Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Simple Program To Get Stronger

• 07-08-2016 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Long time lurker, starting this for a bit of motivation and accountability. I've recently got a nasty finger injury which has ended my season GAA wise so trying to use the time off productively by blatantly ripping off Hanley's brilliant thread and trying to get stronger.

My starting maxes are:

Squat: 85kg
    Bench: 60kg
    Deadlift: 100kg

This was my first year doing any sort of weight training so I'm coming from a low base. I'm going to do a squat day, bench day and deadlift/back day. I might try and look at adding a OHP day, maybe in the second set of 6 weeks but I'll wait and see on that one.

Main goal is pretty straight forward - to get stronger. I'm also going to incorporate plenty of stretching, foam rolling and swimming also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GeordieRebel

7/8/16

Week 1 - Squat Day - 70% - 5 x 8

Squat

60kg x 5 x 8

Front squat

40kg x 2 x 8
    35kg x 3 x 8

Lunges

5 x 8 e/s

Hamstring Curls

50kg x 4 x 12

Single Leg Elevated Calf Raises

4 x 12

Went pretty well. Wasn't sure what weight to use for the B and C elements so I'll have a better idea next week. Squats went up and down nicely.

9/8/16

Week 1 - Bench Press Day.

A - Bench

42.5kg x 5 x 8

B - Incline Bench

32.5kg x 5 x 8

C - Close-Grip Bench

32.5kg x 5 x 8

D - Tricep Pushdowns

4 x 12

E - Ring Rows

4 x 12

Followed by a lot of stretching/rolling. This was pretty easy to be honest. Started light with B and C to make sure I could get it all done first time round. I'll be able to progress it next week.

11/8/16

Week 1 - Deadlift + Back Day - 70% - 5 x 8

Deadlift

70kg x 5 x 8

RDL

35kg x 5 x 8

Barbell Row

35kg x 5 x 8

Lat Pulldown

4 x 12

Horizontal Row

4 x 12

Toughest day by quite a distance. Never RDL'd before and never done that amount of deadlifts. Got through it though.

13/8/16

Week 2 - Squat Day - 75% - 5 x 6

Squat

65 x 5 x 6+ (8 on the last set)

Front Squat

40 x 5 x 8

Lunges

8kg x 5 x 8

Calf Raises

14kg x 4 x 12 e/l

Hamstring Curl

50 x 4 x 12

I had somehow never noticed the + in the program until I went and doubled checked the sets this week.

Would have preferred to have left this until tommorow because the hamstrings were still a bit sore after the deadlift day but heading up to the hurling so got it done today. It went pretty well though. The front squats in particular felt stronger than last week. Didn't progress the hamstring curls, just felt a bit too tight. It might be an idea to switch it onto the deadlift day and do running mans or something else on the squat day.

16/8/16

Week 2 - Bench Press Day.

A - Bench

45kg x 5 x 6+ (10 on the last set)

B - Incline Bench

35kg x 3 x 8
    35kg x 1 x 5
    32.5kg x 2 x 8

C - Close-Grip Bench

35kg x 5 x 8

D - Tricep Pushdowns

4 x 12

E - Ring Rows

4 x 12

Felt good. I'll go for a roll/stretch and a bit of a swim later too just to loosen out.

• Advertisement

18/8/16

Week 2 - Deadlift and Back Day - 75% - 5 x 6+

Deadlift

75kg x 5 x 6

RDL

37.5kg x 5 x 8

Barbell Row

37.5kg x 5 x 8

Lat Pulldown

4 x 12

Hamstring Curl

52.5kg x 4 x 12

This kicked my ass again but a small bit easier than last week. I think I'm more used to the lower reps which has made this week slightly more comfortable.

22/8/16

Week 3 - Squat Day - 80% - 5 X 5+

Squat

67.5kg x 5 x 5

Front Squat

42.5kg x 5 x 8

Lunges

12.5kg x 5 x 8 e/l

Calf raises

12.5kg x 4 x 12 e/l

Leg Press

80kg x 4 X 12

We got knocked out of championship so had a bit of a session last night and paid for it with the squats today. Felt heavier and harder than it should have. The rest of the session went well though, especially the front squats.

24/8/16

Week 3 - Bench Day - 80% - 5 x 5+

Bench Press

47.5kg x 5 x 5+ (8)

Incline Bench

35kg x 4 x 8
    32.5kg x 1 x 8

Close-Grip Bench

37.5kg x 4 x 8
    35kg x 5 x 8

Tricep Pushdowns

4 x 12

Ring Rows

4 x 12

Went well. Progress on B and C is slowing down but I guess that's to be expected. My quads/hips were still sore from the last day so spent a bit of extra time rolling and stretching.

26/8/16

Week 3 - Deadlift Day - 80% x 5 x 5

Deadlift

80kg x 5 x 5

Barbell Row

40kg x 5 x 5

RDL

40kg x 5 x 5

Lat Pulldown

4 x 12

Ring Row

4 x 12

By far the best deadlift day so far. Felt easy compared to the first two days.

Quick aside is I'm moving to Dublin for a job next week so need to find a new gym/club to train in. Going to be living in Ringsend so will probably join the flyefit on Macken Street for a month to keep me ticking over while scoping out options.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Where are you working?

There's most likely somewhere between where you'll live and where you work that'll be worth checking out.

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    Where are you working?

There's most likely somewhere between where you'll live and where you work that'll be worth checking out.

I'll be pretty much around the corner from the Bord Gais Theatre so Macken Street seems pretty handy from that regard.

Any recommendations would be great. I only mentioned Flyefit because I passed it when going for the viewing. I've no real clue about gyms in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'll be pretty much around the corner from the Bord Gais Theatre so Macken Street seems pretty handy from that regard.

Any recommendations would be great. I only mentioned Flyefit because I passed it when going for the viewing. I've no real clue about gyms in Dublin.

FlyeFit Macken St is easily the handiest and best option if you're in Ringsend.

Next closest would probably be Sportsco but that is more expenmsive and has less in the way of free weights. Not sure if they have any racks.

29/8/16

Week 4 - Squat Day - 85% - 5 x 4

Squat

72.5kg x 5 x 4+ (6 and 3/4)

Front Squat

42.5kg x 2 x 8
    40kg x 3 x 8

Lunges

5 x 8

Calf raises

12kg e/s x 4 x 12

Bridges

4 x 12

First time in Flyefit. The place is pretty cool but I'd imagine it can be pretty hectic at peak times. It felt slightly weird to be working out in such a different kind of space to the quietness of a Gaa club gym but it was enjoyable. Session went pretty well. Starting the new job Wednesday so I'll fit in the bench day tomorrow.

30/8/16

Week 4 - Bench Day - 85% - 5 x 4

Bench

52.5kg x 5 x 4+ (6)

Close-Grip Bench

37.5kg x 5 x 8

Incline Bench

37.5kg x 1 x 8
    35kg x 1 x 8
    32.5kg x 3 x 8

Tricep Pushdowns

4 x 12

Rows

4 x 12

Foam rolling/stretching

Went grand except for forgetting to lower the weight from the close grip to the incline bench which scuppered the rest of the sets.

Quick update. I managed to pop my collarbone playing five a side with the new work last week. Bit of a disaster! Six weeks in a sling and I presume a bit of minding it after that as well. I'll restart the program and log when I'm back.

Advertisement