Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerously faulty hedge trimmer

Options
  • 07-08-2016 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I hired a Stihl extension hedge trimmer on Saturday and discovered the blades were moving while the engine was idling by cutting my fingers.

I've used one of these tools many times without a problem but the blades were moving slowly at idle when the engine was cold and rapidly after extended use at full power.

In the Stihl safety manual it states the blades must not be moving at idle but the tool hire company owner will not take any responsibility and says it's my fault.

Is there a governing body - such as the HSA - who enforces safety standards for tool hire companies?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

What do you want from the hire company? Money?

Why, how bad was your injury?

What specific model trimmer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Nick Lawson

Not to hire dangerous equipment, an apology and waiving the hire fee would be a start.

Out of hours GP 20km away, steri strips, tetanus injection and €60 medical fee.

Don't know the exact model - extension hedge trimmer with interchangeable head

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Skihunta13

I hired a Stihl extension hedge trimmer on Saturday and discovered the blades were moving while the engine was idling by cutting my fingers.

I've used one of these tools many times without a problem but the blades were moving slowly at idle when the engine was cold and rapidly after extended use at full power.

In the Stihl safety manual it states the blades must not be moving at idle but the tool hire company owner will not take any responsibility and says it's my fault.

Is there a governing body - such as the HSA - who enforces safety standards for tool hire companies?

Thanks in advance.

So you only discovered they were moving when you cut your finger? You didn't see them moving?
    Maybe you're not competent enough to use such a machine. Your fault op. No easy money fix here. Check the terms of your hire agreement. And cop on while you are at it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if the manual says the blades should not move when at idle, and the blades do move when at idle, the equipment is clearly not functioning correctly. what the law says on this i do not know, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

From manual of similar :

To reduce the risk of injury from blade contact, be absolutely sure that the cutting tool is clear of you and all other obstructions and objects, including the
    ground,
    because when the engine starts at starting-throttle, engine speed will be fast enough for the clutch to engage and move the blades on the cutting tool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

From same :
    If the cutting tool becomes clogged or stuck, always turn off the engine and make sure the cutting tool has stopped before cleaning. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Doesn't sound like a fault with the actual machine but improper use by handler.

Not to hire dangerous equipment, an apology and waiving the hire fee would be a start.

Out of hours GP 20km away, steri strips, tetanus injection and 60 medical fee.

Don't know the exact model - extension hedge trimmer with interchangeable head

Not gonna happen.

Firstly it seems you returned the hire tool? If so, you cannot prove it was defective at time of use so your word against hire shop.

Second: have you been formally trained how to use the tool? That would be important if you were bringing this to court

Third and most importantly, why were your hands near the blade in the first place? Even the best designed safety mechanisms can and do fail.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Agreed, I've had one of these extension Stihl hedge trimmers for years and find it great, but as stated in the manual you turn off the engine before going anywhere near the blades. Idling speed on two stroke motors varies a bit with engine speed, condition of the plugs, correct fuel to oil mix etc... so it is not clever to depend on it as a safety measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

@smacl
    Common sense says you shouldn't stick your fingers near moving parts on any activated machine. Very lucky to come away with only a cut and a tetanus shot.

There is a 'dial' on most machines to increase/decrease the available power, so that the chain on a saw shouldn't move; a strimmer head won't rotate and a hedger won't cut when idling. It's usually only accessible with a small screwdriver.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

I'm minded of my own lawnmower when i put my hand anywhere near the blade. I turn it off, then i pull the plug lead, and even at that i'm still aware that moving the blade could cause compression enough to make it jump.
    Move on Nick, and thank your stars it was a cheap lesson, i've a friend short most his fingers on one hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Snowflakes keep fallin' on my head
    Just like the guy whose feet are too big for his bed
    Nothing seems to fit
    Oh, snowflakes keep fallin' on my head
    Keep a-fallin'

Cause I just done me some talking to the sun
    And I said I didn't like the way he got things done
    Sleeping on the job
    Oh, snowflakes keep fallin' on my head
    Keep a-fallin'

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Er, yes, right. I am sure that is very profound. (Can someone explain it to me?)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Skihunta13

looksee wrote: »
    Er, yes, right. I am sure that is very profound. (Can someone explain it to me?)

I have nothing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looksee wrote: »
    it's probably a reference to 'the snowflake generation' which is becoming a much loved term used by the likes of irish times letter writers to denigrate those younger than themselves who have supposedly had their hands held all through their lives so supposedly cannot take responsibility for their own actions.

all apologies to Calahonda if i read that wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

thread took a strange twist there :)....anyway, no offence OP but fingers on blades is never a good idea....blades should not move on idle (correct idle) as for any come back, well thats a huge grey area...if you still have fingers then all is well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stephen.rooney 89

Is Boards.ie just a talking shop for disgruntled people

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Is Boards.ie just a talking shop for disgruntled people

Can't tell if this thread is classed as light entertainment, gave me a chuckle.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm reminded of the phrase "A bad workman blames his tools"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

This incident is definitely a software problem and not a hardware problem...

Who puts their fingers near a moving blade!?!

This incident is definitely a software problem and not a hardware problem...

Who puts their fingers near a moving blade!?!

this guy...check out the helmet lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiYoBbEZwlk

I think the OP has left

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Cleaning a hedge trimmer with the engine running is pure madness.

These blades rattle too when they are moving and with the engine idle it would be easy to hear them.

Multiple conclusions jumped to here and scant empathy.

I've used this type of tool multiple times without a problem; I'm aware that fingers and moving blades are not a good combo..

The incident occurred when adjusting the blade angle - the adjusting handle was used but my hand caught on returning it down to my side, a glancing blow. I did not notice the blades moving due to their speed and unconsciously expecting the blades to be stationary due to extensive previous experience.

It's also virtually impossible to safely restart the machine when the blades are at an angle as it can't be laid flat and therefore would be resting on the blades which would damage them.

If the blades had not been moving - like they shouldn't have been as clearly stated in the Stihl safety manual - there wouldn't have been a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Multiple conclusions jumped to here and scant empathy.

I've used this type of tool multiple times without a problem; I'm aware that fingers and moving blades are not a good combo..

The incident occurred when adjusting the blade angle - the adjusting handle was used but my hand caught on returning it down to my side, a glancing blow. I did not notice the blades moving due to their speed and unconsciously expecting the blades to be stationary due to extensive previous experience.

If the blades was had not been moving - like they shouldn't have been as clearly stated in the Stihl safety manual - there wouldn't have been a problem.

The manual for the sthil hedge trimmer says the blades shouldn't move at idle, but it says to return it for repair if they do move at idle.

The manual also says to wear heavy duty gloves when using the trimmer and never to have your hands near the blades when it is started.

http://www.stihl.co.uk/controls/baonline/Download.aspx?Document=01_189.pdf

_Brian wrote: »
    The manual for the sthil hedge trimmer says the blades shouldn't move at idle, but it says to return it for repair if they do move at idle.

Discovered this too late..
    _Brian wrote: »
    The manual also says to wear heavy duty gloves when using the trimmer and never to have your hands near the blades when it is started.

I was wearing gloves. As explained above, it's virtually impossible to restart the machine with the blades at an angle therefore it's practical and reasonable to adjust the blades angle using the adjustment handle with the engine idling

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

As explained above, it's virtually impossible to restart the machine with the blades at an angle therefore it's practical and reasonable to adjust the blades angle using the adjustment handle with the engine idling

If it is the HL 100 I've never had a problem starting it with the blade at an angle, albeit I always start it on a step with the blade in the air. While I wouldn't dream of adjusting the blade angle with the motor running, the manual seems to think its ok, which surprises me as most of the manual is made up of warnings about things you shouldn't do. Maybe drop a line to Stihl themselves as they're a very well thought of manufacturer.

393801.JPG

smacl wrote: »
    393801.JPG

Thank you - that's exactly what I did. Would you mind providing a link to where you found that information?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Advertisement