impressive.

Yeah, Hunters looks the business but is terribly limited.
    It was quite impressive as a launch title on the DS, I don't think it was topped in the looks dept in the lifetime of the handheld.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Super Metroid was my first. There was that one jump, where you fall down a pit and have to wall jump three or four times in quick succession to get out... that destroyed me. Eventually got out and completed it. Then I went back to play it again a few months later. Same flipping wall jump bit tore me apart. I think my Wii U VC version is stuck on the same bit.

I remember Prime fondly as the first game I played on my and my then-girlfriend's new gigantic (38" 4:3 I think) CRT TV. It was huuuuuuuge. Had to roll it up the stairs to the apartment. Still have that telly in the front room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Super Metroid was my first too, played one summer when staying up in my cousin's house (we didn't yet have our SNES at the time).
    Played the life out of it, and was so elated when I finally finished it!

Prime was a revelation, Fusion was slightly disappointing. Prime II: Echoes and Zero Mission were much more to my liking, though Echoes was frustratingly hard in places. Prime III: Corruption was brilliant, but there was that bit too much reliance on other characters. The Trilogy on the Wii was superb, adding the control refinements that came with III using the Wii-mote to I and II was great, though I miss those beautiful title screens.

I remember borrowing Super Metroid off a friend. Cartridge only. He was shocked that I finished it without the big manual that had the maps

I got stuck at one point in Super Metroid, and the solution was in the manual, the glass tunnel bit.
    Pretty amazing stuff.

As hard as I tried I just couldn't get to like Metroid: Other M.
    I know some love it, but it just felt like such a step back from the Prime series.

Looks like the Metroid 2 remake has been taken down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It doesn't matter now.
    The game was available long enough to be uploaded to dozens of file sharing sites, meaning anyone who wants it can probably find it with ease.

Just tried it there,
    First link after searching for amr2 metroid and the page gave several working links to the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It doesn't matter now.
    The game was available long enough to be uploaded to dozens of file sharing sites, meaning anyone who wants it can probably find it with ease.

True, though the only issue with not getting it from source is it could have malicious content embedded within. Make sure to double check before installing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Absolutely in love with the 2D series. Kinda curious if anyone would argue that the first one is worth playing anymore? I mean, as a game rather than a historical curio. Hell, its age is amplified by the fact they included it as a bonus unlock on the Zero Mission remake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

As it happens, I finished Super Metroid for the first time on the day of the series' 30th anniversary. Playing Metroid 2 on my cousin's Game Boy was the experience that made me a gamer; I became obsessed with it for a while.

Despite this, I had only completed Fusion, Prime and Zero Mission (despite owning the entire series) until I beat Super. So I'm trying to play though the rest! 2 is next.

Anyone interested in Federation Force? My initial reaction was disappointment, but it's been growing on me and feel like the series needs support! Jeremy Parish is a big fan of the series and his most recent preview is positive.

Have to see what the single player game is like, if there is one

Well, Triforce Heroes turned out to be a pleasant surprise, certainly my LoZ loving son thought so.
    If they can meet the same standard with this Metroid spin off it might be something to pick up, particularly at a lower price.

Advertisement