Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking recommendation for VOIP service

Options
  • 07-08-2016 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    My elderly parents don't use their land line really anymore but they want to keep their old landline number for a few reasons, they mostly use their mobile phones now. They already have a reliable broadband service that doesn't use their land line so I've suggested they move to VOIP.
    The landline number isn't really used for outgoing calls, more so for incoming. Might someone be able to recommend a service/package which would work with the likes of a Cisco SPA112 SIP adapter to reused their existing phone? I see providers like Blueface and Goldfish but I don't know the pitfalls to look out for (hidden charges etc.)

Cheers,
    Kerb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    My elderly parents don't use their land line really anymore but they want to keep their old landline number for a few reasons, they mostly use their mobile phones now. They already have a reliable broadband service that doesn't use their land line so I've suggested they move to VOIP.
    The landline number isn't really used for outgoing calls, more so for incoming. Might someone be able to recommend a service/package which would work with the likes of a Cisco SPA112 SIP adapter to reused their existing phone? I see providers like Blueface and Goldfish but I don't know the pitfalls to look out for (hidden charges etc.)

Cheers,
    Kerb

I've been using freespeech.ie very successfully for a number of years. Pretty well all my calls were made over VOIP during that time.

I recently cancelled my landline contract with Eir as I was not using that service which as it happens is vastly over-priced for what it offers and delivers. I wish I had done it years ago, and saved myself the standing charges.
    Having cancelled the Eir contract, I then ported my landline number to freespeech.ie in what was a seamless transfer. Eir do not offer a broadband service in the rural area where I live and show no inclination to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

kesey wrote: »
    I've been using freespeech.ie very successfully for a number of years. Pretty well all my calls were made over VOIP during that time.

I recently cancelled my landline contract with Eir as I was not using that service which as it happens is vastly over-priced for what it offers and delivers. I wish I had done it years ago, and saved myself the standing charges.
    Having cancelled the Eir contract, I then ported my landline number to freespeech.ie in what was a seamless transfer. Eir do not offer a broadband service in the rural area where I live and show no inclination to do so.
    I thought the porting had to be arranged prior to cancelling the landline with eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

kesey wrote: »

Thanks for the recommendation kesey - looking at their rates for non-landline charges, looks expensive but I've never really looked at the costs before.
    I thought the porting had to be arranged prior to cancelling the landline with eir.

Thats what I thought - you can reclaim your number if you cancel it before porting but its a PITA

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

"Note that if ADSL is connected to your landline the port will be rejected, likewise if you have unpaid bills or are in contract. If you wish to proceed we can send the porting form. Porting normally takes 48 hours."

I cancelled the contract and applied for the port the same day. It went through in 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

What is most common with Eir is that if you port your number while connected to both landline and broadband is that both get cancelled and you are forced to reconnect broadband...

• Advertisement

Seems that freespeech.ie don't port numbers anymore - any other recommendations?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Seems that freespeech.ie don't port numbers anymore - any other recommendations?

goldfish seem to be the cheapest. Blueface do contracts.

http://www.irishvoip.com/

are also an option, think they do porting

Mr. G wrote: »
    goldfish seem to be the cheapest. Blueface do contracts.

http://www.irishvoip.com/

are also an option, think they do porting

Yup, ended going with IrishVOIP.com
    Fit my use case perfectly and they went above/beyond to answer my random questions and followed up to ensure all was OK :) customer care you rarely get these days

Advertisement