Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced to do something on temp contract

Options
  • 07-08-2016 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for opinions on this. I'm on a maternity cover contract at the moment, no chance of being kept on when it's finished, the girl is definitely coming back.

In my interview I asked a specific question to make sure that something I'm not comfortable doing on short term contracts (because it's so easy to have the finger pointed at you) was part of the job. I was assured it was not. That was fine, got the job, signed the contract which has a clause "at times you will be required to do cover other sections and flexibility is expected" or something to that effect.

Now last week I got a call from my boss telling me that in the next few weeks I'll additional work, which turns out to be the one thing that I raised and said I was not comfortable doing.

I feel forced into this, he didn't give me a choice and I have the "good reference" hanging over my head. Can I refuse to do this or will it be held against me, have I any legs to stand on (apart from my actual legs..........)

I am so annoyed at being disregarded like this. There is a horrific culture in that place anyway, isolation, bullying, belittling etc is rampant.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

If you don't want to do it, just leave. From an employee legislation point of view you have absolutely no rights as you are there less than one year. Either suck it up if the job/reference means that much to you are leave and look for a job somewhere else which will only require you to do what you want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

I suggest you seek a meeting with the person in charge and calmly say what you said above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

BabySlam wrote: »
    I suggest you seek a meeting with the person in charge and calmly say what you said above.
    And then start job hunting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Just leave you've been there such a short time that the reference isn't an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

would you be comfortable going into more detail about what the task is?

I get what you are saying, especially from an IT/ Project perspective where I have come across this before. Depending on what it is, if you feel very strongly about it, I guess don't feel obscure to maybe request it as a contractual clause in the future.

At the same time, if your confident in your work and performance, don't be worried about people pointing the blame. There is a culture like that where I work, where people go to ground when **** goes bad and start covering their own skins pointing the finger. I came in totally different, and all that happens is someone looks an absolute tool every so often when there is a meeting and I call someone out on their nonsense, or a mailthread clearly reveals all.

There is also the question will you actually give a **** if a finger gets pointed at you, when you know your not staying there past the contract length? Especially somewhere you don't want to hang around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement