Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Imagine broadband - connection between modem and router

• 07-08-2016 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭

I'm think of moving from Ripplecom to Imagine 4G. At the moment, the Ripplecom "dish" is on the roof and is connected to the PSU/modem in the utility room with an CAT5 ethernet cable. Does anyone know what way the Imagine kit fits together? Ideally it would be great it was similar to Ripplecom so that I can just reuse the same cable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

highdef wrote: »
    I'm think of moving from Ripplecom to Imagine 4G. At the moment, the Ripplecom "dish" is on the roof and is connected to the PSU/modem in the utility room with an CAT5 ethernet cable. Does anyone know what way the Imagine kit fits together? Ideally it would be great it was similar to Ripplecom so that I can just reuse the same cable.

It is connected similarly, however the installer may insist that they need to replace the Cat5 as they could not guarantee the existing one. So expect some resistance to re-use. At worst, they could use the old Cat5 to fish the new one through the existing hole(s) to get inside.

Also the Imagine signal may not necessarily come from the same location as your Ripplecom one (unless you know this already). They could be off the opposite side of the house.

The Antenna and Modem/Router will definitely be replaced as part of the install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭highdef

Yes, the antenna will be on a different part of the house. I don't mind having new CAT5 from there to the attic however from there it would be awkward to get any new cables down two floors to the utility room as the original builder didn't do a great job with regards to cable routing.

Cheers though, very helpful reply :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭highdef

OK, just one more question. A colleague has also ordered this service. The sales guy said that 2 CAT5 cables come from the outside antenna to the modem. Is this true? I can't see why 2 cables would be required. My current setup with Ripplecom works with just one cable. Data up/down and power. I would have thought 4 pairs of cable would be enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

If you see this post in the Imagine LTE Thread on the main Broadband page, you can see an external antenna and a single cable going to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭editorsean

The sales guy might be confusing the external antenna with a passive cellular LTE (4G) antenna such as for picking up Three 4G.

Passive 4G antennas require two coaxial leads between the indoor antenna and the outdoor antenna. One cable carries the vertical polarisation signal and the other carries the horizontal polarisation signal as the radio hardware is in the indoor router the cables attach to.

With Imagine's active LTE antenna, the radio hardware is in the antenna itself, so it just needs a single network cable to carry the data. Power is supplied over this same network cable to power the access point in the antenna, similar to your previous Ripplecom dish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭morgana

Yup. There are two antennas in the outdoor unit itself, but just one cable connecting it to the WS-600. They did not re-use the Ripplecom cable but I didn't ask for it either. Their cable is quite a bit thicker than the Ripplecom one (which they left in place, but kindly removed the old Ripplecom antenna that they never bothered to pick up)

Advertisement