Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best time of year to buy s/h rifle

Options
  • 07-08-2016 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

As mentioned in another thread, I'm interested in getting into deer stalking next year, ie the 2017/8 season, and I'll be looking for a second-hand rifle. I have my heart set on a particular brand and model, although I'd be pretty flexible on the calibre. But I presume I'd be better off waiting until the end of the up-coming season to start looking, as then I'd be more likely to find what I'm looking for?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

At this time of year most lads have settled on any changes they are going to make to their rigs so they are ready for the season.

Dealers will still have plenty of second hand rifles due to trade ins. Whether they have what you want is another question.

Most lads, myself included, will start to make any changes we are going a month or two after the end of each season. Because of the time it may take to get the licenses (deer and rifle) and then the money to pay for it, we generally start as early as possible to, once again, make sure we have the set up done well in time for the start of the new season.

What are you thinking off?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭SakoHunter75

Cass wrote: »
    At this time of year most lads have settled on any changes they are going to make to their rigs so they are ready for the season.

Dealers will still have plenty of second hand rifles due to trade ins. Whether they have what you want is another question.

Most lads, myself included, will start to make any changes we are going a month or two after the end of each season. Because of the time it may take to get the licenses (deer and rifle) and then the money to pay for it, we generally start as early as possible to, once again, make sure we have the set up done well in time for the start of the new season.

Thanks for the advice Cass, that makes sense and is pretty much what I imagined.
    What are you thinking off?

I already have a Sako 75 Hunter in .223 (not surprising, given my username!), and really like it so I'd prefer another Sako if possible, but this time with a synthetic stock and stainless receiver/barrel. I'd be happy enough with another 75, but ideally would be after an 85, mainly because they're lighter. Any deer calibre would be ok, other than .243 (too close to the .223, which I want to keep). The 85 is very expensive new, so I'd be hoping to get something at around 1,200e second hand.

I'm just after buying a new S&B Zenith 2.5-10x56 Flashdot (for the rifle I'll be looking for), which was dear enough despite picking it up at just over 1/2 the RRP, so not a bad thing to wait for 6 months or so before looking for the rifle anway - otherwise the missus will have my guts for garters! If I can't find the right rifle at the right price here in Ireland, I might resort to getting one from the UK, maybe off guntrader.uk or the Stalking Directory.

Have you considered the A7? I had one in 243 (i know you might want to go for another caliber) and it was a fantastic rifle.

It was accurate as you'd expect from Sako, and with a composite stock. The stock had a rubber/shark skin type texture and even in damp/wet would provide a solid and firm grip with no risk of slipping. It was solid yet lightweight and did not have the cheap feel or look of other synthetic stocks like Tikka, etc.

New price was €1,395 and even if they've gone up a little i imagine for that extra few quid you'd hae the brand you want, in a caliber you want but new and without paying €2k plus.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

If your handle is anything to go by then your looking at a Sako 75.
    A great choice IMO. As near to a custom rifle a you can get. I have a Sako 75 .308 cal. laminated varmint with the fluted barrel in stainless. It shoots 1/2 MOA all day.

This year I shot into first place and UK champion in the Sporting Rifle comp. 147/150, at Bisley, and a second place in Sporting Statics. I also shot a 9th place last year in FTR 400y/500y/600y (didn't shoot FTR this year as it takes a full afternoon)

393701.jpg

Have you considered the A7? I had one in 243 (i know you might want to go for another caliber) and it was a fantastic rifle.

It was accurate as you'd expect from Sako, and with a composite stock. The stock had a rubber/shark skin type texture and even in damp/wet would provide a solid and firm grip with no risk of slipping. It was solid yet lightweight and did not have the cheap feel or look of other synthetic stocks like Tikka, etc.

New price was €1,395 and even if they've gone up a little i imagine for that extra few quid you'd hae the brand you want, in a caliber you want but new and without paying €2k plus.

I'd prefer a 75 or 85 over the A7. I'm sure the A7 will do just as good a job in terms of accuracy etc. (as I suppose would a Tikka T3 for that matter), but this will be a rifle for life, and for some reason I just prefer the feel of the 75 and 85 over the A7. I have no problem with second hand, in fact I'd prefer a s/h rifle in the right model than a new one that's not exactly what I was looking for. I'm not fussy about calibre either, as there seems to be no concensus on what's the right one for deer, they all seem to have their pros and cons.

• Advertisement

I've had a few Sako rifles over the years including the TRG, 75 and A7. All fantastic rifles and all well up to the job. There are some good ones floating around, but you don't see them too often. It's the kind of "gun for life" as you said and most people keep their rifle for life.

If you start searching online shops you'll find a few and then ring some other shops. No harm to get the ball rolling this year so you get a running start next year.

Thanks again Cass.

I'll probably wait at least a few months to let things cool down around here (and let the bank balance build back up) after laying down so much $$$ for the new scope. May well then stick a wanted ad here on boards and see if that turns anything up, as well as starting ringing around all the RFDs. Otherwise, as I said I may try importing a s/h one from over the water. I'm not in any mad rush, I'd rather wait to get the right rifle at the right price.

I'll also have to start putting out feelers with regard to getting land with permission to stalk. Sika frequently come onto about 11 acres of my own land, so I'll have to find another 89 acres at least to satisfy the NPWS. It shouldn't be too difficult to find something around here (touch wood!), as I'm in a fairly remote part of the country (West Cork) with a lot of forestry, so hopefully someone will be happy to oblige.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

Any advice appreciated.

I would get out to the dealers and see what they have in stock. Timing is everything and you never know how/when someone changes their situations.

Nothing bad to say about Sako - I love my AV Finnbear, just have to dust it off to shoot it one of these days.:o

For stalking, I love either my Remington 700 or a Howa 1500.

Personally, if you have the 223, I would go for the 308. The 243 is a nice double-duty round, imo, if you are only going to have one gun for foxes, deer, and the like.

FISMA. wrote: »
    I would get out to the dealers and see what they have in stock. Timing is everything and you never know how/when someone changes their situations.

That idea is very tempting. But after thinking about it, I realise that the timing wouldn't be ideal if I was to find the right rifle just now, mainly for financial reasons as mentioned above.
    Nothing bad to say about Sako - I love my AV Finnbear, just have to dust it off to shoot it one of these days.:o

I've heard of the Finnbear, but don't know anything about it. I presume it was an older model, or was in particularly big calibres?
    Personally, if you have the 223, I would go for the 308. The 243 is a nice double-duty round, imo, if you are only going to have one gun for foxes, deer, and the like.

I think any deer calibre above .243 would do me fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

I got into deer stalking last year and moved on my 223, as I still want to keep on top of the foxes I bought got a sako 85 finnlight, synthetic stock with full stainless steel fluted barrel in 243. Admittedly it was €2000 new last year but it's been a great all rounder. Dropped my few Sika with it last year and can easily carry it anywhere slung over the shoulder without been fatigued from carrying it.

• Advertisement

I got into deer stalking last year and moved on my 223, as I still want to keep on top of the foxes I bought got a sako 85 finnlight, synthetic stock with full stainless steel fluted barrel in 243. Admittedly it was €2000 new last year but it's been a great all rounder. Dropped my few Sika with it last year and can easily carry it anywhere slung over the shoulder without been fatigued from carrying it.

There's a lot of sense in that, but I like my .223 way too much to give her up!

Also, I like the idea of a range of calibres for different applications, rather than one do-it-all rifle, though I can see the benefits in that too. The next rifle will be my third and final one, as in addition to the .223 I also have an old Krico .22wmr, which I'll also never part with.

I have this idea that when you've gone to all the trouble of sourcing, licencing and buying a suitable rifle, scope, the right mounts, accessories, ammo, maybe had the barrel threaded for a mod, put it all together and zeroed it in, become totally familiar over time with how it handles and shoots, that you've invested fairly heavily in it on all counts: time-wise, financially, and also, dare I say it, emotionally. If you then sell or trade it, you're going to lose on all fronts, unless of course it really doesn't suit you, or you're forced to sell for some reason. So I can't see myself trading mine.

That's my philosophy on that subject anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

Theirs a basically new (20rounds) 85 s/s synthetic in .308 on the stalkers directory for stg 950.00 with no takers ,850/900 would probably buy it ,that's a sako for tikka money !

...the timing wouldn't be ideal if I was to find the right rifle just now, mainly for financial reasons as mentioned above.

For me, the best time to start looking is when I don't have the do$h to buy. Helps prevents impulse purchases. However, if I find a deal...

Right now, I am saving for my next scope. Still not there, but will have it next season.
    I've heard of the Finnbear, but don't know anything about it. I presume it was an older model, or was in particularly big calibres?

Y'ep. 338 WM - kicks like a mule. Far worse than my heavy hitter.
    I think any deer calibre above .243 would do me fine.

I've heard nothing but great things about the 243. However, in Eire, I would go with a 308. Maybe a 7mm Rem Mag if a nice one popped up.

Theirs a basically new (20rounds) 85 s/s synthetic in .308 on the stalkers directory for stg 950.00 with no takers ,850/900 would probably buy it ,that's a sako for tikka money !

Are you trying to wreck a marriage, or what? LOL!

Thanks, I had seen that, although I didn't notice he'd dropped the price again. Very tempting, and that's what I meant about the option of getting one from the UK. But, whatever about the money, this is seriously the wrong time for me to be trying to licence a rifle from the UK, as things are about to get very intense for me work-wise, and I just won't have the time to go getting everything I need for a letter from the NPWS, applying for a firearms licence, having the rifle imported into Ireland etc etc. Shame, because it's probably exactly what I'll be looking for at an amazing price.

Must resist... can resist... grunt... gasp... wheeze...

Right now, I am saving for my next scope. Still not there, but will have it next season.

What scope are you saving for?

What scope are you saving for?
    Was thinking about the NF Competition, but will probably go with an 8-80 magnification March.

Advertisement