Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help!

• 07-08-2016 4:28pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 46

33 yr old male with 9+ years no claims driving experience.

Lost my job a few years ago to recession like everyone else hence had to sell car as couldn't afford it effectively losing my no claims.

Recently back in work but need a car for transport but the price of insurance is crazy.

Most places wont even quote me and the ones that do are looking for 2-3k.

Feels like im being punished for losing my job, and its not like i was put off the road or was abroad. Not looking for sympathy but something has to change for scenarios similar like this.

I now have to start from the very beginning as if i'm a first time driver yet have 9+ years experience.

Is there any insurance companies out there that will give me a respectable quote or even acknowledge the position i was put in.

Much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Try bank of Ireland. Apparently they are the least expensive now. I'll be trying them on next renewal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Your last insurer is best contact. Depending on the rapour you had with them, that will be the best place to start. They'll know that they may have to finally quote you under the declined-cases-agreement so hope all goes well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I feel your pain OP. I am in the process of selling my car because of the insane cost of insurance now. My insurance 3 years ago was €451, and now they want €1,228.05. No claims, no penalty points 8 years no claims bonus.

Something needs to be done with these insurance companies.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 46 Rhaegal

Thanks for the replies guys

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

Hi ya,

If it's of any help, I tried New Ireland insurance for my 21 year old son, full licence over 14th months, 0 years as named driver, got quote for 5,000 online, next day got call from sales and if my son agreed to put tracker type thing on car and limited mileage, they varied from 6,000 to 16000 km, I went for 16000 km as my son would drive round trip of 320 km home every 2nd or 3rd weekend.
    The quote was €1700, and if he didn't do any excessive braking, breaking speed limits they would reward with extra km's.

Seems to be best so far.

Insurance is gone crazy mine went up 100 this year😕

Car 1.4 petrol 2004 honda civic standard Irish car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Shanic

I've been named driver on partners insurance for 6 yrs with prov licence and hadn't been driving. Got 2nd car and went looking for quotes and most were 1500 up to 3000. Tried Top Quote online then and it went down to just under 1200 after an hour or so I got a call from them saying they wanted to go over details with me to see if could get it cheaper and said if I put partner under me it would be cheaper and that if I could get documents stating my named driving experience etc the quote I then got was just over 800 through them with AXA. I'm female and 30. If they can take into account my named driving experience... Which as i already stated, I didn't drive at all! Then surely there has to be a way you can get documentation from previous insurers that should stand for something! Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

florawest wrote: »
    Hi ya,

If it's of any help, I tried New Ireland insurance for my 21 year old son, full licence over 14th months, 0 years as named driver, got quote for 5,000 online, next day got call from sales and if my son agreed to put tracker type thing on car and limited mileage, they varied from 6,000 to 16000 km, I went for 16000 km as my son would drive round trip of 320 km home every 2nd or 3rd weekend.
    The quote was €1700, and if he didn't do any excessive braking, breaking speed limits they would reward with extra km's.

Seems to be best so far.

Insurance is gone crazy mine went up 100 this year😕

Car 1.4 petrol 2004 honda civic standard Irish car.

New Ireland is a Life & Pensions Assurance Company. They are part of the BOI Group. Do you mean them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

New Ireland is a Life & Pensions Assurance Company. They are part of the BOI Group. Do you mean them?

I suspect they may be getting new Ireland and the brokers First Ireland mixed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I suspect they may be getting new Ireland and the brokers First Ireland mixed up.

That's why I asked the OP the question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

I feel your pain OP. I am in the process of selling my car because of the insane cost of insurance now. My insurance 3 years ago was €451, and now they want €1,228.05. No claims, no penalty points 8 years no claims bonus.

Something needs to be done with these insurance companies.
    That is f**king abhorrent.
    florawest wrote: »
    I don't like the idea of this. Speed limits sure. Punishment for penalty points fine. But private companies should not be dictating how someone operates the vehicle they are driving in the form of rewards. There is a driving test and there are rules of the road, and both are regulated by the RSA and the Gardaí.

Put it this way, if one company chooses to reward a lack of excessive braking, what is stopping another company rewarding excessive braking? (apart from the seeming stupidity of it, they should be allowed to). It sets a bad precedent imo.

• Advertisement

Quick update

Being ringing around all week and no company will insure me or even give me a quote.

Over 30 and don't have a no claims means you cant get insured.

Wtf am i meant to do???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Rhaegal wrote: »
    Quick update

Being ringing around all week and no company will insure me or even give me a quote.

Wtf am i meant to do???
    Ring them all.

The by law (if no quote is offered) one of the companies will be forced to offer you a quote. Though it could be astronomical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,470 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Rhaegal wrote: »
    Quick update

Wtf am i meant to do???

Same situation as you. 33 and lost all my no claims due to living abroad. All quotes were between €2800 and €4000.

After 60 odd calls I got fully comp with cover in a click for €1200.

Phone them all. Forget putting your details in on websites and don't ring brokers.

^ will try "cover in a click" thanks

Update: Rang Axa an hour ago asking could i go under another policy and the nice agent in Derry asked my situation. I explained whats been happening and he was able to give me a policy in my own name for €1300 after three previous agents inc a manager in Dublin said i couldn't get insurance been over 30 and having no no claims.

Apparently they mustn't have read the small print saying i could get insured having previous no claims experience.

Not sure wtf is going on with these insurance companies but glad that nice agent sorted me out.

Cheers Paddy and thanks to everyone for your help!

Advertisement