Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrific accident.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

A GP told me a few years ago that student doctors from all over Ireland and Britain line up to work at the TT races in the Isle of Man, because of the experience of catastrophic injuries they'll get, experience that they're unlikely to get in any A&E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

I know that Biker site is hard work sometimes, but at least they won't let people post this kind of shìt up.

... you're a mod too ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭prunudo

b_mac2 wrote: »
    I know that Biker site is hard work sometimes, but at least they won't let people post this kind of shìt up.

For the record it's on biker too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Hello posted what is in essence a road safety video.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Chisum

Your right to post it bikers should watch and learn.
    Feel sorry for both of them RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Paulw wrote: »
    I pity the biker that was hit. I have no pity for the biker on the wrong side of the road.

So you think he deserved to die?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It's on biker.

Me being a mod (on a totally different section of boards) has nothing to do with anything I post here.

I am also a biker. I've seen some mad riding. Just recently, on a boards.ie Sunday spin, we were overtaken by some mad guys, going very fast and overtaking on dangerous corners.

Videos like this MIGHT just help some bikers wake up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

VincePP wrote: »
    So you think he deserved to die?

I never said he deserved to die, I just said I had no pity for him. There is a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

That must have been really traumatic for the other bikers to witness too and knowing it could just have easily been them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

WTF is wrong with you...this is educational more than anything...go up Sallys/Wicklow Gap any sunday morning and you get this type of sh1t....idiots cutting right handers...notice the offender was on a foreign reg..probably thought he was at home....were they both killed..??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I do think that some people see public roads as there own private race track. Both in cars and bikes and they are anything further from a race track, public roads are like the wild west anything can happen to anyone at any time. Even if you doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Feel sorry for anybody caught up in any horrific accident even if it was there fault. No one deserves the fallout from any accident. But people need to be show this stuff while sitting there tests/theory. It happens all timet on cars/bikes.

If the RSA want people to slow down and cop on, they need to show pictures of the aftermath of crashes. Glass, fire, blood, degloving, severed limbs, loss of life all shown to people, IMO its the only way to get people to wake up to it and stop these one time moments of madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

I think it's disgusting for anyone to watch the last few minutes of someone's life.
    Even if its a "good message" for safety to get across to people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Love how no one stops to drag him from flames

'' I'm here to ride, let him burn ''

I thought bikers had a'' one for all and all for one attitude.''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I think it's disgusting for anyone to watch the last few minutes of someone's life.

Well I for one don't want anyone to die, people make mistakes all the time. If I was to die tomorrow because of a mistake I made I would have no issue what so ever with it been broadcast to the nation, if in the hope it would stop someone else making the same mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Sweep it under the carpet, that's the Irish way all right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Every group has it's assholes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

In fairness, it happened so quick..dont know how i'd react..just hope they were knocked unconsious...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

I know that Biker site is hard work sometimes, but at least they won't let people post this kind of sh t up.

WTF is wrong with you...this is educational more than anything...go up Sallys/Wicklow Gap any sunday morning and you get this type of sh1t....idiots cutting right handers...notice the offender was on a foreign reg..probably thought he was at home....were they both killed..??

The other rider is alive but in a bad way in hospital. His family also gave permission for the video to be releasedm RIP to the lad who died. Thoughts and prayers with both families.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

The other rider is alive but in a bad way in hospital. His family also gave permission for the video to be releasedm RIP to the lad who died. Thoughts and prayers with both families.
    Echo your sentiments, RIP.

For info, the inquest stated that the other rider, a German biker was also killed

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-34184297

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Paulw wrote: »
    I never said he deserved to die, I just said I had no pity for him. There is a big difference.

Disgusting thing for anyone to say. Agree with b_mac2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

Shint0 wrote: »
    That must have been really traumatic for the other bikers to witness too and knowing it could just have easily been them.

I was the first on the scene of a similar head on one morning over on the Mountain course in 82. Saw it happen a couple of hundred yards ahead. One rider lying in the middle of the road with his foot dangling from his knee, the other in a ditch with two broken arms and legs. A frightening site for anyone. Thankfully others arrived on the scene and took charge. I felt totally helpless in the situation and rode back to Douglas at a steady 20 mph - don't think I ate for the rest of the day.
    I later heard the rider lost his leg in the incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

It's seriously disheartening to see this. I don't mind seeing this and I think most riders should know how fragile they are when they come off. Not much in the way of protection.

On the subject of the TT, some of ye probably have known of John Hinds. He's a couple of great presentations on youtube. We also don't have what was the best anaesthetist going following us on a motorbike for situations on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Tough viewing, makes you realise how vulnerable you are when riding a bike. I think there are a lot of people out there that think if they are careful on their bike, do various training courses and always ride within their limits that they will be able to 'ride around' any situation that is thrown at them. The reality is you can be tipping along, doing everything correctly, and someone else can drive into you and end your life, or worse. imo if you haven't at least thought about that fact you don't belong on a bike.

As for the comments on lack of pity for the guy that caused the accident..... If you can honestly say you have never ever been caught out either overtaking or taking a left hander where you ended up on the wrong side of the road and had a 'oh ****' moment? well done, but I say you are talking ****, we've all done it, just didn't pay the ultimate price like this poor ****er, RIP to both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Don't watch it then. Problem solved.

It was the biker's mother who decided to release the footage. I'm sure that decision wasn't taken lightly and was a very selfless act.

Some people have said the other bikers didn't stop but they clearly didn't watch the video as you can see at the very end that they did. They all dismounted and were heading back towards the scene of the crash.

Obviously they didn't have enough stopping distance to stop directly at the crash and would need to stop quite a distance away to avoid getting caught up in it from the spread of the flames in case their own bikes caught fire. One crash always has a ripple effect with the impact not just on the families involved but on the other witnesses and emergency services. It was quite a brave decision on the family's part to put the video out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The oncoming rider has zero chance. The overtaking rider was almost full over on the opposing lane and then (speculation) on spotting the oncoming bike attempts to get back on the correct side, but only manages to get half-way.

So from the perspective of the oncoming rider, you have a bike coming towards you, to your left, and more bikes to your right. Even if you had time to react, what can you do? Move left? Ditch the bike? Presumably just brake hard in a straight line and hope for the best.

TBH if this was cars they'd probably both have died too. The closing speed must be over 200kph. Euro NCAP ODB test simulates only 50kph closing speed.

Here's a ~200kph crash test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7dG9UlzeFM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lumen wrote: »
    The oncoming rider has zero chance. The overtaking rider was almost full over on the opposing lane and then (speculation) on spotting the oncoming bike attempts to get back on the correct side, but only manages to get half-way.

So from the perspective of the oncoming rider, you have a bike coming towards you, to your left, and more bikes to your right. Even if you had time to react, what can you do? Move left? Ditch the bike? Presumably just brake hard in a straight line and hope for the best.

TBH if this was cars they'd probably both have died too. The closing speed must be over 200kph. Euro NCAP ODB test simulates only 50kph closing speed.

Here's a ~200kph crash test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7dG9UlzeFM

No idea, Dropping it to the floor prob the only option in that scenario. a slide being preferable to an abrubt head on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

listermint wrote: »
    No idea, Dropping it to the floor prob the only option in that scenario. a slide being preferable to an abrubt head on.
    I don't think you can drop a motorbike in a straight line, but apparently it is possible to "get off" a motorcycle at 100mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTvv8_REgoc

(from about 0:35)

That trick seems unpossible, but there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Don't click on the video then.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    Don't click on the video then.
    I think people have beome more desensitised to real life catasrophes because of the proliferation of social media compared to the days of Kevin Carter. In some ways it's good particularly if a video like that might help to save at least one life if it sticks in someone's mind.

Advertisement