Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aldi/lidl/ebay helmets.

Options
  • 07-08-2016 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Just curious. Has anyone here used any of the aldi/lidl helmets or purchased any from eBay. Not branded ones (giro/kadk etc) but the cheap chinease sellers have? Personally I'd be very wary of buying any but a c g ap I know bought a rockbros one recently and thinks it's great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

My wife has a Lidl helmet, she loves it.
    We don't know yet, if it's any good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what was that comment i remember james may relating about when he asked how long car tyres would last at 260mph? 'ask an admiral how deep his submarines can go. he doesn't know until they try'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

All helmets sold here have to meet a minimum safety rating

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

dunworth1 wrote: »

And I wouldn't ware anything without it. Look out for the CE mark. There is also a DN number

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

dunworth1 wrote: »
    true, but i often wonder how many of the more expensive helmets exceed the minimum standard, or if they do, do they exceed it by a wider margin than the cheaper ones.
    is it true that generally, cheaper ones are made in a narrow range of sizes, making it harder to find a decent fit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just curious. Has anyone here used any of the aldi/lidl helmets or purchased any from eBay. Not branded ones (giro/kadk etc) but the cheap chinease sellers have? Personally I'd be very wary of buying any but a c g ap I know bought a rockbros one recently and thinks it's great.

I don't think Lidl/Aldi helmets should be grouped together with cheap Chinese knock-offs helmets from ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

true, but i often wonder how many of the more expensive helmets exceed the minimum standard, or if they do, do they exceed it by a wider margin than the cheaper ones. is it true that generally, cheaper ones are made in a narrow range of sizes, making it harder to find a decent fit?
    It's probably the cheaper ones that exceed the standards more. The more expensive ones are about being lighter/ more aero/ breathable (whatever) whilst still meeting the standards.

I'd have zero qualms about lidl and aldi helmets. I put the children in them, which is about a good an endorsement as I can give!

Whilst I do buy some Chinese gear, I wouldn't be trusting their helmets.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,575 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

godtabh wrote: »
    And I wouldn't ware anything without it. Look out for the CE mark. There is also a DN number

Not to be confused with the "C E" mark denoting Chinese Export, an unfortunate coincidence that it's almost identical to the CE mark ;)

http://siloscordoba.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/CE-and-China-Export.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

true, but i often wonder how many of the more expensive helmets exceed the minimum standard, or if they do, do they exceed it by a wider margin than the cheaper ones.

When Which? magazine did a test, the more expensive helmets didn't pass the requirements more often than the cheap ones. There was a surprisingly high level of failure all round.

There are helmets with fake safety certificates sold online. I can't remember the details, but I'll try to find a link.

EDIT:
    http://www.bikebiz.com/index.php/news/read/fake-sense-of-security-counterfeit-helmets-are-not-for-headbangers/019428
    Actually masquerading as branded helmets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm not a fan of helmets but due to relentless hassle from my kids, wife, parents and friends I succumbed and bought a lid from Lidl just to shut them up.

It's comfortable and has various safety standard marks. It's adjustable and has removable pads for washing.

I haven't crashed it yet so can't (and hopefully won't ever have to) comment on that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I have had a variety of helmets and a variety of needs for them.

I splashed out last year and bought a nice Bell helmet to match my bike. Fit well. Comfortable.

I also bought a helmet in Lidl to use commuting as it has a light in the back. Fits very well and very comfortable.

And finally, I have a BBB helmet that I use(d) sporadically.

Now the knocks:
    - thankfully no falls with the Lidl helmet
    - BBB helmet had a few falls but none where I hit my head. Helmet still functioning.
    - the most expensive helmet cracked in two right down the middle in the foam part on a very light impact so it had to go straight to the bin. I don't even remember hitting my head and my knee/hip took the brunt of the impact.

So I don't think the price of the helmet makes it any better or worse, once it meets safety standards and fits you, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

_Brian wrote: »
    Not to be confused with the "C E" mark denoting Chinese Export, an unfortunate coincidence that it's almost identical to the CE mark ;)

http://siloscordoba.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/CE-and-China-Export.jpg

Deliberate obvuscation by the Chinese ?

I love my Lidl helmet. As good as any branded one I ever owned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

I've had a Lidl one for a year or so, and it seems fine. The layer of padding at the brow succumbed to my relentless sweating and dropped out, but a bit of superglue has sorted that. There is a built in light, and I couldn't work out how to change the battery on it. My current problem is that the straps are a little 'musty' with our warm summer, but I can't detach them for washing.

crosstownk wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of helmets but due to relentless hassle from my kids, wife, parents and friends I succumbed and bought a lid from Lidl just to shut them up.

Nobody ever hassles me. I think they just don't want to be bored to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i bought a tesco one and its fine

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... the straps are a little 'musty' with our warm summer, but I can't detach them for washing.
    I wipe them with baby wipes after each ride. It keeps them reasonably clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Nobody ever hassles me. I think they just don't want to be bored to death.

I came off the bike going up a climb.i got out of saddle to pull..chain slipped and jammed rear wheel. Probably only doing 15 kph at the time..helmet cracked right open on the side
    On a side fall the head tends to hit the ground harder than the rest of your body , the forward momentum speeds up the impact. Rather a cracked helmet than a cracked skull.
    Not trying to preach to you.. just a real event that happened freakishly at a slow pace, I was very conscious that my head hit the ground hard, helmet did it's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

I currently wear this helmet from ali express. I don't necessarily have any concerns that it may not be up to the job, it's as solid as any other aldi/lidl helmet i've ever owned.

http://s.aliexpress.com/zYvqeqQn

secman wrote: »
    I came off the bike going up a climb.i got out of saddle to pull..chain slipped and jammed rear wheel. Probably only doing 15 kph at the time..helmet cracked right open on the side
    On a side fall the head tends to hit the ground harder than the rest of your body , the forward momentum speeds up the impact. Rather a cracked helmet than a cracked skull.
    Not trying to preach to you.. just a real event that happened freakishly at a slow pace, I was very conscious that my head hit the ground hard, helmet did it's job.

There's a whole thread for such discussions. I've heard every bit of evidence, pretty much, at this stage, and it's pretty much all over there.

(Prepare to be bored to death, as I said.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

sullivlo wrote:
    Now the knocks: - thankfully no falls with the Lidl helmet - BBB helmet had a few falls but none where I hit my head. Helmet still functioning. - the most expensive helmet cracked in two right down the middle in the foam part on a very light impact so it had to go straight to the bin. I don't even remember hitting my head and my knee/hip took the brunt of the impact.

So I don't think the price of the helmet makes it any better or worse, once it meets safety standards and fits you, go for it.
    My understanding is that the cracking/ splitting is part of the impact absorption (like crumple zones in cars), so it isn't necessarily a sign of it not being as good.

Safety wise, as I said, the cheaper are at least as good, if not better safety wise.

As someone who didn't bother with a decent/ expensive helmet for years, I wouldn't go back after getting used to the lighter weight and better ventilation of my current lid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Incidentally, why don't Lidl have measurements in centimetres on their children's helmets, as they do with the adult ones? How can you buy a child a well-fitting helmet without measuring it? And don't say 'try it on'; if you're not used to a helmet, you won't know how it's meant to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. I don't necessarily have any concerns that it may not be up to the job, it's as solid as any other aldi/lidl helmet i've ever owned...
    Why would you want a helmet to be 'solid'? It's the last thing I would want - the more solid the helmet, the less energy it will dissipate, with the result that your head will have to do it instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Interesting video about MIPS technology and helmet testing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Whatever about Lidl/Aldi helmets which will pass any test, I suspect, be REALLY careful about buying online frmo 'unknown' sources. I'd be very careful about sellers on Alibaba too. There are fake helments out there that are little more than poylstyrene foam
    Have a read of this thread on lfgss.com if you want (hopefully it is accessible to non-members?)
    https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/288078/

Advertisement